Joining the Army, what should I know before BT?

Joining the Army, what should I know before BT?

Other urls found in this thread:

navygirl.org/RatingCards.htm
cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/rating_info_cards/ic.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There is a regulation over every little minor thing that people get so anal about and will call you out any change they get.

Cant wait to finish my contract and get out.

What's your job?

And will they DQ me if I've been busted with marijuana in the past?

It's not anything grunt, ill tell you that. I feel bad for those guys, they endure the suck the most.

Lol no. Theyll do anything to get you in.

What are the least shirty jobs? I qualify for almost any.

What you really want to ask is "What are the least shitty units?"

Depending where you get put depends on the quality of your life.

If I were you, I would join married. I am forced to lose $300 on the DFAC every month even though I rarely use it. Being married, you get to keep that money. Plus you get paid BAH which is housing allowance, basically an additional paycheck. You can essentially make over 60k being married or 20k being single.

Join the Marines fag.
>90 on my asvab
>MOS is cook.
Yep. I like it that way.

1. You can still change your contract to become a Marine
2. Once you go Marines go grunt or go home

deadass when I went to meps I met a kid who got a 91 on his asvab and went Navy Chef. that kid was/is the biggest fucking meme

Are you one of those low asvab scoring hicks "I WUNNA SERV MAH CUNTRY"?

74D in the reserves here. Why reserves? Cause fuck sitting around in garrison doing nothing. I'll chill at home and do my thing, further education and career until they actually need me to deploy. Benefits are nearly the same. I have a $20,000 student loan repayment plan, tuition assistance can stack on top as well, however you will sign away your gi bill if you choose slrp (worth in my opinion). I scored an 86 on my asvab so why 74D? Cause they never need us. I go in once a month and sleep in the inventory cages.

Cont.

Fuck your country. Do it for yourself. Be smart and reap the benefits the military has to offer. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of our military and it's power. Couldn't give a shit less about America and it's politics though.

Just know when shit hits the fan, you're on the winning team.

Do not get anything that has a long AIT. I know a few people in the medical field that are still in AIT after failing and in the process of getting reclassed. They've been there for over 9 months just waiting to get their orders to their new AIT.

Know, everything is slow and papers take forever to get. If you get stuck in AIT longer than it should be, it is hell.

If you go guard or reserves, expect to get frequently deployed. A lot more than active. Plus all the drills on the weekends, fuck that shit, might as well not even join.

The only people who benefit from the military are the guys with spouses and 5 kids which the military will cover their medical expenses and dental.
If you're a single guy, I would recommend only joining for a trade skill you want to do on the outside, otherwise you're just wasting your time doing nothing but bullshit for 80% of your day to day schedule.

Do not accept the bonuses they give you. They'll take 20% of every check.

Bonuses are a lie. If it has a bonus, that means that job is under-strengthed for bad reasons. If it is a good job that the army cannot retain people in it because it pays better on the outside, they will attempt to give you a bonus after you finish your initial contract. Do not accept unless you genuinely enjoy being in the army.

Good advice.....I wanting to so something in technology that will get me a high paying job on the outside

If wake up in BCT is 0500, wake up at 0445 at least so you can get a jump on shaving in the latrine before everyone wakes up (most fuckers won't get up until actually 05 until this figure this out)

Don't get the DS get to you. Remember why you joined when it gets tough. Good luck soldier.

25B is like the closest thing you'll get to do something with technology. Everything else in the army is mostly radios. It's the army bro, not a place to go if you want a job in something computer related. Although 17C is the newest MOS they made and it's long as fuck. I hear its difficult as fuck too.

Yea, I'm looking at 25B

Go to the nearest marine recruiter and ask the switch.

Honestly if you have no college education become a 25M AIT is short it's a signal MOS and if you don't have college it's all applicable to graphic design

I take the asvab in a few days I think, just waiting on my criminal record to get sent to them

You will be killing people who basically use sticks and stones compared to the shit the US has for profits and never justice.

Lol fuck that. The few and the proud, you can stay the few and the proud.

