/classical/

Liszten Up Edition
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=33HEqqkprQk
youtube.com/watch?v=Fck3yS5DAUM
youtube.com/watch?v=lbPvzVNGmtM
youtube.com/watch?v=1yeBOWfnznU
youtube.com/watch?v=-e0MhLNc7pQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lACoAxJkfO8
youtube.com/watch?v=LfQmitWzuTM
opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/rotello1.html
opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/rotello2.html
opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/rotello3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=QeH_Nu6J0yU
youtube.com/watch?v=sWQfom7E2Z8
youtube.com/watch?v=GDEV3UzzpyI
musikchan.com/music/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=xUykwUSOtIo&index=5&list=PLhzt9CbrJ3CZq7Jl7nx2WtKDZS1a0YBd8
youtube.com/watch?v=FZXDBUMPeRg
youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_hq7HkOug
youtube.com/watch?v=r16zhjoSsw4
youtube.com/watch?v=hWTe3C_RoDo&index=12&list=LLK7Uz4f5qvOkdQcYyoDzuCw
youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM
youtube.com/watch?v=hdG-e_Joc8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=PYI09PMNazw
youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-tMlz_Wvg
youtube.com/watch?v=BOUs6er51bI
youtube.com/watch?v=k1WSJWpVvig
youtube.com/watch?v=Bytvxk97kzY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=33HEqqkprQk
Sylvain Blassel, Beethoven sonata 32, op 111 #2

>tfw I may die before he records The Art of Fugue
help me cope with this feel

>quickly download some Stravinsky before going on vacation
>recordings turn out to be total obscurities and now I'm stuck with them
Who the fuck is Vladimir Fedoseyev? Why is he conducting "The Big Symphony Orchestra of Central Television and All-Union Radio"? The label itself - Melodiya - sounds shady.

I've never listened to Petrushka or Firebird, should I try them anyway or...?

best recording of beety's 5th??

I enjoy Kleiber, but I'm not a classical autist so my opinion is invalid

just listen to them and if you don't like how it sounds just replace them when you get back

Colin Mcphee

youtube.com/watch?v=Fck3yS5DAUM

youtube.com/watch?v=lbPvzVNGmtM
I've just realized there's hundreds of piano concertos. I knew there were a shit ton, but still. I hadn't really realized it until I stumbled into this section of youtube and recognized no names.

There's probably tens of thousands desu senpai

Whats up classical people

Tonight it's all about Rossini's Otello starring Chris Merritt in semi blackface, Rocky Blake and June Anderson. As a Rossinifag I infinitely prefer it to Verdi's version due to the melodies.

youtube.com/watch?v=1yeBOWfnznU

My favorite big tunes for your skipping around pleasure

18:40 "Ah sì, per voi già sento"
Dope horn solo after 36:00 or so
1:22:30 to 1:30:00 - "Che ascolto" incredibly punishing and exciting tenor aria
2:27:57 Desdemona's willow song. The text describes the wind carrying away the words, and to represent that, after the verse the clarinet and then flute pick up the melody and carry it off

What do y'all niggaz think about ma homies Keith and Michala?
BWV 1030
youtube.com/watch?v=-e0MhLNc7pQ

youtube.com/watch?v=lACoAxJkfO8
this is pretty nice desu

youtube.com/watch?v=LfQmitWzuTM

more like - he may die before he records The Art of Fugue

This video has no subtitles, dude. I can't page through my Italian-English dictionary nearly that fast

It's the tunes not the text that make it good

I agree, just wish I didn't have to watch the entire box set of PBS's Lidia's Cooking to understand what they're saying.

Well if you really must know the words, you can take this untranslated italian libretto and filter the parts you want thru google translate or something
opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/rotello1.html
opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/rotello2.html
opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/rotello3.html

You're too kind, user.

My pleasure.... anyway intelligible or not the score is a masterpiece of bel canto and the cast in that video is amazing. There are only a handful of tenors today who could compete on that level, here is the 'ah vieni, nel tuo sangue' duet from act 2 as sung by Lawrence Brownlee and Javier Camarena last year as what amounts to a high C competition youtube.com/watch?v=QeH_Nu6J0yU

Yeah, I'm into the dope horn solo and there were some crazy vocal acrobatics/ornamentations going on in the duet before it

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=sWQfom7E2Z8

Modern classical guitar

youtube.com/watch?v=GDEV3UzzpyI

hey guys i'm looking for a really specific piece of music, i dont know the name of it though.

I kind starts off like Non, je ne regrette rien by edit piaf. Then eventually kinda does a Ghost House from super mario world thing later.

i know its not a lot to go on but if anything seems familiar to that then any help would be cool.

it's better when orchestrated

Once upon a time Sup Forums was a small board with a close knit group of music fans up for a laugh, decent discussion and exploration together. As time passed, traffic increased, more people with different tastes arrived and arguments ensued to the point discussion was no longer worth attempting and the board became nothing more than a blog for the latest hype trends.

Someone, somewhere started a board called Musikchan. It didn't really take off because people didn't want to leave Sup Forums for odd reasons and that no one posted there, not realising if they posted, so would others.

The board still exists, threads last months and months. Theres no waifutards, no memerap, no shills, kids, Fantano drones and no captcha.

