Where can I buy and sell precious metals?

Where can I buy and sell precious metals?

I was thinking about keeping most of my money in precious metals (gold, silver, ect..) But where can I buy them and where can I sell them once I need the money again?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101014083122.htm
news.softpedia.com/news/New-Alloy-to-Replace-Precious-Metals-in-Electronics-160909.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A commodities broker for actual metals.

Or maybe an ETF of precious metal companies

Don't know whats its like where you live, but my bank has commodity investment options. Have you checked out your banks website or talked to a financial advisor?

Isn't that just owning stuff on paper? I'd ideally prefer having the actual thing.

You want an actual bar of gold laying around in your house then, OP?

kek

More of a hobby than an investment strategy. First place to look is jewelry supply, they can provide ingots in various alloys.

www.jmbullion.com

Keep in mind you're going to get raped in mark up if you're buying and selling all the time.

Well, now we're talking.

Also, I know nothing about precious metals tbh where can I do research as to not get ripped off?

1. Buy from a reputable dealer.
2. Get a few supplies (jewelry scale, magnet, ruler / caliper) if you're paranoid and want to be able to catch at least some fakes.
3. Check prices at different places and compare to the spot price, also keeping the spread in mind.

OP go to a coin dealer/shop, most mid-sized and larger towns will have one. Ask to buy junk silver coins. These are no longer circulated US currency back when it dimes and above were 90% silver. You literally buy them at melt value and just stash them away. I have rolls of silver dimes filling two ammo cans tucked away in my basement. If you are a paranoid prepper they are supposed to be a great easily tradable commodity and if not just sit on them until the price of silver jumps up to $35+ an ounce and cash in. I did that a few years ago and made bank off of about 2 lbs of silver. I had something like 1000% profit from when I bought it.

(Same guy) I should mention this is a small time precious metal investment scheme. If you have the cash to go all out I recommend buying gold bullion and storing it in a bank vault or your house if you are really paranoid. Gold is only going to go up right now with the way world is going.

>1000% profit
Unless you were getting them at face value (probably not even then) or buying them on margin, no, you didn't.

Why would you do this? Hoarding gold is what doomsday prepares and retards do because they think the world is going to come to an end. If the economy collapses the gold will be worthless until society restabilizes. Take your money and invest in a mutual fund or something.

I heard it was illegal to do that. I could be wrong though depending on where op lives

In the U.S. at least, it is perfectly legal to own gold and put it wherever you like. It USED to be illegal to own gold, but that law went away decades ago after we left the gold standard.

Buy crypto, not a fucking shiny metal lmao.

Gold had value because people used it as a status symbol around their neck, now it's just a shiny rock that will soon drop to 0 once asteroid mining can bring tons and tons of it.

Gold has value because it is a rare metal that looks nice and has practical purposes in electronics. Modern computing doesn't exist without gold.

>implying crypto is better
At least gold has some minor value from use in electronics and dentistry, and asteroid mining (ayy lmao soon) would cost money to do.

The value of crypto is entirely speculative. It can drop to literal zero.

Not illegal without a license anymore - from '33 until '75 it was, though if you had the correct license, you could.
Now anyone with the money can own gold bullion without license or restriction.
OP - buy cheap junk 10-14k jewelry, and I mean cheap, and learn to acid smelt or fire smelt them down into raw gold. Acid smelting is the most sure way. There are videos on youtube that will show you how - be warned though - you need lots of fresh air and acid protective gear to do this, and you don't get a lot from any piece. You can harvest gold off computer parts too like processors if you have a cheap supply.
Eventually though it adds up, you just got to manage your costs for the acid, items to be smelted, and your time to see if it is actually worthwhile to do it.

Yes, I did. I've been buying since the early 90's. I first started buying in 1993 and bought 15 rolls of dimes that years for somewhere around $3.85 an ounce. I sold a large share of my junk silver in early 2012 when silver was at $31 an ounce. I did well, not quit my job well. But definitely, hell of a nice bonus well.

gold isnt like diamonds, which can be synthesized. it's value was originally propped up artificially sure, but it actually has insane industrial applications which make it valuable. Diamonds are an absolute scam, synthetics are literally the exact same thing as naturals, but obviously they are used in industry as well. But you cant synthesize gold.

