Favourite book thread

Favourite book thread
I know mines somewhat childish but it reminds me of my childhood so it's more of a sense of nostalgia I

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KX5K9QeB7DE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who reads books anymore least of all this primitive shit, fucking kill yourself cunt.

This or Demon Haunted World by Sagan

bumping for interest

This book is ight.

'Nuff said

The main character remind me of myself.

Picked this up randomly in high school 10 years ago and fell in love with the whole series

Agreed!

This was what opened me to reading

Man I gotta try DMT. I'm a huge mushrooms/acid fiend but have never got my hands on f'ing DMT. Wanna break through so bad and meet some goddamn little self-transforming machine elves.

This reminds me of my time in middle school. I still have majority of the series on my bookshelf

My favorite read.

Red Plenty, Francis Spufford

I like novels by Phillip K. Dick

Nice trips man

Phillip K. Dick = antichrist

TBH. I know some of Sup Forums would like it too for the fact the main character is a trap (sort of, [hermaphrodite]) one of the first scenes is when he/she was raised in a monestary and a monk abused he/she by fucking his/her ass while using pig grease as lube. He tricked him/her into thinking it was a different way to pray (he called his sperm the Holy Ghost or something kek) They get caught.

They were about to rek the monk for sodomy but upon inspection he/she found out that he/she had a vagoo and they kicked he/she out to the near convent while only demoting the monk to menial yard work

He/she finds a falcon and trains it to get meat, he/she then gets revenge on said monk by climbing a tree and dropping meat on his head, the falcon proceeded to rek him.

It's pretty cool but hilariously historically inaccurate

Did you know that this book gave birth to the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though

"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

tl;dr

Just post your fucking favourite book dick head

Yeah, dickhead.

That or this bastardization of The Swiss Family Robinson

Forgot image, yes this isn't geared at the most cultured

That pic's got to be a troll.

If you're posting that pic thinking it's anything other than a troll, then you really are a fucking idiot.

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

herp herp popular books suck herp herp

You're such a contrarian dipshit.

this is probably the best book I have ever read.
It has good plot or rather some of the best plot ever created by humanity. The characters are all vibrant and realistic. I think we should have highschools teach this rather than the shakespeare garbage they currently teach. Sure it is originally in another language, that doesn't change the fact that this is god tier

World End Dance Hall is a personal favourite of mine

I've read this one
So good!

I read this author's shirt stories in HS and he quickly became my favorite author.

Excuse me why the fuck is Hamlet low teir?

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Because it is from shakespeare, and everyone knows that shakespeare is no Justin Bieber

John dies at the end
Any repairman jack book

Fairy Tail - Hiro Mashima

own this book, okay overview found it lacked depth in many places

Light Shall Set You Free by Milanovitch and McCune

>great gatsby god tier
>catch 22 low tier

clueless faggot

I don't know why but I could read this and the series endless.

I can't justify it but this book is special to me.

Never thought that I would see this here

>can't justify
kys

Just because the norm is for people to be idiots and enjoy lackluster media doesn't mean high schools should change their curriculum to cater to weeb shit that's probably at a high school level tops. I don't know where you live but muricas school system is already fucked as is. At least some will get something out of Shakespeare, Poe, or Twain. You can go ahead and keep calling manga or light novels god tier literature. This coming from a weeb who basically only reads One Piece lately.

Can't pick a favorite because I don't read as much as I should(being a piece of shit). I've been reading shamanism books lately though.

Oh OP! It's my favorite book too!

Harry Potter gets killed by a train!

>kys
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to ask you not to say that again. This is a christian god fearing website and we do not appreciate your negative energy.

Has no one noticed that the title is wrong? Its supposed to be sorcerors stone, not philosophers stone. Is this some sort of shitty knockoff where the story is all twisted and shit to fuck with little kids heads?

My favorite fantasy novel.

watch out, you might cut yourself on that edge

Except that this teaches people values and life lessons.
Something that is valuable to people especially when young and in highschool

youtube.com/watch?v=KX5K9QeB7DE

roadside picnic
only seen the film, should i buy the book?
yeah, papercuts are nasty

Anyone got a good horror/thriller/psychological book? Something that could make me shit my ass?

Yes
This

book is different fom the movie. much less philosophical and artish. It is much closer to games.

educate yourself a bit, nigger

>**Hairy Pooper**

USA published sorcerer , rest of the world is philosophers.

Dont worry user you don't need to. That series is amazing.

why should i start reading books
I know i am dumb but will books really help

While I don't disagree with them trying to instill morals and lessons one could argue that almost every single manga,light novel, or novel follows the exact same outline. They're made to teach you how to be a man or person or whatever. But people still need to read tragedies to see how NOT to be, and the higher level of literature should at least be explored. Japanese book reading should be an elective. The stories are nice and even deep at times but they lack complexity which is what we want future generations to af least entertain. Sounds fucked but we need people who can think in layers and add on top of those to run society, but we do need to teach people to be decent human beings or the future is just as fucked. Some of my favorite quotes come from mangas for fucks sake, but I'd have to really think outside the box to write a decent essay on one.

>These newfags responding

loved this book

David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas

I normally read stuff like Andy McNab's Nick Stone books so this was a big difference for me....but well worth

This book is unsettling, but a favorite.

Btw, the whole highschool dxd thing was a bait

Foundation

Dune, of course.

World War Z is good.

Amazing read

there is some taste in here

Most of the short stores in the Necronomicon by H.P Lovecraft.

not sure if troll or idiot :/

Hyperion is good. Fall of Hyperion made me want to die because it was so fucking boring.

it's an absolute classic there's nothing to justify here. It's not like you're posted big titted 12 year old manga and saying it should be taught in schools.

Fatherland, by Robert Harris.

will help your imagination and your vocabulary but they can't do anything about your ability

A Canticle for Leibowitz

i meant if i should read "all quiet on the western front". i've read roadside picnic and played the stalker games, never watched the movie though

Best book ever