Could conduct an orchestra

>could conduct an orchestra
>virtuoso at the guitar
>master at studio wizardry
>had a deep interest in avant-garde music
>still wrote nothing but poprock songs about bodily fluids and low-brow political humor

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QHKAexcxxIs
youtube.com/watch?v=DjMO_ewZxIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UnRi-n-v7-g
youtube.com/watch?v=zINXtLHHKE8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwLNcBD68k
youtube.com/watch?v=zYxaoRVofE8
wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=3&show=47354&archive=81713
youtube.com/watch?v=zN-cqsVuqM0
youtube.com/watch?v=gBZ7lnMK0Rs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's what sells, unfortunately.

because he knew all 2deep4u experimental music sucks

>projects his inability to appreciate experimental music onto Zappa
Can't get any more pathetic.

Because Zappa was an asshole. He thought he was such hot shit because he could make music he thought was below him. If you like his shtick, you should just listen to Ween or Ariel Pink, they do the same thing but they actually appreciate and love the music they emulate.

Autism.

>conducted very simple arrangements
>like very many "guitar virtuoso", couldn't play outside the same basic scalar shapes
>awful in the studio, single-handedly fucked up Trout Mask Replica's mix putting the vocals too high
>had a surface level interest in avant garde because "look how whacky and goofy it is!"

This, rockists really are just completely clueless.

the heck I hate Zappa now!?

Absolutely spot on.

if it doesn't sound good it ain't good

WTF I hate sound(s) now!

>Why?
Because almost everything you know about him came from shitpost on Sup Forums. At least you've improved the format a bit. It used to be "about bodily fluid and low-brow political humor" at the very least.

What does Ween emulate? They have at least 10 different genres of music on an album and even some more in individual songs. That's hardly just emulating.

>had a surface level interest in avant garde because "look how whacky and goofy it is!"
Applies to you too.

You Are What You Is is the best thing he ever did.

Shitposts*

I think that through their individual songs, there are definitely genres or artists that they are specifically influenced by. I agree that it is more than emulating, but for the sake of comparison that was the word I used.

U right tho

>conducted very simple arrangements
this is so laughably wrong (like all of your "arguments") i don't know if i should even bother arguing it or if i should just feel bad. ill take the bait. here is one of MANY complex compositions. this is a live recording btw

youtube.com/watch?v=QHKAexcxxIs

or if you want to skip to 6:30 here you can hear zappa discuss how the london symphony orchestra was unable to perfectly perform the material he wrote for them
youtube.com/watch?v=DjMO_ewZxIQ

>like very many "guitar virtuoso", couldn't play outside the same basic scalar shape
frank regularly used his jazz, blues, avant garde, reggae, r&b and do-op influences throughout his entire career that culminated in a very personal style that is unlike anything that ever was or ever will be. you should seriously consider fucking killing yourself before you decide commenting on something you clearly haven't the faintest idea on
to answer OP, its called a pleb filter. zappa made music for himself. the subject matter is stuff he wanted to talk about. he couldn't be any less pretentious and i cant imagine him making only serious music.

He stated himself he didn't care about lyrics. I actually really like most of the lyrics to the Mothers of Invention type stuff though and I don't mind his more puerile later lyrics either honestly.

How dare you? Ane where exactly did he claim that? He claimed that he prefers using the words which get the point across the best, that's all.

I think the Mothers was his high point in terms of lyrical invention, but musically his finest works were his very last.

I just have no interest in these "ironic toilet humor" types. Zappa, Ween, all of it just seems obnoxious to me, and I find them worse than if they were doing this type of shit earnestly.
Just because you're pretending to be annoying assholes doesn't mean you're not annoying assholes.

>still wrote nothing but poprock songs about bodily fluids and low-brow political humor
so you've never heard Zappa

That was a VERY simple arrangement wtf are you on about? Most of it only has a small handful of instruments going at one time, very close to each other in rhythm, too.
>or if you want to skip to 6:30 here you can hear zappa discuss how the london symphony orchestra was unable to perfectly perform the material he wrote for them
The video literally says that the LSO didn't have enough time to look over the pieces. Maybe if he was a GOOD conductor, this wouldn't have happened and the pieces would've been that much better off because at that point it's up to the conductor to keep shit together.
>frank regularly used
That's great, and he played for the overwhelming majority of his works in the same pentatonic shapes every kid learns within their first few months to a year on a guitar. The most boring shit out there. This is something everyone from Christgau to Lester Bangs has brought up about Frank's playing.

Unsurprisingly, the Zappa fan here actually knows nothing about music.

>I just have no interest in these "ironic toilet humor" types.
>Zappa

Zappa was way more than this sort of thing, he's not Weird Al.

It's not my fault it's that type of shit the fans bring to the forefront.

Wow, I didn't know Batman beat his wife

Comic books go through so many reboots I don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

>>still wrote nothing but poprock songs about bodily fluids and low-brow political humor
Lumpy Gravy, Cruising with Ruben & The Jets, Uncle Meat, Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, One Size Fits All, Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favorites, Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I & II, The Perfect Stranger, Does Humor Belong in Music?, Jazz from Hell, Make a Jazz Noise Here, The Yellow Shark, and Civilization Phaze III all beg to differ

Many of his most famous songs are admittedly lowbrow comedy rock, but saying that he "wrote nothing but" that is a disservice

WHY DOES IT HURT WHEN I PEE

why are zappa fans so fucking insufferable

>why are zappa fans so fucking insufferable

>posts a thread based on a lie
>gets called out for it
>whines in third person

Neither Ween nor Zappa are ironic.

this has got to be bait.

>that was a VERY simple arrangement
ha, okay.

