/grimes/

Discuss the amazing, innovative, envied, groundbreaking artiste Claire Boucher a.k.a. Grimes.

Song of the day: youtube.com/watch?v=o_fLwbsYe-U
Video of the day: youtube.com/watch?v=5xgl9gee7KY

>it's annoying i know haha, but my albums take a long time to create because i don't buy songs/ hire producers/ writers or engineers. the majority of artists do, so they are able to release music faster. unfortunately it takes me longer because if there's a style i need to learn i just have to figure it out by trial and error, or if im stuck on a lyric or beat sometimes i have to start again. i think it leads to more original product though, and hopefully the fans are happier in the long run. that said, i am making a lot of music right now, but i also want to have more of a sonic theme to this album so i'm using less of the stuff i'm recording. in any case, ill try to be as swift as possible!"

Be nice to Grimes, mofos.

Other urls found in this thread:

ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/
youtube.com/watch?v=FTvanzhR6ok
instagram.com/p/BXWnCzRjzDq/?taken-by=grimesartofficial
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ew

just ew

Anyone here?

Entertainment Weekly? Thanks for bumping even if your post was complete trash.

only me

How has Grimes innovative?

*is

OP's post is complete trash

bump for these

I will certainly be nice to Grimes if you know what I mean

Grimes is my life, personified. Grimes is the logical progression on the timeline of history straight from Renaissance to modernity. She is the second coming of Lady Mary herself, prophet from the Gods after Jesus and Mohammad. Her music comes from the heavens, righteous flow of pure, undistilled inspiration.

You look at Grimes and you see EVERYTHING you need to see, experience everything you need to experience, appreciate everything you need to appreciate, when it comes to creativity, arts, style, fashion and music. There haven't been anybody like her, there will NEVER be anybody like her. People will be speaking of her for centuries, because she brought everything needed to capture about pop culture, all the GOOD without any of the bad.

There are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of young girls all over this huge fucking ass planet right now who are copying her every single move, her mannerisms, anime personality, style, music, her attitude. She guides all the lost lambs with her soothing voice and her synths. Female version of David Bowie has arrived and here to stay. Think about it. She does everything herself - cover art, music production, mastering, video directing, concept design, singing, instruments, and even has enough in her left to produce music for other artists out there. She doesn't even do drugs anymore, thus she's not in a haze or sluggish but has overflowing energy that sets her out to be at her peak productivity.

Fuck Katy Perry or all these minor pretentious "gamer gurl" hipster types like Zooey Dechanel except singing, and fuck the Lauren Southerns or what else people bow down to as their muses. Fuck that shit. Only one you need, only one ANYBODY really needs, is the One and Only truly skilled, able and inspired Artist put to this world to take all the styles and attitudes created by modernity, the achievements in pop, rock and rap, to combine them together to be the Ambassador of Art that all open-minded patricians need.

Behold - Grimesy :3

Anyone should like Grimey tbch.

By being innovative.

really makes me think

>the way she is holding the guitar pick

Lol @ prop guitar

>Grimes
>innovative
lmao

why are there no videos of her playing guitar

Because she doesn't know how, and the one in OP's pic is not plugged in.

drop her. Listen to Big Rare. He produces and writes his songs. He also does his own cover art.

Are you blind?

Big who? Post his best songs.

Like it's actually connected to the amp

>genesis video

What is your excuse for not liking Grimes?

I don't like her music

Explain why. What is wrong with it? What would you change about her music?

I don't enjoy listening to it.
The instrumentals are boring and the actual instrument parts are distracting from the core of the song and are repetitive without me liking the part being repeated.
It's not that her voice is too inaccessible, hell, I love Joanna Newsom but her voice simply irks me.
These are problems that I really only feel for her last two albums, which I hate.

Do you hate her best albums? Sad. Also I don't get why do you think her instrumentals are repetitive when there are lots of small changes during every second. Maybe you should pay more attention to them.
>her voice simply irks me
That's a deal breaker because all her songs feature her voice. By the way Joanna Newsom's voice is far more inaccessible if you ask me.

>Do you hate her best albums?
No, I like her first two
>when there are lots of small changes
Too small
>That's a deal breaker
Once again, these flaws only show to me on her last two albums.
>Joanna Newsom's voice is far more inaccessible
Exactly. I could theoretically enjoy Grimes' music (and I do in some albums), but it annoys me in other cases

>No, I like her first two
Her best ones are her last 2. But whatever.
>Too small
You need to be accustomed to subtle things.
>Once again, these flaws only show to me on her last two albums.
Her voice is more melodic on her last 2 albums. On her first 2, her voice sounded much stranger. I think you just prefer weird voices.
>Exactly. I could theoretically enjoy Grimes' music (and I do in some albums), but it annoys me in other cases
Well, you still have her first 2 albums to enjoy.