Not quite 1000% increase, but close. However, you'll find with the rate of inflation, it brings it down to about 400-500% increase, still respectable.

That's around 700%. Certainly good, but calling it 1000% is quite an exaggeration.

>gold isnt like diamonds, which can be synthesized.
Technically it can, it just isn't cost effective.
>it's value was originally propped up artificially sure
Depending on what you mean by artificially, yes, it is. There are vast stores of gold just sitting around in vaults over the world (with quite a bit of that being owned by governments). Less than 20% of gold is actually used for industrial applications.

Fair enough, I didn't keep careful records of every purchase to work out the exact exchange. I also bought a lot of junk silver at flea markets and garage sales that I practically stole from the vendors. You'd be amazed how often tarnished silver spoons, knives and ladles end up in junk bins. With those pieces I am sure I was well over 1000% return, but you are right the coins were probably less.

>He thinks cash isn't the same
>He doesen't realize the whole economy is a ponzi

Neck yourself, granpa

>rare
Go check Mr goldstein's gold storage safe and tell me it's rare lmao
>electronics
It has been replaced by better, cheaper alternatives
>Computing needs gold
Just use google ffs, I'l have to take that as bait

>less than 20%
Well, I guess 2% is less than 20% so you aren't wrong at all

Are you dumb or trolling?

>He thinks cash isn't the same
Cash is backed up by the economy in which it's used, through the taxing authority of the government.
>He doesen't realize the whole economy is a ponzi
It isn't. Actual wealth is created. The closest you get to a ponzi is when you have a bubble.

The numbers that you'll find vary and categories get sliced up different ways, so I'm being generous.

>cash is backed
The point of crypto is that it doesen't need backing, because once gov feels threatned by it, it can't just declare holy war and kill inocents to shut it down.

>replies to actual facts with ad homine,
>questions my IQ

Also
>wealth is created

Yeah, by the guy who farms your rice and fishes the fish you eat, not by the guy who plays with the money

>The point of crypto is that it doesen't need backing
So the point of crypto is to be complete speculation? That's nice.

What you should say is that crypto has the potential to be backed by an economy of its own, or to supplant current currencies and be backed by the economy at large.
>once gov feels threatned by it
hahahahahaha
>it can't just declare holy war and kill inocents to shut it down.
In some technical sense, maybe not, but for all practical purposes, yes it could. There's just no need to.

>not by the guy who plays with the money
The guy who plays with the money helps in the process as well. If you want to farm rice or fish, you need money to buy supplies. Loans are a major source of that money.

You really don't understand crypto and how decentralized it is don't you.
There isn't a door you can knock down or a person you can jail to stop it, you would have to single handedly destroy every computer on earth.

I am tired of having the convo stating how crypto is the missing key in a fgifting/trading economy, cutting off completely middlemen and speculators, bringing the value of things to it's core

"the most important industrial use for new gold is in fabrication of corrosion-free electrical connectors in computers and other electrical devices."

What are these cheaper alternatives? I'm pretty sure you are just trolling or maybe you are a fucking retard.

>usury is good, keep taking those loans goy

Literally just needed to past the first results on google, you are a fucking inbread nigger.

Here, let me spoonfeed you

sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101014083122.htm

news.softpedia.com/news/New-Alloy-to-Replace-Precious-Metals-in-Electronics-160909.shtml

>You really don't understand crypto and how decentralized it is don't you.
Yes I do, hence the technical sense comment.

What you don't get is that if the government outlawed crypto, put up surveillance to catch people using crypto, and shut down any and all businesses that accepted crypto, the vast majority of people would not use crypto. This kills crypto without having to technically stop it.

>I am tired of having the convo stating how crypto is the missing key in a fgifting/trading economy, cutting off completely middlemen and speculators, bringing the value of things to it's core
It's good to be tired of speaking complete nonsense.

If by usury you just mean interest, yes, it is. The alternative to debt financing (which doesn't make sense without interest) is equity financing. Both are fine methods, but a lot of people don't want to give up part ownership.

>a simple opressive, unconstitutional revolution and jailing/kiling of innocents is all you need folks

Good stuff!

