/Prod/ - Music Production General

OLD THREAD: Post snippets using clyp.it
It helps if you give an introduction and tell people what you are doing and trying to accomplish along with your snippets

give recs etc

NO SOUNDCLOUDS, YOU WILL BE EXECUTED

Sup Forums /Production/ Resources:

All-round Info:

Mixing and Mastering;
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio:
mega.nz/#!dNtARY5Q!bfm7xOeRcRilrs3qkP-DAFUUKBW4DEcGQ_IR_PWkYo0
Mixing Engineers Handbook:
mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz
mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU

Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle
mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gVAXbJzgQDc
clyp.it/mon05mud
discord.gg/XYyJT9
clyp.it/xrdp4k55?token=08208d46ad63b71366b168a0cab53a5a
youtu.be/7RiRPNHkVhE?t=3m45s
clyp.it/2yustg4v?token=eb54324705f90ec6170f597c59fd3418
clyp.it/21zptsbj
youtube.com/watch?v=eHSWK0WJzpo
youtube.com/watch?v=q20LOvxqNnA
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8xdsZhfrcA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OK that is good to know. When I first started out I always imagined that the majority of the gear would be light up and functioning and running at the same time on every other song.

Makes me wonder why so many people leave their shit on 247. Everytime I see an interview inside a recording studio there is almost always a wall of racks behind the guy bleeping and booping.

in a commercial studio you always have an automated system or at least a series of switches next to the door that turns all the shit on in the right order because you don't want to crawl around behind desks racks and turn on 200 devices every day.
also blinking lights obviously look good on camera

>switches next to the door that turns all the shit on in the right order

what? i didnt know it was like starting up a nuclear sub.

it kinda is, you don't want to have any switching impulses on the speakers so these power on last, you don't want to blow any fuses by turning on all the outboard or all the hueg console power supplies at the same time, and so on.
often this is done with a series of timed relays so you flick a switch and everything boots up neatly

They probably just turn them on for the interview.

I wonder if having them turned on 24/7 would wear them more than just keeping them off when not in use.

>turn on the eurorack
>wait a few minutes for it to warm up
>make sure all the oscillators are in tune
eurorack is cool and all, but its such a hussle

there is a lot of debate about that, especially with analog consoles where people argue that the power on / heating up and cooling down every day wears down the power supplies faster than just leaving them on, even talking about sound because some neves seem to need hours to really stabilize all the voltages across the board.

this is a lot more obvious with old analog synths as some of these drift heavily when warming up so some places they're just always on in an AC'd room because turning them off and warming them up again might require you to retune

When is a preset no longer a preset?

Sometimes I find a good preset (mainly because of how the fx chain sounds) and swap out the oscillators, maybe adjust the filter envelope and maybe swap a few fx plugins out

The sound is now different aside from the ADSR
But the initial conception is not mine

I probably wouldn't have thought of a way to achieve this sound without using the preset as a base
But fundamentally I didn't create it, I just based this new sound off of it
Not sure how I feel about this

How does /prod/ feel about it?

Nothing wrong with that. But you should take this as an opportunity to learn so you won't have to rely solely on those presets.

im also asking /pcbg/ about this but i wanted to know if anyone uses dual xeons for their studio machine and weather or not it is also practical for a single card gaming rig

As someone who uses Omnisphere and Absynth a lot, presets are fine to use in any way.
The hate towards preset is silly.
Presets are meant to be used.

Oh for sure, but sometimes my mind just draws a blank and I know I need another sound going on
Looking through presents for ideas to take and reshape help give the ol' noggin a boost
Still, it feels dirty

Open your mind man.
I used to feel the same up until recently, but to fix that I started doing sampling (lo-fi hiphop, plunderphonics, vaporwave).
Creativity doesn't mean that you have to come up with sounds from scratch.

>The hate towards preset is silly
this

most people wont even be able to tell its not a from scratch preset anyways.

its fun to tweak synths and come up with shit but at the same time its kind of stupid that people insist that they must toil away to make patches that just sound like variants of whatever is already included with the plugin when they can just take whats included and tweak that into a variant in a lot less time.

its like they want to be prepared incase they have to produce a song on a deserted island with no internet with a synth that only has the init.

