Americans believe all illness is a consequence of moral failure and should be punished as such

>Americans believe all illness is a consequence of moral failure and should be punished as such

Hm, who would have anticipated that if a bunch of religious extremists arrived by boat and slaughtered an entire continent of people their descendants would end up believing some bizarre shite?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_Prohibiting_Importation_of_Slaves
youtube.com/watch?v=GJbnG6Bb5LY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Americans have this weird Calvinst streak I've never understood and don't really want to.

It's incredibly fucked up logic, but you see it everywhere. It's not often said openly in the Republican Party, but there's an unspoken understanding that poor people are to blame for being poor and they should suffer for it.

Congressmen/Senators won't say it, but normal right-wing pundits like Ben Shapiro will literally say "it's your fault you're poor" and alt-right commentators like that Milo guy wear shirts that say "stop being poor". It's an incredibly fucked up mindset.

You already do understand, it's literally Calvinism and other Christian movements like it. They've always formed the cornerstone of American culture.

these politicians are completed retards. With the way our food system is, you can eat healthy and still get sick due to the pesticides and other shit in it.

Indeed. Also there's the salient consideration that the presentation of many costly diseases such as cystic fibrosis or sickle cell anemia have literally nothing to do with one's lifestyle but are rather accidents of birth.

It's some variation on the Protestant work ethic. It derives from those religious extremists.

Where I live, poor people are usually lazy sacks of shit. They don't want to work, take care of their homes, or even their own health. Why would I want to pay for that? If you want to, then by all means, go ahead. Leave me the fuck out of it.

I'm reasonably certain that by "good" he means healthy. Completely understandable mistake given your flag desu.

He's correct, generally speaking. There's significantly more people whom lead unhealthy lives and get sick because of it than healthy people who fall ill unexpectedly.

>using whom to denote the subject of the sentence

Opinion discarded lol

>Hm, who would have anticipated that if a bunch of idiots nobody wanted arrived by boat and mixed like there was no tomorrow with all kinds of subhumans their descendants would end up believing some bizarre shite?

I was arguing with an American a month ago and he said dying without healthcare is noble
Lmao fuck my country

Contrary to popular belief, Sven, most "white" Americans are just European mutts rather than Amerindian or Ghanaian KANGZ.

>These dumbass republicans pushing their religious extremism down our throats

Could you fucking not

I don't see anything wrong with this
I mean those who are healthy shouldn't pay as much as the obese alcoholics

AJAJAJAAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

an AmericANO, seniores!

>natives were slaughtered by religious extremists
>the majority of americans were puritans

>american education

Blacks and Mexicans are more likely to be obese than any other ethnic group in America. Blacks and Mexicans are more likely to have diabetes and heart disease than any other ethnic group in America. Blacks and Mexicans are more likely to be on publicly-funded healthcare than any other group.

I'm not saying "lol, fuck people who need health insurance". But those two diseases are two of the most common killers of all Americans and two of the largest causes of healthcare spending. And they are almost entirely down to personal choice. We need a concerted government campaign discouraging people from eating shitty fast food, just like we had a campaign to discourage people to smoke (for the exact same reasons, btw).

>Puritans were the only influential religious extremists in the early history of the US
>fringe Protestant doctrines did not figure in the development and influence of manifest destiny

AJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

a LeafANO scholar, seniores!

How exactly is this untrue? Are the hysterical women crying about "Calvinism" in this thread prepared to argue that eating garbage food and living a sedentary couch potato lifestyle doesn't cause a very significant part of preventable medical conditions?

>slaughtered an entire continent of people

This is an absurd exaggeration. Nearly all of the natives died of diseases spread unintentionally by Europeans. If there was a huge native population that the Europeans had tried to murder, then the US would look like Peru. North America was very sparsely populated to begin with, and the diseases wiped nearly all of the inhabitants out.

This whole '"colonists committed genocide you guys" meme is ridiculous. It's on par with saying that rats committed genocide against Europeans during the Black Death/Bubonic Plague. In both cases, literally all they had to do was show up and the people would just start dropping dead, although in Europe "only" 40% of the population died while in North America somewhere between 80% and 95% of the population died.

>It's an incredibly fucked up mindset.
No, it's not. Do you know any poor people? They usually have fucked up priorities, and they frequently make bad decisions.

Not all preexisting conditions are preventable or the result of being a lardass my dear Moortuguese

Having a think

>their descendants
Virtually no Americans are descended from settlers; we're mostly descended from immigrants.
t. descended from settlers

>Blacks and Mexicans are more likely to be obese than any other ethnic group in America.