>7 years ago
>No name for the alloy or class of alloy
>Nothing in use on the consumer market.

>creates money off thin air
>expects more real money to come fill the hole of this fake money
>Fiat is better than crypto guise

Oh boy must be healthy for the economy!

This shit was written 7 years ago and we still use gold. Sending garbage article you dredged up from Google means fuck all. I can find articles that "prove the world is flat" Please kill yourself before some desperate bitch breeds with you.

May not be your care but saying it anyway
>putting money into precious metals in order to invest something that will have value after paper money no longer holds any.
>when the economy/civilization collapses people don't want precious metals
>when people are hunting dogs in the streets to eat, or debate eating one another out of desperation, the last thing on there mind is "I could go for some precious metals right about now"
>Food and water are the most valuable resources.

>unconstitutional
I'm not so sure about that, especially with what we've already seen get accepted as being constitutional.
>innocents
If crypto was illegal and they were using crypto, they wouldn't be innocent.
>Good stuff!
Yep. I hope you enjoyed this thought experiment showing how the government could completely fuck up crypto if they ever really wanted to.

Nanoparticles that get sprayed onto the components, you don't need to know what's in them jamal, that is the secret of the house

See

Show me sum pruf den masta

U wot? Seriously, what are you even saying here?

see

Gold is a store of value. If you're expecting the US dollar to collapse, you're better off holding gold. Then you'd need the economy to reboot to trade it for currency (which is worthless paper).

Yeah I'm sure they could even nuke the whole planet, we are not discussing what they COULD do

We are discussing what the PEOPLE can do, buying crypto is halfway through the revolution.

>If crypto was illegal and they were using crypto, they wouldn't be innocent.
>implying law equals moral
>implying you are suposed to be a good law abiding goy to be considered honorable
>implying I don't know you are baiting since the first reply
>implying you totally showed me pal!

If in Australia you can by direct from the mint

If currency is so worthless, why can I buy gold, food, and shelter with it?

Hey bro I've 10lbs of Mercury I'm trying to unload. Any place I can sell it?

>Yeah I'm sure they could even nuke the whole planet, we are not discussing what they COULD do
Except that's exactly what we are discussing.
>We are discussing what the PEOPLE can do, buying crypto is halfway through the revolution.
Okay Sup Forums, back to your box.
>implying law equals moral
No, law equals law. If you're guilty of an immoral law, you're still guilty.
>implying I don't know you are baiting since the first reply
Everything I've said is true, bait or not.

because what every retard in this thread who took intro to macroecon fails to see, is that the system was made by your rulers. It's very hard to translate the work you do into how much it is worth in terms of apples and oranges. Fiat was created to give you an ilusion.
Don't hate the players, hate the game

>If currency is so worthless, why can I buy gold, food, and shelter with it?

Try and comprehend this, fucktardo: paper is WORTHLESS. A Roman coin from 2000 years ago still has value because of what it's struck from. A piece of paper backed by the "full faith and trust of the Roman empire" is WORTHLESS. The US doesn't have a gold-backed currency. It's an insane fiat currency Ponzi scheme.

As I'd written, gold is a STORE of value.

You can buy groceries with paper money because that's how the (((bankers))) have it set up. It may as well be paper Monopoly money.

When was the last time the gold in Fort Knox was audited? Then there's the problem of tungsten slugs plated in gold -- that's one fuck of a scam. Only an ultrasound can easily detect a fake gold bar from a genuine one.

So you admit you are a cuck and will go down with the boat happily if your rulers demand it?

>No, law equals law. If you're guilty of an immoral law, you're still guilty.
I don't care about being innocent in a law prespective, it's the moral that matters to consider someone innocent. If you fail to see that, you don't qualify for this discussion.

>Everything I've said is true, bait or not.
Literally only the things that don't bring content to the discussion were true

>Okay Sup Forums, back to your box.
Pol is allways right

>that the system was made by your rulers
The origin of the system was made by people for convenience.
> It's very hard to translate the work you do into how much it is worth in terms of apples and oranges.
Exactly, and I might not want apples and oranges.
>Fiat was created to give you an ilusion.
Fiat has utility. As long as it has utility, it isn't worthless. It's value is very real.

