/daily/ - Anti-Hipster Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/Herbieguy/my-top-50-hip-hop-albums/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elder_f2/lore/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pan•american/pan•american/
youtube.com/watch?v=YO5HeT-TNWY
phinery.bandcamp.com/album/--2
cathnor.bandcamp.com/album/wedding-ceremony
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/oneohtrix-point-never/replica-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tim-buckley/starsailor/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/kronos-quartet-pat-metheny/different-trains-electric-counterpoint/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-bulgarian-voices-angelite-feat-huun-huur-tu-sergey-starostin-and-mikhail-alperin/fly-fly-my-sadness/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/comus/first_utterance/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/this_heat/this_heat/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/coil/the-ape-of-naples-3/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop_Battle
discogs.com/DJ-Spooky-That-Subliminal-Kid-vs-Alec-Empire-Live-At-Soundlab/release/350155#images/1455708
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/wise_blood/id/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

More like /daily/ GOT TOLD.

What are some good roadtrip with the boys albums

Thinking like MBDTF or something but I need 13 hours worth

qwerty123

new chart woo

[spoiler]i'm probably not gonna finish this[/spoiler]

Lonesome Crowded West, the Monitor, Double Nickles on the Dime and Generic have always been crowdpleasers when I've driven

you can't spell roadtrip without rip

Never ended up posting it here it looks like.

After 3 months I finally made a list of my favorite 50 hip hop albums from my long journey. Thoughts? Feel free to roast/rate.

rateyourmusic.com/list/Herbieguy/my-top-50-hip-hop-albums/

i second the comment that says do an EAI list, hip hop is a complete unknown to me

uh maybe you'll like this more than me
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elder_f2/lore/
and some dubby post rock
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pan•american/pan•american/

Hey /daily/ I'm pretty new to Sup Forums and started filling out a calender for the rest of the year. What do you guys recommend?

what do you like? any artists, genres?

What is EAI exactly?

I'll listen to anything. I want to try and broaden my horizons in music

Except for maybe really hardcore metal and punk.

Electro-Acoustic Improvisation

Free Improvisation, usually associated with noise or drone and textures. I guess you could say it's basically improv with a greater focus on instrumental variety, conventional or not. In no way easy to get into, but here's an EAI release that I really liked recently:
youtube.com/watch?v=YO5HeT-TNWY
Good Morning Good Night (that one album that's a meme) is another famous example. I guess I would start with something quieter and simpler before getting into "let's destroy your ears" sounds, like this:
phinery.bandcamp.com/album/--2
cathnor.bandcamp.com/album/wedding-ceremony

o k
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/oneohtrix-point-never/replica-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tim-buckley/starsailor/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/kronos-quartet-pat-metheny/different-trains-electric-counterpoint/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-bulgarian-voices-angelite-feat-huun-huur-tu-sergey-starostin-and-mikhail-alperin/fly-fly-my-sadness/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/comus/first_utterance/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/this_heat/this_heat/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/coil/the-ape-of-naples-3/

>randomly come across Laptop Battles while looking more into EAI's origins on wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop_Battle
how did I not hear of this

You could also look into /daily/-core if you don't want just my inbred taste

keep in mind about half those albums are just memes or unlistenable garbage

>Except for maybe really hardcore metal

we could try with ~melodic~ hardcore

that album was the only one even near my car stereo for months you could give it another try w/ dem boys >_>

WOOOOOO

slowney
jangle vs stick

>Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes
he can play the keyboard

but will he do anything
3-/11

>Juana Molina - Halo
Essentially the same thing as that Efterklang album, which I've lowered the score of. Soft bleeps and pop but nothing stands out, just exists.
5+/11

stick advances

HOOOOOO

tfw u snort coke off your dick

tfw no dick to snort coke off of

you can snort it off THIS

>Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes
>3-/11
>he can play the keyboard
>but will he do anything
he did do things were you not listening aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Damn, this is pretty good

forgot to add comet's rec to the image

yea
would make a great The Sims soundtrack :}

Good morning /daily/!

How are you?

Rate Comment me and Rec me!

Showing: Last 7 days

no

thread is dead, let's revive it with the classic game of the last 100 rym ratings

post em, guess who is who

eh might as well
just got back from counseling at camp, haven't had time to listen to music since it's no phones in front of campers.

uhhhhh hmm
rec me a good cool jazz album pls

oh no i left my name on woops

trip up how about you shut up

agreed

(yamir, by the way)

Accel
Lamb

tfw saw Alec Empire v. DJ Spooky battle in NYC in 1996
>laptops, records and samplers
discogs.com/DJ-Spooky-That-Subliminal-Kid-vs-Alec-Empire-Live-At-Soundlab/release/350155#images/1455708

Ethan, my man!

throw in some outlaw country / country rock (townes, graham parsons, merle, willie, etc), shit is great driving music

Don't think you're allowed to participate. What do you know about RYM?

I know dadrock genres when I see em, pal!

