The Marvel "Symphonic" universe

HOLY FUCK
Marvel is finished

youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Guy literally points out that every marvel movie has shitty soundtracks and that it is further botched due to incompetence, and the fact that most composers copy over the music from the previous movies.

He says that the musci is cookie cutter trahs and that this is really not how good movies are made.

He asked people to name one song from the MCU and they couldn't!!
HOLY FUCK

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fcm7OjoOz4A
youtu.be/jqlddXTcRWQ?t=220
youtube.com/watch?v=OTb5jJu9pho
youtu.be/R2tBYMvDmDI?t=56s
youtu.be/pFS4zYWxzNA?t=25
youtu.be/ugSvRdX5wuE?t=1m29s
youtube.com/watch?v=S176AKQhcCk
discogs.com/Rob-Dougan-Clubbed-To-Death-Compact-Disc-Experience/release/8065
youtube.com/watch?v=dgZ_0msKRAE
youtube.com/watch?v=4cpHyxhlI1c
youtube.com/watch?v=SG36KyYzlIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4XJ07onCqAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6F2UOjOI8
youtube.com/watch?v=LtocayLtVrE
youtube.com/watch?v=A9tuXEEO7KE
youtube.com/watch?v=qrXwAeJ87Bk
youtube.com/watch?v=0gTO1ezXdp4
youtube.com/watch?v=PTqbfip9llg
youtube.com/watch?v=1oiG8KmKpqo
youtube.com/watch?v=ENAqD_w5pKs
youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso
youtube.com/watch?v=VkG4tUehC88
youtube.com/watch?v=BHyO8ztfE8k
youtube.com/watch?v=gtK93-GmQqY
youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw
youtube.com/watch?v=M89VLZgo1Vg
youtube.com/watch?v=I-qMBS1frkM
coub.com/view/3z5xd
youtube.com/watch?v=lHOrLYoimhA&list=PLUmPEta3SjeXWsM3g-rrFkuvBwp3q5qth&index=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, I remember guitar theme from Iron man and that's all.
youtube.com/watch?v=Fcm7OjoOz4A

.....that's not even a marvel theme, that's Ac/DC shoot to thrill.

Very few people give a fuck about scores anymore.

DC didn't even use the classic Superman riff, and no one cared.

not to sound edgy but seriously I'm puzzled by the number of people who didn't know temp music is a thing and has been a thing for fucking AGES

say holy fuck again, I'm beginning to think you might be older than 12.

>DC didn't even use the classic Superman riff, and no one cared.
OST for Man of Steel was pretty good.
youtu.be/jqlddXTcRWQ?t=220
youtube.com/watch?v=OTb5jJu9pho that scene and score from it was very good.

Imagine when Marvel fixes this issue up, their movies will only be better. This is a great opportunity to improve.

I suspected it from how similar shit sounded and how forgettable movie soundtracks seemed to have become, but I didn't know about it by name, no.

It's a hollywood flick problem, it's not limited to marvel or even capeshit

I like the Avengers theme

No it wasn't. It was completely forgettable, unlike the original Superman score. Most movies scores are completely forgettable. Name me the last time we had something like the Star Wars theme. None of these themes will be remembered 10, 15, 20 years down the line.

This, and WW's theme was GOAT

Plus, the music during the metropolis fight scenes in MOS was amazing

middle_finger.jpg

>not posting the best one
youtu.be/R2tBYMvDmDI?t=56s

>Name me the last time we had something like the Star Wars theme
youtu.be/pFS4zYWxzNA?t=25
Most OST from Matrix.
Theme from The Rock.
Inception's DUUUUH? Maybe.

>Imagine when Marvel fixes this issue up, their movies will only be better. This is a great opportunity to improve.
DELET THIS MARVLELKEK

DELETE
E
L
E
T
E

>middle_finger.jpg

moms
gonna
freak

>Inception's DUUUUH?
literally pic related

>Name me the last time we had something like the Star Wars theme. None of these themes will be remembered 10, 15, 20 years down the line.
28 day later

youtu.be/ugSvRdX5wuE?t=1m29s
and this one is great too, but i couldn't remember from which scene was (unlike the music from the first flight)

I know, right? But question is about "will be remembered".

youtube.com/watch?v=S176AKQhcCk

The Thor movies' music is quite nice, very Romantic and sweeping
Also he's ignoring the fact that franchises like Star Wars, Harty Potter and James Bond are culturally pervasive phenomena that have been established for years, it doesn't matter that they've made numerically smaller numbers at the box office than Marvel

Nope. This is shit-tier theme.

