Is it true that if you're not a famous musician by age 30 you never will be?

Is it true that if you're not a famous musician by age 30 you never will be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8
youtu.be/8EcmOBktE1U
youtu.be/YcHrxb7XV1Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Danny Carey was 32 when Undertow came out. So...no.

/thread

Wayne coyne

James Murphy

Those are called exceptions - the ones that most people will never be.

Obvious industry plant

Leonard Cohen

Most people will never be famous musicians anyway though

Inb4 huh duh James Murphy and Leonard Cohen
Cohen was a published author and Murphy was a sound engineer and DJ throughout their 20s

Fuck James Murphy is 47. I thought he was in his early 40.

>Sound of Silver was ten years ago

Murphy was famous as a DJ?

Danny Carey
El P
Killer Mike
Charles Mingus
Art Blakey
Wayne Coyne
James Murphy
Leonard Cohen

>Most people will never be famous musicians anyway though

This. Plus most people give up on their dreams and settle for an average wife, average job, average drinking buddies, etc.

With the current state of the industry though a band like Tool would never get famous, at least on an arena level, today. They'd probably only ever get as big as Mastodon. There just isn't as much promotion and most people are too lazy to find new music themselves.

I feel old man. He has the same age as Beck and PJ Harvey, and I always saw them as older than James Murphy. I never knew He was 34 when LCD debut was released.... damn.

Mc ride is 40

Those two guys from Sleaford Mods

People started paying attention to Daniel Lopatin after he turned 30

Dio didn't get famous until he was almost 40

Danny Brown is 35 i think, and he only started blowing up around 2011-2012

Both Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins didn't make it big until their mid-30s

I wanted to be a musician since childhood, made my own stuff, tried to get into bands..Just didn't practice enough to be good enough to make music. Regret it now though.

El-P was like 19 when he started with co-flo and killer mike's been around for over a decade. El-p pretty much dominated the underground hip hop scene of the late 90s/early 00s

Actually it’s easier than ever to get millions of fans and Google has leveled the playing field as far as promotion goes. You can run AdWords campaigns as easily as telling them how much you want to spend per day and who you want to target.
You have the same tools as multimillion dollar pop-star factories, just less money to pay others to do the work for you

Idk man. DG is my favorite band, but I dont think ride would have gotten to where he is now if it wasn't for Zach's connections and knowledge of the industry. He's a legend in every sense of the word, but if he's as misanthropic and withdrawn as he lets on, I dont think he would be playing the venues DG's playing now. Just my opinion though.

How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

27, I was in guitar and piano lessons growing up. Just didn't take them seriously. I did fuck around with the drums and recording techniques and shit too.

You're thinking of not being a virgin

Youre still pretty young man. You could still do something.

That's how DFA Records started; Murphy DJ'd throughout the 90s as Death From Above

it's so context sensitive that examples don't really matter. Fact is, people blow up at any age. If you really try hard and consistently produce content, network with people, perform live, and study your craft, it will be inevitable before you can at least make a living off art.

I'm not sure really, with everything going on right now I don't have the time or money to get back into lessons.

Dude El-p was making waves since like 97

this is what happens to a lot of people and failed musicians

danny brown has been doing/releasing music since at least 2003, which would have made him 22-23 when he started

he wasnt famous till XXX, literally named that cause he was 30 when he made it

Yes.

Neil Young

he was in Buffalo Springfield when he was 20

youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8

Most people will never be famous musicians anyway. It's kind of retarded to point out that those are exceptions when famous people are already exceptions.

Death Grips are almost forty

probably

Steven Wilson released his first album on Major label when he was 34

Alex Kapranos was 32 when first Franz Ferdinand album came out

I mean "famous" I don't know, but "good" is something you can still totally be if you work it the right way

When Flogging Molly released their first album the singer was 40

Holy shit really? Damn

Jarvis Cocker formed Pulp in late 70s but didn;t get famous until 1994 when he was 30

If you aren't something before your 30s then your life might as well be over already.
This doesn't apply just to music.

If you couldn't make it in your prime, when you were young and handsome and your brain worked the fastest, how could you ever make it when you are old, withered and ugly?

what about Louis CK?

He's stuck as Louis CK.

you're thinking of the major label era where labels would tell you how to fucking dress and to fire a bandmate because his eye color didn't match the rest of the band, so of course they were ageist to boot

It takes 4-5 years to get pro, 2-3 years if you do insane hermit woodshedding. People tend to get a job and a family by the age of 30 which means they can't do that. If you're a loser at the age of 30 then you're good to go. Do you think if you make good music I'm going to say "I would like it but sorry this guy... the age at which he released his first album was not the same as BEATles sorry..."

Colonel Sanders was, like, 65 when he founded KFC?

is 36

And already rich beforehand?

Leonard Cohen is an awful example

Why do people use Thom's pictures as thread pics so often?

but for the last 10 years he been so FUCKING stressed

Huh? He released first album at age of 34

Because he's a faggot

That's not a valid point. I'm obviously talking only about people over the age of 30 who are musicians.

Because he looks kinda goofy.

Literally who?

I understand.

It was a different time. Also he's been publishing poetry since age 22.

Suicide released their first album when Alan Vega was 39

I wanna say Lil ugly mane was in his early thirties when mista thug isolation came out

Danny brown

It makes me feel really uneasy knowing that Win Butler was my current age when he made Funeral.

william basinski

27 aint that old if you still want it tho you gotta be willing to put the work in tho to get to where you want to be.

comedian not a music or art guy

Chuck Berry became truly famous at 31

youtu.be/8EcmOBktE1U
can be mildly YouTube famous

crab in the bucket yo

>Buddy Holly died at 22
>You're 23 and can barely scratch a few open chords on guitar

youtu.be/YcHrxb7XV1Q

these days if you don't make it by 16 or 17 give up coldchowder yo its the same with skateboarding

if can't make it by a certain age then remember

C O L D C H O W D E R

holy shit, what a bullshit
some of the most talented composers became famous in their late 30s or 40s. And some of them never were famous. And lived in horrible conditions of the pre-20th century world. But they persevered anyway. That's what was called "dedication".

Now some kids in their early 20s living in a really nice and friendly environment of first world countries in the 21st century are complaining that they can't partake in pop culture, which is nonsense since even a handicapped monkey can have its 15 minutes of fame and its committed audience today, if it knows how to wave its arms and shout.