Why do people hate this so much?

Why do people hate this so much?

because it's shit

it's not hate, it's just not 10/10 and pink floyd has AT LEAST a couple of other 10/10 albums

Because they want to be edgy and contrarian and its a pathetic attempt by autists to seem interesting and unique.

because it's tryhardish and adolescent.

not and agrument

In what way is it "adolescent"?

because they don't think it will have any effect on immigration and drug trafficking, despite the israeli wall being incredibly effective at reducing cross-border terror attacks by palestinians

Cute

more than half of the songs are filler

Be careful user, this is an incredibly left leaning board and the liberal numales shall descend upon you when they see this

Politically charged albums are invariably stupid as they always miss the big picture and get bogged down in human semantics. "Edgy political agenda" is avant-teen, post-existentialism is avant-adult.
Suicide is enlightened, but doesn't typically make good music.

The Wall is the epitome of pained paranoia.

>implying the film is only about politics
>Implying its not about the alienation that comes with growing older and mental illness

There's a bunch of themes you're missing if you view it as purely political,.

I listened to it before I "got into music", I could be missing some stuff, but over all, everything I remember is heavy-handed and ultimately not too insightful.

>Album.

Fuck. can't type today.

>waaah my mom was so mean
>my teachers were so strict
>my dad died
>drugs are baaaaad
>better become a nazi
>sorry guys was just a prank
The whole album is just Roger Waters trying and failing to gain sympathy for being such an asshole

>>>/reddit/

What music would you consider post existentialism?

pretentious pile of shit

Anything that draws from a nihilist understanding, but ultimately understands that nihilism isn't as radical or edgy as people think, and simply takes it as empowerment. The most self-indulgent music, in whatever form. Of course, if it's really that self-indulgent, it'd probably be difficult for anyone other than the artist to enjoy, but that's why making your own music for your own listening a la David Lynch is as avant-adult as it gets.

Wtf I hate the wall now

The Wall is not politically focused album. The entirety of the album's all about Pinks psyche and exploration of it.
>bu but he turns himself into nazi!
Yes, his father died in WW2. He became the very thing that killed his father.
>but what about that nazi speech?
It's more less Pinks contempt for the audience coming out. Yes, there is a hint of commentatory here, but that is not the biggest point as to why Pink became a nazi.
>the albums FULL of dad whinning
Death of Pinks father is only in "Another Brick In The Wall, part 1"
>The album is saying being asshole is okay and that the protagonist did nothing wrong
Did you even listen to The Trial? Where it makes it clear that Pink is one to be blamed for his situation and how it has hurt other people.
The end track is Roger Waters message to the listener, encouraging to try and break down your walls and not blame those who gave up upon you while you let your situation hurt them.

>album is full of fillers!

Every single song on the album explores more of Pinks psyche and pushes the stoy forward.

It's a good album t b h 9/10

I remember watching a Gilmour interview where he said he personally felt like there was no spirit in the wall although technically it was alright.

the album is whining interspersed with filler.
the whole thing drags on for much longer than it needs to, and the story is quite generic desu senpai. The whole album is just Roger Waters trying to explain why he was such a dick. The Trial is only thrown in there as poor attempt at making it a cautionary tail. Ignoring the shit plot; the music is boring and wearing, with little semblance of any artistic endeavors. The same themes are carried out through the entire album. 5/10 at most.

The majority of the songs fall between boring and aggressively bad. As many people point out, half of them feel like they don't need to be there at all (personally I would just prefer the songs be better written).

Roger is a bottom-of-the-barrel songwriter and his barebones approach to making music is especially heinous when he attempts to make grandiose-sounding songs (this is at odds with tracks in which it works out such as Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun / Grantchester Meadows).

The subject matter is infuriatingly juvenile- at 14 I was getting uncomfortable with the way the album approaches issues of abandonment, abuse of power,self-loathing, social isolation. The album reads like a 12-year-old's diary entries played out with a few instruments sitting around.

There is zero reason to listen to the album when you could just watch the film and be distracted from the lame tunes by some pretty pictures.

