Opulent/decadent horror

I had a dream and although I forgot most of it, there was a specific mood that I'd like to find in a film. Witchcraft/occultism/horror in opulent trappings, or amid decadence; nightly revelry, demonic pacts, carnivals, conspiracies.

I'd just like to find a correlate in film for these impressions. The dream took place in historical Argentina but I guess that's too specific, any glamorous setting like that fits. Argento's Three Mothers movies are a bit like it.

let me bump it once

The Sentinel and Gothic tick most of the boxes. Both are melodrama but that's sort of the point. Recommend an inebriant for Gothic.

If you want something dream-like and short, try Invocation of My Demon Brother

Suspiria
Inferno
Mother Of Tears

what a waste

Fuck Mother of Tears. It's like it was written by an edgy teenager.
>and then the bad guy takes out her intestines and strangles her with it!

Fuck Off.

Yes, MoT is a bit crappy but you might as well finish the trilogy. Inferno is solid and Suspiria is god tier.

You might like to read pic related, OP.
>themes of witchcraft/occultism
>often has a horror feel
>decadence is arguably a theme
>night revelry
>I think there might be a small-scale conspiracy
>takes place in Chile

Eyes Wide Shut

The Ninth Gate
The Devil's Advocate
Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon
I Walked with a Zombie
The Order
Society

Santa Sangre

OP mention the Three Mothers trilogy.

YOU wasted those sweet, sweet trips

so YOU fuck off

These are exactly it, thank you all
The novel looks fascinating I'll definitely read it.

I appreciate it, I did see the three mothers already but it would be just what I'm looking for. I think I enjoyed even Mother of Tears a bit for the mood, as stupid and as terrible a conclusion the whole thing was, lol.

If you like to read, check out El Club Dumas before you watch The Ninth Gate (its somewhat loose adaptation).

The Brotherhood of the Wolf

>The Order
Fuck yes.

That movie deserves way more attention than it gets.

Surprised nobody has posted this yet

You might also like The Company of Wolves, though it's not big on opulence.

Baskin

Interview With the Vampire has dat decadent aesthetic down pretty well.

>Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon

My eternal subsaharan brother, Niall McGuinness is excellent in that movie, and the short story it's based on, Casting the Runes by M.R. James, is also really good with excellent creepiness.

Legend with Tom Cruise & Tim Currie would fit the bill.

Bump because I too am interested

I need to read the story sometime, because I loved the movie.

The movie definitely takes some liberties, but keeps the core of the story very well and makes Karswell such a fantastic character. There's some creepy scenes in the story which aren't featured in the film, but you'll have to read those for yourself because they're good stuff. Honestly I'd recommend any M.R. James, he was a good writer and his ghost stories are genuinely creepy in places. A Warning to the Curious is a really good one.

ty for this thread opie

The Devils Carnival, if you can find it.

didn't it turn out well?

thank you to everyone who responded you're lovely