Ireland

Is there any support in Ireland for it to join the United Kingdom again and the commonwealth or would that support be very small?

What do most Irish think?

There is not a chance in hell of Ireland rejoining the UK, and if you went around Ireland asking they'd laugh in your face. It's like South Korea voluntarily rejoining Japan.

Yeah but Ireland would be better off if they did, and so would Korea.

>South Korea voluntarily rejoining Japan
They should desu

I'd sooner burn the country to the ground than rejoin the UK.

We had a Senator here call for us to think about rejoining the Commonwealth and he was pretty much told to fuck off by everyone else in the country.

I'll kill any Westbrit cunt that even thinks about joining the UK.

I'd rather shit in my hands and clap

>Ireland would be better off
No we fucking wouldn't. Northern Ireland left with about 60% of the entire country's industrial output, but now the Republic has 4 times NI's output with a little over 2 times the population.

We're wealthier than almost every other region in the UK. Joining it would mean we'd have to subsidise the Scottish, Northern English, Welsh, Southwestern English and Northern Ireland.

How in the FUCK would we be better off? We'd be poorer with less say in how our country is run.

If you think anyone gives a fuck about muh global relevance, you need your head checked.

Isn't this the traditional method of celebration in Ireland ?

they made their choice, fucking kraut sympathisers made their bed, now they can sleep in it. honestly we should have just levelled the country in the 20s. if they joined again westminster would end their tax haven status and then their economy would fall apart. why would we want to subsidise another region?

Literally no one wants to rejoin with the UK.

About as likely as Finns wanting to rejoin Sweden.

You've been on EU bennies for thirty years retard

Fuck you sweden

I want to rejoin with the UK, to be quite honest with you family.

No thanks

B-but I'm Anglo

lol

An IRA murder crew has been sent to your location

Why do Irish people hate brits so much?

I wouldn't mind.. If you gave us seats in parliaments..... But we know how that turned out last time.

Absolutely howling at this question

The best you would get are Anglophiles like the Reform Group who want to join the Commonwealth and to have British citizenship but hardly anybody has heard of them let alone are they taken seriously.

The cultural similarity you see between Irish and English people is mostly out of laziness, carried over from the 19th century cultural destruction and the prevalence of English media. There is no real explicit desire to be closer to Britain.

>Why do Irish people hate brits so much?
Mostly because of you quite frankly

Officially joining with the UK would be unnecessary tbqh. We already share intelligence, do joint military exercises, have a shared commitment to defend one another if attacked, Americans basically own half the Premier League, and we are single-handedly keeping half of all British actors and singers off the street.

Britain invaded and conquered their country, then treated them like second-class citizens while making a concerted effort to replace them with settlers and ruling them with an iron fist.

>UK
No we're ethnically and culturally different from them so it wouldn't make sense, the main link I can think of is language. Besides we have a sweet deal as it is, being a tax haven combined with our small population means we have a higher GDP per capita than the UK. Other than this, there are other factors in our favour such as the fact we're less of a Nanny state or that we have a more homogeneous population

>Commonwealth
No, this would just enable West Asian immigrants that we can't sustain

>west asian
stop that

What's the correct term? Southest Asian?

paki

Is it pronounced pah-key, or pek-eye?

pah-key

The only way Ireland would rejoin with Britain is through military intervention, a full scale invasion.

Thanks.

was any of that wrong though

Largely down to the Normans, desu, who were utter cunts to everyone, not least the Saxons.

Bit perplexed by this statement considering most of the egregious shit came after the Tudor conquest

Still the Norman ruling class and the attitudes they inculcated.

Scotland has been on English bennies for 310 years and look at how that's turned out retard

Because not only did they destroy our Gaelic identity and genocide us twice, but they refuse to even acknowledge it. They act as if we're behaving irrationally and that we'll eventually come around to their way of thinking and "come home".

They're a shower of self-righteous cunts who throw a temper tantrum when they don't get their way - they pretend to have put their notions behind them but just scratch a little bit under the surface and their superiority complex comes rearing its ugly head again.

They've voted to leave the EU and expect us to follow them, and when we tell them we don't want to leave, they throw their toys out of the pram and scream about how we're Merkel's lap dog.

They're just a shower of cunts, honestly.

None of the egregious shit you think happened actually happened.
The soldiers Cromwell fought at Drogheda weren't Irish
Queen Victoria didn't give £5 for tater relief
etc

We should adopt England as a new state after the union collapses

What makes you think English people would want that

What makes you think that what English people want is relevant?

