/Prod/

ACTUALLY READ THIS IF YOU'RE NEW

Welcome to /prod/, a place to discuss music production, sound design, engineering and all things related. Discussion is encouraged, elitism is mocked.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/ or instaud.io/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback. The more specific you are about asking for feedback on your song, the more likely you are to get useful replies! DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback!

--------------------------------------------------

>Production Resources
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

>/prod/ Wiki - Guides and Tutorials
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>The Art of Mixing
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
>Intro to Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

Previous failed thread
Previous previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/codiagy3
youtu.be/4cVP6x1GIgI
youtu.be/p42QLyLHhz8
clyp.it/4hzh0i2p
soundcloud.com/basedlordjorffy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hi, how do i make my drums have more impact, any feedback is appreciated.
im trying to use nothing but my own drums
clyp.it/codiagy3

use different samples, those are awful honestly

multipressor compressor eq's layer 2 different kicks.

theres a lot of shit you can do to give them more impact
but it all comes down to practicing sound design and
understanding what is going on in in the visual eq.

lower your rimshot a little bit it's taking too much focus off the cool stuff

Are there any other cool mono synths in production? The only other one I can think of is the poly evolver, but it's out of production and the early DSI filter sounds like shit. Also why does the company called make noise have no noise source on anything at all?

i´m gonna try to just start doing shit again

doesnt matter if its good i love producing

Looking to buy a laptop today! Never give up

Any of you making a profit? Where do I start?

poly*?

same it's fun (:

>Never give up
>Never give up
>Never give up

well what do you want to do

Question: Why do so many beginners seem to know about multiband compression yet lack basic knowledge in many areas?

Was there some sort of how to make skrillex youtube video with ozone on the 2-bus making the rounds?

I guess multiband compressor sounds cool and advanced so beginners try to learn it to sound/feel cool and advanced.

Also OTT.

because people keep on bringing it up to fix problems that should have been fixed elsewhere.

idk every time somebody tells somebody to do it in these threads it bothers the shit out of me. Like don't just throw one on your drum bus, turn the hats down instead! or low shelf that harsh synth!!! fuck man

What's your favorite compressor?

Specifically one that adds a lot of colour when you smash it (preferably free but whatever)

>finally get on audionews
>mfw all those VSTi's and sample packs

Some yt tutorial fag said that the best way to mix is using compressors instead of faders and kids where dumb enough to believe it. Also this I been making music for 10+ years and only used compressors for mastering final tracks, and I use it very lightly.

There enough monosynths already out there, why do you want another one? The Monologue is near perfect and the SH-2 looks good for old school sounds. Also theres the beringher moog clone coming up.
What we need right now is a good sampler, Roland dun goofed with the SP-404A, so much wasted potential thats insulting
Make noise is a meme company that hit momentum with the 0-coast and thats it, kinda like TE with the OP-1.

>I been making music for 10+ years and only used compressors for mastering final tracks, and I use it very lightly
You mean multiband compressors or compressors in general?

>audionews

i'll ignore the blatent meme pushing, please explain your enthusiasm

In general. Althou been using izotopes multiband comp lately but I'll probably go back to waves, I like simple stuff

Pencil Fag Here. How do I into rhythm?

Meant the mono evolver
>If it's not standard subtractive it's a meme

im not sure what you mean but i guess just listen to rhythms and steal what you think sounds nice

play with the beat repeat in ableton (or similar in your daw) and try going in to triplets

I mean I don't play anything. I don't even want to because I would rather understand how rhythm works than to play it. Playing keyboard is an entirely different skill and I am Parkinsons tier when it comes to dexterity stuff

>If it's not standard subtractive it's a meme
I never said that, just wouldnt trust a company that will most likely dissapear in a couple of years. A friend bought a 0-coast, its fun but filmsy af, build quality is PO tier and good luck fixing it if you accidentally break something while turning a knob (which is too possible).
The concept is good, hope someone builds something similar that I can gig with without having to worry that it will break in the bag

i was talking about programming rhythms in to a daw
i cant play worth shit either

also I meant transcribing rhythms I already have in mind not just noodling with specs.

I recently started to make more ambient, kinda "Nujabes-esque" tracks. Still haven't quite got it down yet, but here's a track I did recently. Any feedback would be welcome.

youtu.be/4cVP6x1GIgI

See if you can get a Volca sample or better a cheap drum machine with midi out (like a sr-16). I sucked hard at programing drums until I started fiddling with hardware.
A launchpad with the 95 script can be good too, but step programing is just not my cup of tea

only thing that spooks me is that tinnitus or whatever this loud eeeeEEEEEE sound between my ears is, isnt going away. its been like this ever since the festivals

earplugs no headphones breaks every hour, you know the deal

i have tinnitus and slight hearing loss in my right ear

you will be fine as long as you dont do stupid shit to your ears

do you guys cut your sub off at 30hz or 60hz?

i hope you mean roll off and not cut

Can't talk on the quality of the 0 coast, but every Make Noise eurorack module I've played has been pretty good quality. I doubt their gonna be going out of business any time soon unless people start losing interest in eurorack. Maths is the most popular module on modulargrid.

isn't a roll off still a cut?

