/meta/

Why is Sup Forums such shit, and how can we fix it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
desmos.com/calculator/wqt5ann0cz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stop posting the same fucking music every day

Because it's a board about everything and at the same time nothing. It's the same thing when people say "I like music". Oh? You do? How interesting! I like music too!

How to fix? Have more specialized threads. By genres, by themes, by fields.

Because music is shit. Because there's nothing fucking happening in music right now. Look at the top 100 lists on pitchfork for the 80s and 90s and then compare it to the 2000s. The 2010s are only getting worse. I don't care if this sounds like le wrong generation meme, it's 100% true. We can't keep talking about the same good albums over and over. We need something new, but it's not coming.

Maybe stop getting your music from just p4k lmao

I'm mostly concerned with the spoonfeeding problem. How do we get people to explore on their own? We've given them enough resources (flowcharts, generals, RYM).

The average Sup Forums-tant likes music, but prefers shitposting about music.

They won't because Sup Forums is all about fashion (aka what fantano likes) or ''being a patrician''.

>Make obvious politics bait an immediate ban
Political albums can be discussed, but nothing past the album

>Stop giving hip hop the time of day
It allows too many normies/underaged to ruin the board

>Waifu threads result in a ban
If there are more pictures of the musician rather than discussion of the music, it counts as a Waifu thread

So no more images of musicians on the music board?

2/3, user
Replace hip hop with trap and then you're golden

Don't play dumb, you know people just spam random ass images of their little waifus and don't actually talk about the music other than "x is so good"

Sup Forums is listed as a creative board.

one interesting thing about mu is that it highlights the fact that music discussion is essentially pointless

once you remove any reputational benefits your knowledge might have, it just becomes a dick measuring contest

What even is ''music discussion''?

because it is summer, give it a month and a half and it'll be back to normal

''summer'' has been meaningless for years.

irl? it's things like 'hey user i thought you might like this album'
but on here it's
>REEEE european tradition, cultural superiority, this music is best because REASONS

>We've given them enough resources (flowcharts, generals, RYM).

Contribute those charts to the Wiki listed in the sticky and have it much like /fit/'s sticky. Generals about music rather than making music can contribute to the spoonfeeding problem at times (maybe the exception of /bleep/ which probably came from Sup Forums crossposters) or they only exist just to talk about other people's taste on RYM or as a "comfy" resident shitposting thread (like /bleep/ at times).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

Ban hip hop

Yuuup
Stop listening to Mucore kid
We ignore them. Just dont respond
We need active moderation to deal with the memes
While true, the board was going down hill long before summer

spoonfeeding isn't discussion

>(like /bleep/ at times).
Oh and daily

ONE rock general
ONE punk general
ONE metal general
ONE alt-rock general

No pop/rock outside of them.

Also pop generals. One for waifu fags. One for other pop like Radiohead or Beach Boys

i get that, but back in the day spoonfeeding was all we had, and when you actually know the person you're talking to, it makes a lot of sense

on here, not so much sense, because media is still the main way most people experience text interaction (we even still call things like twitter 'social media') it's effectively like you are all training to be music journalists

>beach boys
rock

>radiohead
alt-rock

There is so fucking much music out there thats not rock, so sick of it taking up over half the board

>Stop making threads about what score Fantano, Scaruffi, P4K, etc give an album
>Stop making multiple threads about the same album
>Bring back /wpop/ to contain the waifufags
>Bring back the Sunday listenalong
Most importantly:

Radiohead is pop as fuck lmao. But exactly all people do is circlejerk over the same shit. We make fun of reddit for being a circlejerk but we arent much better

If you are mad about rock music than go somewhere else bleep cuck

What is the difference between alt-rock, rock, and punk then?

Ive never browsed bleep in my life buddy
Nothing, rockists dont understand this

Generals are a bad thing, dumbshit

If anything we need less of them so we can talk more openly about things like electronic and metal, by not having it in a forum format

I don't know

this

Ban any and all discussions of hip-hop, gets rid of 90% of the underaged.

We can start by not pretending these threads are gonna do anything. Hiro just implemented them so it seems as though he cares about the original users, which he doesn't, the more newcomers we get the more money Hiro gets.

Then do not contribute to the thread fuck minge

Music is a shitshow. It is the lowest art form and its culture and discussion is meaningless garbage. It will always be this way. Stop trying to ignore it. Goodbye.

>lowest art form
Still better than TV

objectively untrue. just because most of the content produced for television is shit is not indicative of its standing as an art form.