>Fiat has utility. As long as it has utility, it isn't worthless. It's value is very real.
Its value is inversal to it's supply, and considering it's infinite, i'd say the value is 0.

>The origin of the system was made by people for convenience.
And who might you be to know who, where and when a select group of individuals decided to take over the world?

>paper is WORTHLESS
I dunno about you, but when I go to the store and pick up packs of paper, I have to pay for it.
>A piece of paper backed by the "full faith and trust of the Roman empire" is WORTHLESS
Because the Roman empire doesn't exist.
>The US doesn't have a gold-backed currency.
Correct.
>It's an insane fiat currency Ponzi scheme.
Incorrect.
>As I'd written, gold is a STORE of value.
Sure, lots of things are.
>You can buy groceries with paper money because that's how the (((bankers))) have it set up.
You can buy groceries with paper money because the grocer can turn around and buy other things with paper money.
>When was the last time the gold in Fort Knox was audited?
USD isn't backed by gold, let alone the gold in Fort Knox, so it doesn't matter.

>considering it's infinite
It isn't infinite. At any one time, there is a finite supply of fiat currency.
>And who might you be to know who, where and when a select group of individuals decided to take over the world?
Try learning about the history of economics and trade.

Jew

>the moral that matters to consider someone innocent
Morality according to who? You?
>Literally only the things that don't bring content to the discussion were true
Literally everything that I've said is true.
>Pol is allways right
ayy lmao

A ponzi would be an optimistic view of fiat, since it is even worse than a ponzi.

A ponzi rewards past contributors with the wealth of future ones.
Fiat doesen't reward anyone due to inflation, it's like a short term right to eat and keep living.

And oh boy don't you dare holding to that fiat for more than 100 years, that's usually the great filter period. (wars, political changes, brainwashing...)

>what is fractional reserve
>why isn't it used anymore
>Implying it isnt printed like newspapers

>History of economics
Any kind of written history falls under indoctrination in my book, and isn't suposed to be trusted with my life.

Fiat isn't an investment, nor is it meant to be. To say that it loses value over time from inflation is to totally miss the point of currency.

You know what you can buy with fiat? Actual investments.

>Morality according to who? You?
According to what every living species feels.
Pain is bad, food is good, pussy is better, and if you fuck with another man's land, you get your teeth kicked in, being "land" a metaphor for whatever property you want.

>Literally everything that I've said is true.
Your truth is the equivalent of a google search.
You do it when you are oblivious, take it as an half assed fact, and replace it for something better once in contact with an intelligent being.

>what is fractional reserve
You know that fractional reserve banking existed with gold too, right? You know that fractional reserve banking doesn't go infinite, right?
>why isn't it used anymore
It is used. What are you talking about?
>Implying it isnt printed like newspapers
Most of the money supply is created electronically through open market operations, but sure, paper money is indeed printed.
>Any kind of written history falls under indoctrination in my book, and isn't suposed to be trusted with my life.
You should consider going to see a trained psychiatrist.

>According to what every living species feels.
Not every living species "feels" anything, and among those that do, those species will often disagree.
>You do it when you are oblivious, take it as an half assed fact, and replace it for something better once in contact with an intelligent being.
I guess I'll find out if I do that when I meet an intelligent being.

>You know that fractional reserve banking existed with gold too, right? You know that fractional reserve banking doesn't go infinite, right?

Yeah, it's kind of hard printing gold you dumb peice of pajeet shit.
Fiat however, is infinite.

>It is used. What are you talking about?
Nope, no longer. If a run for the banks happened, shit would go down faster than a house of cards on a windy earthquake.

>You should consider going to see a trained psychiatrist.
I have. Gave me ritalin and charged 60 bucks. God bless the elites right?

Not every living species "feels" anything, and among those that do, those species will often disagree.
Every species feels the instinct, and the instinct is the ultimate truth, whether you like it or not. Even you feel the instinct sometimes, maybe when you see how alpha males take the woman you are into? Or when you feel hungry and there is no food? Maybe even when you get those so called (((depressions))) that they like to talk about so much and prescript anti-depressants massively? That is your instinct telling you to drop that shitty life.

