What is the afterlife like?

What is the afterlife like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1GCf29FPM4k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My ass

What makes you think that there is an afterlife, beyond the trivial sense of the world continuing after you are dead.

Why wouldn't there be?

beyond all expectation & all comprehension

realize that anybody there can be happy despite traumas in this life

Of course if being a practicant christian

It's the fucking void. Just like the beforelife.

Like beforelife.

like when you were asleep, except without the brain activity, or the physical sensations, of existing.

Because you're dead and probably rot in the ground or get burned into ashes?

its probably a lack of eletric neurosignals going throughout your body as you just fade to black as you die

Practicant christian?

Go kill yourself already, heaven waits for you and needs you.

Like whatever you imagine it to be like, since your imagination is the only place the afterlife exists.

hopefully without draftdodgers

Salty milk and coins

You don't need to worry about it if you are a conservative.

Yes the body will be dead but what about the soul

Non-existent. Next question?

There's a shortage of chairs.

So your body wants to know the next question?

Consciousness does not equal soul.

just think back to the time before you were born. that's what it's like.

What's the difference?

Your best bet is saving enough money to pay to be cryogenicly frozen at death and brought back to life in the future. Even this probably won't work. But if it did then you would basically fall asleep (die/froze) then wake up in the distant future as if no time passed to you but everyone you know is long gone dead. Kinda crazy.

You and Walt Disney can blow each other.

Best case scenario? You have a soul and your afterlife is the creation of your own consciousness while you were alive. For Christians it would manifest some sort of paradise but for other religions it would be different (reincarnation etc).

Worse Case? You return to the sensation of pre-birth, which is the absence of senses. /in which case it won't matter as all the parts of you that 'matter' will return to a cycle of particles which extends into forever.

I don't know, but I'll find out soon enough
wish me luck Sup Forumsoys.

This.

Me too, I guess. I literally fear nothing more than old age and I have always wanted to die before that fate. Seeing that I have access to firearms and being very suicidal and uncaring I don't know what would/could stop me.

how it was before you were born?
its gonna be the same thing user

for some reason even atheists see Christian imagery during near death experiences

it's like the time before your birth,for you

The former makes you self aware. The latter is something that religious people think what makes us human, but actually that part is the dent on your consciousness made by civilization and the current culture, the different feelings, appropriate for the era. (guilt, shame, etc)

I tend to think that the I/consciousness/soul/mind all refer to the same substance.

read Blaise Pascal

Nothing or a dream would be my best guess.

A lake of fire or With Jesus in heaven/new earth

Choose wisely

I guess everyone thinks what's most comfortable for them. You think that they are the same, because this makes you feel good. For me, it make me feel good if I think they are different.

if there is a "heaven" or "hell". I would like to think of it as the movie "what dreams may come" with robin williams. like a limbo state where you can create anything from anything. even life. I would create multiple univ rd rse sustaining different strains or species of life then abandon it...

It just starts over, like Metroid.

born into another person.

There is only being.

Consciousness is all there is, heh.

OP, just watch this.
We're going to be here again some day. And you will be going to make the same question, and i will give you the same answer.
youtube.com/watch?v=1GCf29FPM4k

Bonus question: how many of you had to use the browser's spell checker for the word consciousness?

nobody that isn't a slackjawed idiot

reincarnation as always
dont listen to dumb cunts who dont understand how universe works

>"The path to immortality is hard, and only few find it...
>The rest await the Great Day when the wheels of the universe shall be stopped,
>and the immortal sparks shall escape from the sheaths of substance...
>Woe unto those who wait for they must return again, unconscious and unknowing
>to the seedground of stars... to await a new Beginning."

~Hermes

If it's a sim it wouldn't be a difficult feat to transfer the consciousness into a new body in another sim. Probably 2ez everything because that world would be so advanced.

but if it's going to be like the beforelife, you'll eventually just born into another consciousness as long as humankind exists

according to whose rules?

Good point. But, it wouldn't be "you" anymore. So "you" wouldn't reincarnate, only your point of view - or mindstream - would. I wouldn't put too much stock in Eastern philosophy though but that's just me.

>I wouldn't put too much stock in Eastern philosophy though but that's just me
as opposed to western philosophy? where do you draw that distinction?

Simulation hypothesis is Western thought, and so is Heaven, and my worldview has been influenced by both.

>and so is Heaven
even the Zoroastrians have a concept of Heaven as well as Islam. not sure what you mean by this

I mean next world you don't come back from.

then your concept of Heaven has been undoubtedly influenced by the Abrahamic faiths, right?

was Abraham east or west? why so?

I'm not him, but I'm enjoying your line of questioning, user. Keep it up.

Forget the East/West dichotomy. It doesn't matter. I just meant that I don't believe in reincarnation because that would mean annihilation of the self which I don't believe in.

Remember how it felt the billion of years before you were born?

Well, exactly like that.

hey thanks.
it took me a long time to get to this point. theories of relativity anti positivism vs positivist schools etc. etc.

i love east and west philosophy there is no reason why they shouldn't be viewed as two side of the same coin.

my question, the one that keeps me up at night is why Abraham is the cornerstone for western faith. it seems to me as if anything east of the holy land is EAST.. has to be.. but the holy land is stuck between west and east. interesting to me

There is none you dumbass. You were dead for billions of years before you were ever alive, did that inconvenience you in any way?

that's okay sorry I was asking my Qs in weird way. I was curious to know where you physically drew the line of east/west. if you don't like reincarnation all the power to ya

>I just watched a bill burr special and now I will repeat the same meme for the 50th time

I'm not him but that was fucking gibberish. If I turn you to liquid with an RPG, I assure you your "self" will be annihilated.

there was no "him" there wasn't even a concept of a "him" in fact there was no "HER" to birth "him" millions of years ago.

how would that have an impact on what is to come?