A few of us want to get it back to life with real music fans who value quality over quantity. Threads that last weeks and you can have mature conversations. A place for classical, jazz, experimental, trad folk and no FotM shit, come join us make a good discussion board.

musikchan.com/music/index.html

Toscanini's live broadcast on VE Day. Not the best quality unfortunately, but the tempo and energy will blow your mind, no other 5th sounds like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=xUykwUSOtIo&index=5&list=PLhzt9CbrJ3CZq7Jl7nx2WtKDZS1a0YBd8

Was Wozzeck the last good opera?

No, but it's the best opera.

Joplin
youtube.com/watch?v=FZXDBUMPeRg

What's the best piano sonata of all time?

one of the late schubert ones

autism

I doubt he dies before I commit suicide

XXXtemptation

What's some good things with reed flutes? Thinking something like dance of the reed flutes.

I have a problem with this guy's music... it's just so damned fast. Everything happens fast, over and over again. And it always sounds like the season he was born in: spring. Every time.

Everything is perfect and beautiful but I can't take it. Too fast for me. Like-damn it, Johann, give us mortals a fucking break.

That being said, fuck Bach.

The fact that there are no quality recordings of Toscanini kills me

Every recording I've listened to is an incredible interpretation marred by fuzzy details

Trying to follow his counterpoint is like playing 4D chess

Bixio
youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_hq7HkOug

Beethoven

youtube.com/watch?v=r16zhjoSsw4

Mozart 8, Beethoven 29 and 21 objectively

he said "best"

St. Francois d'Assise buddy.

Shut up you simpering moron.

Petzold.

Norgård - Nuit des Hommes
Chin - Alice in Wonderland
Golijov - Ainadamar
Adams - Dr Atomic
Adès - The Mask of Orpheus
Birtwistle - The Minotaur
Henze - The Young Lord
Zimmermann - Die Soldaten
Shostakovich - Lady Machbeth
Ruders - Kafka's Trial
Donatoni - Atem

bump

at least bump with some music

youtube.com/watch?v=hWTe3C_RoDo&index=12&list=LLK7Uz4f5qvOkdQcYyoDzuCw

you can remove everything after the &index and the link will still work, you know

Thanks for letting me know, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM

youtube.com/watch?v=hdG-e_Joc8Q
Opinion on game and movie soundtracks?

Depends. Most are generic and mediocre, the "original" ones tend only to have superficial differences from the rest. The ideal soundtrack is part of a complete hybrid artform wherein each medium is used in a complementary fashion to create a kind of "gesamtkunstwerk", but I have yet to find any such movie or game.

it's not different from any late baroque counterpoint. In fact he was more sober and plain than some French masters

triggered

are there any soundtracks that are sufficient to stand on their own, separate from their coupled medium? I'm not sure there are, besides a couple of pieces.
youtube.com/watch?v=PYI09PMNazw

In general I think it is the case that soundtracks out of context stand or fall dependent on the audience's familiarity with the original context. If you've played through Final Fantasy VI a dozen times and you hear "Dancing Mad" somewhere, you're going to have a very strong impression of the climactic battle from that game running through your mind for the duration of the piece and likely for a considerable time after it has stopped playing. The music has acted as a sort of key, and the sentimental value of the memory it has unlocked is automatically projected onto the music itself. But if you never played that game, if you never saw anyone else play it, if you didn't even know what it was, what would you think about that piece? My guess is you'd think it was a lot of simple repeated phrases that goes on for entirely too long.

The Ecstasy of Gold is a very interesting case, because it is the only piece of soundtrack music I can think of which is used in other films, TV shows, commercials etc. for purposes other than homage or parody. Not even the John Williams themes from Star Wars or Indiana Jones can claim that kind of transcendence of their source material. I think this one piece by Morricone has to some degree become its own entity in popular culture.

I'm a sucker for the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack. Also, William Walton's score for Henry V and Jerome Moross's for The Big Country.

pleb

Brianfag here.

The complete symphonic cycle of the 32 symphonies of Havergal Brian will be complete in Youtube (Pic related as a prove). I had problems with Hyperion recordings because i uploaded his version of the symphony No.3, they threatened with a strike which would delete all my videos. So i decided to put a radio recording: less quality but without copyright. I'm a bit dissappointed with the symphonies No.14 and 26, specially the 26, a bad quality recording performed without much spirit.

That's all for now, maybe i will publish everything of him: piano music, orchestral works and vocal ones.

Do you anons know any pieces that have those 'otherworldly/exotic' vibes, sort of like you get from Rimsky-Korsakov (Serbian Themes, Scherezade, etc)?

Alan Hovhaness

That's a new name, thank you

He wrote hundreds of pieces too. For my taste it's too bad that they all pretty much sound exactly the same, but at least he was consistent.

Yeah he does repeat himself, but he gets a pretty interesting romantic sound going. This is my favorite piece of his, it makes me think of some sort of exotic and desolate fantasy landscape
youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-tMlz_Wvg

So which Paganini Variations/Rhapsody is the best/your favourite?

definitely in the first few decades of film

walton, korngold, steiner to name the most influential

this

youtube.com/watch?v=BOUs6er51bI
This piece from Conan the Barbarian isn't half bad

deux arabesques and the harp
two beautiful things put together

like who?

Do you have any obscure composers that you like, /classical/?

youtube.com/watch?v=k1WSJWpVvig

youtube.com/watch?v=Bytvxk97kzY

This is pretty fucking great

I really like Alfred Brendel.