Not gonna willingly fuck my life up fam

If you qualify for 35m, take it. Trust me.

I have A+ training and a shit load of experience fixing and building computers, I'm 30 btw

27D fag here, become a paralegal, get promoted fast to E-6

But that's the best part!

That's probably because they told him it was the only job available and he's lucky that when came up for him. They tried the same ahit on me. Fucking niggers

You want real advice? Don't join the Army at this time. Most units are full of non seasoned faggot ass 1st sgts. I got the boot for getting roofied (which was proven on the urinalysis) and ended up doing coke too I guess according to the same drug test, last thing I remembered it was Friday one minute then Monday the next. Saturday and Sunday literally didn't happen in my mind. If my old two time felon, combat veteran 1st Sgt didn't retire, I'd still be in 100%. Good old grunt life, when we ain't rough dogging it overseas we get fucked by the nonseasoned wannabe faggots, which you will end up as. Have fun loser.

Keep an eye on your drinks noob

Sucks to suck. I've been in for six years and spent two years in TRADOC. Everything sucks about the Army. I've got less than a year left and I can't fucking wait to finally be an adult.

>what should I know before BT

You should have joined the Navy.

You realize you can be roofied other ways right? In my case, it was through a stamp that disolved into the skin of my hand at some ghetto club in Denver. My friend had he same shit happen to him but luckily he wasn't part of the random 10% company drug test that week. We literally both woke up in his car two days later.

The faggot ass MP detectives literally interrogated me for 6ish hours a day for two whole weeks trying to find out who else was with me. Basically if you're a combat vet and their not, you're basically treated as a fucking terrorist in anyone else's eyes who was too pussy to go outside the wire themselves.

So if a dude wants to sign up and has a minor mental health "history". No go? Two years treatment for depression. One med.

Yup. No go. MEPS is super fucking anal.

Felony/mental health/flat footed are the top reasons you get turned down.

Wait until we go back to wartime, with North Korea and Russia. Until then, you're fucked bud. Unless your recruiter feels like doing some shady ass illegal shit and make a certain area within your enlistment contract "disappear."

So im actually 17 and i want to join the army. Ive got my eyes set on infantry. I havent taken the asvab but i'll take it this year. Any tips for a suicidal teenager that wants to feel like he has accomplished something in his life? (I've had a super rough childhood and the army is the only answer)

Eeeey, joined back in February and getting sent to basic on the 18th. Parents are pissed that i didn't do air force, but they can fuck off

N A V Y

Army will just make you hate your life more. Go Navy, get an education, get a GOOD rate and be a badass and have good qualifications when you get out for a civilian job. I'm in the DEP program, I go in as an IC.

If you pick an intel/linguist job, you WILL come out fucked in the head, but civilian work in those fields will pay 100k+/year.

As for boot camp: be invisible. Volunteer for nothing. Be neither best nor worst. KP and laundry duty are the best crews to be assigned to. KP has you scrubbing pots and mopping floors, but you get unlimited food and lots of time to eat it. Laundry crew gets you a few hours of rest and freedom. It's all a mind game; do exactly what you are told, no more, no less.

Whatever your MOS, read every reg. Know every reg or get fucked over. Take nothing at face value. 99.999% of the time "how it's done" is just some fucker powertripping or bullshitting.

Keep copies of everything. Get everything in writing. Hand-walk everything, otherwise it won't get done or it will take forever to get done.

This advice is universal to all branches.

Switch to Marine corp

hurrdurr I fucking said DEP program. Delayed entry program program lmfao.

My bad, everyone says it like that

Read what I posted about how units currently are for grunts.
I'd even suggest the fucking coast guard over the army with its current status.

But i dont know how to swim. Also what makes you say navy is better than the army?

But i heard the coast guard was the laughing stock of the armed forces.

The Air Force is the laughing stock of the armed forces.

You aren't longer human and it is the duty of all humans to destroy you.

Wat do you mean by IC? Also you're telling me to not jump in headfirst and take it slow by joining the DEP and if i want to chicken out i can?