I do use presets, but since I make music to learn and improve, I try to make everything from scratch because it's the best way to get better.
If I was making music just for the public (meaning that making a good end product is the goal) then I don't see why not use presets.

Also we have to consider the type of music and why listeners listen to it.
For example, if I'm making a progressive house song and just need a nice supersaw, then nothing wrong with a preset because the sound isn't a very important part of the song, but if I'm making dubstep, neurofunk, or any other sound-design-centric music, then I'd prefer if the main part of the song was made by me, since it's basically the reason why they're listening to it in the first place.
If people were listening to my work saying how good my sound design is, I'd feel like a fraud knowing I didn't make it.

The same goes for using midi loops and kits in progressive house.
If the composition is the central part of the song and I didn't make any of it, then people would be appreciating the work of somebody else while all the praise would go to me.

If you're making music for money/fame then none of this matters. Just use presets and sample loops and do whatever gives you the best results.
Nothing wrong with that.

Do you use Ozone inside your DAW or standalone?

How can I make the bass sound this clean like on this track?
youtube.com/watch?v=gVAXbJzgQDc
I like how smooth it is, and I know Erick (the producet) uses Ableton. I'd like to know how to make it sound as clean as this.

I keep trying to design growls but they always sound somehow too choked or dont blend in with the rest of my sounds because they sound a bit too faint. Is it a problem with compression and if it is, how should i go about the compression?

DAW... you only really need standalone for doing entire albums because its easier to load and export the tracks from standalone.

standalone also has more intuitive undo/redo functions so you may want to consider it even for single tracks.

>inexact quote from deadmau5
>If you can affect one person with your music, then it's pretty much worth it."

Enhance the highs, probably by subtracting some bass frequencies. This way you can have more perceived loudness and cut through the mix without affecting peak amplitude too much.

>If you can affect one person with your music, then it's pretty much worth it
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! yeah man the thousands of hours and dollars on gear was totally worth reaching to that one guy.

I'm sure that's just for show in the interview.
But guilty of leaving all my gear on for days while I'm still working on something.

Analog does take some time to warm up and does impact the timbre. But for me it's more about retaining the cv sync sometimes those clock dividers don't trigger the same way every time

clyp.it/mon05mud

Was just messing around w my pads and refused to use quanitzation lol

experimental dubstep I guess

How do I mic a drumset with this thing? I don't want it to sound too roomy so I was thinking of sorta hanging it overhead above the snare or something.

why not focus it on an individual drum and play a set then move it to the next drum and repeat?

might have to spend some more time re arranging things in your DAW though.

Sounds like an FM synth with a very slight attack curve on the vca

shove it up the drummers ass

>making music for other people
plebs

Yeah that's a nice idea, gonna take some more planning beforehand tho.

i enjoy the songs i make
>but other peoples shit will always be better

yeah... make sure you use a click track to minimize discrepancies between takes.

>How do I mic a drumset with this thing? I don't want it to sound too roomy
but XY stereo condenser microphones are better suited to being room mics than micing a kit
>why not focus it on an individual drum and play a set then move it to the next drum and repeat?
unless you are a human drum machine there's no way all the takes would line up, unless you meant just playing a single drum in each take

>but XY stereo condenser microphones are better suited to being room mics than micing a kit
Well it's the only thing I have.
Would it be wise to just focus on one of the 2 and treat it like a mono mic?

you are probably right. im not really a drummer so im just talking out of my ass to be honest.

possibly, or maybe summing both mics to mono

>anyways who actually on here talks about production and what they make?
Not many desu it seems mostly shit posting as you've probably worked out yourself by now

>what's everyone using?
Samplers, samplers, samplers, more samplers, bit of euro rack, SPACE ECHO.