It's kind of funny how the media in the US and worldwide portrays a fat American as a white lady on a mobility scooter, when more often than not it's a black or a mexican.

This isn't just about fatass diseases though. If Congress was cutting healthcare for diseases caused by being a fat fuck, I'd be 100% on board, because that is completely on you. This is about all preexisting conditions.

No you can't

>yankees brought slaves over
>now theyre stuck with millions of jiggy niggys
>fight the civil war so the south remains
>those cousin fucking retards will now ruin healthcare, the environment, workers rights and everything else that makes america 1st world
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breaths in* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Vox

This

Fat people have no one to blame but themselves

I can trace my lineage back to a North Carolinean slave overseer from the 18th century

ahhhh so this is why you incarcerate and kill your poor

>like that Milo guy wear shirts that say "stop being poor"
That obnoxious cunt was born into wealth and doesn't have to work a day in his life. Man, what a prick.

Yes, and for every guy with cystic fibrosis there's a hundred with type 2 diabetes.

I'm not against universal healthcare, but do give me a break if you're going to pretend the unhealthy aren't usually that way because of their own behaviour.

Literally nothing is wrong with his statement

Look at the math

Healthy people get sick less often so mathematically it makes sense

Being healthy for cheap is hilariously easy

I should not have to pay for your shitty choices

>Virtually no Americans are descended from settlers

Not exactly true. I think Americans descended from settlers are a minority, but not by that much.

>12% of the population is black (and since the slave trade was banned in 1805 nearly all of them can trace their ancestry from pre-colonial times)
>About 20% of the population is of English/Scottish/Northern Irish descent, nearly all of them tracing their roots back to pre-revolution times. These are the New England and Deep South whites named Johnson/Jackson/Williams/etc.

You're right that we're mostly immigrants, but it's not fair to say that virtually no Americans are descended from settlers.

No, that would be so private prisons can make money

Yeah, and my family roots in this country go back to English settlers in 1680s Virginia. Nonetheless, we're exceptional in that regard.
I'm not even white t'bh (mixed race)

>yankees brought slaves over

This isn't true. Slaves were overwhelmingly brought by wealthy Southerners, who paid Europeans or other Southerners to go to Africa and get the slaves.

>Hm, who would have anticipated that if a bunch of religious extremists arrived by boat and slaughtered an entire continent of people

I hate to break it to you, but every since existing "tribe" of people is where they are today because they extinguished other tribes and took their resources.

The Romans destroyed countless cultures. So did the the Aztecs. So did the Babylonians. So did the Han Chinese. So did the Indians. So did the Arabs. So did the Danes/vikings. So did the Turks.

Might has always been right, you pussy. It's the default behavior of humanity, not the exception.

>the slave trade was banned in 1805
Not so fast my savage traitorous yankee friend. That would be the superior british that banned any new purchases in 1805. You idiots waited until 1865 and killed millions of each other first.

United Statians*

>come up with a healthcare plan that effectively takes money away from old fat poor people and gives it to, like, the trump children
>flip the fuck out and become literally apoplectic when the ex-first lady tried to make school lunch give kids a fucking salad every once in a while

Hmmm. Hmmmmmm

>With the way our food system is, you can eat healthy and still get sick due to the pesticides and other shit in it.

>this is what greens actually believe

What next, are you going to display your subpar knowledge of science to say "nuuuucler energiez is bad!!" too?

lol

>might makes right
>mmm yeah i love military-industrial complex cock

This

>republicans
not even once

You just said it yourself you dumb fuck. Most of them ARE on publicly funded healthcare. So why can't EVERYONE get on that shit? Our tax dollars are already going to the healthcare of poor, uneducated and unhealthy people. Why not to the rest of us?

>I'm reasonably certain that by "good" he means healthy.
Nigger please. These are religious conservative types and you know damn well what they mean. When Americans talking heads use euphemisms like "he was a good man", "they are good people", etc. it is usually an insinuation about traditional Americana, which is hard working, community driven, highly religious. The sort of "good people" who give up their lives to work as a slave for family and faith.
This is not a secular context that American political rhetoric operates within.

I call all Americans yankees. That north south divide is your problem, not mine.

Seeing a black or a mexican on those scooters is extremely rare.

>hurr durr pay for my healthcare while I slack off

Fuck off fatass, hit the gym.