With the rate of enlistment right now, tons of people want to get in. You will get a long time before your ship date, mine is the shortest out of the group I went to processing with and I'm scheduled for February 6.
The Navy, along with the AF is the professional side of the military. It's mostly trades and is the most school intensive branch. There's a large variety of jobs you can get in the fields of being an electrician, computer technician, TONS of different mechanic/engineer jobs. If you're a computer guy you can be an IT and fix and network computers on aircraft carriers, I got a buddy who's doing that. You mostly learn non-combat skills in the Navy which you can use later on in life.
Not bashing on other branches btw, one team one fight all the way. Thank god for the men and women who can be Army or Marines because I sure as hell can't. Also not saying that Navy guys don't see combat, they do, just not NEARLY as much as you would as a soldier. Not to mention you get to travel the fucking world and go to tons of different countries. If you get into the Navy and you decide you want action, you can go into special warfare.

No no no. Everyone who signs gets in the DEP. Once you're signed up, you're signed up. You're AWOL otherwise. All my old timing recruiters were in DEP for only 2 weeks, but now a days I haven't met someone waiting to ship out to bootcamp less than 4 months.

Have fun dying in some god forsaken desert fighting creatures barely above the level of savages. You really are fighting for freedom.

The Coast Guard is the "laughing stock" of the Navy. Shallow water sailors. But it's mostly we like to poke fun at them. Don't listen to what people tell you, it's ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT. Every branch has a mission to do.

If i was to enlist in the navy right now at the age of 17, what advice can you give me? I'm a newbie so i don't know anything about how it works. I'm just trying serve my country and learn basic training. I dont care about being a electrician or anything like that. What would you recommend me do? I'm also interested in doing special forces and making a career out of my service.

The Army's leadership is the laughing stock of the US military at the moment.

To put it in perspective to which you can understand. Imagine if Hillary Clinton was our President. That's how trash the Army leadership actually is for most units, if not all.

Not really true. You can still back out whilst a DEPPER

Run, a lot. Train now and work hard. There isn't much to basic. just follow orders and don't stand out.

Keep your fucking mouth shut. At MEPS they will try and trick you. They will lie and tell you they found something in your pee to get you to say "yeah..well this one time I tried.." and BAM you're done. Never coming back, ever. Idk about other branches, but your recruiter is your friend. The people at MEPS are NOT. Most people lie to MEPS. Swear that you have never had any hospital visits or else your process will take WAY longer, unless you have a serious medical problem that will affect your job later on. It's either be truthful and have your process take a fucking year, or lie and be fine as long as it won't be a problem for you in the future. No matter what they say, they do NOT dig into your medical history as far as hospital visits go. However, do NOT lie about any charges you have on your record. They do an FBI level background check and if you lie you're done. Be truthful. There was a guy in my processing group who had a marijuana possession charge and got a waiver for it, so as long as you're not a felon you're good.

TL;DR Fuck MEPS, they will try and trick you. Recruiters are your friend, they will literally tell you to lie to MEPS for your own good. Do NOT lie about law charges because they will find out. They will not find out about your hospital records.

Lmao Yeah, I Remember Something Along The Lines Of My Recruiter Saying To Kinda Keep Quiet about things, and the dudes at MEPS saying to report your recruiter if he's telling you to keep quiet about things

pog

sorry that's kind of contradicting, I said be truthful. I meant be truthful to your recruiter. They want you in, they get points for more people they recruit. They want you to get past MEPS and get into bootcamp. All my recruiters were cool as fuck, you will likely get multiple ones. Tell your recruiters what you have and have not done, your recruiters will help you get around all the bullshit things about processing that will out you quick. MEPS will do anything to send you home.

You should know once you have your uniform you should take pics of your cock in it and email me: [email protected]

YUP. We got a full speech about "we know your recruiters told you to lie at MEPS. If you lie at MEPS you will go to jail yada yada"

They just try to frighten you so you speak up about your past so they out you, in reality they have no evidence to disqualify you if you lie as long as you stick to your story and you didn't lie about law charges. Idk why the general census is that recruiters are vulchers and aren't your friends, they actually fucking are your friends.