>not going full talk talk and rolling the bass off at 200hz

Is rock dead?

Not much into euroracks, maybe thats their forte, the 0-coast is like a big eurorack module intended to be used as a desktop synth. The fact that it's imposible to build a case for it and have to deal with a naked circuitboard with very little space is a major turnoff, and its not cheap.
There are rumours of a buchla clone made by.... Behringer
That should be fun if true

Do you have a link to the Behringer Buchla clone? It's possible they're doing it because some company connected with Behringer is manufacturing vactrol esq optical components since that other company is going to stop production.

I think there's deadness all around.

I haven't found any new music I like for a few years now. To me it sounds like recent debut and sophomore albums sound like when good artists from the past released their 10th album when they're 50 and taste-dementia kicks in.

so it's better to write the vocal melody on the piano or by humming it?
I find that on the piano I have a better idea of it

if you're too cool to wear earplugs, you're too cool to not have a constant ultra-minimalist avant garde one-note song playing in your head at all times, cool boy, no pussy plugs for you tough guy

by singing placeholder lyrics, or using a saxophone patch otherwise it won't do it justice

I think Abba used a sustained Clavinet or Solina as a placeholder for the vocal melody when they wrote songs.

I wonder about this shit too, I know that you can't just use a simple monosynth patch or piano to realize the vox because it won't let you hear what it will sound like. Has to be a breathy/resonant sound I think.

Just rumours on synth forums and groups, no link available that I know of.
Uli said there preparing 30+ clones of classic synths, the buchla should be cheap and easy to build now. So far only the model D was confirmed, but SH-01, 808 and more moog clones are coming for shure, also an OSCar and Synthi A clones are also very possible
Uli is a rich troll, anythings possible

>there's deadness all around
Hip hop is alive as well. Indie/alternative stuff still prevails. But yeah it's not just rock. I just wonder if I should replace the guitar with digital instruments if I ever wanna show my music to people.

well I actually meant to find the idea, naturally you'll need to work it with your voice for the final result

desu it's just a difference in terminology or whatever

when i hear cut i think notching out or a brickwall high/low pass

roll off would be a shelf or a less steep hp/lp

in terms of innovation/new sounds, yeah sure (excluding metal)

I got serious about making music wanting to form an industrial (experimental whatever) rock band to make something new

ended up spending the last 5 years making idm/leftfield whatever because all of the innovation is in electronic and hip hop right now, and everybody i meet who plays instruments wants to imitate another band or established genre. It's trite at this point to say really

idk man i think there are plenty of hip hop acts out there getting weird

whatever works for you

I want to turn a profit producing. Maybe booked to DJ shows

>and everybody i meet who plays instruments wants to imitate another band or established genre
god I hate this, why do so many people waste their potential by playing in cover bands?
what I like in hip hop is that at least you're forced to write new music

>everybody i meet who plays instruments wants to imitate another band or established genre
Consider yourself lucky. Everyone I meet who plays instruments just wants to play the most complex, technical possible thing they can play. Even if you tell them to just play four chords they start going full retarded and ruining music with unnecessary wankery.

>cover bands

i don't understand the desire to do this at all unless you're just trying to get paid or you literally can't write a song.

i'd trade situations with you desu. worse still is straight up not being able to play or keep a beat

look into ghost producing. alternatively pitching beats to rappers. you've really gotta be top notch there.

dj'ing is a lot easier to get into. i don't know how to go about learning it outside of all that matters beyond a certain skill level is image.

>dj'ing is a lot easier to get into. i don't know how to go about learning it outside of all that matters beyond a certain skill level is image.
yes I think the best dj sets I've heard are from underground djs
I've seen some of them spinnin records folks, they just put a pre-mixed set and just stay there acting, but they're actually just puppets with songs made by ghost producers

if i don't making something good in 24 hours i'm going to kill myself

>straight up not being able to play
I think that's the best one out of the three. I enjoy teaching and get to use my own songs to teach so it's fun. Not many people over 20 are interested in learning an instrument tho.

I can understand that.
I have a rapper friend that I want to push forward cause we like making music.

meh i guess, i just don't want to have to tell anybody what to do, otherwise i'd just play it myself. i want to write a song WITH somebody

get off Sup Forums then buddy
(suffering from writers block and no inspo but i wrote 2 good songs yesterday lol)

:(

Playing covers is acceptable only for practice porpouses. But having a cover band is the lowest of the low. I rather have a regular day job and do whatever I want with my music, even if no one likes it.
Took me 8 years of gigging and switching members to gain a small following with my band, I just write a shitload of songs and filter them out while rehearsing to see which ones work and which dont. Democracy on a band doesnt work (unless you're playing with the same ppl since forever)
Got a lot of shit, played for literally a dog or no one lots of times but its worth it. Now I'm finally getting some recognition and "cult following" in the local scene. Its fun when someone tries to compare my band with another and just cant find any reference.
Its basically a shoegaze influenced industrial with some noise and power pop in the mix, idk, just do what you feel and fuck everything else

>But having a cover band is the lowest of the low.
/r/watmm trigger

got a clyp? i'm curious

Oversimplifying a song helps seeing it from another perspective tho. Got a bunch of songs that had complicated basslines that improved significantly after teaching them to a dude and realizing they sounded better by just playing the root note once and holding it.

