Any of you guys own rodents? I bought some rats a few months ago because my building doesn't allow cats or dogs...

Any of you guys own rodents? I bought some rats a few months ago because my building doesn't allow cats or dogs, and they're actually some of the most entertaining pets I've ever had. They're smart as fuck and have a lot of personality. Really underrated.

I just got a 5 week old one and it's my first baby, but she is pretty tiny right now because her mom stopped milking kind of early. Any experienced rat owners have any recommendations of what I can feed her to get her bigger in a healthy way?

keep thread from 404 and ill go ask my mom, we se was a grate rat-breeder when i was yonger and have had 100s of litters i´ll ask her for advice brb in a fiew minutes

Would be good to know. I don't think she needs milk that much since she's eating her rat food already.

I can't answer your question but I had rats and loved them. Daisy was the blonde one and Honey was the grey and white one.

Rats are based but they don't live long. I was heart broken when they died. They lived their whole lives together and died within a week of each other from old age. I think Daisy knew what happened when Honey died and couldn't bear living without her best friend.

The fat bitch in the background is what I used to fuck on the daily.

I got a guinea pig.
Poor thing isn't very smart, but it's cute af

ok i´m back
she says that at 5weeks its normal for the mom to stop milking nad if it seems small/under nurished feed it proteins and fat food and mix it with kooked rice....all ratts fukken loves rice.....think of what a human child tenager needs to grow upp good and strong and feed it that....they are omnivores just as uss....hope this helps //JL

I've had several rats.

Don't leave food out for them. Making feeding them a ritual and they'll nest and bond with you over it.

Rats are lactose intolerant. They dont ever need dairy.

Guinea pigs aren't smart. Rats are smarter than dogs but it's too sad when they die. Tfw I just realized all my pictures of my old rats were on my old hard drive and I'll never see their faces again.

I heard guinea pigs get super depressed super easily, like just taking them from the petstore can make them sad as shit. They're supposed to live 5-8 years? My relatives had some but only lived maybe 2 or 3 years.

Fuck rats these thing live in sewers you fucking purposely put a pest into your home

I was thinking so, just need to figure out how much to give her.

You schouldnt keep guinea pigs alone, they are herd animals. My gf got 8 of those fuckers

Also dwarf hamster master race

also i aggre that ratts are smart AF....i used to go to pet-rat shows where you get them judged just like dogs on temprament and looks etc....my mother was one of the leading/best breeders of rats in our contry (specializing in the type called "champagne") and i used to compete in agillity with my rats...fun as hell and they learn really quick.
anny more questions u have about raising rats ? i´ll be happy to help/ask my mother if i dont know //JL

Look up videos of pet rats, they're very playful. Some people have an irrational fear of them because of evolution though. Mine do tricks and respond to their names, I let them free roam my apartment for hours.

I meant like a substitute milk, something like a bit of ensure or soy milk.

Me and my sister used to have a dwarf hamster. We called her Teacup because we put a tiny teacup in her cage for her to play in. So fucking cute, but they're dumb and smelly.

My rats loved dairy stuff

They love it, but they're not supposed to eat it. When would a rat have ever have had access to cow milk over the past 1000s of years?

I love them

i caught a possum instead of a stray cat today, does that count?

ye as if they are the same race....retard...
pet ratts are brown ratts aka "Rattus norvegicus" completly diffrent from the aggresive feral black rats "Rattus rattus" that live in the wild ....l2 fucking species

I always wanted to go to a show. Do breeders sell their rats at the shows too? Or is it just for the competitions? Love to see pictures if you have any, never have had a champion breeder's rat.

I had a pet rat named Buster when I was a kid. He was great. Very affectionate and smart, he knew tricks, his name, he liked riding around on my shoulder.

Now here's the downside with rats, they live *exactly* long enough for you to get extremely attached and then they die. An average lifespan of about 3 years, though 5 isn't unheard of.

To be real, cats and dogs are the classic pets because really they are the *superior* pets. I had a lot of "alternative" pets growing up hamsters, an iguana, a bird, snakes, that rat Buster. And honestly, the only one on that list that was worth getting was the rat. And now as an adult, I own a cat and a dog.....

Rats would make great pets if they lived longer but their short span is pretty hard on you. Like I said, it's just long enough that you're very attached by the time they go.... also, know the warning signs if you're gonna get them to the vet in time. Most rats (male and female) die of breast cancer, if they seem like they have lumps or their eating gets sketchy, that's what's going on...

