Any computer programmers on here...

Any computer programmers on here? I Just started learning how to code and was wondering what's the best language to learn first. And if you have any websites that are helpful

Other urls found in this thread:

ex-parrot.com/~pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends on what you want to actually do with your programming you tard

Depends on what you want to do

To get started learn Python, after that something like Java.

I'd love to learn java because of the salaries...

programming is a art. if you're going into it for the money, you're better off somewhere else.

I've been coding a long time. It's certainly much easier to learn now. Start with python. Once you have a grasp on one language you can pick up most very easily.

I started with by fucking around with GameMaker lmao

learned C++ after that
will start java soon

This

But regardless I'd reccomend some useful scripting language... Python, perl, bash. There are too many prissy "software engineers" who are either too stupid or too vain to learn how to solve simple devops/sysadmin problems with some simple scripting.

then learn java..

I learned a with mirc script lol... actually made an entire irc client inside of mirc with sockets. Went from that to c>c++> java> c#> python

C++...xamarin is the future tho.

Java is a pretty universal langauge, or c++/c# if ur a super intro-level/

learn C
but frankly D is a lot of fun as well, you might want to give that a try
it's a little more 21st century than C
whatever you do don't go for some python or javascript or whatever like that crap
you want to learn programming, not just make an effortless and shitty program within 5 minutes

+1 for a scripting language first. Python is particularly forgiving for newbies because it is weakly typed. This same reason is why a lot of people say avoid it to avoid bad practices when you move to a strongly typed language. I think it's still easy to get the ball rolling and understanding why certain choices were made in python after moving onto say c++ (eg use it as a learning experience as oposed to a drawback)

I suggest using Scratch or even App Inventor for mobile dev, just so you get used to thinking logically - thinking like a computer.

After that you could start getting into python, since it's fairly simple and it basically forces you to format your code in a nice manner, which is actually really important, especially when writing bigger programs in terms of code.

After that go learn Java/C#, or, if you think you got the hang of it, you could even go after C++ for Windows/Linux/Android and iOS development.

If you're into web development you should also learn simple html and maybe CSS just so you can run JavaScript on an offline website/work environment.

>Obviously not a programer.

It's not about investing all of your time and knowledge into one thing. Learning an easy scripting language just allows you grasp and apply that knowledge to future learning. Once you have a grasp on an easy language figuring out everything else is easy.

People won't think you're 1337, but c# is actually a really useful, powerful and easy to get started with. The net framework handles alot of the side-crap for you aswell.

Fuckoff you freelance hippie faggot. I bet your resume header says something like "computing intellectual with an appetite for algorithms"

Don't make java your main. Its a messy language, somewhat okay for learning but c# would be much better. Besides all enterprises use Microsoft stack. If you want job security learn .NET

C is only useful for the arduino on you 21 speed dragon dildo fucking machine you faggot

you just need to learn Ruby and Rust.

You'll learn Ruby in two evenings, maybe less. It will solve your small problems with absurdly little effort. It will make every other shitlanguate (including but not limited to Java Python PHP etc) useless and boring.

Then, Rust.
It's way more than shitty imperative languages (like C/C#/C++, Go, Python, etc). It requires quite a steep learning curve, but in a few months you'll master it and won't ever have the need to learn anything other.
Plus, it's a commercially viable language. Don't fall for baits like "C++ Programmer Required" - you will have to maintain code written by others, full of absurdly vulnerabilities and idiosincracies, possibly with a mindset decades old.

those languages build upon low level programming
for that matter you might as well start with x86 nasm

>C is only useful for the arduino on you 21 speed dragon dildo fucking machine you faggot
amateur detected
how can you excel at high level programming without even understanding computers

I will also vouch for C#

This.

C# or python. Check out Derek Banas on YouTube, probably the best programming tutorials out there

Best you can do is start with C to learn about general programming(memory, types, structures, etc), then move to C++ and learn OOP and practice some Design Patterns.
If you do that you''ll have pretty good base and understanding of imperative programming, and you are ready to move to higher level lagunages(C#, Java(uck), Python, etc).

