I have a friend who only listens to classical music and believes that anyone who listens to any other genre is...

I have a friend who only listens to classical music and believes that anyone who listens to any other genre is culturally retarded, yet she really doesn't know that there are other genres beside the mainstream pop crap you hear on the radio (no joke, she pretty much said that she believes that everyone who doesn't listen to classical music only listens to Lady Gaga, Madonna and similar singers).
I feel like she could really enjoy more obscure genres if only she knew they actually exist, so... what album or artist could help change her mind, /x/?

Pic related because she pretty much thinks and acts like that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M4MY-OTNCOA
youtu.be/_p_tfwTiZeM
youtube.com/watch?v=TKVYEShL2fs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

She's just gonna turn into a Sup Forums drone, can't change a shit personality and attitude

She's right.
Unless she likes Mahler

Can, Faust, Sonic Youth, Frank Zappa, Univers Zéro

Well... What classical does she listen to?

Sounds like she just has a shit personality. Getting her into different music won't change that.

I honestly don't know, she usually refused to talk about what compositions she likes because she doesn't want to talk about her tastes with "people who don't understand". Just asked her, she said she can't answer rn. Hope she actually likes Mahler because else she's gonna say stuff like "only you could ask me if I listen to such horrendous garbage" like she always does with everyone whenever music becomes the discussion's topic.

True that. I care about her but she can really be a huge douche, and not only when it comes to music. Still I'd like to try, maybe that might actually make her a bit more open-minded.

Thank you, definitely gonna introduce them to her as soon as she's in the mood for it.

She sounds like a shallow, snobbish cunt with shit taste

Sounds like she only listens to classical to feel superior, and because no one else knows enough about classical to call her shit out on it.

What's wrong with Mahler, you little piece of crap?

Slap her in the mouth

She's a fucking attention whore, no more to say

she sounds pretty cool. You should ask her to introduce you to some new music.

Sometimes I think about that, too. She goes to a conservatory, and to a kind of high school specialized in the study of music (it's kinda hard to explain it, but in the place in which I live every high school is specialized in a particular field). She always acts snobby because of this, saying that everyone at her school "knows that classical music is the only real music", but I know people from both the conservatory and her class, and the first ones say she's just average good but acts like a genius, and if you go to the instagram profile of people from her class the first things you see are stuff like 90s album covers and pics of singers like Damon Albarn.
The fact that she used to praise Freddie Mercury, the Beatles etc. in middle school (and our music teacher in there loved them) but now says they are fake artists who don't make actual music makes me think that she just goes with the taste of her current music teacher. Kind of a /teacher/ drone. Hope I'm right, because I might be able to make her lowjey enjoy new music even if she says that she hates it.

I actually did, I'm honestly interested in her tastes because I feel like she actually has great taste and is fit for the musical world despite the douchery, even if I don't know much of classical music. But she simply refused to talk about it. She's really moody, so maybe one of these days I'll get her to share her favourite music with me.

Play her some music that sounds really good when translated to strings, then reveal that it came from terrible pop music.

The Durutti Column
Start with the album 'Without Mercy' and branch out from there.

Show her kraut rock,Post rock,Jazz,Prog and some experimental electronic music as well.

>claims to have superior taste
>refuses to say what she likes

That sounds like she's bullshitting or else incredibly insecure. Try asking her opinion on someone universally loved like Mozart or Bach, if she likes it then you have something to work with, if she hates it then she's probably just trying to look super-smart by hating everything that others like. That is, of course, if she can't explain why she dislikes it.

She is probably right, leave her alone.

This is the greatest idea ever.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I swear coming to Sup Forums was a fantastic idea. This is one of the most competent music boards, I discovered a lot of nice albums and it's great to receive music suggestion for this case of my friend.

She sounds like she only pretends to listen to classical music, to be honest.

Here have a suggestion. Problem is she'll probably recognize the source.

youtube.com/watch?v=M4MY-OTNCOA

This actually sounds reminiscent to folk music. Weird.

sounds like she's just going through an insecure pretentious phase. if she's not an autist she will look back one day and cringe at her younger self

Why would one do this? It's not like that classical is seen as hot shit

She is right.
youtu.be/_p_tfwTiZeM

Tbh she sounds like a complete pleb. Even the greatest of classical musicians could still appreciate other genres. Like pic related. Play her some Tatum without telling her what it is and ask her to rate the piano technique

>When asked who the greatest pianist in the world was, Horowitz replied without hesitation, ‘Art Tatum’. Horowitz also said in an interview that ‘If Art Tatum took up classical music seriously, I’d quit my job the next day’.

DON'T CHANGE HER!!
Don't listen to this niggers

>post rock, jazz, prog
why would you recommend her watered down classical?

I don't want to change her, she's a friend of mine and I sincerely care about her. I don't want her to change her taste; I'd just appreciate it if one day she could say "ok, there are other genres aside mainstream pop". She could still hate every other genre aside classical with her guts and I'd have zero problems with it. It's just that being mean and considering people inferior because of their tastes, without even knowing what these tastes are about, is kind of toxic and it has done bad for some of her social relationships, too, and she herself said she thinks she probably treats people too bad sometimes.
Don't worry user, I really really care about her and would never try to turn her into a different person. =)

I don't think she has ever heard one of their songs, so there might be a chance it could work. It would definitely be fun, and maybe she could laugh it off in the end, too.

Tatum is great. She might actually enjoy him, I'll definitely talk about him with her next time I see her. =)

Zeuhl music.
Get ready to delve deep.