>This, and WW's theme was GOAT
HAHAHAHAHA
This is why we need Sup Forums to be our sister board again and not Sup Forums cancee

>Inception's DUUUUH?
It's BRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMM, newfag

>thta guy at the end who sings th eentire spider man theme

nope

Leit motifs are literally the pleb filter of classical composition.
>pop movies are bad because they do not use pop music: orchestra

lol there is a huge difference between John Williams writing a memorable theme for your movie and just using an already released piece of music on your OST

discogs.com/Rob-Dougan-Clubbed-To-Death-Compact-Disc-Experience/release/8065

EFaP is made for entry level analysis. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, i wish there were more people out there trying to broaden the horizons of upwardly mobile plebs.

has anyone actually watched this? i shut it off at 4 minutes

false equivalencies and contradictions

It seems like capeshit would be perfect for a really big and grandiose score.

>Vancouver Canadia
It all makes sense now

>culturally pervasive phenomena that have been established for years
And capeshit isn't?

usually like every frame, but this one seems a bit off. As said those movies are defined by their soundtracks, there are many good to great films that arent. Also the avengers theme is memorable as is the winter soldier music.

I did and I couldn't find the logical fallacies you're talking about. Care to educate?

Captain America's themes are fucking good:

youtube.com/watch?v=dgZ_0msKRAE

The problem with Marvel is that they don't trust their composers. They don't give enough exposition to the brilliant themes they write. I just don't understand why they never repeat a character's theme from movie to movie.

Not really, even Marvel really became a worldwide phenomenon with the first Avengers only 4 years ago

lol... nope.

>John Williams writing a memorable theme for your movie
youtube.com/watch?v=4cpHyxhlI1c

These are some pretty nice tracks

youtube.com/watch?v=SG36KyYzlIQ

youtube.com/watch?v=4XJ07onCqAs

youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6F2UOjOI8

also The Winter Soldier music stuff is nice too

>They don't give enough exposition to the brilliant themes they write. I just don't understand why they never repeat a character's theme from movie to movie.

This

Good Marvel Scores:
>Thor
youtube.com/watch?v=LtocayLtVrE
>Thor 2
youtube.com/watch?v=A9tuXEEO7KE
>Cap 1
youtube.com/watch?v=qrXwAeJ87Bk
>Iron Man 3
youtube.com/watch?v=0gTO1ezXdp4
>Ant-Man
youtube.com/watch?v=PTqbfip9llg
>Incredible Hulk
youtube.com/watch?v=1oiG8KmKpqo
>Age of Ultron
youtube.com/watch?v=ENAqD_w5pKs

The rest range from average to shit, and I agree that Marvel doesn't use their scores to their fullest potential

They should have got someone decent in like Howard Shore.

Thought it was BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh no! No one can recognize the music because unlike all those other franchises we do remember, there are no continuous themes between all the movies.

Oh no! It's like we are grasping at straws trying to convince a wide audience to give up on the MCU because we can't remember the generic cinema orchestral mud that plagues all modern popcorn flicks not just the MCU.

Oh no! Hum me something from the fast and furious, or transformers, or Borne while you're at it.

Fellowship Of The Ring?

>Captain America's themes are fucking good:
There is no melody to remember. It's average. Maybe a little bit more than average. Compare it with Man of Steel's score, sounds like same na-na-na-na TUUUUUU na-na-na-na-na-na TU-TUUUUUU, but there is a little more complex melody in it that you can remember.
BTW, this theme I will remember for a long time
youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso

To be fair Pacific Rim's theme plays all the time in the movie.

>bourne

BWEEEEEEEEE BWEEEEEEEE

He pretty much set up a false equivalence that leit motifs are the same thing as a soundtrack.
People remember the James Bond tune, but who can hum any of the score for Moonraker? When the average person hears "Live and Let Die" how many people think Guns n Roses or, rarely now, Paul McCartney? Would any of them know that was a James Bond theme song? How many people would be able to hum the theme songs of You Only Live Twice, License to Kill, or Octopussy?

