Sup Forums I'd like to be a fantasy author and wanted to know if my map was a little *too* unrealistic from a...

Sup Forums I'd like to be a fantasy author and wanted to know if my map was a little *too* unrealistic from a geographical standpoint. Is there anything massively wrong with my map?

Other urls found in this thread:

topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on how your fantasy world was created.
If its earth-like do a pangaea test and see if you can fit your landmasses together to a big piece like they used to be with the real earth.

I don't see anything wrong with it other than that part in pic related. Look out of place

looks fine I suppose. I don't know much about continents and how the move. has a point.

You should check out topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp if you want a very detailed map. just keep clicking random until you find one you like.

Thanks for the pangaea advice man, I wouldn't have even thought of that. Terms of the bay thing, anything I could do to make it look more natural?

The maps generator looked pretty cool but I've already got the rough shapes and continents I'd like. Just a matter of making it look nice and realistic now.

This is good. Also look for DnD map generators. Could be usefull too.

I dunno. Do you have a heightmap for you map yet? You could turn the area into a heightened volcano that spills water into your sea.

Otherwise its pretty unnatural for water to just turn 90 degrees and erode a piece of land without a clear force/stream behind it. Maybe open it up more towards the lower see. Or open up the top and declare it a big lake

Fill it up or split it up like scandinavia I suppose.

Alternatively that huge hole could have a lore reason in your fantasy world.

Alright I made a couple alternatives that could fit the lore quite easily. Tell me what you prefer.

That one is better. With the opening towards the sea you could even close it a bit again if you want to keep that secluded bay look.

I also hope your scumbay will feature a Scumbar :^)

Would it really be a scum bay if I didn't include a scum bar? Thanks for your help on the bay, friends. Any other problems with the map?

Now I'm intrigued. Tell me more about this fantasy world of yours

perfectly circular island in the bottom right of the map

Can't believe I just completely blobbed an entire island.
Oh boy, my first sales pitch. To wrap it up in a neat little bow for you, the world itself is completely normal, no magic whatsoever. However the world exists inside a larger... "thingy", space outside the dimension that the series takes place in. That space is a whole other ballgame, containing shit ranging to other dimensions with other worlds entirely to the god of deaths personal swimming pool (bit of a joke but who knows honestly). The rift between the world the stories take place in and this transdimensional space breaks a little sometimes and things from the other side drift in, or things from inside drift out and come back. This is where any magic or magic items or people or whatever come from. A large amount of the stories problems and wars and blah blah blah is caused by this. Obviously it's a lot more in depth but that's the 30 second sum up.

whoops wroong thread

So a "snowglobes connected by pipes" kinda idea? Interesting

Pretty gud, but you need to kill yourself for that horrendous keyboard.

it was 50% off and I need something cheep

Also: Why are you wearing cord hotpants

THE'RE NOT CORD HOT PANTS

snowglobes connected by pipes is a pretty good way to look at it. Although if you can images the snowglobe being a padlock instead of glass. If you have the key, you know how to cheat your way through or even if you just fucking swing hard enough, you'll get through the padlock.

The fact that you are reacting aggressively tells me they are exactly that.

That would make for a great Dnd campaign

By all means, make a DnD campaign. I'd be honoured. If you're interested in the books, any way I could notify you when they eventually get published? Could make a throwaway tumblr blog or something.

I dunno maybe imgur for artworks or just a pastebin would be enough

Here you are, friends The paste bin is pv4NZyfi

the land mass on the bottom right side looks a bit odd. other than that i really like it

Yeah, I was actually thinking that myself. Any ideas on how to improve it?

"snowglobesconnectedbypipes" on tumblr. Won't actually put anything on it until it's published.

Less smooth edges, more like your top landmass.

Everything is wrong with it.

its designed to fit conveniently into a rectangular page. real geography doesnt.

Its a set of random shapes with no context at all.

so it makes absolutely no sense as to what anything there is.

the most important point would be, are you designing the map, to put the narrative in, or have you the narrative that the map must fit?

have a map I made a few years ago for a game.

Consider checking the world building general on /tg/ if ya need inspiration.