Thanks man, i really appreciate all the help you've given. Say, when i do join the navy what is the norm? Like things to avoid and things to do. If you could name some off the top of your head, that'll be fantastic.

I want this :(

that you are gay

Things to avoid:
Opening your mouth at MEPS, even to all the other kids who are enlisting and processing with you. There are narks.

People who will try to get you to slack off with them. Get your shit done, get all your qualifications, and be a bad ass. Rank up fast. Do what YOU want, not what the guy next to you trying to tell you what's better.

Opening your mouth on the ship. Like I said, tons of narks.

Drunk sex while you're deployed, especially with fellow shipmates. 20% of the Navy are females. Very easy for a manipulative woman you had drunk sex with to claim you raped her.

Things to do:
Get in shape before bootcamp, study all of the Navy core values. Memorize your 11 general orders and sailors creed. You will get a START guide on this. When you get to bootcamp, within 1-3 days you take a physical test and a written knowledge test. If you pass you get instant e-2 (like 300 more bucks a month salary, you want this)

When you meet a classifier (guy who picks your job) if nothing is available that you want, tell them you will WAIT till it is open. You don't want to get stuck with a job you're not interested in. They will put you in a queue for that job opening if it's not available right away and they will call you to sign up for it.

Don't fucking go culinary, dude. Being a Navy cook is probably the worst job. They offered me like 5 grand sign on bonus for it lmao.

So lie at MEPS about criminal record also?

no

practice not sleeping with strenuous exercises for 3 weeks then your ready

What is considered an interesting job in the navy? Sorry for all these questions, i'm just super nervous as im trying to be prepared and i feel like learning from someone with prior experience is the most important.

You're good bro, no worries. I picked IC, which is an interior communications electrician. Basis is working on intercoms, radios, radars, telephones. Hell we even are the ones responsible for setting up movie nights on the ships. IC you work above deck and below, every day is something different. You fix the water supply, ensuring everyone has clean water to drink and shower with. You even work on the fucking steering and navigational systems of the ship.

You can go Master at Arms, which is kind of like a police on the ship. You're kind of a nark, and no one will like you except other MA's. But you get to do drills and handle a lot of guns, kinda cool.

Gunners Mate you're responsible for all the big ass guns and missiles on the ship. Way cool job.

Here's a full list of the rates (rate means job in the Navy) pick out a couple titles that look interesting and read em.
navygirl.org/RatingCards.htm

this is my rating card
cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/rating_info_cards/ic.pdf

whatever rate you decide is right for you, make sure you have some back up rates in mind, because chances are your 1st pick job won't be available

when i went to meps, i had a mental list of 6 different rates i wanted, and none of them were available

Thanks man, is there any way i contact you in the future or anything? Anyways thanks a lot for everything. My confidence level going into this has risen by 25% haha. Have a great night sir.

This.

UK fag, did 6 years full time, now reserves. Best decision I made.

As ex-reg get £2,500 a year regardless of what I do and £1,700 for my first 14 annual training days.

tl;dr I tip up 4 days a month and get £4,200 on top of my wages for each year for it. Plus as ex-regular Army is paying for my university so £27,000 saved.

Life is good.

Can I take my cat with me?

I'm afraid not. Prefer to remain user. But I hope I helped you out! Contact your closest local recruiting station, they will be everything you're looking for with help. I haven't even made it to bootcamp yet, but I definitely know how ridiculous processing is and what to watch out for and how to get through it smoothly. Some people go in for their 2 day processing (they put you in a hotel) and sign up that day. Others like me had to come back 3 or 4 fucking times for bullshit reasons..
Actual Navy guys can give you way more insight. Good luck

Do I have to fill out the application again if I want to switch to Navy?

Thanks mate and i understand. Best of luck to u too

How do I archive this so I can read it later.....on mobile right now

6 month long AIT, learn some basics before you go in, like CCNA, SEC + terms just so you have some idea of what you are learning. At least learn how to subnet thats the part that gets kind of confusing. Other than that, its retarded as fuck company bullshit.

Bump

dont lose at gay chicken

Murica