Is he right? Are modern film soundtracks a fucking joke?

Is he right? Are modern film soundtracks a fucking joke?

yes he is

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7vfqkvwW2fs
youtube.com/watch?v=07T44OBwyJc
youtube.com/watch?v=PX2oYPzr3jY
youtube.com/watch?v=4xdyx5NVUhI
youtube.com/watch?v=rZk-MW1ClVA
youtube.com/watch?v=5o2E5DpURy8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This isn't a place for intelligent film discussion

fuck I forgot the link

youtu.be/7vfqkvwW2fs

>I know what I'll do to convince myself that film school wasn't a complete waste. I'll create a YouTube page to tell normies basic things anyone who even watches films sporadically should pick up on

>Wank youtube channel
>intelligent film discussion

hah yeah the uhhh the curtains are red because it looks like blood hah like and subscribe!

>I know all about soundtracks don't need to tell me. I listen to Radiohead after all

This, i don't get why people talk about his channel so much, it's basic stuff

Whats the over/under on "modern?"

The Le Matos soundtrack for turbokid was 10/10.

How's high school?

>le Tony "I do not create anything, just complain" Chou

Do you know anything about critiquing?

I like his videos, and I rarely use this term, but he is reddit personified. He sounds like what reddit would sound if it were a human being, with that snazzy, hip little way of talking.

Does that matter

Fuck off Tony.

>itt jealous kids who wish it was their yiutube channel

Sounds like any ABC from BC honestly.

I like his videos because they seem to be constructive and informational for the most part, even if they are the definition of entry level analysis.

>le I'm so smart
>is ez
>me know all

How's the new Reddit format?

Yeah I like his videos too, and I'm just meming with the reddit thing but the way he talks does irritate me. Same with the Nerdwriter guy. It's that kind of fake-spontaneous, ''I'm just having a casual laid back conversation'' type of talk that I detest in these videos.

And that ''human moment'' at the end of the video with the black guy singing... ugh.

As someone severely autistic concerning art and artistic expression, I'm very much into basic but well structured content that leads to further research. If Linkara wasn't as cringy and unethical as he loves to be, he'd be a good candidate for this too.

What made you guys so cynical? A guy made an informative short video about a topic he's passionate about and I think he's sincere about sharing his knowledge.
His other videos are interesting too. This should be encouraged even if you don't always like it.

The jackie chanand shooting action video was pretty good. But you can't go wrong with pasting clips of his together.

He's right. He's still an SJW shit though

Fuck off back to red.dit with this e-celeb shit

I said I like his videos generally, just that I don't like some aspects of their presentation.

No it wasn't because his basic argument was that all fight scenes that aren't shot like Jackie Chan ones are inferior.

He's right

>Are modern film soundtracks a joke

What's a "modern film"?

There's a reason why Mike decided to do his reviews as the Plinkett character. Otherwise he thought he'd just sound like a boring asshole, which is exactly what every other youtube video essay maker sounds like

Here take some fantastic soundtracks

everyone elses arguing over weather Tony is 'reddit' aside, this video was really interesting. I've been wondering why modern superhero scores suck ass recently and had absolutely no idea about the Temp Music thing. I feel so bad for Based Elfman in the video, he's my favorite film composer ever

use of temp music is old as shit though and existed long time before capeshit

Suddenly there are tons of threads about Tony since he targeted marvel movies. But this isn't the first time he's shit over marvel movies, wonder what bothered people so much this time.

>every frame a painting
Dont watch his shit. too retarded and pretentious for me

>muh comic movie console wars
>le drone

I don't think people are bothered about him attacking Marvel. I think some people are just annoyed that he's saying stuff lots of people already know (not everyone obviously, but people who have a deeper interest in film).

Fuck off back to Sup Forums

his last video was 4 months ago, wouldn't read too much into it.

>retarded
He does sound like a faggot, yes, but the things he explains are simple film making basics.

>all modern films
no
>all capeshit filth
obviously yes

LOL EFP video, stopped reading there.
No point arguing with faggots

Avengers and Iron Man 3 both had memorable themes t-b-h.

Add Thief to this list right now.

I just looked them up to try remember them and I've already forgotten them

Have you seen the catalog on Sup Forums? Basic stuff isn't even on the radar here, it's all shitposting and waifu posting.

>hes from vancouver
that explains everything

>What made you guys so cynical?

Virginity.

it's the bigotry of low expectations. most film critics these days are english majors who never actually studied film. a guy with a youtube channel giving you film school 101 information is a genius by comparison.

This is a joke right?
No Country for Old Men?

Who the fuck cares if he's "reddit" or not, that literally doesn't mean anything because Sup Forums thinks everything is reddit.

And anyway, he's right. The Marvel movies have hilariously safe soundtracks that all employ similar styles and instrumentation and etc, etc. They're all basically the same unmemorable "epic" soundtrack with slight variations. Just like the movies themselves.

The guy is literally an sjw (that one tweet is disgusting).
Only defended by retards and the invading wave of numales on Sup Forums

No wonder I find Hans Zimmer generic. Everyone copies him.
I'm sorry Hans

Sup Forumsbeards are offended by absolutely everything because they're so dumb and uninteresting. any display of eloquence, insight, or creativity reminds them that their only hobby is crying about identity politics on the internet and triggers a rant laced with misused terms like pretentious and terms that don't mean anything like "reddit," plus amusingly insecure declarations like "I already knew that! Stating the obvious much!?!?"

