Why does metal age so poorly? Is it the worst genre when it comes to this...

Why does metal age so poorly? Is it the worst genre when it comes to this? Any album more than 10 years old sounds like trash

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yzh7nLtVXSw
youtube.com/watch?v=A1-IezRLC2g
youtube.com/watch?v=HwRBnX5ZVs0
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vwXzD3N9I
youtube.com/watch?v=0PgT9ZkQcPY
youtube.com/watch?v=5k-DsrsmaGE
youtube.com/watch?v=_uBXmb1TVxk
youtube.com/watch?v=NDZV-wWg_m0
youtube.com/watch?v=bK95lWHl7js
youtube.com/watch?v=lRt54xjIq7w
youtube.com/watch?v=8tv-e9DJqK4
youtube.com/watch?v=Baxure_bifs
youtube.com/watch?v=DPyOhP1GTRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU
youtube.com/watch?v=0qtWlvu1YoA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because metal fucking sucks

All metal albums sounds like trash

Cowboys From Hell still sounds good.

>Any album more than 10 years old sounds like thrash

t.

I actually find that its the other way around. Most metal albums released on major labels nowadays sound like shit.

80s metal is the best kind of metal and it dosen't age

because the genre doesn't progress

Don Caballero 2 still sounds fresh.

>the genre doesn't progress
Metal is the only genre of rock that keeps progressing

Metallica only really "age like shit" because finding out other thrash metal bands shows how bland they are, especially Lars's crappy drumming and Kirk's unimaginative solos. Only their riffs have any lasting value.

>Metal is the only genre of rock that keeps progressing
Nah, if you look in the right places you'll find other genres of rock that are keeping things fresh.

>filename
[audible chuckling]

Necro-production goes hand-in-hand with metal and punk. Aggressive music should sound rough around the edges, making a "well-produced" metal album is like trying to write a horror story that's child-friendly.

Maybe for bedroom black metal band #77852 but I like to actually be able to hear and discern the notes being played by each instrument.

>decorating his room
more proof he's a fag

>but I like to actually be able to hear and discern the notes being played by each instrument.
Plenty of black metal bands certainly love to sacrifice audibility for the sake of making sure their music is as lo-fi and chaotic sounding as possible, but the majority are still discernible assuming your ears aren't complete shit. Bass is usually an afterthought in the production of most metal albums made since the 90s, but following what the guitars and drums are doing in an extreme metal song (assuming this is the 80s/90s before pro-tools and digital production ruined everything) shouldn't be a problem at all. If you have trouble following whats happening in any of these songs because you find the production to be too "muddy" then its moreso a problem with your ears than the music itself.
youtube.com/watch?v=Yzh7nLtVXSw
youtube.com/watch?v=A1-IezRLC2g
youtube.com/watch?v=HwRBnX5ZVs0
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vwXzD3N9I
youtube.com/watch?v=0PgT9ZkQcPY

Put on any "classic" metal album, and you can instantly tell it's old as shit, produced terribly, and sounds like teenagers trying to be creepy edgelords

>that album
>keeping things fresh
It's just gimmicky crap. Metal has that as well. But we aren't citing this stupid shit when we say metal keeps it fresh. In terms of the concept of rock riffing it's the only one that tries different things particularly with the wave of really technical bands that have been the rage for like the past ten years.

Secret Chiefs 3 play otherwise standard stuff in rock music but with timbres that sound different on the surface. That's it.

Like every genre of music, it really depends on the individual artists. A lot of traditional metal that didn't have a unique style like Black Sabbath did was outdone by power metal that came out later. A lot of thrash metal that tried to go for a more fast intense vicious style didn't age as well as the less fast Metallica because they got outdone by death metal. Also a controversial opinion from me, but I don't think Gorguts has aged that well either because their music sacrificed death metal's intensity for more esoteric riffing but now there are bands who have even more esoteric riffing than they do while still having the intensity of death metal. Of course, a lot of pop trend stuff like glam and melodic metalcore/deathcore haven't aged well either due to how annoyingly formulaic they were.

But otherwise I think metal ages better than most genres of music because there's always both a more musically interesting aspect due to constantly changing structures based on riffs and there's always high intensity as well. This is in contrast to say...alternative/indie rock plus some of the post punk it was inspired by that didn't have much going for it bar its surface aesthetic due to overly simplistic songwriting, or the entire hard rock genre that relied too much on the samey tropes causing ubiquity, or hip hop whose rawer production works against the style instead of for it like metal, or the early house/techno releases that just don't have grooves as creative as the todays stuff.

>produced terribly, and sounds like teenagers trying to be creepy edgelords
Literally no different from a ton of metal produced now though.

Lawls nice bait faggot

>Bass is usually an afterthought in the production of most metal albums made since the 90s
This is blatantly false, considering that the big riff guitar tone would be nowhere near as heavy nor abrasive without it. People who think bass is useless in metal really just need to try to record music for once in their life.

At least the production is up to date, so it's listenable temporarily
Not b8 m8. Link a track made before 2005 that doesn't fit this description

Ok retard

I swear metal retards will defend a dogshit if it screeches at them and plays music faster than the average pop star.