>I think you just prefer weird voices
I think that you make stupid assumptions about people on the Internet

I think you're unnecessarily rude.

Thoughts?
>moving up in the world guys! tomorrow Grimes will be included in the #bazaaricons list! curated by the great @carineroitfeld . thank you @harpersbazaarus ! p.s. I kno i've been quiet lately - in the studio every day trying to legit make something you've never heard before. unexplored sonic landscapes. i need another month or 2 of pure unadulterated creativity at which point i will begin finishing tracks. won't let u down

Why? You made an assumption with not enough evidence to make it. I think that's stupid, and would expect for anyone else to also criticize me if I did the same thing. Also, to add to my point about being too repetitive, those small changes you told me still fail to make the piece interesting.

I said "I think...". That isn't a fact but a mere opinion. You're just rude and I tried to be civil. Shame on you.

>i wanna be quick tho! my goal this time is to avoid over editing and let everything be strange and free haha dunno if that makes sense.... but also i appreciate these words just in case i end up taking another year. not planning on t tho

>That isn't a fact but a mere opinion
And voicing that opinion was stupid of you.

Anyways, why has no one said how Grimes is innovative?

Read this and you'll understand: >unexplored sonic landscapes

>And voicing that opinion was stupid of you.
It wasn't. If you can't handle even the slightest criticism maybe you shouldn't be on this board.

So, what you're saying is that she'll make an innovative album soon?

>It wasn't
Yeah, it was, since it wasn't true and making an assumption off my liking of two albums over two other albums is just dumb
>the slightest criticism
It wasn't even a criticism m8

>So, what you're saying is that she'll make an innovative album soon?
Yes. Also her existing music is already innovative because it's groundbreaking and unique. Her mix of synthpop, dreampop, IDM, classical, K-pop, alt-rock, industrial, ambient is her trademark.
>It wasn't even a criticism m8
If it wasn't then why did you react like it was?

>her existing music is already innovative
What is she doing that hasn't been done before? Combining genres together notwithstanding since she's not introducing any new sounds.
>Then why did you react like it was?
I didn't. I just called you stupid for making an assumption (well actually, I didn't, I called your assumption stupid), I didn't claim that you criticized me.

Bump

>What is she doing that hasn't been done before? Combining genres together notwithstanding since she's not introducing any new sounds.
Her actual music. That specific mix of hers hasn't been done before. By combining genres together you can create new sounds. Also did you forget that she used synths and samplers and those tools are capable of creating new sounds?
Case in point:
>I'm always listening for interesting sounds. Like, for example, I recently took a sample of some percussion that had a lot of melodic information in it, put the verb up to 100% and then sampled the verb so that none of the original sample was there but it contained the melodic information. Sometimes I record things in the house like beads or whatever etc. Sometimes I get found samples from online bird watching communities or this or that, haha. Usually I use some combination of these methods.
>For the song “Venus Fly", for example, I had these awesome 808s, that I built using two different 808 sounds. Then I sampled a dentist drill and tuned it to the 808s and layered it very lightly on top so that they sounded a bit more savage but also wide and clean cuz I think I panned the drill hard and the 808s were mono in the center.
ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/
Grimes is exploring new sounds and new ways of making music (she also did sample packs for Roli) while keeping an eye on solid songwriting. She doesn't deliver empty experimental crap but full-fledged songs with experimental elements. Mozart said it better:
>The golden mean, the truth, is no longer recognized or valued. To win applause one must write stuff so simple that a coachman might sing it, or so incomprehensible that it pleases simply because no sensible man can comprehend it.
Grimes is chasing that golden mean; not too simple / plebeian and not too complex / unlikeable. That's why she's special.

I want to become a Grimes!

>What is she doing that hasn't been done before? Combining genres together notwithstanding since she's not introducing any new sounds.
I'm sorry, but did Grimes already lose? Oh, that's right. The decade isn't even over yet. In fact, it's just getting started. Does not being the most listened artist in spotify counts as a loss? Is that what you're saying? Because if you're saying that I can assure you that you're wrong. Why would you make this post when the decade is still going on? Grimes is still in the industry right now and she has been the best female artist for how many years now? She's going against some of the worst artists in the industry who just happen to have hype because they're feeding off the bad taste of the masses. But you know what? They still fucking suck. Grimes is one of the best fucking artists, she has over 10 confirmed skills in different areas related to music. Maybe you should shut the fuck up before you make retarded posts like this. You know why? Because you're going to be embarrassed when Grimes wins and someone bumps this topic. Oh look at that, Grimes just said she could release a new album soon, just like people were worried about. Are you a fucking drunk? Are you retarded? Are you autistic? You are a fucking idiot and you should never make a comment on this board again and I'm fucking serious. I almost have a feeling you're the only guy making all these anti-Grimes posts because you're a faggot hater who doesn't like Grimes because she's good. Fuck you, be good at something in YOUR life and then maybe try to troll fucking genius artists on the board, like I give a fuck. It's so easy to spot out your posts now, you're a retard. Always doing stupid shit like this. Why don't you try to be a good poster? Just for once? For once in your fucking life try not to make a comment like this. That's just you, you're always right at getting it wrong. Fuck you. You are nothing.

