Why didn't knights just use a sword fastened on a stick when fighting other knights?

Why didn't knights just use a sword fastened on a stick when fighting other knights?

Mutual respect for the form and those who trained them; dignity for themselves and the art.

that's what a spear is you fucking retard

Bo, I'm not thinking about a spear. Think long sword with a big blade. Not an arrow tip.

Most likely this idea crossed your mind because you are literally retarded. Think of shit like balance, it would be INSANELY EASY to disarm and kill someone with a weapon like that. You could close that gap quickly and you wouldn't even need a weapon, you could choke them, the weapon becomes useless.

With your logic WHY DIDNT THEY JUST THROW THEIR SWORD AT THE ENEMY, HURRR DURRRRRRRRRR

Those weapons already exists and are called Naginata

The Zanbatō is other example of over size sword, along the Zweihänder

naginata is not a sword on a stick.
he said literally "sword fastened to a stick" not a naginata.Those were specifically designed to be what they are, he is talking more a weapon of opportunity.

I believed OP is a retard, then I tried to put some sense on it, but you are right, bro

>tfw your enemy brings longer stick

Love you bro.

>strap on heavy metal plating
>put a heavy metal weapon on the end of a pole
>fall over trying to lever it at the enemy in a reasonably timeframe
>fall on the ground, get stabbed in the neck

>wear heavy metal plating also on neck
solved

>>cover all armor in 30 foot spears with 1 inch spacing
>>never lose a battle
>>one man army

Because knights usually wear armour. A sword can't cut through mail, which means you have to use it thrusting, which basically makes it a bad spear. Against plate you cant use a sword at all. So when knighta fight against knights they usually used polearm or warhammers. Swords were secondary weapons for knights. Prince Valiant is not historically accurate.

A knights battlearmour would weight an absolut maximum of 40 pounds. Knights where able to sprint, jump and climb in it. It's a missconception that they were immobile.

Naginatas are useless against european knights in platearmour though.

The greatest Japanese swordsman, musashi miyamoto challenged his rival to a duel. To piss his opponent off he deliberately came hours late to the meet up and during his time he carved a wooden weapon out of a log. He was sure to make the weapon longer than his opponent, kojiro sasaki's katana. He'd go on to beat kojiro to death with his wooden sword.
So his ingenious in pissing off his opponent and having a long sword would lead him to victory

Wow man you are retarded. It's not easy to clpse gaps against polearms, it's in fact close to impossible in a 1v1 situation. That's the reason why the majority of infantry in medieval europe used polearms as primary weapons. Also you cant choke someone in armor you retard.

>too heavy to move
>attach wheels
>congrats, you invented tank
>attach your sword on stick instead of canon
>win

>cover his breathing holes in helmet
>he can either suffocate or put helm down and you choke him
do you even medieval?

A medieval helmet is not airtight man and a medieval knight is a professional warrior. You dont go to a professional warrior, put down his helmet and choke him. Also he still has a sword or morningstar or warhammer after you broke his polearm. I dont think you did any research on that. At the moment he looses his helmet it'd be ways easier and faster to smash his face in with a weapon or even your gauntlets. Show me the medieval transcript where your choking-technique is described!

After lurking this thread i'm not sure who's serious, who's trolling or who's retarded, and at this point i'm afraid to ask.

>Why didn't spear exist

So, a polearm?

This is the truth. Google for "mobility in medieval platearmor" you can also look for tests with swords on platearmor, but stay away from historychannel shit... they use larp armor for their testing.