/turnleft/ - Can-Am Duel At Daytona Pre-Race/Race Thread

Format: Two 60-lap/150-mile, races. Finishing position determines order for odd and even sides of the grid, respectively.

Forecast: 69°, 88% humidity, 0% chance of rain (first race may be delayed due to earlier rain)

Race 1:
Green Flag: 7:20 p.m.

Row 1: #24 Chase Elliott - #2 Brad Keselowski
Row 2: #78 Martin Truex Jr. - #4 Kevin Harvick
Row 3: #20 Matt Kenseth - #18 Kyle Busch
Row 4: #17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr. - #19 Daniel Suarez
Row 5: #22 Joey Logano - #6 Trevor Bayne
Row 6: #27 Paul Menard - #1 Jamie McMurray
Row 7: #43 Aric Almirola - #34 Landon Cassill
Row 8: #32 Matt DiBenedetto - #37 Chris Buescher
Row 9: #75 Brendan Gaughan - #72 Cole Whitt
Row 10: #55 Reed Sorenson* - #23 Joey Gase
Row 11: #83 Corey Lajoie*

Race 2:
Green Flag: 9:00 p.m. (approx.)

Row 1: #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr. - #14 Clint Bowyer
Row 2: #11 Denny Hamlin - #5 Kasey Kahne
Row 3: #31Ryan Newman - #13 Ty Dillon
Row 4: #48 Jimmie Johnson - #42 Kyle Larson
Row 5: #21 Ryan Blaney - #77 Erik Jones
Row 6: #41 Kurt Busch - #10 Danica Patrick
Row 7: #3 Austin Dillon - #47 AJ Allmendinger
Row 8: #95 Michael McDowell - #38 David Ragan
Row 9: #15 Michael Waltrip - #7 Elliott Sadler
Row 10: #96 D.J. Kennington* - #33 Jeffrey Earnhardt
Row 11: #51 Timmy Hill*

Highest finishing driver with a * in each duel will join Brendan Gaughan and Elliot Sadler as the four non-charted cars to run the 500.

Other urls found in this thread:

zoofalmily.net//?canal=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who /missdale/ here

switch the first row in the second race

The 2 Penske's and Harvick lined up outside of all 4 JGR cars and broke them off one at a time.

Hendrick appears to have the qualifying speed down here, but it'll be Ford's tonight and a Ford on Sunday.

Who /ragsinabox/ here?

who /singlefileracing/ here

Why would Chase or Jr even try tonight? All they'll do is risk fucking up their cars. They're already locked in on the front row.

Hendrick cars are super loose in the pack, so if I were them I'd try to stay out front for the first 2/3rds of the race then just wheel around like 5s off the back at the end.

They can get points

>no class tomorrow
>12 pack of Fat Tire beers
>turnleft is back

Ahh that's right, forgot about that.

>mfw Trucks tomorrow

They are under the 100% rule and teams will be wanting data in race conditions after the break. Going out in the Duels isn't really a problem as long as it's not a complete write off because teams have three days and a practice session on the Saturday to get the setup back as well.

Jimmy getting loose and Chase having a shitty time mid pack should tip them off but at the same time Bowman had a great setup and was up front a lot. Could see Dale taking Race 2 if he races smart.

tfw rags

Hendrick gets the poles cuz so little drag and downforce. Which will be fine tonight with increased grip, but when they race in the day (Clash/500) you see how fucking loose they are in the pack.

They'd be better off giving up some qual speed for better handling.

double fisted with the rags

I think you need to look at it strategically. Running in the pack is a complete fucking dice roll anyways where you can't even point race reliably if you wanted to so they build their cars for 1) the big PR boost of qualifying and 2) having the best chance of winning the race from the front.

With the new meme points system you want to be out front the entire race anyways.

Streem?

zoofalmily.net//?canal=1

Dale looks so happy when he's with Amy. So different from his weird autism several years ago when he couldn't win or hold an interview without spilling spaghetti.

Yeah actually, with all the rained out practice they are in need of data

>4 cars for two spots in the Daytona 500
>tfw the Duels will never mean anything again

>it's another grid walk episode

He went from driving Lance Mcgrew shitboxes and everyone comparing him to JJ and Sneak while he parties at Whiskey River to being his own man and having fun again while he fucks Amy on the reg.

pls no concussions

Even if he has another one and has to retire, he's at least happy now. He was so awkward and sad for a few years there.

>trumble

He said at media day that if he wins the cup he's going to retire on the spot.

Are there ever any wrecks or excitement in these duels or do drivers just play it safe and boring?

Little bit of both, tho with points on the line I think guys will play it safer than usual and take a top 5 if that's what they have.

It used to be really exciting given that 50+ cars would show up every year trying to make the race, but now that the car counts have dwindled and franchising guarantees 36 out of 40 cars into every race, the element of who's going to win the field is pretty much gone.

They're offering points in these races for finishing in the Top 10 now, but we'll see if the drivers actually bite and race hard for that.

usually they are boring since no one wants to tear up the same car they're using for the 500, but since these races are for points for the first time maybe the last few laps might get exciting

Remember the year Mike Skinner and Derrike Cope beat and banged and wailed on each other coming to the finish line only to realize they both missed the field because Bill Elliott had passed them?

wag1 lads

>no official saying "the command has been given" like in indycar

I'm disappointed that the shit-tier "Daytona Day" marketing is taking away from the fact that FOX's actual Daytona 500 commercial is really good.

Who /Otis/ here?

>tfw no more sneak

>tfw got to attend his last race

Will be a feather in my cap forever tbqh

this may seem like a stupid question, but, why don't the drivers simply turn on their headlights for night races? you'd think that Daytona Beach is spending countless dollars and energy by providing lighting systems for the track, when they could simply turn their headlights on!