The colonists who arrived in North America didn't slaughter an entire continent. Where the fuck did this narrative come from? Is it some bizarre combination of leftists blaming whites for everything and nazis wanting to pretend that their ancestors were really great at genocide?

The Natives dropped dead en masse from diseases spread unintentionally. I wasn't a deliberate slaughter, it was

>hey, this is a nice place
>oh, there are some people here, let's talk to them
>5 years later
>shit nearly all of them just dropped dead. Weird. Ok, this is ours now, time to kill off the stragglers.

The natives died off at insane rates all over the Americas, but North America (where the US/Canada are, of course) were exceptional because of how sparsely populated the region was to begin with, for various reasons.

Are americans really this stupid or are you pretending?
Most of those empires took over the countries they annexed and ruled over them under a new system or even under the old system.
They didn't genocide the population than bring their own people to repopulate the land.

>as he says posting from a country that took land away from the First Nations
>territory equal to 9,984,670 km2, the second largest in the world

I'm afraid you can't post until you erase every instance of Canadian "might made right" from your history. Otherwise, you're a hypocrite.

This

Make them pay for themselves and see if they're still fat

>the government should pay for my things

This entire mentality is stupid and needs to stop. The USA needs to go back to 1900, slash taxes across the board, scrap income tax, and get the fuck out of healthcare altogether.

pay ur denbts before shittalking anyone

Not so fast, my leaf friend. The United States banned the slave trade in 1807, the law went into effect in 1808.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_Prohibiting_Importation_of_Slaves

Slavery itself obviously survived beyond that, but my point is that nearly all black Americans can trace their ancestry before this act and before the revolution itself.

We have far more generous treaties with the natives than you do. We never tried to genocide all of them and we actually honour our treaties unlike you. One of the reasons you uppity fags rebelled is because you wanted to rape and murder all the natives but the British told you to fuck off and honour the treaties

I'm saying that we should be focusing on making them not be fat fucks. Then we'll have enough money left over to cover everyone. Put a tax on fast food, and exempt unhealthy food from SNAP/food stamps. Best-case scenario, Laquisha and Juanita go to a fucking grocery store to buy their kids real food instead of McDonald's. Worst-case scenario, they keep going to McDonald's but now we have more public funds to give everyone government-funded healthcare.

>America should go back to 1900
Get back in your grave Edison

>We have far more generous treaties with the natives than you do.

Ah yes, I see, you gave them back all of the land you stole. Hypocrite.

I always feel like at least AKP, United Russia etc. are a genuine response to something. Secular Turks and the military really did fuck a lot of things up and destroy democracy. Yeltsin really did steal, idk, a trillion dollars?

The republicans are just civil rights revanchism and backlash against a boring centrist management party

No taxes

Just make them pay for their healthcare and it will stop

We should not step in and help

Most americans I've seen so far have lead me to belive otherwise.

>Most of those empires took over the countries

sweet summer child

do you know what happened in ancient and medieval times when a besieged city didn't surrender?

Democrats are far left

I didn't steal shit and no one alive had their shit stolen. Shouldn't you be at an idle no more protest or something?

don't see anything about ALL illness

and he's right

fuck off back to leftypol, only some faggot from there would go read anything from vox

>They didn't genocide the population than bring their own people to repopulate the land.

Neither did American settlers. The natives died off en masse because they had zero immunity to smallpox, a common disease among Europeans at the time. The notion that there was some concerted genocide effort is absurd.

The closest the US came to this was the 100,000 Native Americans that our government murdered (and boasted about, btw) between 1800 and 1900. But there were millions of Native Americans living in North America before the Europeans arrived. The people the US government and American settlers murdered were a drop in the bucket.

Well shiiiiiit negro i learned something new today. Britain still beat you to it though.

>Just make them pay for their healthcare and it will stop

But then you're hurting so many people who need healthcare because of other things. People who get cancer, who have broken limbs or other injuries, things like that.

If you're talking about not giving healthcare to people above a certain weight threshold....then I would 100% be on board with that. If you're over 300lbs and you don't have a medical disorder causing it that can be scientifically proven, you don't get healthcare. I'd be 100% ok with that.

>things i dont like are leftypol
t. Sup Forumsnigger

It makes sense within the private system. The discussion should be what system you want

That's what I was talking about

Any BMI over a certain threshold

I read trump admitted earlier that Australia's public system is much better than the American one

I'm arguing against the dumb narrative of how genocide was the norm in the empires of the past.
stick to reading fiction and not commenting on history

Would Americans be OK with some sort of universal healthcare that refuses treatment for clinically obese people with diabetes or smokers with cancer? That way you're not paying for people's bad choices.

he's not wrong though. people who eat well and stay in shape get sick less often

Sven, this is a nation where things like "faith healing" are disproportionately popular.

