I'm a high school teacher. Ask me almost anything

I'm a high school teacher. Ask me almost anything.

Won't give out identifying information about myself or my school.

I'm in the deep south. I teach math and physics. I'm 35 year old man.

Ask away!

What is the SECOND fastest land animal?

Bump to check for interest.

Is it a horse of some sort?

Did you vote for trump?
And do you still think you would again?

2nd bump

I voted for Clinton, but there was pretty much no way my state was going for her.

3rd bump (I'll give up at 5)

I wish I could see hot 16 years olds compete with each other every day.

It is one of the perks, I will admit.

Mr White fuck off

Go do your homework.

Salary?

Are you racist?

do the kids suck? i could never work with sarcastic assholes who would shit on me everyday on social media, never do their homework and then have to deal with their parent

I'm in my 11th year and I make between 45k and 50k. I have a Masters. I have good health and dental. I also get 12 sick days and two personal days a year in addition to generous holiday breaks.

Well why had you become math teacher instead some scienetist on uni?

Just how much is the US education system fucked?

I do my best not to be. In fact, I often call out the overt racism that happens on my campus.

But, I'll also admit that I have a hell of a hard time relating to lower income black kids who don't give a shit about anything. But, on some level, they're not really that different for middle income suburban kids who also don't give a shit about anything.

Lots of disillusionment with teenagers these days.

Did you become a high school teacher because you were low-key into teen girls but then realized that teen girls are moody and incredibly stupid people?

Some do. Most are fine. Freshman boys are the worst. They're non human.

Senior boys are also kind of awful. They're jsut so loud and they move around so much.

Not that many of mine are assholes, but lots of them are kind of lazy pieces of shit.

I studied math in undergrad and discovered that I hated math research. So, I decided against grad school for math and chose Education.

It's pretty fucked. It's in need of a major overhaul, but it's such a long-standing institution that nobody wants to do anything about it.

Whats the worst thing you've caught students doing?

Nope and nope.

In fact, I generally prefer teaching girls to teaching boys. They're easier for me to deal with.

ive noticed that too... I was a teenager like 2 years ago (20 now) and while i was in highschool, i didnt give a shit about anything.

why do you think teens dont care, teach?

how do you deal with the parents? my mom is a teacher and she says its the worst part.

They cheat on things. Like all the time. Most of them don't even view it as morally wrong.

I've broken up a couple of fights.

Last year, I found this couple skulking around during class in a short hallway without a security camera. I shooed them off to class. They tried to pretend they were going to class and dodge me, but I stopped where I was going and followed one of them to a classroom.

I really don't know. It's easy to blame instant gratification that kids get for social media. But, I think it's more complicated than that.

I haven't noticed it change that much in recent years, but there was definitely a shift between now and when I started.

Very carefully. Be real precise with your language.

At my school conferences always include a counselor and often an administrator. I'm lucky to have a supportive admins backing me up.

Parents are whiny and think they can get their way. They also don't like to give kids consequences anymore. I do my best to remain as firm with the parents as with the kids.

4th bump

Any teenage girl got a crush on you?

Also , are you /fit/ ? any wife?, kids?

I've had a couple, but it's rare.

Many more of them flirt, but it's not just with me. Seems like some of them are learning that being flirty is the best way to relate to men.

Struggle with my weight. Take my advice, get used to taking care of yourself when you're young.

Married, no kids.

Sad but true

Do you jerk off to the female students?

Also, how so you hide a boner while in class?

I do my best to be a supportive adult in their lives. So many of those girls have daddy issues for one reason or another.

I had one freshman who just LOVED me and I never really understood why. At the end of the year, she wrote a poem about how her dad is in jail and how he's never been present in her life and how she doesn't understand what she did wrong. Day to day she's this sweet, smiley kid. Heartbreaking shit.

Not as often as you might thing. But, yeah, it's happened. Many of them are very good looking, and the teacher/student fantasy is a fun thing to imagine.

Would I ever do anything more than that? Probably not.

It's never really been a problem besides when I'm at my desk while they're testing or something and my mind gets to wandering...

In that case, I just hide it under the desk.

What do you think of finland's education system?

I think it sounds great. And it has a lot I'd love for us to emulate.

But, I also think that Finland has a much more homogeneous population than we do in the US, so it makes things easier for them.

How many hours of school a day do kids have?

We're in school from about 8 until about 3:30. They get a 30 minute lunch and 5 minutes to pass between classes.

Is education public in the us?

There are public and private options.

I teach in a public school.

Also, stepping away for a bit. If the thread is still up when I get back, I'll answer more. If not, I'll probably post again tonight.

Have a nice day user

Do you smoke weed and drink?

Be safe user