/prod/ - Music Production

808 Deep State edition

Welcome to /prod/, a place to discuss music production, sound design, engineering and all things related. Discussion is encouraged, elitism is mocked.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/ or instaud.io/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback. DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback!

--------------------------------------------------

>Production Resources
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

>/prod/ Wiki - Guides and Tutorials
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>The Art of Mixing
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

>Intro to Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/2gb4amyo
clyp.it/ydvj2bvj
clyp.it/d0ksaggo
youtu.be/tWy0k4vTDqg?t=66
musicradar.com/news/tech/blast-from-the-past-digidesign-turbosynth-646807
synthtopia.com/content/2017/08/09/deadmau5-teases-hardware-serum-synthesizer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i wonder who alex jones ghost produces for

He's Burial

Moby obviously.

Would it be weird/dumb to include two different versions of the same song on one project? I created two versions of a song and I actually can't choose between which version I'd wanna use.

Could you give someone who was interested in producing a summary on how to get started?

I'm reading everything but I'm very overwhelmed

My goal is to become signed as a singer (I'm writing songs and singing so far), but I need to produce tracks to send them to labels before I can do that

If that's your goal you're going about it the wrong way desu. Hook up with people who need singers and build up a good portfolio.

No it happens all the time

Watch pensado's place and mix with the masters on youtube. Google artist tips on production, pertaining to what style you want, tape op website and SOS, stuff like that

Read a few dense books on mixing, creative effects, recording etc that come recommended - don't just pick random educational books, many of them are poorly structured and you'll reach a chapter where it expects you to know something that's only explained later in the book because they fucked up the order and you'll just waste time thinking you're stupid not knowing they messed it up.

Set aside a few months where your main focus is the production/mixing side, do very short practice sessions on your instrument or singing to prevent atrophy, record melodies, riffs and ideas on the fly but set aside most of the day for production. Only way to truly get it under your belt and not just forget everything is to focus solely on building that skill for quite a while.

Get a hold of dry multitracks from remix competitions or mixing exercises you can find in online magazines or CDs etc. Practice mixing other people's stuff so you focus solely on that rather than having to write something worth mixing. Then once you get good at that go back to songwriting so you know how to supercharge your stuff once you lay down the skeleton.

tl;dr don't try and do everything at once because it will take longer. do eras of specialization til you get each area up to scratch

clyp.it/2gb4amyo

new producer how is this?

Maybe this question doesn't fit here, sorry
But I have an M-Audio Keystation
Do you think this is an acceptable substitute for buying a traditional keyboard?
(I use Pianoteq)

clyp.it/ydvj2bvj

this is good.

what daw?

clyp.it/d0ksaggo

ty! fl 11

Any one have any idea about how to create NiN scratchy synth sounds Trent likes to use so much?

Like the sound that comes in at 1:10
youtu.be/tWy0k4vTDqg?t=66

I think the droney stuff that was the hallmark of NiN since 1994 was inspired by loveless so I can only guess that it's stuff like reverse reverbs, tape echo, fuzz pedals, probably pitching it down in a sampler and setting loop points to sustain it

also I forgot to mention of course it's a guitar (sometimes it might be a reamped synth) and he used something called turbosynth on the guitars for TDS musicradar.com/news/tech/blast-from-the-past-digidesign-turbosynth-646807

It explains modern day equivalents are stuff like reaktor which I know reznor used since with teeth

synthtopia.com/content/2017/08/09/deadmau5-teases-hardware-serum-synthesizer/

would you buy a hardware version of serum /prod/?

Thanks for the info, I'll give those ideas a try - hopefully I can do something similar with guitar rig.

try a stomp compressor -> tape echo -> transamp -> reflektor reverse reverb chain

I threw it in and even on INIT settings it's basically exactly what I'm looking for, god damn.

I was stuck building block synths in reaktor trying to get anything close to this for a while now, I was way off the mark.

Thanks a fuckton my man.

do you guys cut your sub off at 30hz or 60hz?

>catch a flu
>can't hear shit
fuck me

Personally, no. You can't even use it without a pc.
If money is no question, get a proper workstation keyboard like the KORG KRONOS