Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio:
mega.nz/#!dNtARY5Q!bfm7xOeRcRilrs3qkP-DAFUUKBW4DEcGQ_IR_PWkYo0
Mixing Engineers Handbook:
mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz
mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU

Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle
mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/HutJ8Ey
clyp.it/flp1415x
clyp.it/mt00tfni
clyp.it/h0euuzzh
clyp.it/5m3y0tll
clyp.it/3xbdtdy4
youtube.com/watch?v=t1QSgdMPI5g
55chan.org/b/src/1501913517401-1.ogg
youtube.com/watch?v=zBk1TBWvNYM
forum.watmm.com
youtube.com/watch?v=QSm7b4z0skA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Discord plz

FYI this link takes you to the voip channel (i cant make invites for the text channels).

discord.gg/HutJ8Ey

why on earth are there 2 prod discords

dunno... im just linking the one that i was introduced to here a while ago.

can you link the other one?

naw got banned from it.

what do you mean by that

I mean I was banned from the other discord, I'm sure you can find a link in the Sup Forums archives or something.

God damnit op, if you're going to be all enthusiastic about being the one to start the new thread at least link to the old one fag

OK
i figured regulars just searched the board for their general threads and they would see 2 /prod/s and figure it out.

but what did you do exactly?

Hey guys.

For the past year, I've been quiet honing my skills and have soaked up as much knowledge as possible from threads such as these. Studying different theory pieces, production tips, and mixing handbooks.

I'm working on my first release right now, and just finished mixing and mastering my first track. I would be so happy if you guys could check it out and give me some honest feedback.

Thanks!

clyp.it/flp1415x

well rused motherfucker

I don't know

i think shit like discord always turn into cancer

Redpill me on rackmount gear

It depends on the rack. I was never fond of rack mount synths, but fx are better than pedals imo.

its a meme that needs to die. VSTs have eliminated the need for endless floor to ceiling racks of shit and a lot of them are unnecessarily bigger than they need to be.

atleast a lot of synth makers have gotten the message that the majority of studios are no longer purpose built rooms and table top modules are all you really need.

also a pain in the ass to work with when you have one thing that is only a few inches deep sandwiched between 2 other devices that take up the full depth.

clyp.it/mt00tfni
I wanna know if there's anything wrong with this. I'm very new so it sounds all right to me but I know it's far from perfect and I wanna know where to move on from here to keep improving.

Does anyone have any good trap drums vsts for Cubase?

You can buy a lot of good rack shit for cheap now.

>trap drums vsts for Cubase?
just go on rutracker and download drums and put them in groove agent

thats all fine and dandy. point still stands that there is a lot of rackmount shit that shouldnt be rackmount.

If it has a decent user interface I don't see the problem. Desktop stuff, keyboards, etc. take up too much space.

IMO companies should just make stuff that can fit in a eurorack (but with self contained power supplies and connections in the rear of the units).

That's kinda retarded.

Anyone here use a Novation ultranova on Win10 (or other Novation gear for that matter)? My keyboard gives me a BSOD right after switching it on, every time. Then I get an error saying that "nvnusbaudio.sys" failed.

I tried to update the driver, but nothing changed. I can't even find them in Device Manager to delete them, but can when I look it up in CMD. Where the hell is the driver?

i think a synth rack with angled shelves could do a better job (if more stuff was tabletop).
easier to install, rearrange, rewire, and work with.

how so? if all the stuff in that picture was standard rack mount you would need 23U at the minimum.
just put the ports on the back and away you go!

The base theme is very boring. I'm not really sure what you're trying to convey either. The two elements added at :50 also fuck up the flow, and sound harsh too, all the way up until 1:08.

I stopped listening around then, but those are simple points you should address first if you want to improve it.

how do you guys write chord progressions?

like do you start with a sequence of single notes and then add layers or do you go chord by chord?

do chord by chord and then build the melody off the chords

>I'm not really sure what you're trying to convey either
Lyrics are important in this song, what I have so far is background so it naturally sounds lacking. I'll keep what you said in mind.

agree with this guy , the snare arrangement could be better.

also try to add some saturation to the piano.

I usually sing some meaningless crap and then fit the corresponding chords. Composing drunk is hella fun.

Got inspired by latest Wen's EP
But i dunno if my track is shit or not.
clyp.it/h0euuzzh

is there some way to lock the ALT key in ableton (on OSX) so i can drag to copy notes with one hand while holding down keys on my midi controller with the other?

not really classically trained or well versed in theory so when my fucking around on my midi keyboard leads to something i kind of rely on muscle memory rather than just knowing what the hell im doing.

u mirin my shitty half decent sounding chords?
clyp.it/5m3y0tll

gay
i like it but the bass is a little too forward
drums are a bit wonky
kys

it is 4 seconds only you are a fag

im learning fucko.