Take advice from a programmer.
Get as far away from programming as you can.

APL , cobol or fortran

trips of truth

tripsdubstrips tell the truth

What do you want to build?
Smartphone apps? Websites? Games? Or maybe you don't care about that stuff and just want to work with loads of data in smart ways.
First question you gotta ask yourself is, what is your goal.

Programming sucks

APL is dead since decades.
Fortran is not.
Cobol is literally alive

>amateur detected
Not really. I work with vhdl, arm assembly, and c/c++ daily at my job. Even though embedded skills are valuable you end up very pigeonholed in the software engineering industry.

>how can you excel at high level programming without even understanding computers
Easily. Half the jerkoffs I graduated with are making great money doing their stupid enterprise applications.

In my first year Comp Sci we learned C and Python. You will learn the fundamentals of programming and will make learning others much easier.

K most of these guys are fucking inbreds
LEARN OO language first then all else will be more ez to learn
if u think scripting is a better way to learn code u have fucking downs
RN coding is all about object creation, utilization, and implementation.
if you want to code at a high level learn C++ or JAVA anything else is wasting time. u can learn the others once u have actually grinded out the hard shit.
Like coding a vector of a vector of a vector.

>Easily. Half the jerkoffs I graduated with are making great money doing their stupid enterprise applications.
they don't excel at anything, they are simple code monkeys

This is how you spot a professional programmer.

>like and share

>websites
get a book you fucktard it's soo much better, if can't afford torrent it

The concepts of java, HTML and CSS. Xamarin cause it's cross platform and le future

>Java
>Future
you have all of my keks

if you want a job, look close at the website's that hire programmers, and look for the most requested languages.
In my region it is c#, java doesn't exist around here, so learning that is borderline useless. There was like 1 for c++ and 4 for cobol.
I highly recommend you, NOT LEARNING COBOL. it is hard and it sucks.

The required languages today are any kind of SQL, basic web skills(javascript, ccs, html) and any object oriented language, most of the time either c# or java, but java is outdated so avoid it if you can.
If you want to do more interactive programming, machines and datamining, python is a good bet.
You could also learn R, but that is a shit language for everything except data manipulation.
Rust is also upcoming, but there isn't any demand for it in the job field yet. GO is death and so is erlang, ruby died to.

The safest bet is really c# or java.
If you want to build a website fast PHP is great, for some reason a lot of people hate it, but that's because you can create complete garbage in it, if you don't care.

I recommend the book, clean code so that you don't write horseshit.

Tip, avoid node like the plague. It's horrible for website's and everything else.

Well i learned PHP and C++ first when i was very young, and now when i see a language that isn't C-like i get turned off, so that was a huge mistake.

>programming books
lmao, your book will be useless in 3 months

I found Reimers XNA tutorial to be fun C# practice

lisp is a good start

Check out online courses on Pluralsight or Udemy or anything like that.
Also, when you subscribe to visual studio dev essentials you get some free stuff. Like 3 months of free pluralsight and $25/month worth of credits on azure for a year to fuck around learning.

Probably worth a look for anyone who's interested in .NET tech

I'd say C#

c# is fucking gay and java is best

basically if your from usa learn java, if your from Europe where there are sensible people learn c++ or c# (they both fairly similar so if you get one down you can learn the other one real quick

that's why you torrent it

How long did this take to type?

No one actually 'codes' anymore. They all just LegoBlock assemble OOP 'classes' they know nothing about using cute little GUI crap tools.

Sure you can live plot the GPS coordinates of my flushed turds but can you write a memory management process?

(You)
>Took*

I love coding
Honestly the easiest way for me was to just play with it and make something, could be anything
just google the specifics of what you need done if you get stuck
idk it just seems to click really easily for me

and torrent books not but then btw

gtfo script kiddie

I still haven't found a language that has better string manipulation than mirc script without having to learn regex...yes i know i should learn it get off my back!
I run an instance of mirc simply for the sockets and string manipulation. Makes parsing a webpage so stupidly easy.