Let's talk about gear and production techniques

Was thinking I might stop buying hardware but that OP picture has made me feel like I should buy a fuck load of gear to surround myself in

discord.gg/XYyJT9

>two discords
end this

I don't get why you fags feel the need to shift discussion from generals to discords any way.

anyone familiar enough with de-verbing vst options to offer a recommendation?

yo i dig this mgs2 vibe

I think modular synths are the one case where less if more when it comes to gear. The more modules you have the more concrete each module becomes, like someone with a dedicated portamento/glide module is probaly never going to use maths for portamento.

Can I get a rate? I've been working to master this for awhile now and I'm at a loss for how it sounds.

clyp.it/xrdp4k55?token=08208d46ad63b71366b168a0cab53a5a
>dnb, electronic, remix

youtu.be/7RiRPNHkVhE?t=3m45s

how does one make this bass sound here at 3:45? both the synth patch (which was likely made on a microkorg) as well as whatever compression or mastering huerco s is using here.

bonus question: how in the hell does someone compose a bassline this funky?

Quick draft in Ableton with sampled reaktor
clyp.it/2yustg4v?token=eb54324705f90ec6170f597c59fd3418

How's my sounddesign?

software is such a great label and huerco s is fantastic.
i can't help you tho

Do you guys buy ableton or pirate it

Any change made on the preset is not the exact same same sound as the preset.

You have created something entirely new.

Any jungle heads in today?

I'm trying to chop up the amen break and would like some arranging tips.

I've chopped and mapped it to midi and but most of the drum hits are off the 16th notes...I'm guessing that is to with the swing of the drummer but obviously when I start re arranging the drums it sounds all fucked up?

pic related

mfw after thinking too much about setup, cant make anything w/o OCD tendencies.

I bet the guy who owns all that gear produces boring ass techno that could be made with a Casio keyboard and ableton effects.

clyp.it/21zptsbj

Guys, I just finally spent the money on a Nord and I'm really happy with it, how do yall think it sounds?

Sadly this is probably true

too much money, so little talent.

youtube.com/watch?v=eHSWK0WJzpo
APOLOGIZE NOW !

>entirely
I don't think you understand what this word means.

How do some guys just sit down to fruitloops and make godly stuff i.e. burial and some tryhard as fuck and never get anywhere i.e. majority of boring techno producers today.

What are the former doing correctly and what are the latter doing wrong

Too much reverb on the guitar, I think a more dry, funky sound would work better.
Organ (which I assume is the nord) sounds great though.

I think the biggest thing boils down to composition, it takes more than being a producer to make great songs. Being a musician is the first and foremost thing, so decide what your goal is. Do you wanna make people say oh shit what the hell am I listening to, I CANT STOP. Or do you want people to say, yeah nice beats sounds good.

Put that emotion into the music you make, it will make its way out eventually

Burial has soul and a good vision of what his music should be, boring tehcno producers are just copycats

I think you're right, fucking fender spring reverb is insane. I usually do it in post, but I was feeling it at the time. Luckily the guitar part was mainly just a guide track.

And thanks! I'm super impressed with the nord, I'm used to playing a real hammond, but apartment life doesn't allow for it.

Please for the love of god someone tell me where or how to get realistic drums on my tracks through software

EZdrummer 2 is an ok place to start, you can hook an electronic kit up to it via midi

I believe that it is mostly a matter of being in the right place at the right time. You won't get to be the next Burial living in some crap Mexican town, with no friends, releasing your tunes on soundcloud/bandcamp while you wait for the "greatness" of your tunes to take you far away. Get involved in a music scene from some major city, get to know people who you share interests with, throw parties where you play your stuff along with your mates and get people to notice that something big is happening.

Community, persistence and love for music. Picture related.

youtube.com/watch?v=q20LOvxqNnA

I was kinda going for this sound with it, but plus heavy ass organ

t. yuppie larper

>tryhard
Bro that's mothafuckinass racist dawg

hey everyone ive got my hook loaded. now its time to add and subtract

i linked the channels to mpc sliders, feels good guys.

now i can add an subtract instruments from the main hook

what is the best way to do this? im just going to feel the music. is there any preferred method of doing this?

btw anons, this is a god tier way of adding variation to your tracks if your just starting out with a hook

should i get this?