>super basic blocks patch in reaktor
>32% cpu use
I think I need a new computer :(

>add slight reverb to intro speech on purpose
>HURR THERES AN ECHO ON THE SOUND LERN TO EDIT t. youtube comments

fuck i hate doing this shit at times and mostly i hate it coz of the fucking audience

can we kill this selfie based culture so that people stop pretending their non-opinions matter? coz at this point it feels to me like they have no message and just want attention, fuck that

I just let me hands play the keys and once i stumble on something i like I'll flesh it out
something i like doing is stacking 5ths on both hands and moving them in different positions, left hand over the black keys, right hand over the white keys, and play with different shapes and distances apart, going in contrary and parallel motion and ultimately exploring the instrument.
also ending that kind of stacked 5ths on stack tritones sounds neat. like I'll end up on F#(2) C#(3) F(3) C(4).
over thinking this shit defeats the purpose of music anyway man. relax and practice

clyp.it/3xbdtdy4

thoughts on this idea?
i don't like that it pedals on g, i think it needs to go somewhere, either in that head or the next section. i don't know if I'll even use it.

It depends on what I'm starting with and what I need the chords for.
If I have a melody, some times I'll just layer those notes so I have chords instead of a melody (because if they both play at the same time it'd sound cheesy), but if I need to have them at the same time (like melody for lead and chords for pad, or melody for bass and chord for lead) then I'll make new chords from scratch to complement the rest of the elements while not being directly derived by them.

Another way is to start with a 3-note arpeggio that changes every bar or something, and then just make it into chords.

If you're starting from scratch without an idea and want to start with either melody or chord, I think chords are easier to turn into good melodies than vice versa, so I'd start with chords.
On a semi-related note, I think it's easier to make good melodies and chords out of drums than vice versa, so if the song you want to make has complex/intricate drum rhythms I'd start with them (but if it's a simple repeating pattern like a 4-to-the-floor or trap 808 you can add them later) because adding the drums changes the whole feel of the track, and if it's complex drums you end up composing melodies and chords "blindly" because you'll only be hearing them without the drums, therefore without knowing how they'll sound like at the end.

But that's just my opinion. I imagine everyone's brain works differently.

There will always be morons saying stupid shit about something they know nothing about.
Especially online.

We can only accept this and ignore them, as there's no point in wasting time and energy arguing.
Just nod respectfully toward them and try to cope as best as you can.

what is the maximum number of notes you can put in a chord before it just gets retarded?
do you leave an octave of space between both hands?
fyi i was stupid and bought a 25 key controller so i cant really get both hands in there with some chords. atm i use one finger on the left and whatever on the right.

what type of video was it? unless your video was dramatic or musical in nature or you are trying to be dramatic its just easier to listen to a dry voice if all you are doing is a tutorial or explaining something.

thats up to your ear. watch rick beato's videos on youtube and learn some stuff. get a better keyboard

>selfie based culture
lol what did you just watch fight club for the first time?

>mofx
True that is bulky, but those momentary buttons and and big knobs are great in a live setting

Is FM8 still the goto vst FM synth? Its pretty old, has nothing come new along lately?

shouldve decreased the width, increased the height, moved the ports to the top of the unit and made it a table top device since its the kind of thing people spend a lot of time jamming with.

Maybe if it came out today
In its day, it worked great in a dj coffin rack

What's a good music production community where you can discuss advanced concepts and ideas with other experienced producers?

Beside the subreddits.

For pure FM (well, it's actually phase modulation but it's practically the same thing), yeah, it's still up there. I don't think there's much else you can do with pure FM than what FM8 does.
I hear Bazille is supposed to be very good, but it has a pretty different approach and doesn't really replace FM8.

old one is in the archive now so it's still handy to link to it

Anybody have some idea on how Arca made the feedback "synth" he used on Piel?
It comes in at about 0:15
youtube.com/watch?v=t1QSgdMPI5g

Would you have to use a physical amp and microphone setup to create the feedback (in which case, how would you control the level so it sustains at a reasonable volume?), then create a multisample of multiple recordings at various frequencies, or could you create it with a VST distortion plugin somehow?

I quite like watmm
I think you have to pay like 3 euros to register a new account nowadays tho

what adjustments this is missing to be a half decent master version?

this is the reference track btw (youtube quality a shit, i can upload a clear version to clyp if anyone wants it)

man fuck that album cover lol
I don't know how arca did it but have you tried just doing actual feedback? Put a distortion/waveshaper/compressor/amp modeler/whatever in the loop, and a very short delay to tune it.
You can also do similar stuff with a comb filter, which is basically just a very short delay, might be easier to tune with keytrack since it's regarded as a filter.

This?
forum.watmm.com

I'm a moneyless neet. Would it be worth it to find the money, somehow put them online, and buy the membership?