Nah dude get 2 and you'll fall in love once you get over the tails. I think it's cool because it's like part mammal, part lizard. They can also climb you like a monkey, ride your shoulders, play fetch, wrestle with each other, etc. My old roommate introduced me to his and I was weirded out at first, but I ended up adopting two and since then I've had six. They're amazing pets regardless, but many people feel the way you do so they never get the spotlight.

well it depends where i´m from (sweden) they usally make up before hand if they are gonna sell ratts and bring em to the shows or you go home to the breeder when they got a litter readdy, usally they dont bring children-rats to the show cince its stressfull for both mother and child.
not champion....hehe "Champagne" as the alcoholic drink....named for their golden-white colour
champion is the 2nd higest prize you can get your rat rated as in acompetition only beaten by "grand champion" ...atleast it was
sorry no photos digitally....this was almost 15 years ago....so its been a long time since me and my mother had rats

I will get him a "brother" in the near future.
I read they need to have some age difference

Yeah, wish they had longer lives. In my mind it's just something that makes them low maintenance pets, can't imagine something that small but complex and active to live too long anyways though.

I heard Europe especially Netherlands are very into rat breeding. Why is that?

then u dont want a chincilla....those fuckers can live for 30 years and are no bigger than guineapiggs

I thought Chinchillas were like as big as rabbits. That's a long ass lifetime.

dunno really, i mean we had the bubonic plague spread by black ratts with infected freeas nearly whipe us uot a coupple of hundred years ago so u would think it be the opposite....but i dont know maby we just love social annimals i guess

question..what do you do about the poop if you let them roam? I mean I doubt they are smart enough to go somewhere designated so I guess just search for it regularly??

Dumb ? Vio (violent grey bc hes grey and chubby like violent j) is smart af.

I dont think age really matters. But one will be dominant. Most people allways stop them from fighting for ranks, so tgey never stop. Just give them enough room an time to check whos alpha

just checked it says an adult chincilla can weigh 1,1-1,4kg .....holy shit the fattest rat-males thet ive seen weigh that much....though them bastard was fukken opese AF tho hehe

My mom had a couple chinchillas, sister had a hampster, I had mice for a bit, and I had a rat. Step brother had a guinea pig.

Truth be told, the ONLY rodents that I've seen that are consistently smart and affectionate are rats. Sure, you *might* get an affectionate guinea pig or gerbil but the odds are more likely that you get a skittish one that would really prefer nothing to do with you though they may grow begrudgingly tolerant of being handled.

Chinchillas are skittish as fuck and if you don't handle it constantly and regularly, they're likely to bite and piss and shit on you so you stop bothering them. At best you might be able to handle them without getting bit or shit and pissed on, but forget about them actually *liking* you, they simply aren't that domesticated.

Rats are honestly the only rodents that I think make good pets and I've had experience with pretty much all of them that are commonly kept.

If they had a long span, I'd recommend getting a rat as a pet.... but just 3 years can be pretty rough. He'll come to be a very close friend and family member and then he'll die and leave a hole in your heart.

Chinchillas look bigger but a lot of it is that soft soft poofball of fur.... but they aren't very affectionate or very smart. Rats are superior. See

look at these little jew creatures
amazing!

They will poop freely if you leave them out for a long time and they establish hideouts around the rooms, but they can be litter trained by just putting all the poops in one area. You can also put them away if you catch them pooping which should discourage them from doing it outside their cage. Mine sometimes poop under my desk but they're so tiny and dry out I don't see them as gross anymore, just pick them up with a tissue.

u actually can train em to go on a litter box just as a cat....tho the usally poop elswhere annyways so.....i dunno......my childhood was filled with vacuming upp rat pellets from the floor/bookshelf etc....yay, also me and my mother had as most 60 rats in 8 difrent cages/clans

Literally nearly any time, since they lived in and around human settlements from time immemorial?

I laugh at that idea sometimes. They look like straight up propaganda when they're rubbing their hands together and hunch over.

Protip: Even lactose intolerant animals/people usually have no problem with a dry cheese (like cheddar, American, swiss, etc), now a moist cheese like a brie or a cream cheese is a different story.

The reason being lactose is converted into lactic acid in the cheesemaking process and lactose intolerant people generally have no problem with lactic acid.

The foods lactose intolerant people have problems with are moist dairy products like milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, ice cream, and milkshakes.

But evolution wise, they wouldn't have developed a way to process the cow milk. They can eat it but still will get upset stomachs. We've built a tolerance to it, but not every human has either. I don't think all rats are lactose intolerant however.

That's good info. I'm lactose intolerant but have always been fine with cheese and wondered why.

well i´m out OP! i got dialasys in e fiew hours and need to get some sleep before so....hope you get taht litte runt big and stronk and enjoy your new mischiviuos friends! take care //JL

Y u have other ppls blood tho

Rats are cool af. I've had them for years. They're social and incredibly friendly. Honestly they're probably better pets than my cats are.

As far as food goes, apart from whatever pellets you're feeding your rats, if you give her something fatty and high in protein it will help get her weight up (for example, take her out of the cage and hand feed her a little bit of egg or something).

Also, if you ever notice one of your rats is sneezing, a little bit of dark chocolate, think part of one chocolate chip, is good for that.