>/x/
what did they mean by this

also your friend is lost, especially if she thinks that Lady Gaga and Madonna are still relevant

Progressive/fusiom isn't really watered down.
Notably, the percussion is a marked improvement when tasteful (Bruford for example) and sounds encorporate genres outside the scope of classical, such as early DiMeola/Mclaughlin.

>Progressive/fusiom isn't really watered down
It is
>the percussion is a marked improvement when tasteful (Bruford for example)
Watered down.
>sounds encorporate genres outside the scope of classical, such as early DiMeola/Mclaughlin
Watered down too.

Lmao, just noticed it. I've been browsing both boards lately so I got confused.
Still, gave me the idea to make this.

First, modern percussion encompasses all of classical percussion, so it being watered down is objectively false.
Secondly inspired genres aren't watered down when they incorporate new elements. Watered down would imply a dilution of the same product or material without alteration. This isn't the case with many genres inspired by and infused with classical elements.
Finally, if you're going to go down this retarded path of logic, it least protect it from being pushed to it's logical limits ala reductio ad absurdum -- "classical is just watered down medieval Virelai/Geisslerlieder and medieval transition music."
If we hold to your retarded logic everything is just "watered down" unga bungas banging on rocks.

>inspired genres aren't watered down when they incorporate new elements
this isn't what i immplied
now fuck off retard since your whole post is based on that false premise

Music is mainly in the notes not in the timbre. So that won't work.

That's precisely what you said actually. I mean it's right there in black-and-white, retard. Here, I'll help you:

>post rock, jazz, prog
>why would you recommend her watered down classical?
How retarded can you get? An argument could be made for post-rock being watered down classical I suppose, but jazz/fusion/progressive certainly aren't.

retard, do you even know what watered down means?
fuck off already
all of them are watered down classical, just like post rock

I do. I went through the trouble of defining it for you:
>Secondly inspired genres aren't watered down when they incorporate new elements. Watered down would imply a dilution of the same product or material without alteration.
You can't dilute something by adding new ingredients.
This is the case with jazz, progression, or fusion, because they incorporate things that simply aren't in classical. If you're really sticking to your guns of "well, these genres are watered-down", while doubling-back with statements like "I didn't imply inspired genres are watered down when they incorporate new elements", then I don't know what to say to you, because you clearly don't know fuckall about music.

> highschool
found your problem

Let's put it this way: if you listen to non-classical music while not knowing anything about it, you are culturally retarded.
Also I can assure that she might at best appreciate Sup Forumscore albums, but if she has ever read and studied even a single Bach score, you can be sure that she will always see as children music.
In my conservatory the general consesus among both musicians and composers was that the best rock (and derivatives) music was made by the smartest stupid people on Earth.

Are you italian?

This doesn't apply however:
The force, content, and value of these genres isn't lessened through alteration in any sense -- despite the fact you're ignoring your own statement here; , these genres are inspired and altered with new ingredients that make it new. I say this as a cellist who makes money playing session.
Anyways, if you still want to follow this to it's logical conclusion, remember; everything is just watered-down unga-bungas smashing rocks.

Imagine if someone costantly expected you to listen to '00s pop songs targeted towards teenagers, advertisement jingles and trashy anime OSTs. And imagine if every time you had something bad to say about this worthless music, people around you just start saying shit like "Oh, he's so pretentious" or "Oh, he's faking it, he just want to feel superior".

This is probably what she goes through when OP tells her to listen to Sup Forumscore albums, I can assure you that. She knows too much, she can see through the image and PR and immediatly KNOW what the musicians she is listening to are actually doing with music. The end result is that most music tend to sound extremely tedious and repetitive, and laziness in composition is an absolute standard. It's like listening to children trying to act as adults.

>Far eastern philosophy doesn't even have a proper concept of epistemology for God's sake.
You don't know how trained is both the musical sense and the inner ear of a formally educated classical musician.
What takes you hours if not weeks to fully understand, requires us most a few istants most of the time (in rock and electronic music I would say 99% of the times, given how repetitive and conventional are the forms that are the most popular).
Give some slack to experts, they can see through all the bullshit most of the time. Would you expect every English tenured professor to have an extensive knowledge of mainstream YA books before dismissing them? They just know, and you would know to, had you studied in the first place.

You don't know what watered down means. I'm done with you.

You don't, and you're sick of getting your asshole turned inside out using your very own statements.
Stay salty and retarded, brainlet user.

See You are claiming that that movies can be watered down books because they feature audio and visuals, but that's wrong.

>can
can't

>In my conservatory the general consesus among both musicians and composers was that the best rock (and derivatives) music was made by the smartest stupid people on Earth.
I had a similar experience in my conservatory. Hell, even high school music class people (the teachers as well) used to diss rock and hip hop music all the time

Say that to edm and shit, that's all timbre

I would go for that tool string quartet tribute album, or some meme radiohead re-arrangement.
or this youtube.com/watch?v=TKVYEShL2fs

>False dichotomy.
Our discussion is strictly relegated to music, and within the medium of music, and you're poorly attempting to subvert my reasoning by branching out into dubious analogies.
Furthermore you're are talking about recreations. New genres of music are not recreations of classical pieces user, come on, keep up.
Finally, even in your example there are situations where an approximation or replica can surpass an original in media; a prime example involving book-movie adaptations would be The Shining. I'm reluctant to say this because I'm certain you will misconstrue this as a main argument and begin attempting to debate this analogue instead as my main point and re-insert it into our discussion.
Is there anything else?

>he actually knows so little about classical music that he thinks transposing some pop to strings will fool anyone