Star Wars drilled the leit motif of its opening theme and the Empire theme as much as it could into the scores. Does that actually define good composition, though?
Let's try applying leit motifs to screenwriting. Scene: A character wakes up from having been rendered unconscious. Character notices that they had been tampered with while in this unconscious state. Character remarks "Did you change my clothes while I was asleep?"
End scene.
Now take that exact scene and insert into a single movie three to five times. You've just created the Hackowski's Jupiter Ascending.
Would anyone say that was a truly engaging and well created movie on the simple fact that it repeated that single scene multiple times? Would you say the narrative of the acts were fully tied together simply because this scene happened in each of them?

Leit motif is just the "pop song" of the orchestral world.

he has a point about temp scores, tho

youtube.com/watch?v=VkG4tUehC88

I can still remember the title song of Goldeneye. As far as I can remember, they only played it once in the whole movie.

>all these people debating whether Marvel has any good or memorable soundtracks/songs
>people posting a whole lot to try and prove everyone wrong
>when all you need is the Avengers theme
>AND THIS

youtube.com/watch?v=BHyO8ztfE8k

Seriously, TWS's soundtrack is god tier.

Are film scores even necessary? Why are they seen an anything but a crutch or a clumsy way to force the emotion where cinematography fails?
Lets follow a simple logical chain. The purpose of a good movie is to ultimately create a make-believe world as "real" as it possibly can (note: real doesn't mean realistic). Which means that anything that detracts from the illusion should be considered as negative and brushed away, right? People hate CGI, even good one, because it obviously does not 'belong' alongside real actors, real sets etc. Isn't music the same? Music does not 'exist' in the fictional reality of a movie unless someone in the scene explicitly plays a musical instrument or listens to headphones, so music cannot possibly support the illusion. On contrary, good scores present tracks so powerful that their emotion completely strangles the scene and destroys whatever natural emotional response a viewer could've experienced from the scene itself.
tl;dr scores are cancer, fuck em

Sounds like genetic cool ebin music you can find in videogames nowadays.

Yes film scores are necessary. They are meant to build emotion or give tone to a scene.

Take Jaws for example. The Jaws theme, that memorable "dun dunn", only plays when the shark is nearby or on scene. This works because of the fake out in the movie with the kids playing the prank. The shark theme doesn't play then. But it plays shortly after when the shark attacks the guy's boat in the smaller side area.

Film score can be used to great effect, just most people won't do it like that anymore.

Good greif, is this video gonna be shilled all week now?

I can dig it

>TFW Iron Man 3 secretly Marvel Kino

The whole point of movies is that they're audio visual experiences.
Adding overtly and excessively dramatic music can be a crutch, you're absolutely right, but it's important to remember that the audio component, when done right, can be very complementary to the visual.
If you remove the audio component completely, then you might as well just look at a slideshow.

REMINDER
>REMINDER
REMINDER
>REMINDER

I've noticed Marvel don't really hammer down a motif throughout the movie. As say Hans Zimmer, who is still amazing. I've found quite a few Marvel movies to have pretty good scores. The temp music was interesting and the stuff about drowning out the score is true. The interview stuff was pretty dumb.

>They are meant to build emotion or give tone to a scene
Thats my point fampai, good scene should do it on its own, by using characters, dialogues, camerawork etc. Music in my eyes is an equivalent of 'feel emotion now' sign shoved in a viewer's face
Powerful, emotional scenes completely devoid of music exist (see Sup Forums's dear The Wire, 6 seasons show with absolutely no score apart from intros and outros), so music is in no way essential to anything

What a shitty argument.

What a child piece of shit. I didn't dislike this guy enough already.

>TWS
TWS in general was pretty decent movie.
Godlike OST is for anime now. And you don't need to repeat it 100 times.
youtube.com/watch?v=gtK93-GmQqY
Shiro Sagisu is live.
Shiro Sagisu is love.
youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw
youtube.com/watch?v=M89VLZgo1Vg

But wait, there's more!

wait until you find out what site he comes from
literally here. before this channel he tried a thing that compares remakes vs their originals, but everyone told him the videos were shit

They have problems with their music, fair criticism.