Being innovative by combining genres that are often combined already (synthpop and industrial especially, dreampop with synth vibes, k-pop and alt-rock aren't really full genres, and ambient is also often combined with industrial) is not really a feat. Also, I'd like to see one of Grimes' songs that combines all of those genres that you mentioned in one song.
>new ways of making music
What's new about adding sounds usually considered weird to more traditional song structures? That's been around forever.
>empty experimental crap
Spoken like someone who mostly listens to poppy music
>not too simple and not too complex
You mean experimental pop? That's also been done before.

wut

*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.
See you on the boards...

Whoa calm down sparky. You seem to be fighting with someone while making no point at all. You are telling this other person what kind of opinion they need to have. Well here's mine.

She's not unique. The same argument for any artist being a special snowflake could be made if you want to list 15 random genres. I'm 99% sure you actually just think she's super special because she's pretty, young, confident, and female.

A live show seems to consist of this floozy pushing a button every few measures while dancing around, then moaning some high pitches into a sound system rife with distortion.

I hate it, I hate her, and I hate you.

>Being innovative by combining genres that are often combined already (synthpop and industrial especially, dreampop with synth vibes, k-pop and alt-rock aren't really full genres, and ambient is also often combined with industrial) is not really a feat.
Seriously? Just how many songs do you know that sound like say Circumambient, Kill V. Maim, Eight, Scream, World Princess, Favriel, Beast Infection, Laughing and Not Being Normal, Omega, Colour of Moonlight, Pin? Name them.
>What's new about adding sounds usually considered weird to more traditional song structures? That's been around forever.
It's not the process, but the actual sounds. The results. She created new sounds -> she's innovative, simple as that.
>Spoken like someone who mostly listens to poppy music
I listen to music with great melodies, from Brahms to Herbie Hancock. A lot of experimental stuff sounds like shit irl.
>You mean experimental pop? That's also been done before.
It doesn't matter if it has been done before; it hasn't been done in her style. She created her own niche where she sounds only like herself. There are some vague similar elements to other artists but that's not enough to deny the fact she's original.

>Seriously?
Yes, and the similarity of songs to those other songs is not relevant.
Also, I'd like an answer to my question
>But the actual sounds
Bird sounds and drills are both samples in music, nor did she create those sounds.
>A lot of experimental stuff sounds like shit
What experimental albums have you listened to? Also the addition of "irl" to that post is unnecessary
>It hasn't been done in her style
Her style is not any new sounds, she legitimately barely sounds different to any synthpop artist.

>She's not unique. The same argument for any artist being a special snowflake could be made if you want to list 15 random genres.
Just your silly opinion. If you think she's not unique where are the other artists like her? Where is the Grimes before Grimes? Where are the other artists able to make songs ranging from Heartbeats to Scream?
>I'm 99% sure you actually just think she's super special because she's pretty, young, confident, and female.
Lots of female artists are like that. Not an argument. And btw she's almost 30, not really young.
>I hate it, I hate her, and I hate you.
Ridiculous statement. Just don't hurt her, Ricardo.

You realize that Ricardo actually liked the artist he vowed to kill, right? Think before you post

Her Music sucks.

>Bird sounds and drills are both samples in music, nor did she create those sounds.
She used those sounds with other sounds and she created new sounds. Plus many other tricks. You can actually create a never heard before sound.
>What experimental albums have you listened to?
Quite many. I don't have time to post them.
>Her style is not any new sounds, she legitimately barely sounds different to any synthpop artist.
You clearly don't know synthpop is you say such idiotic things. She's significantly different than any other synthpop artist. Actually post a synthpop song like this one: youtube.com/watch?v=FTvanzhR6ok
It's very short so you have no excuse to not listen to it.

>implying you're not ricardo2
Stop hating her, maggot.

Grimey sounds like mall music.

She's making unexplored sonic landscapes and you say this crap? Sad.

"unexplored"
She's making basic ass pop music, dude.

sorry i'm late and choa is better

there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Don't ever make guitar music, please and thank you.

What amp? I repeat - are you blind?