The whole reason /bleep/ was started back in 2011 (and the B&B last.fm group) was because before that, the only ''electronic music'' posted here was Aphex, Autechre, Daft Punk and Justice so turny et al started the general so people versed in bleeps could chat more about them with people who knew more than 4 artists.

except if its not Sup Forumscore or FotM it will get no replies

We need to start Shaming and Saging anyone who post shitty threads or circlejerks the same topics

TV is for children

Sup Forums is doomed, but we can save /metal/ by:

Kill all glam pussies and non-USPM shitters bar exceptions like Blind Guardian. Glam's not even metal.

/metal/ is complete shitshow
Bunch of LARPing retards shitposting and calling each other nu-males, it's pathetic

Fuck off metalfag

Spotted the nu-male

and you wonder why no one likes you here

Aw yes the metalfag in his wild habitat

Sup Forums is shit because the board only talks about the same one hundred artists all the time

To fix this we have to encourage users to explore more obscure music

How can we achieve this? By promoting healthy elitism, tools to show people how obscure their tastes are (Obscurity Score), recommended listening charts of less popular artists (Patriciancore charts, the 2014 edition is particularly good for this purpose), and general threads for less popular genres (literally anything that's not rock, hip hop and idm/ambient/album oriented post electro electronic).

You are the problem.

We need better resources.

Agreed. Also ban meme threads

talk more openly about the same handful of artists from each of those genres, you mean?

>better resources
Discogs
RYM
Soundlcoud
Bandcamp

Every artist with noting is on one or more of those.

t. nu-males

I was listening to Deep Dish earlier and thought about starting a thread about early prog house but decided not to bother because I knew what would happen;

a) ''electronic is shit''
b) ''prog-house is gay shit'' (I only know Deadmau5)
c) >>>gb2bleep
d) no replies

This is inefficient because it'll change discussion instead to a different set of artists that'll ultimately be discussed constantly just like the Sup Forumscore ones.

my god metal fans are annoying little pricks

>Soundcloud
Shutting down
>RYM
Garbage site
>Bandcamp
Bandcamp is basically soundcloud but with buying shitty indie albums instead of streaming
>Discogs
1 out of 4 man
t. Cuck

It actually gets worse year by year.

/daily/ is pretty balanced to be honest

Bad idea, but I like the message.

Generals improved the quality of the board, not the other way around.

I mean resources to discover music that effectively work in the Sup Forums population. I'm thinking of a huge catalog of patrician core charts transformed into roll threads, for example. Or essential chart threads for things other than rock and hip hop and album oriented electronic.

No.

>a huge catalog of patrician core charts transformed into roll threads, for example. Or essential chart threads for things other than rock and hip hop and album oriented electronic.
see
swapping one group of albums for another doesn't work or help, see: the endless 'new patriciancore' charts a few years back

That post doesn't explain anything. There is no way Sup Forumscore is going to get replaced, this is about widening the scope of the average Sup Forumstant, and I'm confident that if implemented well, my idea could work. Daily roll threads with readily available download links would be pretty efficient to raise more awareness of less popular artists.

Sup Forumscore is the big problem with this board, and there's no way to get rid of it. The reason why Sup Forumscore albums are discussed so much is because Sup Forumscore is basically just the most discussed albums on Sup Forums, so most people here have heard them. If you make a thread about an album that isn't Sup Forumscore or a new release, it will get no or next to no replies. The only way to get a non-Sup Forumscore album discussed here is to spam it to death, which will make it become Sup Forumscore.

I agree with the concept of generals. We should have separate ones for each of the major popular music genres and each of the major online platforms like RYM/Bandcamp/etc.

Each general should have posting limitations similar to /vg/ instead of standard board style.

There should definitely be sharethreads and various styles of chart threads as well.

The rest of the board should be dedicated to art music, jazz, (actual, not weak shit like Residents) experimental music, and traditional music. Those forms of music are far more worthy in terms of discussion, analysis, observation, and learning.

Other forms of music related discussion like for example stuff about the industry itself can also be done outside the generals.

Eliminate all waifufaggotry as well. Grimes and KPop should be moved to other boards (preferably Sup Forums.) These are usually ran by a very small group of people, and there's nothing wrong with them moving their practically non-musical discussion elsewhere. Alternatively we can also have one general dedicated to waifufaggotry.

If the board's formatted like what I said above, it'll manage to have some kind of forced elitism that will allow only the best of the best to be discussed. And also the legit best of the best, regardless of muh mainstream poser or muh obscure avant teen labels. It encourages a posting economy that just won't be able to feasibly just do shitposts everywhere.

it really sucks that the illuminate are preventing you from implementing this idea, and all we can do is talk about it

>No
Yes. You have no clue how this forum works if you think just changing the charts will make everything different.

This, be the change you'd like to see

I'm actually working on some stuff, such as the Obscurity Score formula which I'm trying to automate now. I just stared browsing Sup Forums again like 2 weeks ago and less than 4 days ago I stated caring about the current state of the board. Just give me some time.