Once they improve it Marvel Movies will feel so much better. They're able to make a really diverse universe and have multiple stories and characters who feel unique.

All Marvel Movies are missing is some tweaking and fixing up music. Once this is done we're looking at an age of Cape Kino from Marvel.

Is it you?

It's shocking how people don't care about film music. They think John Williams does all movie music ever. They're fucking idiots.
If there's one good thing that comes out of this video, I hope it's that people start becoming more aware of the score, and become more critical of the RCP type of shit you can hear in today's blockbusters.

youtube.com/watch?v=I-qMBS1frkM

Still the best use of music in a marvel movie

no.

Isn't this all dependent on someone's memory? I don't get why he singled out Marvel when I could easily of hummed a tune from an MCU movie. Why not just make it movies in general? Which he basically did anyway. What a hack.

But my point is that certain movies, like Jaws, used the theme to great effect in a way that you couldn't have done with any of that other stuff.
How would you have properly signaled the fakeout and built the idea that a certain technique would have been the one for Jaws being on scene?

>beg 30 guys to shoot it live
>not our sourcing to one Korean managing a 30 man CG farm in Vietnam

God-tier? It adds intensity to the fight scenes (particularly the causeway battle) but most of it is droning synth pad nonsense.

here was my take

false equivalency: he asks people to sing songs from franchises like star wars/ 007...these are franchises that have existed for decades and have left their mark on american culture...also, they use the same themes in every movie...the star wars intro crawl is always the same, the bond music is always the same...every mcu movie has a different score...so it makes sense that the same tune for decades is more memorable than an individual tune used for 1 movie

part 1 of 2

Iron Man 3 is the worst of the Iron Mans.

>muh anxiety
>help me, kid

Lord of the Rings
Spider-Man (2001)
Interstellar
The Phantom Menace
Super 8
The Dark Knight Trilogy

This is the only problem. There's no consistency across the franchise, which gives the entire process a disjointed feel. The Avengers theme was the only carry-over, and apparently that was rushed into AoU's score at the last minute.

contradiction: he says that the problem with marvel music is that it does not invoke emotion...he uses iron man as an example...a few minutes later he says that marvel music is used predictably by then showing scene after scene where the music matches the mood of the movie...he says when you see something funny you get funny music and when something sad happens you get high strings...well it cant be both right? either mcu music invokes emotion but does so in a boring way, or it doesnt invoke emotion at all

this guy just seems like hes trying to be the coolest/smartest kid in class without merit....i dont know shit about music so take my opinion with a very small grain of salt

part 2 of 2

IT WILL NEVER BE OVAH

I think his point was that in both cases the music doesn't make an effort to help a scene stand out. Obviously you don't want the music to overpower what's on screen, but the MCU's music doesn't necessarily augment the picture either.

>that fucking guitar
>that tritone
Good stuff

I also think because it's all different directors and composers, it's harder to get that consistently when different people wanna try different things. Compared to Star Wars where it's one composer/one director.

>Popularity is a measure of quality

Yes, he seems like an asshole in the comments, but the video still has a point. Nice try marveldrone :^)

>Interstellar
I remember only this and only because it had a lot of parodies.
coub.com/view/3z5xd

i dunno man

>music doesn't make an effort to help a scene stand out
>music doesn't necessarily augment the picture
i would argue that his own video contradicts this pov...i would argue that having music that matches the mood (that he shows examples of) does indeed complement the scene

>don't want the music to overpower what's on screen
i think this is the opposite of what hes worried about...he says that when mcu music is good that it is 'overpowered' by dialogue and uses cpt america as an example

>implying I like marvel or shitty film school rejects

His girlfriend is an animator, not a very good one at that. But yeah carry on.

Once Marvel promotes Bear Mcreary o the big leagues then you will get your themes, he was told not to do themes for battlestar and in the end his music was a plot point

His score for 10 Cloverfield Lane was actually pretty top-notch
youtube.com/watch?v=lHOrLYoimhA&list=PLUmPEta3SjeXWsM3g-rrFkuvBwp3q5qth&index=1

Shit, for a moment I thought I was on Reddit.

You have shit taste then. It's a carbon copy of every generic pseudo-epic high school concert band piece. Anyone who played trumpet in grade school played that piece a thousand times.

This. Wagner was a hack.