Why have you not listened to King Crimson yet?

It astounds me how underrated this band is. Not only have they existed since 1969, but they are the creators of the progressive rock genre. However, if you ask the average rock fan if they know about the band, you will get puzzled stares. I only learned about them through a guy who ran a small record store out of a thrift shop years ago, who introduced me to a bit of their music, namely the "Larks Tongues in Aspic" album.

Frankly it is criminal that a band of this calibre is so underrated. What is your excuse for not listening to them yet? If you have, what is your favorite song/album?

TL;DR: youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G3EtBp-vErA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they fucking suck

I didn't know Adrian Belew browsed Sup Forums

>What is your excuse for not listening to them yet?
he blocks all his music online

>not having access to a computer and therefore slsk or torrents
you must be 18 or older to browse Sup Forums

Go to your local record store and dig through the LPs for one like a man.

Or order rare Japanese first edition LPs like i did, either way.

no im explaining to you why king crimson isn't popular

wasn't for that kanye sample would be even less than know. since prog rock isn't popular among normies or even hipsters besides pf.

I'm pretty sure that Fripp put some of the KC studio songs on YouTube. Live versions are also readily available, but I personally don't care because the band's live renditions are usually better than the studio.

>hey Sup Forums have you heard of this band called neutral milk hotel

Because their songwriting isn't as good as other 70s prog bands.

Lyrically maybe, but you'll be hard-pressed to find an eclectic prog band better than them. Personally the only gripes I had were "Moonchild" and "Providence"

Please tell me you're joking.

Are they underrated or are they really popular with 14 year olds?
When i was 14 all my friends thought they were the best and would cover their songs with their bands.
Are they actually good? I was into gay indie shit at the time

I'd say Gentle Giant's a better eclectic prog band if they count, even if King Crimson were easily the more influential of the two bands.

None of their other albums are as magical as pic related. This will always be the greatest rock album of all time for me.

>Why have you not listened to King Crimson yet?

I saw Robert Fripp talking in a guitar documentary and he seemed like an autistic little shit

It's an album I have the utmost respect for since it pretty much defined an entire genre, but Moonchild kind of loses me a bit. 21st, Epitaph and Crimson King are excellent songs.

They're pretty famous

King Crimson are an amazing band through all of it's incarnations.

However I don't think you could call them underrated. I first heard ITCOTKC on the radio. They've sold plenty of albums. I saw them live in 2000 and I assure you it was a packed house. The people that are intelligent enough to appreciate King Crimson; there's enough of us.

I've been homeless for months without any way to download any king crimson albums off soulseek

Bait

No. Primus sucks

ITCOTCK isn't on spotify, can't find good quality anywhere else.

youtube.com/watch?v=G3EtBp-vErA

While it's available, since Fripp (or at least the people he presumably hires) watches this stuff like a hawk

>If you have, what is your favorite song/album?
Starless is wonderful

Thank

>If you have, what is your favorite song/album?
Song: Fracture
Album: Discipline

Thanks for reminding me. King Crimson is tops.

Reminds me of my first deep dive into exploring music. Almost a decade ago now. What a bittersweet feel.

Songs: Cat Food, Discipline, 21st century schizoid man, Easy money, In the court of the crimson King, Elektrik, and of course, Starless

>King Crimson
>underrated
lmao OP, Sup Forums talks about them every single day
Listen to Henry Cow if that's your standard for underrated. They were arguably more innovative than King Crimson even.

>he seemed like an autistic little shit
He is.

Why is this hack still alive?

>Elektrik

Power to Believe is better than people seem to think.

And BTW, Christgau also caught onto punk rock only after it blew up into the mainstream when it had been fermenting in the underground for at least 6-7 years prior to the Sex Pistols. A day late and a dollar short.

He is but that's why we love him

Every decade has some edgy new underground movement that the industry eventually hijacks for money/T-shirt sales.

>50s
Rockabilly
>60s
Garage
>70s
Punk
>80s
Alternative
>90s
Indie
>2000s
IDK

>alternative
>indie
Neither of those are music genres though.

whatever's going on at 28-29 minutes is really fuckin weird
I'm not gonna say this album is bad (so far anyway) but a lot of it kinda feels empty :/

If I could only go down the list of classic rock albums he shit on/didn't bother reviewing. I think part of his problem is that he's committed to the stale 1960s idea that music is only worthwhile if it promotes some kind of political agenda. His reviews tell you nothing useful about the album for the most part; for example his review of Korn S/T is actually just a review of the cover art and he accuses the band of being pedophiles or something like that.

>I'd say Gentle Giant's a better eclectic prog band
I guess you'd say just about anything then.

>whatever's going on at 28-29 minutes is really fuckin weird
That's called free improvisation and it has been a genre since the 60s

>2000s
Numetal

>2010s
Lo-fi

>Gentle Giant
>eclectic
lol

>If I could only go down the list of classic rock albums he shit on/didn't bother reviewing

When most people say "classic rock", they mean stadium/buttrock like AC/DC. That stuff deserves to be shit on.

>Lo-fi
Not a genre

>"classic rock"
>stadium/buttrock like AC/DC
The Beatles are the best example of "classic rock" and they are nothing like AC/DC
>That stuff deserves to be shit on.
Yes, but not because it's bad, but because we always talk about them.

because stupid bitch head robert fripp wont make his music accessible in a digital format and i dont care enough to buy the record or to pirate it

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness [Virgin, 1995]

*choice cuts* "1979"

>yfw this was all he had to say about one of the single biggest rock albums of the 90s

>Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
>one of the single biggest rock albums of the 90s
I mean, Christgau sucks, but that opinion sucks too.

wait what the fuck
is that the actual end of the album, or did it just get cut off?

But Smashing Pumpkins are objectively garbage.

They might be underrated to you, but every adult who lived through those years knows King Crimson.

pic related is the peak of all rock music

Is anybody else's favorite King Crimson album Islands or is it just me?

Did Adrian left in bad terms? I don't know this story, any more insight?

It's my favorite too!