Is buying a used laptop a good idea? I'm in the market for a laptop and I can't decide what to get, but 500 is my limit...

Is buying a used laptop a good idea? I'm in the market for a laptop and I can't decide what to get, but 500 is my limit. Now I've seen a few new ones that aren't bad on paper. However, on eBay I could land some pretty powerful laptops for around this price. But is buying used a good idea? How long do elitebooks and other laptops usually last? I'm a noob when it comes to laptops and xkmouter hardware. I've only owned one laptop and that lasted maybe 3 years before it got fucked.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xi9rNrQlXo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Question is, what's your usage profile?
Also, average laptops only lasts 2-3 years, depending on usage. Their batteries only 1-2 years.

Buy an apple

Meaning how much I would use it? I just enrolled in school again but even so I'm on my phone browsing the internet when I'm home, so I'd imagine hours daily. And that's pretty much what I figured, so it wouldn't be worth getting a used one right? Is it worth getting an expensive laptop period or should I just get a cheap one? I do want performance and more bang for buck but not if the thing is gonna go to shit after 2 years anyway

Apple are too expensive and too much walled garden and only compatible to itself

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xi9rNrQlXo

I'd rather not get an apple personally

Why are you posting this faggotry in my thread?

No, what I mean is, what do you use it for?
Surfing? Farcebook? Office typing? Gaming? Music creation? Drawing/painting/art? 3D cad engineering? Programming?

Mostly browse the web, write shit for school, play some games here and there

Okay, that's a start, what kind of games are you playing? FLASH-based? Browser games? 3D games? 2D games?

Also, do you have an iPhone or Android based phone?

Probably just flash, but I was thinking of maybe buying some PC games. I haven't really made up my mind. I definitely want to pick up Morrowind and I saw some other good options, but I don't want to spend too much money. I'm pretty set on 500. Also I have an Android

Okay, first thing, you won't get far with 500 bucks for a 3D gaming computer. You'll need about twice that amount, because 3D graphic cards in laptops drive tremendously the price up.

What I can suggest for you isn't a laptop per say, but a Chromebook, think of it a mix between a Tablet and a laptop.
Have a look at a
ASUS CHROMEBOOK FLIP C302
SAMSUNG CHROMEBOOK PRO
those I would recommend for your usage profile.
My wife has the asus chromebook flip, and she swears by it.
For all your office needs you use Google DRIVE , it also utilizes the Android Play Store (which opens a fuckton of possibilities) screen can be flipped around to be a tablet, keyboards is backlit. Touchscreen.
If you need to handwrite a lot or draw a lot, get the Samsung chromebook pro, if not, the asus flip.
They're nearly unhackable and most secure devices out there, battery last about 10 hours, and are lightweight and sturdy.
Microsoft is only useful for corporate Enterprises and on its dying way out

So Chromebooks have strong batteries? I've never heard this before. What if I get two laptops, one for school and one for gaming? I just don't want to spend over a grand and then it's like, oh okay I'm not using this thing like I thought I would be lol. I'm planning to get an Xbox one anyway too. But if I get one for school stuff, would a cheaper one be fine or is there an ideal range price wise?

If you don't mind typing on cummy keys...

Chrome books have no memory or Windows. But you can use chrome or google docs which makes it perfect for school. Cheap and very fast since no true operating system. I would recommend desktop for gaming and a chromebook for school. Gaming laptops are expensive bc you're paying a premium for the portability

Used desktop parts are probably better than a used laptop

Wait for black Friday sales.

Buyba used republic of gamers. Gtg

unless you're after battery life, yes

you might even be lucky enough and buy from someone who didn't properly wipe their drive and left some valuable crap inside

Chromebooks are the perfect companion for mobile (!) Office anywhere and anytime. K12 has adopted to them like crazy (that and Google CLASSROOM services) they're inexpensive (start at around 200) durable and lightweight and can't be fucked with (unless user allows to) the ones I suggested are high-end (around 500 bucks)
If you're really into gaming, don't go with a console, but go with a DESKTOP PC instead. Build one yourself via pcpartpicker.com and logicalincrements.com those sites will help to build one proper according to your budget and check that the components fit well with each other

Nah fam
Get like a 2 year old ROG. Play games, process office stuff. Live life. Is good. I still rock my used g50vt. Works for anything I wanna do

So you're saying a desktop would be cheaper and better for gaming? I feel like I'd rather have the laptop, I don't want a desktop taking up a shitload of space plus I'd like to have the laptop with me if I ever need it, like on a plane or something.
That's too far away, I at least need something for school within the week
That's actually why I didn't want a used one at first. I don't really like the idea of another person having one before me doing who knows what with it lol.
How tough is it to build one? I mean I like gaming but I'm not super heavy into it either.

I have purchased several laptops (ThinkPads, actually) from eBay and each of them turned out to work fine and was a great deal.

I recommend buying from a well established seller who offers a money back guarantee in case there's a problem.

How long did they last you? I'm sure I'd find a solid deal, it's how long they last that's I'm wondering

If you follow the how-to manuals it's like putting together/assemble an IKEA wardrobe.
I recommend against a gaming laptop. Too heavy, too pricey and battery life is shit (2-3 hour at the max).
Gaming laptops can't be upgraded, they stuck and fixed at a certain level (unless you pay 1500 bucks plus, those laptops have upgradeable components modularity)
As I said earlier Chromebooks are your mobile companion. Yes they differ from what you know/used to. And that's where most people have issues with. Windows has been dominating the market since the late 80s/early 90s, but technology has gone a great way since then.
Not to mention that Google services are made for collaboration across the globe, something that Microsoft is still fighting with to get fully integrated. Perfect for group tasks/homework.

Each of them lasted around 2 years. Keep in mind I'm really hard on laptops. Even new ones last around the same amount of time in my hands.

Unless you know the ins and outs of computing technology, it's russian roulette to find good deals that last.
>Keep in mind I'm really hard on laptops
That's an extremely non-descript metric

Okay I think I'm getting it now. I'll look into the chrome book and desktop PC. Thanks for the help user
I figured that they wouldn't last more than three years anyway, but I was kinda hopeful. Oh well