Ask a PhD student of astrophysics whatever you want

Ask a PhD student of astrophysics whatever you want.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EckBfKPAGNM
arxiv.org/archive/astro-ph/Astrophysics
adsabs.harvard.edu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how is life going ?

Hows that student debt?

How accurate is Steins;Gate?

Why Americans are dumb enough to believe the earth is flat?

If you're taking on more debt in grad school, you're doing it wrong.

Right now a combination of stressing and boring...

Are there a lot of jobs for astrophysics PhD's?

I figured therewas debt from before

No student debt, I am on a government scholarship.

Glad to hear it

I had no chance to play it yet, sorry. It's on my list.

are you a faggot?

Hard to answer, probably deficiencies in the basic education system, specially in scientific areas. Or just people hungry for being 'different' and 'not sheeps'.

Not that much nowadays, there is work, but you have first to pass through a series of post-doctoral positions in different places (often in different countries) until you can settle. There are plenty of options in industry though, although you can forget on doing research if you do that.

No debt from before, I studied in a public University in a country where public University education is subsidized by government and was pretty cheap.

No.

Is math related to science?

Dumbass

2 Part question: 1, What would our background radiation look like if after the big bang there was no expansion of the universe? (I guess there wouldn't be any because it would all be expanding into the universe ahead of us.) And 2, imagine in this same universe endless big bangs infinite far away, how would the background radiation be then?

Of course, math is the best language we have to describe nature, and not only to describe it, but also to predict things that we cannot observe yet.

If black holes shit out lots of xrays, why dont objects with less mass?

1- You mean after the first 380 000 years when the cosmic microwave background was produced? Had expansion stopped then, probably the Universe would have collapsed almost immediately due to gravity. In any case If the Universe somewhat managed to remain in that size, the CMB would be mainly X-rays and other energetic radiation (we see it in microwaves due to the expansion.
2- I did not understand that question, sorry. You mean endless big bangs inside the same Universe? Or a cyclic Universe?

Imagine space already expanded way beyond our actual estimated size and inside this space you have localized "big bang" events. could enough such events around us create a background radiation like we see today?

Have you idiots ever heard of Katy Perry?

Black holes themseles do not produce X-rays. X rays comes from the gas they trap in their accretion disks. In stellar mass black holes this gas can reach extreme temperatures so it radiates thermal X-rays, in supermassive black holes (millions to billions of solar masses) temperatures reached in the accretion disks are lower, so they produce mainly ultra violet radiation, but they also produce X-rays via other processes like inverse Compton effect (collisions of energetic electrons with photons). So... nothing goes out of black holes, all radiation is produced by the gas surrounding them.

Finally, for the gas to reach such enormous temperatures we need that it reaches high speeds and densities, conditions that are easily attained the strong gravitational potential around black holes. Other objects with less mas also emit X-rays: stars, specially neutron stars, even the Sun is a source of X-rays. Is just that they are not as efficient on that as massive objects such as black holes accreting matter.

I heard that Astrophysics turn you gay. When I went to the local Astrophysics department everyone there was a raging homosexual.

Are greater value products that much different than the real thing

Wtf

There cannot be big bang events inside our Universe, the big bang is the birth of a Universe, if there are other big bangs, they must be outside our Universe, and for now, we have no idea how to detect things outside our universe. The closest is the theory of the cyclic universes, in which our Universe contracts again to a singularity, and suffers a new big bang, repeating the process ethernally. In that case Roger Penrose predicted that some signals would appear in the cosmic background radiation, but they have not been found yet. But, in general, no, there cannot be more big bangs in our Universe, by definiton. (There may be some exotic hypothesis out there, but I am not aware of any).

That only talks about the homosexuals' statistics in your university. ;-)

You want to tell me it is unimaginable to just leave the expansion of space out of the big bang theory and place the rest in an existing universe?

Also, what were you looking for there? you nasty...

Was is worth all the sacrifices ?

I am not sure what you mean. The expansion of the Universe is part of the big bang theory, it just makes no sense. Had the Universe had more mass, gravity could stop expansion and collapse the Universe again, but that is not the case. In fact, observations show that expansion is accelerating.

Hell yeah!!! I admit is not for every one, you have to really love to learn and science, but if you like this the experience and knowledge is very rewarding.

Why don't you post this thread on /sci/?

I dunno, I enjoy watching conferences and wikipedia and shit, but all the calculus and group theory and topology and discrete math and shit you have to go through in undergrad, I did quit early and I'm not looking back

Leave your indoctrinated path, we had locally as much mass available as we had in our local "notthebigbang bigbang" now what would the background radiation look like in a universe that had infinite of these events.

She's the one who asked that to an astrophysicist.

Probably because he's not a real astrophysicist.

