I tried learning MAX/MSP but I'm too retarded...

I tried learning MAX/MSP but I'm too retarded. why the fuck isn't there anywhere you can go and get a teacher for this stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

kadenze.com/courses/programming-max-structuring-interactive-software-for-digital-arts-i/info.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not that hard to learn the basics. But you kind of need to bring your own ideas. You can do whatever you want but no one's going to tell you how you should do it.

>clearly tries to emulate/imitate Autechre to some extent
>Autechre are on record as saying that the technical tools available to make music today are capable of producing such a nigh-infinite diversity of sounds, that it is absurd that any two artists' work should be remotely similar
>"don't try to sound like us kid we'll fookin glass u"

This guys right, you need to make it your own.

I'm taking this course right now OP; kadenze.com/courses/programming-max-structuring-interactive-software-for-digital-arts-i/info. Hope this helps.

i just can't figure out how to do shit I'm not trying to imitate ae

That's kinda bullshit, it's not really hard to incidentally make something that sounds reminiscent of someone else. Musical tropes exist because they work. It's worse to define yourself by exclusion and totally avoid what everyone else is doing.

this course looks like it's worth a shot thanks for sharing it

There's a ton of tutorials built into Max and plenty available online too. Git gud.

stick to ableton, logic, fl and others
max is literally useless if you aren't a pro sound artist looking for maximum control. people like arca do crazy shit with ableton live

Miller Puckette's book is good and there are some youtube channels for tutorial shit. Beyond that maybe read the Curtis Roads books for other ideas.

That's not really true. There are plenty of interesting ways to organize sound that aren't really possible in ordinary VSTs or DAWs. You don't even have to think of it as esoteric or expert mode or whatever.

Wrong, you don't have to be a pro or even be particularly "experimental" to make use of Max. Max is useful to do anything that a standard DAW won't do, whether it's making simple tools or building patches for entire tracks.

>people like arca do crazy shit with ableton live
lol

what's so funny about that?

Arca is fucking garbage

Honestly I think max and puredata are a bit retarded. It kind of gets you in the programming mindset but then when you want to do something simple like a for-loop or if/else shit you have to do insane silly workarounds. Also it's a big jumbled mess that becomes very difficult to manage very quickly.
So I would just get a nice low-level digital modular emulation (something like the nord modular editor) or learn actual programming and use supercollider or Csound.

He's really not. I'm not a fan in particular, but that's an idiotic thing to say. His music is exceedingly well put together. If that isn't immediately obvious to you, I think you're a bad listener and have shit taste.

The signal flow graphic programming thing works well for DSP and musical applications, but you're right, it doesn't work at all as a general purpose programming language. I dunno about Max but at least in PD you can do Lua scripts for that kind of thing. Reaktor or other modular software aren't really any better. Supercollider or whatever is okay, it's really just a matter of taste.

>ITT; People who don't understand that MAX means to an ends for genuine artists, not some click-and-fluke VST plugin for bedroom DJs

no I think plenty of people understand that

more like genuine autists lmfao

expr handles if statements, and you can use gen/codebox for for loops

I don't see why you need an explicit if statement at all. And I don't know about Max, but in PD you'd use until as a for or while loop.

yeah you don't need expr at all lol, i think they just put it there for people coming from a c background, some people just gotta see it there as one line