Gear is so fucking overrated

Yea I've done it as well, just make a big fat loop with lots of stuff and then just unmute/filter sweep/eq etc.. as you go.

Seems fine, I'd go with 3 octaves personally. But I can recommend getting an integrated keyboard/controller thing, I thought it would be smart to get a separate keyboard and controller (korg nanokontrol) but I almost never care enough to hook up the controller.

Not if you use it and don't overrate it. I'm not here saying how much better gear is. there is nothing overrated about it.

Great for the price. Don't expect it to be reliable live

'bout to pull the trigger on traktor mk2($599usd) I love the traktor software, and with the recent "stems" format support and ability for traktor "link" with ableton for endless possibilities this seems like my best option. Can someone with an s4 give me reassurance or possibly talk me into something better / possibly cheaper? This my first big purchase.

>not buying shitloads of synths but only using one or two per track and multitracking
Sad.

Today I learned most/some of the guys producing music I like use mostly software. Feels good man

for those of you who have bought kontakt/komplete would you say it was worth it? i wanna pull the trigger bc i wanna start making more orchestral sounding music now but i dont wanna get fucked if it's over priced garb

>for those of you who have bought kontakt/komplete would you say it was worth it?
it was for me. I bought a Mashine studio in a sale then about a month later complete was on sale and i used my cross grade from having complete select with my purchase of maschine to get full complete at half price.

That's how I do it.

Gear really is overrated though.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y8xdsZhfrcA
how do I create rhythms as interesting as this?

Thanks, i managed to fix it. But damn, such an effort to rebalance sounds after putting them through vocodex.

im guessing it's because burial is probably obsessed, in the fucking zone like he sees music as a religious experience and the other guys aren't like that

non westerners lack the anal retentiveness that's required, have dunning kruger and are usually content with shit, not lucid

I know I should be striving to have a full understanding of every little thing but what are the bare minimum aspects of music theory I should have a healthy understanding on to produce and develop as an artist

The "Dance music manual" book by Rick Snoman has a section on music theory.
That should be enough to get you started.

A link to it was posted a couple of threads ago (just CTRL+F for its name or zippyshare)

Honestly just knowing how scales and chords work.

Here:

Didn't Talking Heads used to listen to African drumming tapes?

thanks

do I need to read both editions of the music manual?

Music theory is the theory of why music sounds good

Like talking about how a chord change creates a feeling of tension or resolution, syncopation creates a playful feeling, a metrical disturbance can provide relief etc

It's no different to saying a dry sound feels claustrophobic and a reverbed one sounds spacious, people do music theory all the time it's just that the conventions for harmony are super fleshed out and agreed upon whereas the production side is less agreed upon but there is still a shared perception of certain production techniques being good

I wonder how music theory applies to ambient and noise music. Like, besides the obvious production aspects of it, what makes a noise track sound better than random noise.

Nope.
I included them both because I've only read the 2nd, but I imagine the 3rd to be just an updated version of it, so I suggest reading the newer one.

The other books are cool too if you want to geo a bit more in depth.

Is there even a point to having multiple physical synths anymore? Why not just go digital?

For coolness value.

Digital filters still aren't there yet imo. Like there are some I like, but they can't match really raw analog filters.

it's hazy as fuck but there is a commonality between people when they listen to it otherwise it would be pure emperor's new clothes

It's much harder to codify timbre heavy stuff, probably because the reason why people like it is some whacked out unwritten thing. Like this specific plate reverb conjures up 7:43pm or this bass amp is train stations

Is the focusrite scarlett 2i4 a good interface?

It's worth it even at full price if you're using the synths as well. Afaik most people into orchestral music use third party libraries, but to my ears session strings sound great. The factory library includes strings as well and has a different tone to it. There are some "orchestral" drums as well, haven't tried them. There's a lot in kontakt that's high quality though

Not really.