This album came out in 1991

It is better than any progressive rock album that has come out since that time, and it is barely BARELY progressive rock in the first place. How is this possible? It's not even an especially notable album for Genesis, but it's still miles better than anything that the Mars Volta, for instance, put out.

Other urls found in this thread:

procession1995.bandcamp.com/album/still
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HOT SUN
BEATING DOWN

facts

I know she's got a body under that shirt,
All she wants to do is rub my face in the dirt

procession1995.bandcamp.com/album/still
1995 prog

I remember getting his album from the BMG music service when i was like 11.

It's their worst album.
Jesus He Knows Me is good though.

lol even my dad who bought that CD in 1991 and is still in his drawer somewhere, grimaces whenever he sees that CD and tells me he regrets buying that shit

I agree, its fucking terrible and possibly one of the worst albums ever made

Have you listened to it? Fading Lights is a masterpiece of the extended bridge prog rock format

i only like the pop tracks (title, jesus, and no son)

I mean thats fair enough. Its still pretty effortlessly listenable all the way through. The pop tracks are interspersed very nicely for my short attention span.

I felt kinda sad reading the liner notes of Collins' solo release that came out a couple years after this, Both Sides. He talked about how he played almost all the instruments on the album.

I was a kid at the time, so I was impressed that someone could be so talented. But now, it seems lonely.

it's probably one of the worst albums I've listened to

Even saccharine stuff like Never a Time slays me on this album. It sounds like solo phil collins, but it all works so well. Every song. I could only see hating it if you categorically dont like prog rock

>prog rock
>rock
pop definitely, not rock

This. Genesis was always barely rock in the first place. It's why their transition to pop was so much easier and more natural than other groups like Rush or Yes.

It's a good album, but Rush had the better album that year

Roll the Bones? It would be a near 10/10 if not for the rapping skeleton part.

Jack.
Relax.

>You're under cardiac arrest mwahahahahahaha
Holy shit I'm getting chills rn senpai

Genesis is my favorite band and even I feel that you're delusional calling this album prog or better than something like De-Loused. Granted, it's got some solid proggier jams (Fading Lights, Driving the Last Spike, etc), but that by no means makes this the pinnacle of modern prog. Progressive rock as it was originally known died after the 70s, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, if a genre stagnates for 40 years, what's even progressive about it anymore? Stuff like TMV at least takes the hallmarks of classic prog (instrumental prowess, unique lyrical topics, indulgent length) and gives it a bit of a fresh spin. While I personally find it far from being as good as something like Foxtrot, it's a step in the right direction towards innovation and away from rehashery, and definitely better than We Can't Dance.

Still a huge step down from Invisible Touch

TMV lacks any sort of musicality to me. And for prog it's absurdly one note. I think a better example of modern prog would be something less intentionally prog like Built to Spill.

I think the intentionality of TMV and others like it is what bothers me. It's like bands that intentionally compose classic rock songs. The prog rock aspects of We Can't Dance aren't especially complex or deep but they are honest and natural.

>Worst album
>Not their first or last album

I highly doubt that.

From Genesis to Revelation is underrated gothic baroque pop and the last one at least gets points for trying.