Place is irredeemably infested with retards.

>I don't agree with him on politics
>therefor everything he says is wrong
you fucking idiots these days I swear to god

What about people that don't care about politics or aren't aware of what someone tweets because they aren't a perpetually triggered, gossiping, beta waste of space who clings for dear life to cringeworthy terms like "nu-male" while being the textbook example of a feminine babyman?

lol, Sup Forums literally refuses to talk about movies. Just delete this board already.

And he's wrong. There aren't many films with catchy music in general. Even the very good ones everyone knows.

WHO CARES

KUBRICK COULD HAVE BEEN A LIBERAL TRANSEXUAL VEGAN WHO TAKES IT UP HIS ASS EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK AND I WOULD STILL WATCH HIS MOVIES IF THEY WERE MADE THE SAME

WHO FUCKING CARES MAN

>The guy is literally a [...] (that one tweet is disgusting).
>Only defended by retards and the invading wave of [...] on Sup Forums

Would be a fun game to try to guess whether passages like this were written by Henrietta the Beached Feminist or Cletus the Alt-Right Commenting Crusader

Isn't he responsible for Pirates of the Caribbean music?

How will Marvelcucks ever recover?

Usually when a movie has a "sountrack by Hans Zimmer" it's not even composed by him. Hans Zimmer is a brand now, he has a bunch of cucks doing his job for him most of the time and at best does one or two tracks for the film.

no

kek

This. Also these countless channels where people explain "game design". Fucking waste of time.

Damn, look at that. Good coordination on correcting and educating, friends. It's 2016 after all

That was over a decade ago

>sjws roam free and act uppity at Sup Forums nowadays

You're the one who does background checks on people to make sure they don't have any triggering opinions before you watch their videos.

I guess Sup Forums doesn't quite meet the minimum intelligence requirement for basic self-awareness.

>"Are modern film soundtracks a joke?"

No, generic movie soundtracks are a joke.

It would be absurd to say that every single movie in this day and age has a bad unoriginal soundtrack. It is only the matter of quality and the fact that large quantity of movies simply aren't that great, no matter are they 75 or 5 years old.

Some decent "modern" OST examples:
>Inside Llewyn Davis
>Her
>It Follows
>The Hateful Eight
>Ex Machina
>Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
>Sicario
>The Social Network
>TDK
>O Brother, Where Art Thou

>forgetting Sup Forums's favorite film

+15ยข

Walk?

under the skin had an incredibly unique soundtrack

probably drive

Don't you get bored of giving this much of a shit?

This is very true. For many films with his name attached, he'll maybe compose the main motifs and let his music slaves do all the other stuff. The rare exception is something like Interstellar, which as far as I know is pure Zimmer because Nolan probably doesn't put up with that crap.

What he does is not unlike what Shirley Walker did on Batman: The Animated Series - i.e., acting as a supervisor and farming out episodes to up-and-coming composers. The difference is that Walker didn't take credit for music Lolita Ritmanis wrote.

It might sound all right at first, but when you watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier and here those awesome synths, and then watch Civil War and hear nothing but uninspired dull shit, you wonder what happened - Henry Jackman composed both! What happened was that Matthew Margeson didn't ghost-write for Cap 3 like he did for Cap 2. It gives listeners false impressions of what composers are capable of.

While I think cape-shit is trash and modern blockbusters are a joke altogether, these videos are even worse.

The guy is always trying to provide a single reasoning to everything, for instance there are way too many variations to why a scene is shot well or a soundtrack is memorable, there is no bloody template like he says.

The drive video is a joke, the only thing I agree with him is that Hollywood needs to stop being the lazy shits they are

TWBB had a great score.

PTA's movies have always interesting soundtracks

Too overbearing

>that subtle The Movies music

Why do art majors take movies so seriously? They were designed from day one to make money. That is it.

destroyed

This, even that fag Nerdwriter has done some real work

>And that ''human moment'' at the end of the video with the black guy singing... ugh.

Just posting to say his videos are basic so I can let everyone know that I, an Anonymous poster, have superior film knowledge to all the plebs on this board.

the best part about this thread are the guys who pretend to hate the youtube channel

>h-he can't be smarter than me! he's reddit!!!

these meme songs from Drive aren't OST

Nick Cave has THE Goat modern day soundtracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=07T44OBwyJc

youtube.com/watch?v=PX2oYPzr3jY

Soundtrack is about setting the mood without you knowing it. You realize it only when the movie ends and you get that sinking feeling that the music isn't there anymore and you look it up.
youtube.com/watch?v=4xdyx5NVUhI

Good thing you can agree with yourself, vermin

Cliff Martinez's score was top notch tho.

youtube.com/watch?v=rZk-MW1ClVA

youtube.com/watch?v=5o2E5DpURy8

>thinks memechink does anything 'smart' with his '''work'''
>tries to berate anyone else
lel

TDKR

He's a tard regardless of his political beliefs
And if you need to bring that up you're an even bigger tard than him

>tfw youtubers go over your head
You're a dumb son of a bitch.

What a garbage list
Where's Upstream Color, Only Lovers Left Alive or Under the Skin?

Based johnny greenwood

Good logic there

Why does this guy trigger Sup Forums so hard?

>Not posting his work on Assassination of jesse james

And for the record, it was 2 children.