I hear ya. Visual studio spoiled the hell out of me. Whenever I have to work with anything else I get frustrated with how no IDE can even come close to what I'm used to. It makes me kinda lazy.

so many java fags, enjoy your huge vulnerable hole in every box you touch

yet here i am after developing multiple android and ios apps + crap tonnes of shit for windows

theres a reason im on 45k a year and youre not

this.

learn css and never look back.

They'll respond with a late argument

This is blasphemy for programmers

regex is great and bad at the same time. it really takes toll on your processor. So don't use it too much, because it can slow down an entire server if abused. like this fucking regex for validating a fucking mail address
ex-parrot.com/~pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html

Yeah, I would skip regex too. I mean, you'd have to spend multiple hours learning it.

After that i learned C#, and that spoiled me even more. C# Visual Studio integration is the only reason why i dual-boot Windows/Linux. I know faggots will tell me that Mono Develop and VS Code exists, but it's shit.
I use Linux to play games and Windows to code, it's the opposite of what most people do, but Vulkan with my old nVidia graphics card works very well for games like Dota 2.

Has wine got any power now?

Alright here's what you do OP:

Get vim.
Find a compiler for some fucking language whatever fucking language you like, it doesn't matter.
Start writing code till you get something that compiles and does what you want.

Repeat and read up on best practices for coding, how memory works and data structures.

It's less buggy, but it still has it's problems.
But it is not needed as much because there are some amazing games on Steam for Linux (and some shit ones too).

Is a low level language fine for him starting?

video tutorials are waste of time. You can learn off books 10 times faster

Visual Studio is the best IDE, nothing gets even close to it.

after burning out I now work with wordpress and PHP, it fucking sucks

stay away from PHP people, is total shit. Also, don't burn out

Nice, I understand it is usable nowadays, nice

Define "low level".

Reading documentation is 10 times faster than reading books. I don't need a book to remind me how big a byte is for the 10th time.

PHP is b0ss , its you that's shit

Really?
Checked though

Yea reading randomly through Documentation while you are total begginer is such a great move! 10/10

How did you burn out?
And PHP was one of my first languages, and i can confirm this. PHP's error reporting is the most shit thing that exists in the universe.

Reading everything from the begging to end, not randomly reading trough it.

Any language is better than where op is at now, not doing anything.

>language gets too confusing
>change

You should be able to easily transfer between languages, the only thing you should have to worry about is looking up syntax and maybe if the compiler handles shit different.

>Visual Studio is the best IDE
it sure fucking isn't. it's a bloated pile of shit.
>wordpress and PHP
PHP is only useful for servers anyway. and it's not shit. you say you work with wordpress and PHP? wordpress takes fuck all PHP knowledge to run, that shit is a one-click solution for retards that CAN'T CODE. so stop trying to make yourself look knowledgeable. you're retarded and have no idea what you are talking about.

Well, yeah, but he should start somewhere in the middle, I'm definitely not saying vb(not a language), but, c#, c++? Maybe, ya know

Here you are.

OP's new and asking for resources. Video's could be just what OP needed.

sure thing kid, call me when you have a top theme a several plugins in envato

this makes no sense at all

>Define "low level".

This is how we know you aren't a programmer and are instead talking out of your ass and shouldn't be doing any more than lurking in this thread.

Fuck sake.

Blasphemous piece of shit

C++

I am not sure what you have done with it, but my starts in a second and it doesn't take up more than 100MB of RAM. So it's not bloated, you just have installed the extra shit you don't need.

C# is pretty good. Really easy for a beginner to hop into a visual studio C# project and make a simple form application or some shit.

> joins a thread about programming
> posts picture made by a retard that doesn't understand anything about programming

GG

TOP THEME! PLUGINS! AHAHAHHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahah wow. you really are a fucking retard. thanks for the confirmation. you are probably part of the reason why wordpress sites get hacked to death to begin with, you fucking lamer.