Is Joanna Newsom the greatest living composer after Brian Wilson an a couple others?

Is Joanna Newsom the greatest living composer after Brian Wilson an a couple others?

>an a couple others?
name them

Steve Reich, Jeff Mangum, Philip Glass, Robert Fripp, there are a bunch more but they slip my mind

Phil Elverum

Don't forget this guy. He is an absolute master of his medium. He probably has more recognizable pieces to the average person than everyone else so far mentioned put together.

I don't even think she composed the instrumentals on ys

I would trade all the money in my 401k just to see her ass, by god its so beautiful -- sculpted by the gods.

Define "composers"

Also can't forget this guy, even though their music is attached to other media doesn't detract from the the fact that these guys are true artists who have made a worldwide impact with their music.

OP thinks that anyone who has written a song and knows what a semiquaver is is a "composer"

Yes, I'd say so

Someone who writes music is a composer

You are probably right but I am biased against him because of the medium that his works appear in

she sounds like a cartoon grandma
fucking bitch

Say that to Andy's face and see what happens punk

andy looks more feminine than joanna lol

That ass

Julia Holter

poser general

Why not

Is Garth Brooks a composer? He writes most of his own songs. Is Paul McCartney? Eminem? Gucci Mane? Where is the line drawn?

YOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Name one band

What word would you have used for "someone who writes music"? Musician just implies they play music but not always someone who writes it.

I don't know... how about "writer"? "Songwriter"? "Composer" implies that they are tightly controlling and writing every note for every instrument in the piece. Whereas a songwriter typically writes melody and lyrics, and probably harmony but leaves the rest up to the interpretation of the musicians performing the piece.

BBBRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPssfflllPPPFFTTTtt
*sniff* mmm yes.... what a fragrance

Composer is still the correct term. Plus she performs the piece as you said.

I'm certainly not claiming that she isn't a composer. I don't know enough about her music to make that assertion. But in the commonly accepted sense of the word, one thinks of a composer as one who writes sheet music for a group of other musicians to play more or less exactly what he/she wrote. Of course, with modern tech these definitions are (rightly) getting blurred. I ask honestly, where is the line drawn? Also I will check out her shit.

Thats just semantics, its the same case with any word. The point is just to get the message across clear. Its mostly up to the person who uses the word to make the guess of where the line is drawn. I personally would say anyone who writes down music be it tabs or some piano roll on a DAW can be called a composer even if its more traditional associated with pen and paper.

Maybe it's more of an issue of whether it's good enough that a full symphony orchestra and conductor could be convinced that it's good enough to put in the hundreds of man-hours necessary to perform it competently.

god I want to get my nose between those cheeks and just sniff sniff SNIFF!

So like professionally? That makes sense I guess, like a soundcloud artist who just does it on his spare time might not be considered a professional and thus not a "composer". Depends on if you are going for a strict definition or loose one.

Yes, I'm not trying to be haughty or pretentious, but I think that's where I draw the line. I didn't even know my own opinion on this until this thread, I just had a nebulous sense of division between "songwriter" and "composer". But that's about the closest to a satisfying definition that I can come up with.

Glad we could clear that up

she's a good composer but her music boring

>Jeff Mangum

I'm not that impressed with Newsom, desu

>Fagen & Becker
>Toussaint
>McCoy Tyner
>Herbie Hancock
>Steveland Morris
>John McClaughlin
>Eno
>Arvo Part
>Mehldau
hell even Glasper is more impressive than Joanna.

rotten pine wood ass smelling bitch

How the fuck is she the best living composure when her medium is folk?

>neo-Sup Forums

all of her songs sound the same

>band