Do you realize at all how unlikely it'd be to be aware only now and not for billions of years before or after this short af life? We most likely continue.

i hope there is nothing. imagine having to experience anything ever again, possibly for eternity. fucking nightmare. the buddha was right.

buddha said that our mortal coils, existence is self is suffering and death and reincarnation (climbing the karma ladder i.e. dharma) is the answer...

are you sure you understand buddha at all?

You know how when you unplug a fridge the light goes out? yeah, that light doesn't go to marshmallow land. That light is your soul/consciousness (going with your preference that they are the same).

How is it gibberish? Are you your neighbor?

If you die and get reborn as your neighbor's son without any memory of you, would you be any more you then than your neighbor? Of course not. You would be gone forever. And that's what I meant by annihilation of the self.

yes friendo, that's why I hope for there to be nothing. because if he is right it's the same shit over again. existence is pain man

You're an agrogate of atoms. Will some of your atoms at some point in the distant future be apart of another living being? Perhaps. Will you ever be "you" again or have any recollection of your life after death? No. Sorry to burst your bubble user.

huh, pretty good example of self annihilation bro

existence is suffering (the process of pain)
this pain can be alleviated by your mindset (via meditation)

where does your pain come from?
>desire
desire for what?
>material objects (that which you don't already have)
so the answer is to reject material objects... that's the trick I know.

Except that soul isn't a light in the fridge.

>desire
I would rather say existence.

There's probably no afterlife, but there is consciousness after death if your brain is still intact. Body basically goes into a "shut down" mode. If I could reincarnate with my old memories and be a new person, that is what I wish to be real.

that's why they call them the noble truths. truths lead you to the eightfold path etc. etc. buddhism is great for reflection and self-improvement on your own time but I followed the occult knowledge buddha was gifted from his teachers

Daoism is my favorite branch of philosophy

I wonder if all this fedora tipping ITT is sincere. Why do you feel that there is probably no afterlife?

other user here
it literally is stored in your brain and nerve system powered by your body
the only thing we can do is become immortal by replacing current body with artificial robotic ones
but noone is working towards that haha fuck that! better do wars for 2k+ year old made up stories that make people half comfy inside or worse yet be selfish and try to get rich
i want a dictator to dominate the world just for the sake of putting every resource(human brain) to work in order to acheive immortality.
then people can live and wait see what future us find about death or kill themselves at least they would have an option.
now im off to fapping

"There is consciousness after death if your brain is still in tact"

Oh, okay, and where did you get your PHD in neuroscience? This is just wrong. The only thing that comes close is being concious for a few seconds after being decapitated (actually documented) before everything goes black.

I've though about this, I've also thought "I sure am lucky to have been born a human, and not an animal.". But the fact that I'm human is the only reason I can wonder about my existence. The chances of me wondering about my existence and being human is 100%.

Fuck, I've got so many thoughts about consciousness and the idea of transferring it, or continuing it. I need to type it all up so I can post it. Theseus ship and all that, our atoms are all gradually replaced, so our individual consciousness can't be attributed to our atoms. But if you somehow made an atomic replica of yourself, you wouldn't experience what it did after that point. So its also not that specific arrangement of atoms. I've kinda come to the conclusion that consciousness doesn't really exist, but I obviously feel alive, so I've got more shit to figure out.

Why do you believe there is? Do you believe in Valhalla? Reincarnation? Heaven? The "field of rushes" the Egyptians believed in? Thing is, there's thousands of religions and hundreds of ideas of the afterlife, each believing their version is the right one. What's wrong with thinking at its likely they're all fucking wrong.

then what if we are inside one of those universes created by a dead person...

>it literally is stored in your brain and nerve system powered by your body
Source?

Use your brain and you will realize that there is no afterlife or deeper meaning to life.

We're all here due to natural selection. You're a walking meatball stringed together by DNA. One day you will die, and a new young human will take your place to further the genetics of the human race. This is our lifeforms way of eternal life.
There is no heaven or afterlife. You will lose your consciousness as you die, then your body will rot and there is that. You're gone for all eternity with no second chances.

Is this bait? You know that you'll just get angry know it all athiests responces

Actually, this is the afterlife. Think about it:
>We can fly.
>We can talk to anyone instantly.
>We don't have to work to grow our own food, but we can if we really want to.
>We can look at naked people any time we want.
>We can make the air around us any temperature we want.
>We all have magic talismans in our pockets that give us the sum of human knowledge

So yeah, pretty sure we all died of Plague during the Dark Ages and this is our reward for all that suffering.

you get to travel back to the moments in your life when you got doubles/trips/quads or when some user liked your post

I like reading what materialists think, too.

well i guess it depends on the person. i´ve come around a few depictions of heaven and hell in my life both in Pop culture and literature. but my persona lthoughts are that the afterlife is shaped by your own thoughts about it and about how you would perceive it to be.

I am gonna need a source for these outrageous claims. Or you can go back to the subreddit your crawled out from

you wouldn't be you if you lose your memory would you?
memorys are in your brain too.

If you have to ask, you'll never know

The source is me. I despise reddit, so i'll have to decline your offer.

The absence of life. It's like asking "what is it like being a rock?"... well, ask the rock. Don't expect much of a reply.

hell
literally just hell

>Daoism
Nice. I don't know much about it. Is that the one where your anus is in line with the Big Dipper or w/e?

Why can't I shoot level 9 fireballs? Because magic isn't real.

The only concrete answer to this question and the only state we have to draw parallels from is pre-birth thats the only plausible answer

your source lacks validity and authority. you are welcome to try again but I don't expect the results to be much better