What's your favorite SciFi tv show?

give recent papers on superluminal motion

why do you study such impractical field?

>Who can believe this giveaway?

desktime.karlosb.com

pirates or ninjas? why?

Where you too stupid for a PhD in a proper field of physics?

are you at the U of M, or are you just a Dahm triplets fan?

How many uber rides would I have to give to make about $2,000? I get a $450 bonus after the first 75

I live in so cal btw.. Anyone feel free to answer this

norcal uberfag here, you'll probably be able to average $20/hr, so that's about 100 hours of driving right there... factor in gas and wear and tear on your vehicle, so maybe two to three weeks?

Ya but how many rides does that come out to? Just wondering how many people I'm gonna have to let in my car

shit, i dunno... say average cycle for each fare is 20 mins? so three fares in an hour, or 300 fares for 100 hours

let's say you have on average 1.5 riders, so maybe 400-500 people in your car over three weeks?

Eh that's a bit much but I'll see how I feel after i make about 1,000.. thanks bro

good luck dude.

wish him g/l, OP

Does dark matter get pulled into black hole?

i can think of some dark matter that gets pushed into your mom's black hole...

When does nibiru kill us all?

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

>PhD in astrophysics
>Sup Forums

>Hey guys, its me God! Ask me anything as I am clearly God and am not some greasy faggot desperately begging for attention?

Thoughts on Halton Arp?

youtu.be/EckBfKPAGNM

where you at and how far into your program are you? Astrophys PhD here, too ;)

Not OP, but yes. Dark Matter doesn't interact with EM radiation (like light, thus the name), but does gravitationally interact, which is how we typically detect it (by its gravitational influence on visible objects).

Watch some youtube Videos about uber you won't make 20$/h...

European or african?

I love /b

does the universe be like it is?

Is hard, but the learning curve is often very soft, if you really commit your hours to that it is not that hard. I was really bad in math in the undergrad, but just studying more hours I managed to graduate and now I am doing quite well in the PhD.

Ok, going on extreme especulation gorunds... I would say that the Universe would be flooded with extremely intense gamma radiation on each event. Also if each big bang produces as much energy/matter as the original, the Universe would soon collapse.

Right now... the expanse. Although I prefer Sci-Fi from novels, they usually develop stories a lot better. Isaac Asimov for the win!

it do.

You can look yourself on astro-ph arxiv.org/archive/astro-ph/Astrophysics
and the ADS
adsabs.harvard.edu/
;)

Because is cool. I love the things I learn about the Univers I live in.

If light is a wave then what's waving?

if you're in a dense downtown area, you might be able to make $25/hr. I base that on my own experience driving in the suburbs making about $12/hr, where half my time was spent off-meter driving back to the restaurants to pick up fares

Definitely Pirates. Travel the world, not so many laws, definitely more fun!

Why, couldn't we just have localized collapses that generate new bangs when the energy density gets critical

Astrophysics is more funny for me, I like the things that are out there.

If jesus was real could he microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Triplets sympathizer.

my wife went to U of M when those HOORS were there... i think she even crashed the wedding reception of the one who married dr phil's son

If is the universe (space/time) has been expanding since the big bang 13.7 billion years ago. Is matter expanding along with it? Is matter's density a constant? Were things actually smaller and more compact in the distant past? Would this explain the missing gravity from our observations about the universe?

I am not sure of the details of Uber's bonus system. If it's just plain arithmetic with those data... 334

No one knows what dark matter really is. If it was particles, like WIMPS, ore any kind of matterial object yes it should be pulled into black holes. If it was some kind of energy field or other unknown effect, it would depend on its characteristics.

You're just one of those people who finds his own kind, I guess, no matter where you go or who you blow. Stupid cunt.

Never, it does not exist.

What's your dick size?

That is more of a question for an ornithologist or biophysicist...but I guess is not that much.

LOL, just killing boring time.

Save these questions for experts. Both the OP pic and the lack of real answers says everything about how serious this thread is.

Sorry, I don't have one hour to see that video, nor have heard before about him.

There is probably a probably a frozen ball of gas outside of the the Kiper belt that has equivalent mass or greater of earth. Rouge brown dwarfs do exists. It's not outside the realm of possibility. Even i it did exists the media and scientists wouldn't tel us because of the mass panic it would induce because there is literally fuck all we could do about it.

Just one year, a lot to go for yet. I'm currently in Mexico (I'm not Mexican), probably moving to Spain, Brazil or Israel for future stages (depending on my advisor's judgement of what I need to learn next and which who) . And you?

This.

The electromagnetic field.

Probably. I am not expert on such speculative grounds, probably a theoretical physicist working on cosmology could give you a better answer. Sorry.

A field of what?

Wow, that blew my mind... :-O

WOW, any pictures? I suppose not. Any related story?