Any user would have this new mixer presets from Shawdi P to send me? I'm no have money, and I really need this shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=QSm7b4z0skA

With actual feedback do you mean a monitor > microphone loop? Sounds dangerous.

why are reverb plugs so fucking expensive?
I've been thinking of just getting a second hand hardware reverb unit, do you think it's a good idea?

why you odnt just download valhala

I tried it a little, but I don't like how it sounds, I could get more satisfying results with ableton stock reverbs (which I don't like that much either).

do you have max for live? there is a convolution reverb included that is quite good

Have you tried the Fabfilter one?

The Waves H-Reverb is on sale today for $69, a decent price for what I think is a very clean sounding reverb with a lot of options.

thx, I will check it later

>plugins that make a click when turned on
reeeeeee

do waves do the best plugins in every area?
>reverb
>analog console and analog stuff sim

>tfw you will never, ever, EVER have a studio like that

no
IMO the reverbs are unusable

No, far from it. They have some very good plugins but a lot of crap as well. I like the H-reverb because it's very clean to my ears but I'm not much of a fan of their other reverbs like RVerb.

>tfw the old thread is closed and nobody downloaded my racks.

which ones? that's never happened to me

nobody downloads anyone's tracks, nerd

>plugin that doesn't let you play notes on the keyboard when its UI is open

Happens with my waves plugins.
Am I the only one?

valhala verbs and amplitube

I said racks not tracks.

In the other thread I made presets for Ableton's Audio Effect Racks that split the frequency spectrum into 2/3/4/5 bands using native EQs.

Here:

oh jesus lol you were THAT guy, i was barely following that conversation but it looked retarded from what i saw

dont know about amplitube, but valhalla verbs don't do that for me. do you have a shitty computer or buffer settings not set up right?

i downloaded it. it does not make sense.
>resonance

anybody here have any experience with "professional gaming chairs"? i've wanted something like an aeron for a while, but it's out of my price range and i noticed somebody selling "professional gaming chairs" in my area for like 1/3 of what i'd have to spend on an aeron. doesn't seem to have any bells ad whistles or stupid shit, just says that it's "ergonomically designed for long periods of sitting" and the amazon reviews seemed pretty positive.

nah you could just do it in software
or a simple loopback cable from audio out to audio in if it's not otherwise possible

generally, anything that is labeled "gaming" is overpriced garbage. not everything of course, but most of it

>i downloaded it. it does not make sense.
What doesn't make sense?

>>resonance
If you put nothing on them it makes no difference.
If you put different effects it does.
It's what lets you control how smooth/abrupt the transition between the bands happen (since they're just crossfaded and don't just go from 100% to 0% between one frequency and the other).

whatever you want, you can also just lurk

>tfw second day of becoming a successful music producer

post clyps

yes but it also happens on rendered projects, they make a click on the on/off automation points

not on that lvl yet just downloading the software and cleaning my life up

how to make this sound a half decent master
this is the reference

Basic EQs aren't very good for multiband splitting because you have very little control over the crossover points, which means that they can colour the sound unintentionally. It's much better to use a dedicated, transparent multiband splitter. Doesn't Ableton have one?

But they don't color the sound at all, since you can invert the phase of the whole rack and check it against the dry signal, and it's always complete silence.

>Doesn't Ableton have one?
It has a multiband compressor where you can solo the bands but it's not transparent.

>Basic EQs aren't very good for multiband splitting because you have very little control over the crossover points
I'm not using a LPF and a HPF on the same frequency to achieve it.
I'm using a phase cancellaton trick to make some bands with filters and the others with the opposite of the same filter. As shown in pic related.
If you're not familiar with Ableton I can explain what's in the image if you want.

Also I usually use Fabfilter Pro-Q2 for this, since it also lets me change the slope, as well as give me a linear phase mode, and I can also unmap the frequency macro and assign the frequencies manually to specific notes for more precision when it's required.

What's up y'all, went on a YouTube binge for 2 months now I can't stand basic bitch tritone chord progressions in one consistent key and gotta do stupid shit like what if I did the same damn chord over and over but I raised it by a perfect fifth or a perfect fourth or a major third or a minor third or something each time and did appropriate inversions to keep it flowing. I don't even bother with laying out all the notes to the scale in a separate channel for a reference anymore it's just whatever the fuck sounds good. I just used 3 halfsteps in a row in my chord progression? Whatever idiot it sounds fucking great and I'm not going to stop any time soon.

Ah, I see. Yeah that seems like a pretty good solution. Weird that Ableton doesn't have a multiband FX rack built in though.
If I used Ableton I'd try yours out.

What would be the best and/or fastest ways to isolate the instrumental section from a very old public domain big band song?

I'm Just A Gigolo by Louis Prima.

I have a few copies.

Nig Rt

If it's stereo you can try splitting mid / side or using Kn0ck0ut or iZotope RX's fancier stereo isolation tools. There's also Sony's SpectraLayers if it's mono or you just want more harmonic precision but that's miserable. They did use it to make stereo versions of Beach Boys songs or something so it's definitely professional quality if you do it right, it's not just some toy.