>maybe if he was a GOOD conductor
kent nagano was the conductor for that album.
if his music was so simple you'd think the professionals over at the LSO wouldn't have a problem performing it.
your understanding of guitar and music in general is elementary so i wont even bother commenting any further.

i didnt make the post, im just commenting on it. zappa fans are the fucking worst

because your a fucking pleb that can't into zappa

>virtuoso at the guitar

i like that one that goes
>a one a two a thee-four-five a-six-a sevennn
>jazzz fart
>jazzzzz fart
>everybody's doin that jazz farrrt raaaagggg

Is this bait, or are you really that ignorant?

No one has yet refute it so......

Nothing is real, nothing is important

Hungry Freaks, Daddy
Who Are The Brain Police?
I'm Not Satisfied
You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here
Plastic People
Concentration Moon
Mother

And this is just start, and this is only from the 60s.

Later period would include...
Joe's Garage 1-3 (About music censorship and what would happen if music had to get government approval, Yeah, I know there's a lot of toilet humor on those records, but the overall message of the other songs are very important)
Dumb All Over
Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk

I could go on and on with examples but I'd be here all day and use up my text limit, so I'll let other FZ fans enlighten you.

See post

>ha, okay
It was though. It's not like the dude's conducting anything as syncopated as Le Sacre Du Printemps.
>if his music was so simple you'd think the professionals over at the LSO wouldn't have a problem performing it.
Technicality isn't really a good way of looking at simplicity especially in the case of Zappa who made very technical music that actually had no depth at all.
>your understanding of guitar and music in general is elementary so i wont even bother commenting any further.
>being this btfo
Zappafags, everybody.

>i didnt make the post, im just commenting on it.
This is what I was referring to when I meant pretending to post in third person.

It seems stupid that after an entire thread arguing with OP that someone would just jump in and say "Why are Zappa fans so insufferable?" without any context whatsoever? No, it's far more presumable that OP got told, and then tried to say something like that in order to shift direction.

i'm still here, still not op, you butthurt zappa lover
zappa road on the coattails of beefheart and was able to fool neckbeards into thinking his music was good. by saying a bunch of pseudo-intellectual bullshit (like pic related) and writing some """""weird""""" songs, it made all the fedora wearing losers feel like they were different and superior for listening to him.
zappa fans are pathetic

>zappa road on the coattails of beefheart
Other way around.

Beefheart was a hack.

>that pic

yeah, and the means of production is probably the thing they most want to own. lol

Not the guy you were responding to, but I'll jump in anyway
Saying Zappa was riding coattails is a pretty ridiculous assertion
He wrote and produced all of his albums beginning with We're Only in It for the Money entirely on his own (with the exception of Francesco Zappa, some cover songs, and one or two co-writing credits)
Even if you don't like his music, he most definitely was not banking on someone else's talent to draw an audience - I would reserve the term "riding coattails" for someone like U-God, who made a career out of one mediocre verse on an album primarily known for the contributions of a bunch of other people
It's totally fine that you don't like Zappa, because not a lot of people do
Most people find him irritating and self-important and I completely understand why
But the fact of the matter is that he made a unique brand of music with a distinct personality and an uncommon viewpoint (the sort of cynical libertarianism shown in your pic), filling a market niche for a lot of people that weren't satisfied by other music available at the time
Again, I completely understand hating his music, but denying that he was a) a talented composer, b) a skilled instrumentalist, c) a unique musical personality, or d) a great producer simply isn't accurate

JAZZZZZZ FARRRRRT

Blackest sounding white guy I ever heard.
I remember when I heard the Safe as Milk album, I thought I was listening o some old Howlin' Wolf album.

Ive never listened to this dude and i read this whole thread and im so fucking confused

youtube.com/watch?v=UnRi-n-v7-g
youtube.com/watch?v=zINXtLHHKE8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwLNcBD68k
youtube.com/watch?v=zYxaoRVofE8

im not in a dick measuring contest trying to find the most complex music. you said he conducted very simple arrangements. you are wrong. also lets not forget that at the end of the day he's still writing rock music here.

that real reason i don't want to bother with you is because you have nothing to say and your arguments are weak. moving on.

i dont think most people have heard this rare zappa shit:
wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=3&show=47354&archive=81713

listenin now m8

prove the arrangements are complex

ITT: zappafags getting completely and utterly BTFO

Zappa is the greatest musician of all time because he didn't take himself or his music too seriously at any point.

listen to this

regyptian strut
youtube.com/watch?v=zN-cqsVuqM0

now compare that to an orchestra trying to cover it
youtube.com/watch?v=gBZ7lnMK0Rs

WHY CAN'T THESE "MUSICIANS" COVER SUCH SIMPLE SONGS????!?!

wtf i love zappa now

That's pretty sad, then.

not really they're legendary musicians: you're just some fag on Sup Forums

kek how will zappa fans ever recover

oh but he totally did

he was a caustic, affected twat

hetook himself so seriously that he convinced himself he was too good for everything/everyone

pretty much this. youd think they'd be tired of defending this pseud by now.

Let me rephrase. In your own words, show that Regyptian Strut is complexly arranged. I'm not a mind reader. If you can't articulate your point then you have no reason to post.

So just to clarify, the original point of the thread was that Zappa was a skilled musician but only made lowbrow joke songs
And not that that assertion has been refuted, the debate has now turned to whether or not his songs are "verifiably complex" or something?

joke songs are just one genre of zappa
not even his final form

i really don't need to, the music speaks for itself. also you're the one who made the claim his music is simplistic so the burden of proof is on you user

everyone's listenin to the jazz fart

>do-op

fuck off, trip-fag

Did you fail high school english? Be honest here.