That's not what I'm suggesting.

See above.

So we need roll charts of what, 10x10 of different music?

I'm on it

Youre formula needs work, any way you can streamline it? Alot of people seem to ignore it for the time it takes

That's totally what you're suggesting. Even with the other stuff, your model only encourages supply, not demand.

>then theres this faggot

there is nothing wrong with popular music

There is when it is all that is discussed

That's why I asked that there be multiple generals for it's very many genres. Those generals will probably still take up the majority of space on Sup Forums in my model. You're fucking retarded if you thought I said pop music is bad.

Yes. You could start with the Patriciancore chart of 2014.

What more work does the formula need? I already improved it, but it's not a very noticeable difference (the scores are more accurate and is more aligned with the LastFM population than before).
Streamline?
And yeah, that's why I'm automating it, because it takes some time to calculate and because a lot of people made errors.

Eh, I'm pretty sure the demand on Sup Forums is limited/fixed (number of hours of music per week), so increasing supply diversifies the "economy".

I agree, but 99% of the board is popular music.

Stop waiting our meta thread on why Sup Forums is shit.

Could you post the current formula? I want to see if im using the older one

No, you autistic shit. Demand as in you can have your obscurity scores, pushing non-mussential charts, and obscure/experimental genre generals. But nobody gives two shits about these things, and then it'll be back to Sup Forumscore again.

Honestly discussing music outside of a musicological viewpoint is always going to be fairly vapid and unproductive. It's more suited to shitty youtube comment threads than a forum.

"I like 'band'"
"Well you're a pleb for doing so"
"I agree with OP, 'band''s sophomore album was great"

Wow, amazing discussion there.

Fuck off you autist, no one likes you

I think this is one of the best ideas from all these metathreads. Spam the board with these from totally different genres to get some variety on the go.

>You could start with the Patriciancore chart of 2014.
No. Stop caring about image.

Sure, but it still needs some fixes.
desmos.com/calculator/wqt5ann0cz
o is your Google score (it's calculated the same as before)
z is your Obscurity Score
This time it appears to be coordinated by a similar distribution the mainstream calculator reveals from their users.

Nobody cares about Trout Mask Replica before going to Sup Forums but almost everybody listens to it eventually.

>stop caring about image
user, I'm the one who proposed the in your opinion on of the bests ideas from all the metathreads. The Patrician core chart is just one of the many possible roll charts.

>implying Sup Forums is what made TMR popular
>not the various articles, reviews, etc. that gave it the reputation it has that was then copped not just by Sup Forums but also sites like Reddit
Not to mention the fact that very few people who listen to that album, even those who put it among their favs, even listen to anything else Magic Band does. You're delusional if you think it was all cuz of Sup Forums that people know about TMR. I discovered it a decade ago through AllMusic myself.

I'm more interested in variety, be it a bleeps genre or jazz, classical or whatever, just something else for a change, the patriciancore charts were all about ''zomg I'm so superior.''

I think this is the same pragmatist who only sees beauty in art when it conveys a useful abstract concept.

Yeah variety is important, my biggest problem with mucore and this board is its rock dominated

That's not what I'm implying. I'm only implying a lot of people listen to it only because they found out about it on Sup Forums.

I'm the same as you, that's exactly why I'm suggesting the Patriciancore charts.

Don't worry, I'll make 3 up now real quick and none will be remotely rock.

>/daily/ is pretty balanced to be honest

Ironically says the tripfag talking about his hugbox.

Whats the formula for the google score?

I don't post on /daily/

Google log(a*b*c*etc)/10
With a, b, c, etc being the number of listeners from the artists of your ten favorite albums (no various artists, no duplicate artists, and duos and trios consider the artist with the most listeners only).

Yes, and I am saying that TMR built its demand through not just Sup Forums, but many sources outside of Sup Forums. It's a piss poor example because of that reason.

It's mainly used for screwing people over of self publicists (which is the same difference)

Wouldnt it make more sense to calculate based of the album listens instead of artists?

There pros and cons for both when it comes to the theory, but in practice there are too many cons when done with album listeners.

Okay.

Could you give some examples, just honest curiosity. Im interested in this whole project

Why are you guys still going on about the obscurity score bullshit? Every time it gets posted here ppl make fun of it or shit on it before it dies with no real intended participation. You guys are legit retarded if you think that's a good idea.

Obviously what we need is to focus on vaporwave.

>inb4 it was started here newfag lol
No, maybe some of the aspects of the "culture" began here, but many producers made the music, indifferent to Sup Forumss existence

>but it's just shitty takes no skill sounds bad wahhhhh
It's the new punk. The fact that so many people hate it proves that it pushes boundaries.

It's still fresh and subversive.
And it's still alive whether you like it or not.