These are just the main reasons, I could probably go on but then I'd be putting thought into it which I'm not really inclined to do.

>The Wall is not politically focused album.
Critiques of the education system are political - whining about the wrong people being in positions of power is a political whine.
>Pink is one to be blamed for his situation and how it has hurt other people.
That's literally wrong though. Pink's self-loathing is just coming out as his visions torturing him. Are you for real ?

when I was a depressed teenager The Wall was a 11/10, the end-all be-all of albums

now that I'm older is see it as a solid 8.5/10 album. The message is said over and over again to the point of redundancy, and some of the tracks just fall flat (Don't Leave Me Now and Run Like Hell)

However what is still golden is Rodgers decent into maddens and the good songs, which are extremely good. (Basically everything bedsides what I listed, extra credit to In The Flesh 1 and 2, The Thin Ice, Good Bye Blue Sky, Nobody Home, and Waiting For The Worms)

>Run Like Hel
>Fall flat
those are fighting words, I really like that song, it is much better live though. It gives it that extra punch it needed. Needed to be more aggressive.

This is actually my most consistent complain for The Wall, it needed to be much angrier in places.

And by "angrier" I mostly mean in Roger's vocals. One Of My Turns would sound better if he sounded much more pissed off.

The Wall is not about politics you dumb fuck

I love the wall from a storytelling standpoint, but I actually think the movie pulled it off better. It's a psychological exploration first and foremost, and the psychedelic aspects of the movie really play into that. I especially liked the animated parts. Those are missing on the album. I also liked What Shall We Do Now, of which only the abridged version (Empty Spaces) made it onto the album .
As others have posted before, every song does indeed advance the story, or at least add to the bigger picture. There is a plot twist or an important element in every one of them.
From a purely musical standpoint, however, I think The Wall lags behind most of the previous Pink Floyd albums. There is too much "concept album for the sake of a concept album" going on. Themes get repeated, songs act as intros or reprises of other songs, but the individual melodies and arrangements just don't cut it. At least not on the same level as Dark Side of the Moon or Animals pulled it off. Still, there is a bunch of really great songs on the album: In the Flesh, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, etc.
Ye you could say that
>Sup Forums
>left-leaning
He's not trying to gain sympathy. The album is about realizing that you're being an asshole, exploring the reasons why you are an asshole, and then ceasing to be an asshole.

I think all those "concept melodies" are fucking amazing if you really sit down to immerse yourself into the story while listening to the album, which is probably only one way to enjoy the album.

When "The Wall" guitar motif appeared it was always a highlight, it seems to get more and more aggressive the more it shows up, its last appearance on The Trial was fucking amazing.

oh sweetie, as if your favorite board didnt whine about israel on a frequent basis

I feel like Nine Inch Nail's "The Downward Spiral" is The Wall perfected, as it also depicts an unstable personality, but it handles its concept far better and doesn't sacrifice music complexities to get that concept around.

Because it kills dreams, and discourages people from following them.

Plus the whole album is depressing as fuck!

They don't.

life's dreams never come true
life is depressing as fuck.

It's boring, a lot of filler.

this is my opinion exactly
used to love it, nowadays it's just a bit meh for me. I get that all the songs push the story forward but at the end of the day there's like 26 songs on the album and about half of them are just not very good.

>yfw the beach boys were going to do backing vocals on the show must go on but couldn't because of a scheduling mistake

its just roger waters complaining about shit. its no fun, at least animals was roger waters AND david gilmour complaining about shit

It's a depressing album , I appreciated it at the time but I'm not 14 anymore I'm actually 41.

I'm a beast I'm a beast I'm a mobster

>prog rock in 1979

Because it's not good and most of it is just slow and boring.

Ehy jew lover faggots, how do you do? Also you know that liberal doesn't equal leftist?

It's overproduced hyper-political dribble.

this

Roger Waters indulgence.

Lack of input by other members.
It's audibly noticeable.

No one hates it Its pink Floyd's best album hell
Even the filler songs are amazing. I still dont understand why Roger didnt put in when the tiger broke free in the album thats the best pink floyd song