This is why you got banned

>Various Artists - Imaginational Anthem, Vol. 8: The Private Press (2016)

A collection of uber-obscure American Primitive cuts just in case one needed a reminder that the genre exists outside the 10-or-so names that get thrown around. Of course, none here seem as skilled as the heavy hitters, but the loose nature of the "genre" allows for quite a bit of experimentation and varied inspiration, so the sound is all over the map--from more traditional folk guitar to Indian ragas accompanied by a tabla.
6.5/10

>Judee Sill - Heart Food (1973)

I do like Judee Sill a bit and can conceivably recognize her as one of the great songwriters and know that there are some deep layers here that reveal themselves over time, but how slowly and subtly it all comes. I've spent years now with her two studio albums and I can't say I've totally grasped everything going on there outside of some great arrangements, clever lyrics, and pleasant melodies. I know how thorough she must have been writing this album, but its sweetness verges on Disney soundtrack at times like near-eight-minute closer, "The Donor", until you crack its code, so to speak. She's Joni Mitchell for people with patience. I'm just going to have to spend more time.
6/10

>Randy Burns - Evening of the Magician (1968)

This is pretty great and Randy Burns nails some of the things that drew me to folk in the first place. The feeling here is palpable--he has a great ability to dictate the mood with some always-spot-on, meticulously selected melodies (all with truly perfectly paired faint orchestral arrangements in the background, mind you), if that's not too much of an abstraction to claim. It's so quaint and pleasant and never over-reaching in the same manner as some of the timeless folksingers like Seeger himself. Maybe that's some of the cultural appeal of folk music--this ability to stand outside of complexity (and time at its very best) just to make a heartfelt statement.
7.5/10

dot dot dot

listenalong when

shamepai?
Zolo gives you away
Ethy

Sdc

co
ethy?
blapp

fuck, didn't see it was last month

Dogevillage

delete this
yes
how did you know

co
ethy
accel

Yes.

COMET

MARK AND

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/wise_blood/id/

Getting through another film rec.

>Persona (1966)

The key here is: "Nothing."

This film has already been talked about to no end through more lenses than you could imagine, and it's hard not to project interpretations on it due to its abstract representation of the psyche. Why does it have so many debated interpretations? The most obvious answer is because of some experimental, symbol-heavy, provocative montages throughout--most notably the bookended scenes--but also because Ingmar Bergman charts into some hazy territory regarding our understanding of this thing called the ego.

That's my take on it, at least. What's concretely here is the story of a successful actress that's given up on playing characters to the point where she refuses to speak altogether. She's hospitalized under the pretense of insanity and eventually retreats to a vacation home with her nurse caretaker with whom she develops a relationship. Every critic will inevitably point to the two lead characters here as two vague sides of a single entity, which is less-than-subtly suggested throughout the film: the nurse whose name translates to "Soul" and whose own sanity is violently challenged by a nihilistic worldview, and the actress who's disillusionment has driven her to non-action.

The common projection-interpretation of this film is a compliment to how well it represents this existential dread we all experience through varying degrees and manifestations in the face of mortality and insignificance--a common theme throughout Bergman's films. I'm reminded of Ernest Hemingway's A Clean, Well-Lighted place, which ends famously with the lines "Nada y pues nada y nada y pues nada." Both writers here fill their stories with modern, disillusioned characters without desire and characters who openly self-deceive just to avoid nothingness.
8/10

Is this poseurcore?

As far as film goes, yes. It's canon because it's good though.

recommended record players?

w h e r e ' s
t h e
l i s t e n a l o n g ?

oooh title track is so fresh

would you say it's one of...

...the things that are your favorite?

this has been stuck in my head all week

the way the sax gets back in at 7 minutes is just top tier coolness

want to get smacked bro? :3

Check out some live performances on YouTube where he takes it way out there too

Sorry, thanks.

Jus Fucked Roun An Got Horny

zane

oh shit I meant

is zane

borzoi

You are into music because you want to make music and have that be "your purpose". But you can't. So instead you revolve you're life around analyzing the music that everyone else is making.
Other people don't care about music that much, so they just listen to whatever. This angers you.

me desu

ooh ya got me :( you are superior

FUK

Im not into music.

i'm loving your reviews btw. Like every time I open RYM there's a new one and it's kinda fun

That feel when you revolve you are life around something

RT or you will get visited by the Ring girl in your sleep

fug, I was wondering if people were getting notifications even though I don't publish my reviews. I don't wanna be spamming people, especially since my reviews are generally little notes to help me remember why I deleted an album.

No you gotta keep them, it's very nice going to a small unknown album and seeing a little note from you so I know what to expect of it more than just a genre tag yknow?

oh yeah that post in the redpill thread
good thing people in /daily/ already make music, and I'm very slowly working on it myself

>Miss Miracle - Walk On War
>Dark Ambient
So clearly the first sounds I can interpret is reversed audio clips, which is why I was uncertain going into this album-- being that reversed audio has a lot of internet cliches attached to them. I don't think I was able to get past that on the first track, but Let Down Your Pain's second half was a more interesting step in sound collage.

I think another issue I have with much of this is how much of the sounds droop all over each other like melted ice cream, which isn't unexpected of reversed audio. As much as I like ambient, some solid, tangible sounds are good for giving the music a bit more oomph. Adding a bit of that gives something like a 40 minute drone record some flavor-- the majority of the record is sinewy and thin, with nothing to balance it out unlike Acid Memories.

I like a lot of the different sources used in the majority of this, even under the same filters-- The B-side in particular, from For Valorie, is warming on me. An Angel Gets Its Wings reminds me of Klein - Only, in a good way, and is probably my favorite track. I guess that personal bias is what's keeping me from getting on board with the rest of the album, unfortunately.

>Jorge - True Friendship
>""post-nightcore""
I'm really curious on hearing the sample sources for this, in however they've been manipulated from high-energy to space ambiance like this.

you dominate my notifications tbqh

FUCK wrong image

hampus when
(make sure to read the booklet)

>booklet
I can't find it, did hampo mess with his bandcamp and hide it

I doubt anyone needs to see my lolicore reviews though lmao.

I'm hoping it'll get better once I clear out my backlog, I made multiple autistic lists and it's just bad.

It's on Soulseek

I read the lolicore review you made today B-)

And once again my anger for the RYM mods came to me when I realized "Lolicore" is recognized as a real genre but not nightcore

The RYM genre queues are hell unless you're submitting some obscure regional folk music.

Isnt lolicore just nightcore for people who smell like cum?

I didn't know your mother liked lolicore.

Me neither.

>nightcore people don't already smell like cum