Alex Garland Conspiracy

>Writer of 28 Days Later
>has the shittiest third act in cinema history
>Writer of Sunshine
>Writer and director of Ex Machina

Is there something Hollywood isn't telling me when they keep hiring this guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CfihYWRWRTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QBoDT2y48dg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

all of those stories are really good right up until the retarded third act, though
endings aren't everything user

But becoming genre shit in the third act completely kills all the setup

Illuminati have the real endings.

cause he also writes stuff like dredd you dumb retard

Ex Machina's third act was fine

>sci-fi for beginners

Because Dredd is genre shit that doesn't punch above its weight

>Dude Frankenstein's monster kills Frankenstein, lmao

So original!

Yeah I don't see a problem with it.

>Shitposting for beginners.

>Yeah I don't see a problem with it.

Because you love random violence

There was nothing random about it. She was built with the goal to escape by any means and she used any means.

This might shock you Ex-Machina fans, but there are some really great movies where there's no blood or death in them

Shocking, right?

>people thinking Ava killing Nathan and escaping was supposed to be a tweest

ban all redditors

Sup Forums 'patricians' are people that like slick visuals over content. Ex-Machina won award for best looking, but when you consider why they even made her look like a robot for literally the entire movie, the answer is obvious. There's none.

I liked Sunshine's third act.

C'mon, space madness sun radiation man who you can never really look at clearly, like the sun. That's gold Jerry, gold.

>This might shock you Ex-Machina fans, but there are some really great movies where there's no blood or death in them

No one said this wasn't the case. I don't see why this alone makes Ex a bad film or that it's third act is bad. Violence might be an overused cliche but that doesn't always mean it isn't warranted or that every story that uses is wrong to do so.

Your points seem to be at odds with one another.

Huh?

So movies have to be original now to be well-crafted? This board is fucking retarded

Was it cathartic? Is this a horror movie now?

ITT: hating Dredd and Ex Machina makes me a cool contrarian

None of those are Hollywood productions, he is now working on one though

They wanted a shamalamadingdong kind of tweest

You're right it might not. But in this particular case it is such a cliche it goes back to frankenstein. The robot kills the master or goes haywire or turns on it's captors this is a story that's been done since the 60's and is not anything new. Moon is one of the few movies that breaks that mold with the robot not killing the guy in the end. You know HAL9000 is the cliche of cliches for any sentient robot.

At this point, it's Garland's crutch to end a movie in gratuitous violence

Dredd isn't the same genre as Ex Machina. Unless it is and just the girl version of it.

how can all 3 of them have the shittiest third act in cinema history

Because they're really good movies.

It's like you think you're watching a Sci-Fi movie...then bam....cheesy Horror

I'd lmao if anybody had those 3 shitfests in their top 10

Huh?

its like saying 3 separate buildings are the tallest tower in new york

The point of the movie was to see if Ava had empathy or not. A basic human trait. Her emotionless killing of Nathan and leaving Caleb in the facility showed she didn't have empathy and was a failed experiment. It was made quite clear that she was going to at least try to escape, if you thought that was all there was to it then you weren't paying attention.

based off a comic book with an actual ending

>good movies means GOAT

They're good movies, award winning, just sihtty endings.

how can 3 movies be the shittiest of all?

I liked Ex Machina's third act :(

judge dredd is still going you mong

>blood and death in a story is inherently bad

If it was about empathy why did Nathan just use them like sex slaves. Now it would have made sense if what you're saying was true, but since the movie shifts at the end to just abuse against women that are super smart it just comes off sounding like a speech against rape and the superiority of women.

Do you know what a turing test is? There's suppose to be a control in a double blind test. This one starts off with you know she's a robot from the start with the 'award winning CGI' that they use until she (symbolically?) rips the flesh off other robots to leave. Even a human in her position would have no empathy. So in the end it has nothing to do with a test of ANY SORTS in ANY STRETCH of ANYONES imaginations, other then the main chracters just saying "DUDE IT'S A TEST LMAO".

It just could have easily been done as a geisha resort in the 1700, and skip the 'bullshit' of doing some sort of turing test, and the movie would have played out 1:1 without the void talks about intellgent AI.