>using paper towels instead of rags in a box
Smh

Would you a Jamie Little?

Which last race? Miami, martinsville or the 24h? Sneak has retired 3 times already

Martinsville last year.

BOOGITY BOOGITY

BOOOOOGITY BOOOOGITY BOOOOOOOOOOOGITY

BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY

>inb4 high line wins and nobody can pass the leader lol

okay, Sup Forums

i havn't watched NASCAR much at all or kept up

I know sprint wasn't coming back (we knew this in late 2014) but....why MONSTER? the fucking energy drink that almost 90% of the time caters to self-centered millenials

>am 31, tired of frances shit, stopped watching NASCAR full time in 2015, just watched highlight reels and decided to give it another shot this year

FUCKING SEGMENTS!? ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME, ALL THAT WILL DO IS CREATE BULLSHIT STORYLINES AND FIX THE RACE OUTCOME!!

is Brian France literally the most retarded person in motorsports?

What's he going to do now?

>is Brian France literally the most retarded person in motorsports?

no, he's the most retarded person in all of SPORTS

>why Monster
they paid the most money
>is Brian France literally the most retarded person in motorsports?
all sports

>but....why MONSTER?

>MUH YOUNG PEOPLE

That's literally the reason .

>MUH RIGGING
>MUH STORYLINES

Stay mad fags. Everyone else knew based Brad was winning from the start

Hey idiots, Monster was the only sponsor they could find and their bid was like 20% lower than what NASCAR was asking for

>Race Data
>Points

under the new BULLSHIT race format, the Duel and the Monster Open (the qualifying race for the all-star race in may) are points paying

so they can get some points by doing it

Who /drinkingeventhoughyougotworkorschooltomorrow/ here?

Any stream besides this one? Hopefully one that's mobile friendly

TREVOR?

Pretty cool to see so much strength in the Ford camp this year.

BAYNE??

is Brian France literally the most retarded person in motorsports?
The wall street journal did an article on how bad he has done his job

Kes is so good out front at these tracks.

>McMurray still has a job

LANDON
A
N
D
O
N

that's a load of fucking shit

>NASCAR Employee guy from the clash thread here

they had Multiple offers on the table, but they kept asking for more than the companies wanted to pay

they were asking for 2004 NASCAR Popularity prices vs 2017 Niche Series prices

Microsoft showed interest
Coke Showed interest
Hisense showed interest

there was a ton of companies who pulled their bid after France endorsed trump

Jeff still needs to work on his speaking, but at least he knows what's going on with the cars

>penske driver
>based

select uno

Kes and Jr are so hard to pass when they're leading here.

So you admit it wasn't "MUH YOUTH" then?

And even then it was only because Coke invested so much in the sport that they used their stake in the Monster brand to convince Monster's board to do it as well

give him a break, he puts DW in his place a lot of the times, so it's funny

Jeff is literally fresh out of these cars (he subbed for jr last year) so he knows more than darrel does

this
I called it the day Brian France decided to endorse Trump that NASCAR would lose most of its potential sponsors

WHERE THE FUCK IS ALEX BOWMAN
HOW DOES HE NOT HAVE A RIDE
FUCK THIS STUPID SPORT

Lelgano in the pits

no, it wasn't

Monster was literally their only option

it was either

"accept 20% less and have a title sponsor and operate on a 20% loss"

or

"go without a sponsor for a year and operate out of NASCAR's internal budget"

which one would you choose?

lol of course it's fucking shitlibs who ruin everything

Oh I know, I was just saying his speaking skills aren't quite there yet. I totally enjoy having him in the booth

>Logano has a loose RF

how the fuck you gonna start a race with a loose wheel?

Is the Daytona Day marketing thing FOX is doing really that bad, or is it just autists complaining?

>qualifying for a race that will have an entirely different running order 10 laps in

Always

I think it's well done.

>muh lugnuts

the providence of jamie macmary

Soon™

When did the Duels start in the evening?
I recall them being mid day like around 1/2pm.

LANDON
A
N
D
O
N

WORK WITH LANDON YOU FUCK

>mfw favorite driver is gone so I can finally root for Jimmie
can't wait for the season desu

2014 I believe

>no Edwards
>no Biffle
this feels wrong

a lot of the people who work in NASCAR's office space were all not really shocked

i am a trump supporter as well but he should have waited until coke signed the deal before he endorsed

these sponsorships are BINDING CONTRACTS and they are obligated to sponsor the series or NASCAR can sue the company for millions (if not billions) of dollars

Coke was about to finalize and was going to announce at the all-star race, too

but when he endorsed trump, they literally ended all talks and pulled the bid

>Coke owns monster
they only own a 30% stake and it's just so they can own them financially, Monster is not a subsidiary nor do they answer to Coke Execs, they are their own autonomous company

>single file

Great race we're having, yes goyim? Brought to you by Coca-Cola™

>you will never see a driver dominate the Daytona 500 weekend like Dale Jarrett did in 2000.

His qualifying lap was almost an entire mile per hour than the outside pole and led almost half the race.

They've always been bitchy about Trump

Damn... I guess I haven't been keeping up. I'll shut up asking next what happened to Gatorade sponsorship

Who here /Budweiser Shootoot/ /Gatorade 125 Duels/

the fuck are these horrific "when's the caution" rules??

so what you're saying is Coke was going to give them the best deal, France endorsed Trump, then by November, because so many companies pulled out, France had to beg Monster for something even close to asking price? Lmfao he's retarded.