Any computer science majors/grads here? How hard was it? Was it worth it?

Any computer science majors/grads here? How hard was it? Was it worth it?

My roommate freshman year was comp sci and he used to masturbate in the dorm closet when he thought we were asleep. just food for thought.

It's not hard if you feel like thinking a lot.

Lol'd

A different user, would you recommend it ?

I like thinking logically. If you do too, then go for it.

Got a cs degree a couple months ago. As far as employability goes it was a total waste of time

Different person again, but I'm just so scared to take the math classes. I know that the harder you work, the easier anything is, but it just seems so hard lol. Looks like I'll just need some adderal

What should I say to my 15 junior self about how to find his passion so I know what the go to college for?

Pic unrelated

....how? Did you not take any internships? I've never heard of anyone not getting a job with a cs degree

This depends on where you go. The school I went to has an 90% hire rate directly out of school

Different user again, I'm very much the same. Reversing assembly interests me immensely, any advice on how to get into the field?

A cs degree isn't enough for a job any more, at least not around here in Ontario. 2+ years of work experience and a portfolio of a half dozen frameworks is what is expected for unpaid internships at no-name companies around toronto.

BC looks more promising but I'll probably need to head down to the states like everyone else

Probably just a Canadian thing

Thanks trudeau

The fuck? Is this bait?

I wish user

First time on Sup Forums?

fuck. there go my dreams of become a rich chad programmer.

This.

Same thing happened to my partner. He is still paying his study debt, and hasn't been able to land employment related to CS.

I like to study CS for fun, and recently i felt like getting into a CS grad, people tell me i have a tedency to solve problems logically and i would do great with programming professionally. I've been thinking hard about programming for a living...

so the whole job security thing is a myth?

I got a degree in CS from the University of Washington. I would recommend it user if you like logic, design, and math. I was able to secure a job in under a year starting at about 50k, now up to 80k after 2 years. There are weed out classes like any degree. The group work is the hardest part because fuck you incompentat assholes. Go for it, coding is a superpower.

Not really. Depending on what country you live in it's hard to fire you without a solid reason, assuming that you are a good employee and have a good relashionship with your co-workers.

Nice... I currently live in Brazil, biggest reason i want to study CS is because i try a logical approach to solving problems in my everyday life, and people tell me i should go for a grad, maybe if i get good enough i might even be able to fly out of this shit country.

Clearly you've never been to the USA

I'm in exact same boat user, exact. I want to take CS but I am awful at math. It's a shame because from what I heard you don't really need all that high level calculus

You got me there. Didn't know it was so harsh in the US

Any degree worth having is going to be difficult to obtain. That being said, it really depends on what you want to major in. Web development is piss easy, because it's basically not even programming. Networking comes next, however I'd suggest doing a run-of-the-mill IT degree if you're interested in networking, unless you want to develop standards. Software development can have it's challenges and requires a diverse range of knowledge in regards to how computers store, read and write data to volatile and non-volatile memory, as well as the syntaxes of the dozens of languages you'll learn to use. And last up is Security which deals with steganography and the current encryption standards used for the transferal of data across the different protocols.

Was it worth it? Yes. If you enjoy the idea of being given problems, and designing a multitude of solutions to fix them then you'll love the degree. If you give up easily, and you hate using analytical skills, the dergee is not for you.

studying game design and development, still no clue why i do this.

Easy and yes BUT only if cs is your passion. Although if you're a good programmer, you don't need uni to find a decent job.

They can basically fire you for almost anything so long as it's not gender, race, or age related. But on the flip side I can walk out and they can't do shit.

Lots of people needed in games right now, just move to a place you can get work. Vancouver, London, Montreal, Frankfurt etc.

Discrete Structures usually weeds out the lazy people. Just pay attention and STUDY. Actually open the textbook and study. Practice coding and don't rely on googling answers when your program doesn't work. Try to solve it on your own.

Make sure you find a school with a kick ass CS program. Get an internship, you'll need the experience. Experience is everything in this field

Finished compsci a year and a half ago. Got a job immediately, it's easy work if you're good at programming.

Dammit, studying the international part at groningen, Netherlands. hmmmmmmm do you know some places? :)

Your mom