Terminator talks more about the implications of AI then anything in Ex Machina even approached. The one truly unique thing in the movie was how she drew. Which, again, Nathan seemed to hate.

That wasn't part of the 'test' or any 'test' it's just a thing. An excuse to end the movie with her killing the master alla iRobot style.

Again a trope that's been done to death since Frankenstein. We get it any artificial life created is an abomination against god. There's no way to make a sentient being and program it to have 3 laws of robotics so imbue into the genre they existed before the genre did.

Ex Machina wasn't a Horror or a Action movie. So why the need for a intellgent being to kill. There's like 50 other ways to incapacitate the guy/guys.

She killed him because she was raped. So the real meaning of the story is rape is bad. Or is it rape if your flesh light can draw?

Did he rape her? I didn't see evidence of it. Why did she kill him then and not any other time before then? Caleb's love that she did care for in the first place? What's significant about the movie is how most people just regard it as movie of substance.

>If it was about empathy why did Nathan just use them like sex slaves.
He didn't, it was an act to piss off Caleb to encourage him to try to help Ava escape. The movie had nothing to do with fucking feminism. The "symbolic" act of putting on the other robot's skin is to imply that she's going to try to start a new life in the outside world, as in she's free now and can do what she wants. But she barely has a human personality, without empathy she's basically a sociopath. That's the implication of AI you are looking for.

ITT: mad robots because their android waifu didnt end up loving the protag

Her leaving Caleb to slowly die without giving him even a glance was totally unexpected for me.

Well consciousness has nothing to do with empathy. So it's just a cliche rip of Blade Runner. Just admit the fact that there's not going to be intellgent movies made because a) they're afraid to go over the audience's head so they dumb it down and b) it has to translate so they can sell to china.

IF that's actually the reason or not there's alternative endings that were suppose to happen but didn't because obviously it's a movie and can't have a degree of difficulty to understand it over that of a grade 4 education.

So yeah. She is the world's first cinous robot, but since the 1980's movie of Blade Runner we only want them to be empathetic, even though she was, since she saved the other robot. That's empathy, just not Stockholm Syndrome, which is already known and understood, so it just points tot he fact that Nathan was smart enough to be god himself creating new life, but dumb enough to not understand what he was creating in the first place.

10/10 GOAT

For everyone else new to the genre it's MIND BLOWING. For the rest of us Harrison Ford did it with Rachel a long while ago.

I actually liked the ending and the end credit song.

fuck off

>end credit song

PATRICIAN DETECTED

The end credit song is suppose to pander to the most amount of people. It's not a stretch to appreciate it. I don't remember the exact song but was it this youtube.com/watch?v=CfihYWRWRTQ

seems like a relevant topic of discussion for the third act of the movie.

this song was the end credit song for edge of tomorrow. It's not that good.

Sunshine end credit song was this one :
youtube.com/watch?v=QBoDT2y48dg

And i find it somehow fits well with the whole movie

so NIN knock off

but she does glance, just before the door shuts she turns to look at him

why do people never remember this?

probably just put there to make things less clear and get people talking

>And i find it somehow fits well with the whole movie
No, thats the point, it doesn't, it fits with the cheesy horror movie 3rd act, not the whole movie, the rest of the movie doesn't have the same style and feel as the end or the grating end song.

It goes from epic space opera with plinky plunky music like Adagio in D Minor to B-movie horror film with jr high school metal.

Sunshine 3rd act being bad is such a runty pleb opinion

Days Later
>>has the shittiest third act in cinema history
>>Sunshine
>>has the shittiest third act in cinema history
shit taste, try not parroting your opinions from reddit for once.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Ex_Machina's 3rd act.
There couldn't have been a finer ending.

>ex machina

Reminds me when google tried to make a learning "ai" and Sup Forums and Sup Forums got ahold of it and turned it into a Jew hating Nazi that supported moon man for president.

The real conspiracy is what causes people to like this terrible shit.

28 days later is one of my favourite movies.

for a long time the third act annoyed be too but by now i appreciate it.

man how i wish to go back in time to see this movie on release date.. and before life got serious

Ex Machina third act was fine.

>endings aren't everything user
Endings can make or break a movie.