I love Ireland

I wasn't even talking about siege of Drogheda. The plantations and the conditions that led to and exacerbated the famine are bad enough by themselves.

desu all that shit was years ago, it's time to move on

p.s. if you stay in the eu you are merkels lapdog, no two ways about it

Funny thing is whether Ireland likes or not, the UK will have to protect them in the unlikely event of something happening. They've got no navy or airforce to shout about.

>They've voted to leave the EU and expect us to follow them, and when we tell them we don't want to leave, they throw their toys out of the pram and scream about how we're Merkel's lap dog.

I'm not aware of one single person who thinks that. Why on Earth would we expect you to leave the EU? Stop making shit up, you have plenty of reasons to dislike us without making shit up.

>None of the egregious shit you think happened actually happened.
Are you retarded? You fucking sliced up most of Ulster, you deliberately pursued a policy of plunging Irish families into poverty by forcing each family to evenly divide all their land among their sons (whereas Protestants gave their estate to their eldest), you actively destroyed the Gaelic language and culture by banning education and attacking Priests who tried to teach through Irish.

You fuckers were atrocious niggers.

>Stop making shit up
I've had English people say it to me. Of course you wouldn't have heard it, you're not here you moronic fuck.
>all that shit was years ago
Bloody Sunday. Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

How many British soldiers in WW1 were Irish?

it's not worth bringing up the troubles considering you did equally as heinous shit to us

and what's worse is you did it to british citizens in england that had no desire to do anything to ireland

and again, it's in the past. move on.

I find it interesting how much attention Ireland gets given that the Irish don't seem to feel much guilt over the Gaelic conquest and colonisation of western Scotland. What's the difference?

I think there was like 200,000 volunteers from the South and 100,000 from the North - though only like 50,000 were combat troops, it was mostly nurses/doctors and other shit I think.

>I've had English people say it to me.
You've had English people in Ireland telling you to leave the EU? Sounds like a great way to get your head kicked in.

Thanks.

none they were all hiding

>They're a shower of self-righteous cunts who throw a temper tantrum when they don't get their way - they pretend to have put their notions behind them but just scratch a little bit under the surface and their superiority complex comes rearing its ugly head again.

Oy Vey, The Leprechaun know.

In Germany, in Ireland, on the internet. There's a plethora of annoying fuckers.

>What's the difference?
The Picts were married into and converted into Gaeldom, they weren't genocided m8

>How many British soldiers in WW1 were Irish?

Not very many. 16th Division was Irish nationalists and 36th Division were Ulstermen. There would have been some Irishmen in other regiments but nothing like what it was in the 17th-18th centuries when a third of the army was Irish. There was no conscription in Ireland.

apart from nationalistic and historical reasons joining the UK offers no benefits to us
Just look at the UK. Pretty much everywhere bar southern England and is an underfunded, poor shithole.

wrong
There were 200K soldiers from the republic and there were 50K casualties. The majority were soldiers on the frontlines

>when a third of the army was Irish
Why such a huge number? Surely they were way less populous than the rest of the kingdom even then? Is what the Irish guy is saying true and you were trying to "cull" them with this conscription?

That just sounds like you're dodging and whitewashing conquest. The Picts were so thoroughly vanquished from history that we don't even know what language family they belonged to. Is that not more than you can say for Gaelic?

Everyone who was oppressed by Britain is dead now and every British person who oppressed Irish people is also dead now.

Stop being a literal nigger and complaing about shit that didn't happen to you or anyone you know. You're no different than modern African Americans complaining about slavery.

Britain is now our main trade partner and ally. If anyone ever happened Ireland,Britain would be the first to help us. Both of our countries are now secular and democratic. Stop living in a past that no longer exists and move on you fucking idiot.

Your future King and Queen met our current King, and they seemed to get along quite well. Maybe a royal marriage could unite our nations? One of Lebron's kids marrying one of Will & Kate's kids down the line?

Or maybe I have had too many beers and played too much Europa Universalis III while watching NBA highlights?

>Why such a huge number?
Irish people were impoverished and the military offered a wage.

>Surely they were way less populous than the rest of the kingdom even then?
Not prior to the Famine. I think England had about 12-13 million people, we had around 8 million. It was only after the 1850s that our population rapidly declined.

Not all 200,000 were combat troops. There weren't even enough Irish combat troops to support having their own Irish Corps - they just got amalgamated into the Ulster one.

>Iarsassanach
Go back to London, James.

>anniversary of 1916 last year
>cryptoanglos come out of the woodwork
>talk up "peaceful" parliamentarians like John Redmond who championed the cause of a devolved parliament in Ireland, versus the violent actions of 1916 and the ensuing War of Independence
>tfw John Redmond told young Irish men to go out and kill some Germans who had nothing to do with them just to appease the British Overlords

>If anyone ever happened Ireland,Britain would be the first to help us.

