Why did the media turn on Arcade Fire?

Let's be 100% objective.
They haven't had one single good review (at least not from major news outlets) of their new records.
What did they do to piss off the MSM? Obviously it's not that their album is utter bullshit, since their previous record was also huge crap.

What changed? Did P4K mark the trend? Did MSM get tired of their condescending shit?

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

nme.com/reviews/album/arcade-fire-everything-now-review-2017
twitter.com/somekindofkelly/status/893248923892109312
stereoyum.com/072217/arcade-fire-premature-evaluation-everything-now/review/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do you think the last two albums are worthy of being praised?

Regine has a nice ass.

I do not. Refkletor is "less bad", but it's still pretty shitty.
One of my favourite reviewers said:

"They ended their career just like Jamiroquai did...they released a disco album in America after 1974"

They went full late 90s U2

THEY STARTED MAKING BAD MUSIC
IDK WHY MU THINKS THERE'S SOME KIND CONSPIRACY OF ALL BLACK PPL GET AUTOMATICALLY PRAISED ALSO

THEY PROBABLY GAVE THE OTHER RECORD THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

OP is on point desu

"Meanwhile, Arcade Fire took the opposite approach. On top of putting in place a dress code for a concert in Brooklyn, New York, (which wasn’t the first time they demanded a specific aesthetic from people paying to see them), they launched a fake website with a fake review days before the album dropped. And in fact, they based their whole publicity cycle on the concept of fake news altogether, a somewhat irresponsible tactic considering how loaded the term is and what damage it’s currently doing. Even this week, the band claimed you could pick up their album via a $109 Fidget Spinner, making Arcade Fire the “how do you do, fellow kids” screencap of the music industry."

>ouch

>one single good review
nme.com/reviews/album/arcade-fire-everything-now-review-2017
for fucks sake OP at least try

>nme.com/reviews/album/arcade-fire-everything-now-review-2017

(((NME)))

he asked for a single good review and I gave him one
NME is questionable but its decently normie-tier/MSM so i dont know what the fuck your problem is

Hadn't read that one user. He sounds like a fanboy though.

Reflektor is underrated as fuck, Everything Now has some great songs on it but doesn't work all too well as a cohesive whole which is something of a bad sign.

the misuse of Bowie in that album is just plain disrespectful

which album? First of all, Bowie was friends with the band, and second of all, Reflektor came out several years before Bowie died. I don't remember a Bowie reference in Everything Now.

One of the tracks is called Electric Blue. More a kinda nod to Bowie than trying to cash in on his fame or anything. Like you said Bowie was friends with the band. Fun fact: when Funeral first dropped he went round New York buying loads of copies to hand out to his friends.

See? You're a "fan" and don't even realized Bowie sang on Reflektor.
So disrespectful to use a legend is such a shit way

Not an Arcade Fire fan and Bowie's spot on Reflektor is great, the theme of the song actually fits in quite well with his work on the Next Day and Black Star.

oh, yeah. i was thinking more lyrically references, had heard about the title thing, it's more a nod like you said.
uh...yes I did? the usage was great and unexpected, and the reference was downplayed enough that it felt natural. what's your problem?

I'll be honest here, I haven't listened to Reflektor yet, just not got round to it. Also, does someone have to be used a certain way on an album?

Reflektor wasn't huge crap, it was just a stepping stone to them becoming huge crap. Also, considering that they were coming off The Suburbs + an AOTY win, they had the critical equivalent of plot armor. They could have released anything and gotten major acclaim. Same reason why Kendrick Lamar's last album got perfect reviews.

well if you're flaunting and screaming to the 4 winds about how David Bowie features on your records and in the end the song has two words of backing vocals, then you're just an attention whore

I don't even remember them saying it has Bowie on? Hell this is the first I've heard.

fuck they didn't shut up about it

>Reflektor
>Afterlife
>Eurydice/Orpheus
Just admit it's a decent album; musically ambitious at the very least

3 average songs make an album decent?

wew lad, you have very low standards

Better than EN with _____

Here Comes the Night Time, We Exist, and Joan of Arc are pretty good songs in my opinion

The band tried a satirical marketing campaign for EN that a lot of people fell for. The sad part is that fucking fidget spinner for sale was real: twitter.com/somekindofkelly/status/893248923892109312

Downgraded the satire by a country mile.

kind of pathetic and clearly out of touch with their fanbase

>What did they do to piss off the MSM?
They got butthurt over Stereogum and whenever critics sense weakness they move in for the kill stereoyum.com/072217/arcade-fire-premature-evaluation-everything-now/review/

They did well in British newspapers (Guardian and Times), 4 stars