Dont invest in silver, gold is the way to go. Gold is also always be needed for computers and phones as most have a tiny sliver of gold inside. one thing i would also suggest is to go to places like car boot sales, my mum recently bought a gold chain and silver chain for 50p also one more advice is to never sell at on street brokers, they will rip you off very bad. If you are going to invest in gold watch the value untill its low and treat it like stocks.

>Yeah, it's kind of hard printing gold you dumb peice of pajeet shit.
I don't think you understand how fractional reserve banking works. You don't need to print gold in order to use gold in a fractional reserve banking system.
>Fiat however, is infinite.
It isn't though. There is a finite amount of fiat at any point in time.
>Nope, no longer.
Yes, fractional reserve is used right now.
> If a run for the banks happened, shit would go down faster than a house of cards on a windy earthquake.
...which is what happens in a fractional reserve banking system.
>I have. Gave me ritalin and charged 60 bucks. God bless the elites right?
You might want to get your money back and try someone else.
>Every species feels the instinct
Wrong, because not every species feels. In addition, different species have different instincts.
>alpha males
ayy lmao

>It isn't though. There is a finite amount of fiat at any point in time.

That's because it's being printed as we speak, meaning it tends to infinite, just like that thing you might not have learned in grade school called limits.

>Yes, fractional reserve is used right now.
I mean no longer 9 to 1, but whatever they want to 1 ratio, which is just another way of spelling "we fucked you over"

>Wrong, because not every species feels. In addition, different species have different instincts.
Cherrypicking hard are we?

>ayy lmao
ayy lmao

>That's because it's being printed as we speak, meaning it tends to infinite
Sure, but it is not actually infinite. There is a finite supply as we speak.
>I mean no longer 9 to 1, but whatever they want to 1 ratio, which is just another way of spelling "we fucked you over"
"The fractional reserve system has a different fractional reserve, therefore we don't have a fractional reserve system."
This is how you sound.
>Cherrypicking hard are we?
Not at all. You keep dropping things right into my basket.
>ayy lmao
ayy lmao

>Sure, but it is not actually infinite. There is a finite supply as we speak.
And you are not actually retarded, there is an end to your retardation, maybe.According to you, the universe isn't infinite because we haven't traveled to infinity

>"The fractional reserve system has a different fractional reserve, therefore we don't have a fractional reserve system."
Implying there isn't a number where your shit argument loses value. A 99999/1 fraction means shit.

>Not at all. You keep dropping things right into my basket.
That's a big basket you have there, might aswell call it "the ground"

>And you are not actually retarded, there is an end to your retardation, maybe.
That doesn't even make sense.
>Implying there isn't a number where your shit argument loses value.
>factual statement
>shit argument
>A 99999/1 fraction means shit.
As long as there is a nonzero reserve requirement, you don't get an infinite.
>That's a big basket you have there
Well it does catch what you're dropping pretty easily. It's almost like you're trying for my basket or something. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

GTFO with your watermark, newfag

>That doesn't even make sense.
Precisely. Good to know you got the hint

>Well it does catch what you're dropping pretty easily. It's almost like you're trying for my basket or something. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
>Look mom, I think I'm winning this internet debate

>Good to know you got the hint
The hint that you don't make sense? I got that a while ago.
>Look mom, I think I'm winning this internet debate
I'm glad you agree, though I wouldn't really call it a debate so much as you saying wrong things and me correcting you.

>I'm glad you agree, though I wouldn't really call it a debate so much as you saying wrong things and me correcting you.
Yeah, you are the guy who interrupts everyone correcting the mistakes that don't impact the outcome of a conversation, thinking they are contributing with anything. Might aswell call you mr. autismo

>The hint that you don't make sense? I got that a while ago.
If you agreed with me, you would prove me wrong, since that would make you slightly less retarded.

>interrupts everyone
What?
>that don't impact the outcome of a conversation
The do impact it though.
>Might aswell call you mr. autismo
You can call me that if you like. I don't really care.
>If you agreed with me, you would prove me wrong
What?

>The do impact it though.
they don't
>What?
Sorry, was it too clever for you?

>they don't
They do.
>Sorry, was it too clever for you?
I think you and I might have different ideas on what clever means. If I agreed with you, I wouldn't prove you wrong, I'd be backing you up.