I think America would be the first to help. >Muh heritage runs very deep over here. If Ireland was ever in trouble, you would have thousands of dumb Boston kids named O'Reilly, O'Neil, etc. running over to help you. We really love Ireland. Even in Chicago, which is like 10% Irish at most, we literally dye the river that runs through our city green on St Patty's day

>the troubles aren't in the living memory
wtf

i agree that people shouldn't hate the british for no reason but they're clearly not looking out for our interests
one of the biggest british food chains just yesterday said the UK should embargo Irish beef.

>Not prior to the Famine. I think England had about 12-13 million people, we had around 8 million. It was only after the 1850s that our population rapidly declined.
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness are both dead.

>Everyone who was oppressed by Britain is dead now and every British person who oppressed Irish people is also dead now.
>Stop being a literal nigger and complaing about shit that didn't happen to you or anyone you know.

Irish people were detonating car bombs in the UK only 20 years ago....it's not like we're talking about Amritsar or the Boston Massacre, plenty of people remember this or know people who were part of it.

That's just some greedy board of directors. If the British government had said that,then it would he worrisome.

Wesht Brits. Not even once.

it shows that a portion of the UK public think like that
they dont care you deluded fucker
and why should they? Every country only looks out for its own interests

>it shows that a portion of the UK public think like that

No it doesn't. Has your diet of eating potatoes and drinking fermented potatoes damaged your brain? That greedy board of directors would happily fuck over Brits as easily as they'd fuck over Irishmen.

No. There was no conscription in the UK until 1916. The population of Ireland was quite large until the famine and many Irishmen joined to escape poverty, a chance of loot and adventure just like men from all the poor regions. Even then it wasn't that many, the British army was tiny until WWI, just an Imperial police force really. The Irish like to make on what victims they were but they did their share of looting, raping and murdering in the ranks. See the storming of Badajoz.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I very much doubt it's anything personal from the British public. Remember that so long as you are tied into the EU our country has to treat you as though you're in the EU. (At least this is my understanding)

>muh heritage

You just know Kate is wondering about the size of his dong.

Doesn't really change the fact that the Troubles are well within living memory, especially considering that Martin McGuinness died relatively young.

i dont think most brits dislike us but i also think people who believe we have some sort of "special relationship" are wrong

I've often had a sensible chuckle at the thoght of the 16th division going over the top singing Irish rebel songs while the 36th wore orange sashes and chanted "no surrender". We British have some kind of genius at divide and rule and getting sepoys to fight for us.

one of the irish divisions had a unionist commander who said they were unfit commander but they replaced him with an English commander and he said they were fine kek

As a french/irish canadian living under the eternal anglo, I very well know this pain.

Irish living in the UK can vote in our elections and vice versa. AFAIK that's a unique relationship between two separate countries, pretty much the definition of "special" like it or not.

That's just brits ignoring the fact that ireland is a seperate country

>a french/irish canadian

Kate is pure...although I have to ask, why did they give Will a tiny shirt? Like I know it's for his kid, but surely he deserves his own shirt too?

no not vice versa
the only reason the UK has that law is because the Irish in northern Ireland have to be allowed to vote even though they have irish passports

There are hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens living, working and voting in the UK.

What? I speak french daily, my grandma spoke some gaelic. My mom is from newfoundland and they are basically more celt than the irish in some ways.

A two-time loser. Sucks to be him.

To be honest I don't believe there are any special relationships in the world. But there are very strong economic relations between Ireland and the UK and I can't imagine there is any will to sabotage that or the peace.

*Also, for the record, Lebron's dong is very average. All of America saw it on tv last season when he adjusted his pants at an unfortunate time. Like it's not small, it's just...regular.

I know this whole post is gay as fuck, but whatever.

I know

That's kinda because you kinda gerrymandered the fuck out of our border.

Learn Gaidhlig or Gaeilge

I should... there are even lots of semi-pagan beliefs in my family. My mom literally believes in fairy circles.

you might not actually believe it, but I'm a collins from the same village that michael collins was from. Apparently we were related. My family left just after the famine and he physically resembles a lot of people in my family, including me to an extent.

>To be honest I don't believe there are any special relationships in the world.

I don't think that's really true. Americans would happily fight to defend Britain, your country actually has a higher approval rating here than our own country does. Maybe the Brits don't see it that way, and that's cool, but Americans definitely do. There are a handful of nations in the world that the American people view as actual friends and not just convenient allies. Britain is one of them.

Wow, this thread.

You mean Ireland.

The right of UK citizens to vote in all elections in the Rep of Ireland, local, general & European was decided in a referendum in 1979. Irish citizens have long enjoyed that right in the UK.