If by listenable production you mean sterile garbage like this
youtube.com/watch?v=5k-DsrsmaGE
youtube.com/watch?v=_uBXmb1TVxk
youtube.com/watch?v=NDZV-wWg_m0
youtube.com/watch?v=bK95lWHl7js
youtube.com/watch?v=lRt54xjIq7w
Then no I couldn't really name any that come before 2005, but if you honestly think this sounds too dated to be listenable then you need to come to terms with the fact that there is something physically wrong with your ears whether it be a birth defect or later day accident in life.
youtube.com/watch?v=8tv-e9DJqK4

This whole album from 1989 has amazing production:

youtube.com/watch?v=Baxure_bifs

The vocals are mixed like shit in that Judas Priest song and his vocal inflection sounds dated to begin with
Still edgelord, but I agree, great production

>The vocals are mixed like shit
You know that in most metal the vocals aren't supposed to be dominantly on the top like in all other genres of music, right? There's nothing wrong with it.
>and his vocal inflection sounds dated to begin with
How? He constantly adds then subtly subtracts what's like this minor growling aspect to his voice throughout the track. That's still cool as shit.

>edgelord
Oh, I am just talking to some memeing shit who just spouts buzzwords.

Depends on the metal though. Just like with every other genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=DPyOhP1GTRQ

*metal album

Dunkelheit is kino

I'll admit, this thread has sort of become a meme. But I genuinely have been trying to get into metal because so many people live and die by it, but all I'm saying is that the older stuff sounds REALLY old and prevents me from liking it. Like if you put on Sgt. Peppers for the first time in 2017, it'll sound relatively fresh, or at least fresh enough where you're not wincing. On the other hand, old metal records, which are much newer than Sgt. Peppers, sound like they have little relevancy today, like they couldn't fit in at all. Maybe it's just because I'm not accustomed to the genre, but it bothers me. And I'll agree, it's often the fault of the vocals, and this might be because they were still developing techniques, but it sounds super try-hard and just bad. Just my two cents

Do you realize how vague the shit you're saying sounds? How am I even supposed to address these points? What is the scientific basis for an album sounding "fresh"?

Really just sounds like you are having a hard time adjusting to the genre's surface aesthetic because there's nothing you have really particularly specified except that and the vocals. I am pretty sure everyone here has had this problem to an extent, too, particularly with the more raw/extreme side of the genre. It just does things very differently from other music. The vocals are often theatrical and overthetop. Musically the main focus is on the riffs. Production wise, the best course for the music is something far more raw as that enables the music to have a more abrasive yet visceral sound. It's not like the genre doesn't have remastered releases; many albums are released with more "hip and modern" production styles only for a listener to realize that so much of the music's charm and aggression gets lost in the process.

>music
>scientific basis
If it still sounds good on your earholes it's still fresh. You don't need science to tell you if you enjoy something or not. Unless you're autistic or something.

Because metal comes from young aggression. You think Metallica, Kreator, or Slayer are as aggressive now as they were during their teenage years?

>scientific basis

Slayer is still pretty aggressive.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I'm trying to say
>The vocals are often theatrical and overthetop
This is exactly what I mean
>Musically the main focus is on the riffs
This is helpful to know

I'm not dismissing the genre. I like a lot of metal but I know I have shit taste in it compared to the main genres I listen to because the albums I like are the ones that Sup Forums slaughters daily (Sunbather and instrumental shit by Periphery). I know these probably aren't the best albums to pin a genre on so I've been trying to get into the classics, but, as I've said, to me they sound more dated than they should. I guess I'll just give it some more time to click

If you're trying to say metal ages badly then why do you choose the band who's stuff actually aged fine

Periphery is one of those chugchug bands right? I don't know, try something like Watchtower or Heathen, older rhythmically complex metal like that.

Metal doesn't age poorly numale faggot the old metal is generally considered the best

Yeah they are the ones that helped bring into popularity again. I swear, "djent" is the dubstep of metal.

Judas Priest's Painkiller sounds like it could have been released last week.
youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU

youtube.com/watch?v=0qtWlvu1YoA

try this, very cleanly produced 90s death metal that should get you more into the genre so you can appreciate the more dirty stuff

Oh god, you just had to start with the most overly produced stuff in the genre? I would recommend easing into it with more of those mainstream type bands or those with more pristine production styles. Metallica's remasters are easy as shit to find, and starting with Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets would be good. Would probably recommend the later remasters for you with that.

If you do like Sunbather's production style, perhaps check out other Deathwish records artists? Converge's albums post-Jane Doe and that other big band from them (I think they are called Oathbreaker) are both also good options because they bring the aggression and chaos of the good stuff while having a relatively pristine production style.

The popular Gothenburg guys of melodic death metal all have a style that's not as blunt as death metal but also have a more clean production style. In Flames' The Jester Race. Dark Tranquility's The Gallery. At The Gates' Slaughter Of The Souls. Check those out.

One last one I would suggest is maybe Opeth because since their sound incorporates bits and pieces from other genres they have an easy to digest yet also pretty layered production style. Blackwater Park would be a good starting point.

To some extent I am pretty sure every metal fan itt can actually probably relate to your problem with the genre. I myself had it 10 years ago when I got into it.