How do I write chord progressions that are actually interesting and not cookie cutter? Any advice would be appreciated

How do I write chord progressions that are actually interesting and not cookie cutter? Any advice would be appreciated.

steal them from better musicians. long as everything else is different enough no one will notice.

>and not cookie cutter

have fun being unsuccessful and ignored. there's a reason people use the same chord progressions.

Learn the diatonic seven chords of the harmonic and melodic minor scales
Also learn 11th, add 9, all the different chord extensions, then try substitution theory. Maybe parallel progressions from major to minor? Cycle of sixth? Progressions based on a tone and a half movements?

Two conflicting chords at once? Moving in unison or opposite directions?

Chords made up off the neopolitan scale?

Chords arrangements based on animal song melody?

Sure, if you want to play pop rock and blues rock for the rest of your life, just do what everyone else does.

In a key, the root (first chord), third, and 6th are all "resolving" chords, I'm told. I don't really hear it for the sixth, but that's what I've been told, and it makes sense logically. 5 and 7 are tension chords that want to resolve, usually to 1, 3, or 6. Finally, 2 and 4 are sort of miscellaneous. Do with this information what you will.

>his chords aren't perfect 5/octaves or super basic guitars chords
Lol git gud.

In English, doc

>tfw you're drummer
Ignorance is bliss

Drop D tuning?

>learn key families
>add 7ths
>????
>PROFIT

Not through looking at chord progressions as math

It's all about heart, passion, truth and honesty
That's the only concern an artist should have, there are a million different ways to express and evoke this elemental motive to experience art, but if a piece is missing it than it's basically worthless.

drummers can write good chord progressions because they understand tempo and space. how many shit indie bands have struck gold hammering away in 4/4?

>play chords until some sound good together
>figure out what chords they are and what scale they go in
>write down the chords or their numbers in the scale
>re use them in different scales for different songs

That's what I do. I have a file with just chord progressions in it.

>It's all about heart, passion, truth and honest
When will the "its just passion bro" meme end?

Inversions, suspensions, tritone substitutions, key modulation

Use more II's and III's
Look at other modes and scales for ideas

"Its just passion"
That is the opposite of the how I've said it
Passion and truth are precious and rare that's why so much of what is called art these days sucks, it's special and hard to convey a universal truth in art, that's why Mona Lisa and Sgt Pepper are timeless and some radio single is cheap and short lasting

I bet you're one of those faggots that think learning music theory ruins musicians in some stupid way

Learn every Beatles song.

Well you're wrong
I studied music theory and own both Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony and Walter Piston's Harmony fifth edition

>Not through looking at chord progressions as math

This is the advice that Sup Forums won't accept

Steal the interesting ones and transpose to your own needs so that it sounds different.