Yeah but im a delusional narcissist and you're not. Shut up

>She used those sounds with other sounds and created new sounds
Ok, then every single artist that isn't a cover band is technically innovative. When you stretch it to say that using samples used before in a very specific way, then there is no power within innovation and it's useless to say.
>You clearly don't know synthpop
Yet another stupid assumption! You're oh for 2 buddy.
>Actually post a synthpop song like this one
That's not even a synthpop track, but outside of the tracks she makes that are extremely dissimilar to the rest of her music, it sounds no different.

ATTENTION

I truly believe grimes is the premiere visionary guitarist of her generation. Please, if you feel the same come discuss her tremendous guitar related talents in /gg/!

Be warned though! Mods have a strict policy of ON TOPIC guitar related discussion in /gg/!

If you can operate within the rules you're invited to participate! Thanks!

- /gg/

kek she doesn't even play guitar

wew

she might be good at synth, but she's pretty bad on guitar

St. Vincent mops the floor with her on guitar

i hope our grimey is sleeping well

bump

Grimes

St. Vincent is superior at guitar, but Grimey is learning too. Don't forget that Grimes is an always evolving project.

Grimes is finally realizing that her early work has value:
>its cool to have a preference!!! i mean now that time is passing i see why people r so attached to the earlier works. they sound like nothing else, and i'm realizing that my true goal is to make something that sounds like nothing else. i needed to make art angels to prove my skills but now i want to integrate the skills w the creative approach i took on earlier alvums. sorry if i was defensive of AA when it first came out there was just sooooo much pressure coming from label fans everybody and i was too tired to properly internalize it all. appreciate ur consistent fandom over the years xxxx
instagram.com/p/BXWnCzRjzDq/?taken-by=grimesartofficial

Basically she wants to make an album that uses earlier album aesthetic but with new ideas and her improved production skills. It could be her best album ever.

People wouldn't have a problem with Grimes if you guys stayed to your own thread. Raiding other generals with your shitty waifu is annoying, and it's the reason why so many people want you outright gone

They don't care about you

>People wouldn't have a problem with Grimes if you guys stayed to your own thread.
Wait a minute: why should we stay in one thread? Where is such a stupid rule? Why do you think we should obey to your arrogant wish?
>Raiding other generals with your shitty waifu is annoying
Uno: posting in other generals is perfectly OK. Due: if you insult our favorite artist like you just did don't expect us to be nice to you. Basically fuck off.
>so many people want you outright gone
Like we give a flying fuck. Haters gonna hate, we're here to stay.

Is it because nobody really cared about grimes?

she's not good at music guys but she's trying really hard

leave her alone !

You = nobody

>Can't read or write music
>Can't write a 4 part fugue, let alone a 6 part one.
>Doesn't know what the range of a clarinet is
>Doesn't know music theory
>Doesn't know form
>Has never written an opera
>Has never written a string quartet
>Has never written a symphony
>Has never written a piece in sonata form

i like her fresh look

She's not a classical musician to compose sonatas and stuff, she can read the modern notation in programs like Ableton Live, she knows enough to make her great music and she's still always learning. Maybe she doesn't know music theory and how to read sheet music, but she knows producing and songwriting which are more valuable skills in modern music.

Now erase your silly meme.

bet you are a talentless prick and reason being so your parents sent you to music school or opera. and still you remained a talentless fuck can't do anything so yuo are just jealous and blaming on her by the terms you learned there

In general, failed musicians tend to be very picky about her music and criticize her a lot. If she would actually listen to these losers she would be a nobody just like them.

I'm not him but I'm so fucking depressed man. I've lived inside my room for the past 3 years and I feel like I can never leave it. I want to end it all.

At least it's not 2012 anymore

>

Don't fucking remind me.

Her music simply sucks.

you suck

No. You suck. Stop posting that fake poll, for fucks' sake. Your autistic poll is so out of touch with reality it's embarrassing. You rejoice living in a lie. Get lost, sucker.

i love her

Her music sucks hard.

Who's this "we" you talk about? Do you have multiple personalities disorder? If so, seek help.

Just you having shitty taste...

"We" as Grimes fans. That user said "if you guys stayed...". He talked to her entire moo fanbase. If you're too imbecile to understand that, it's not my fault.

For fuck's sake, this guy shared a pretty interesting recent comment from her and you guys find it more important to "fight le evil haters!!!" than to actually discuss this recent interesting comment from the artist? Please stop derailing the thread.

>people want you outright gone
Do you half wits ever stop to think you're getting memed daily by haters who want us off the board?
No, you're not smart enough for that.

He means stay in threads related to Grimes. Don't bring up artists in threads not related to them. I don't care if you post Grimes in a favorite female artists thread, but don't spam her in Bjork or Kate Bush threads.