/Dungeon Synth/ - Weezer cover album edition

today was a fucking mistake. I spent all day making this because I thought it would be a good idea.

angusthebard.bandcamp.com/album/the-weezing-dragon

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/4y2hqpxr
clyp.it/01u1skva
clyp.it/ay1yldzm
clyp.it/fldnl5x5
youtube.com/watch?v=9gDConIT1XM
youtube.com/watch?v=_4GRe5I71Tk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

well is it?

holy shit, I had no clue that existed. If that guy ever sees this I'll feel fulfilled.

it's wonderful

We have to get Fantano to review this

thanks buds

whenever I feel like making another terrible decision, what band should I do next?

I'm not sure what I expected when making this, but so am I

David Bowie

Holy shit, this is brilliant, I love it. It's just stupid enough for no one to have thought of that before, and just smart enough for it to work and it all come together in this wonderful dungeonsynth cover of Weezer in all its awkwardness.

This is adorable user

How do I into dungeon synth?

fug, I'll give him a shot when I feel up to it. If it sounds good I'll keep goin

thanks man, glad you like it

The Rise and Fall of Ziggania Stardusticus and the Dragons From Mercia

fugazi

havin trouble thinkin of some middle ages fugazi titles

for stuff like this check these out

this shit is dope

Dungeon Punk

1. Love Looks With the Heart, Not With the Mind, and Therefore, Cupid is Blind of 1's and 0's - clyp.it/4y2hqpxr
2. Dungeon by Moroder - clyp.it/01u1skva
3. One More Shalt Do't Again - clyp.it/ay1yldzm
4. Thither is Something Regarding Us Both - clyp.it/fldnl5x5

All we need now is a weezer jrpg.

This is fucking outstanding. Thank you so much user.

fuck maybe I should have called this project something with "Weezerds" in the name

kek, nah its ok, I like it as it is. Since you're here I'll ask, how do I into making dungeon synth?

I asked the same thing like 2 years ago. I would advise you to just start dicking around on any DAW with old instruments, cause that's what I did.

Don't try to be fancy or anything in the beginning, just figure out what kind of sounds/instruments you'd like to play with.

Do you want grand/battle ready DS with big war drums and string arrangements or would you rather just make music that sounds like some old guy is smoking a pipe on the front porch of his cabin with some harps and panflutes?. I figured out that I enjoy Idyllic cabin synth so I dug up some old video game soundfonts with very modal scales and learned how to use them pretty effectively.

The community on facebook is also very welcoming.

Thanks!

Also, do you think it'd be marketable to have a doom metal band that also has dungeon synth arrangements of certain songs? I know its associated more with black metal, but I think those two could go well together.

yeah plenty of people from BM/Death Metal/Doom Metal come in and post their DS songs every now and then

Coolio

I sometimes feel limited because I'm mainly a drummer, and doom/metal in general is largely such a guitar driven genre, I feel like I can't really get my ideas out there without using just the garbage stock guitar sounds on whatever program. DS might be a fun way to put some of these ideas into practice

love this

same here man, I only play keys, but usually people weren't digging whatever I played so DS is perfect for solo stuff too

Tell me this, not really DS related but a musical opinion in general--I was thinking about trying to make music, metal or not, where the primary focus is on rhythm rather than melody or harmony. There would be looping riffs/chords in the background, but it wouldn't be just self-indulgent drum soloing, but just evolving rhythmic patterns that are sort of the guideline throughout the pieces like the melody line typically is. I'm trying to ask an array of people about this just to get their opinions on it. What do you think?

I like it a lot :)

What synths are you using? I just got a couple really cheap ROMplers on craigslist but I find the sound isn't really right for dungeon synth.

i love you

Uhh.... youtube.com/watch?v=9gDConIT1XM

fer serious though, you should do whatever you want man. If it's good you'll know it. If it turns out bad you can try something else. Just try things.

I'm having trouble imagining it in my head, do you have any examples? I'm always open to any kind of music though. I think as long as you're a talented/competent drummer it'll be worthwhile to try it out cause the melody line will probably be the most important part

Actually this isn't half bad as an example It would be more based around acoustic drum kit sounds, but mainly toms, snare and large and exotic cymbals, to keep sort of an ancient feel to it. Like an orcish war drum ensemble playing composed, long-form pieces. I could record something this week and post it, but it would probably be just drums, maybe with like a synth pad underneath it

Across the Moat is beautiful

Do you know Geinoh Yamashirogumi? Or Gamelan music in general? Sounds like the kind of structures you're talking about.

I don't, but I'll check it out!

i love you too

We need a permanent Dungeon Synth thread. Evry other DS release goes on BC and BC thread is only for something called shogauzer and hwn so it is not worth it talking about DS there.

I cannot decide between the sarcasm anymore, you guys have broken me.

Like chaucerian myth and sunn o))?

Are you explaining what Meshuggah are doing but with drums instead of guitar.

If you get someone to play boring grunge riffs in a blackmetal fashion and have a base that funks along with the drums it could be interesting. But it needs to be spiced with some dungeonsynth. Maybe as intro and outro to every song. Or just inmixed with the drum and guitarr. Maybe scrap the base and use synth instead. The guitarr could play just two tone chords and drone along and the synth could make all the melodies and the drums could make all the action. But it need to be Dungeon Synth.

since this gained a tiny bit of traction, here's a youtube link to it if that's anyone's cup of tea instead. I'll also upload any other ones I do on yt too

shit forgot the link

youtube.com/watch?v=_4GRe5I71Tk

I just used old soundfonts

Fief II is one of my favourite albums, so I deeply recommend you listen to it

I've been listening to Fief II constantly for the past week. Do you have any recs for similar stuff?

Pretty killer.

Holy fuck, this is suprisingly good. Well done dude

have you heard mortiis crypt of the wizard?

it is the best rhythmic dungeon synth album ever in my mind. I rec this because I enjoy fief like you do.

YES! it's Dungeon Synth thread again.

I don't see the similarities with Meshuggah.

I meant creating the backdrop with repeating, maybe even droning chords or apreggios.

They use guitarrs for rythm rather than melodies. Don't mind that rhought.

Well yeah a guitar that drones just 1 or two chords with just staight 4/4 and a synth giving it some tension. Just two key chords or droning D an playing like old style Dorian mode with one finger. And live drums doing the storytelling.

Try it.

this is p gud

Moaning Shadows

Thank you. I have seen this cover before but imagined it was TurboNegro Dungeon Synth. This was great. Thank you. More tips please.

if you came to DS not from BM then you should get cancer