>I didn't steal shit and no one alive had their shit stolen.

Yet you are the descendant of those who did steal and murder. Might makes right. It's the default of human history. You the prime benefactor and nothing you say particularly matters so long as you are still benefitting. If you want the moral high ground, give up your Canadian citizenship and move to a country that is "pure"

hint: you're not going to find one, because human history since day 0 has been characterized by killing each other over resources

What of you're swole as fuck like schwartsinigger? Muscles weigh a lot

>We need a concerted government campaign discouraging people from eating shitty fast food
I just find it hard to imagine this would work.

>Ain't no commie gonna tell me how to eat
youtube.com/watch?v=GJbnG6Bb5LY

obesity and smokers with cancer yes, diabetes can be caused by other things though

Americans are too stupid to see how flexible vice taxes would fix the issue.

They get kidney and liver problems

Go on private if you wanna be ripped

The whole concept of "free market healthcare" is retarded. It doesn't work the same way as normal products and services.

If you can't afford a car, then take the bus. If you can't afford expensive clothes, wear the cheap stuff. If you have a broken arm and you can't afford treatment....do you just walk around with a broken arm for the rest of your life? What if you have cancer? Or cataracts? Or anything else like that?What choice do you have?

Ok u cool

You have no empathy for these people because you assume everything you read about them on the Sup Forums. Just wait until you're off mommy's insurance bub. You'll pay hundreds a month for a shitty health plan that will *maybe* cover you. Hey, but at least those lazy niggers don't get health insurance from you, right?
Oh wait, they're all on fucking Medicaid already and you pay for that shit!! Hahaha you fucking idiot.

I think they would be more for it but most Americans believe the free market is better at allocating resources to begin with. Looking at the state of the US government in the past 2 decades its hard not to agree.

Vice taxes for food? Yeah that's not going to work.

It would encourage financial planning and bring down costs

Well, smokers and morbidly obese people are a drain for public healthcare, there's no doubt of it. And both those conditions are understood by society to the point tobacco companies are forced to put pictures of fucking diseased organs on their packs, and food companies have to put a sticker on how much fat and sugars there is on their products.
People that eat healthy, maintain a good hygiene and do excersise are the ideal citizen on a public healthcare society.

Did that politician said literally something god related or it's the media taking it out of proportion?

>I'm arguing against the dumb narrative of how genocide was the norm in the empires of the past.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood you, sorry.

Candy, pastries and sugared drinks.

>And they are almost entirely down to personal choice
The choice isn't as personal as you think when there are corporate forces spending billions of dollars every year in order to influence your average lowest common denominator person how to think and behave.
Don't be naive here; you and I know that is isn't remotely that clean cut. You want government to take action? Look at the action they take: heavily subsidise the agricultural industries which general billions in profit for growing low cost sugar supplies. When it comes to politicians, they listen to lobbying groups before anyone else, because politicans are people just like you and me and they aren't really in a position to understand long term consequences when their very careers rely on pander to short term issues all the while being offered kickbacks from corporate interests to manipulate legislation in return for personal wealth and benefits most people will never get offered in their life. You expect them to say no? Come on man, that's not how people operate.
You can't simply hope to get government to focus on tackling obesity when they aren't willing to throw away their careers by going against the interests of those who fund their political parties. The tax payers aren't their real masters; the financial crisis and response showed the world that in a pretty fucked up manner.
These are people capable of being involved in crashing world economies and then turning around to receive billions of dollars from the government, some of those key responsible individuals even ending up being employed by the government when in reality, a normal citizen would be facing life without parole.
The only way for obesity and the underscoring lifestyle culture to be addressed is if there was a way to make healthy food more profitable than both the current insurance and agriculture industries. People don't matter in capitalist societies, only money holds value. Human lives are merely long term transactions.

Im the grandson of italian immigrants so not even my ancestors stole from the natives. I also don't own any land so nice try burger boy but not quite.

I was talking about Medicaid

I can't argue with that logic honestly.

A cirrhotic patient will not get a liver transplant if he was an alcoholic.
An amputated limb will not be put back if the amputation was a result of self-harm attempt.

If you're a bad driver with a history of collisions, your car insurance goes through the fucking roof.
I don't see why the same logic couldn't be applied to people who deliberately live a bad lifestyle.