I have about 5 "albums" that I recorded by myself over the years, the first ones sound like shit and we only made a handfull of CD-r and gave them away at shows. Never used clyp but most of them are on bandcamp/soundcloud/yt etc. Lyrics are in spanish so that might turn some ppl off.
Here's our last release, probably the most chill and "accesible" we done so far, the old stuff is more fun to play live. youtu.be/p42QLyLHhz8

How to I get a bass to have more of a "pop" on the attack?

I made it 22 seconds in and had to abort homie.

ngl that singing is bad. the music is good though.

good point

The song actually starts around the 1:25 mark, that intro is basically a joke

>that singing is bad
ik, thats why the first track is the only one with "clean" vocals at the beggining, the rest have shitton of fx on them. Got sick of complains that the vocals have too many effects on the previous stuff, so we decided to start the album like that. Not shure if it was the right idea but fuck it, its done

pitch it up at the beginning

transient designer, expander

ALTERNATIVELY use the massively underrated envelope of a sampler

Newfag here. I didn't know this was a thing. You just saved me 9000 hours of manually editing samples.

i'm having this issue where I add synths and drums and shit to my projects with my melodies, then deciding that it's just not good enough, and adding more bullshit until eventually it becomes convuluted and I just give up and feel bad about myself.

then I hear motherfuckers sounding good with the most minimal things. How the fuck do you make things with very little instruments/drumming sound good?

Good sound design, good mixing and good composition.

Actually making something good and simple is very hard. Probably the biggest challenge when it comes to making good music.

how??

Is this like some sort of god tier mastering???

I got a few questions.

How can I make simple music like nujabes that isnt boring as fuck? Its usually a sample with break/chopped drum breaks and a sub bass but sounds so nice. And how did he get such a full warm sound when mastering/mixing? I dont sample directly from vinyl so i assume that has something to do with it.

Idk man I'm still not there, but I think it has more to do with being clever and putting everything in it's right place and adding no unnecessary bullshit.

Slow down there, kiddo.

how long have you been making music you may be comparing people who have much more time put in than you

yw

i can't understand why that's not always the first thing mentioned. if you need snappier attack, that should always be the go to- simplest solution with the least processing.

don't add to something just because it doesn't sound good- make sure the core of your song sounds good and then go from there.

>mastering
not what that means

>I dont sample directly from vinyl so i assume that has something to do with it.

that's a meme. it sure as shit sounds cool to say you sample from vinyl but it's not necessary to achieve that type of sound. i'm not into that lofi shit but i've dabbled in it writing beats for a friend to rap on; the key things i used were vinyl distortion in ableton (izotope makes vinyl something for free or your daw probably has an equivalent) eq/filters, reverb and ***sample selection***

find some drum samples from vinyl and breaks, simple hats, set up a reverb send for the hat and snares and make your vibey whatever the fuck beat. low pass/low shelf more than you would with other genres, leave more "mud" and don't highpass what you normally might.

shit's pretty simple

hey be nice!

Is it true that most popular musicians these days (without connections) get big by buying fake YouTube views? Like i've heard they'll buy 1 million fake views for their music video and it'll take off after that.

Is this true? Should I try it (assuming my stuff is actually good first)?

sources for free soundfonts? I'll take anything but especially the Fairlight library.

>make sure the core of your song sounds good and then go from there.

This, and as says
>Good sound design, good mixing and good composition.

The order of procession is composition first, then sound design and then mixing.

A lot of weak production stems from impatience, the misconception that good sound design can fix bad composition, and that good mixing can fix either (or both) of the former, and mostly it leads to laziness in the composition phase in the hurry to get to mixdown.

I'm just as guilty of this since most of my enjoyment comes from mixing, but if there's one thing that can be learned from years of frustrated attempts to make good music it's that if you're wanting to make music that has any sort of impact or staying power the composition has to have some merit.

Is there a way to make nujabes-style or sample based music and not be compared to lofi shit?

Is dilla, madlib, or knxwledge considered lofi?

That's a good way to kickstart your music if it's GOOD. That's the key though. Make something decent first and then you can start "cheating" your way to success. But there's no way to cheat your way to good music.

It's art. You have to use intuition to make decisions about what notes to choose, what sounds to pick and how to process them in order to convey an emotion and you have to do it very purposefully. There is no paint by numbers way to do it.

You can whittle down the creative speedbump by learning an instrument/music theory and knowing your tools inside out but you have to build a map in your head of what all the different techniques at your disposal are saying emotionally. Like you need to know words before you write a book. You need to go beyond 'major chord happy, minor chord sad' and get specific associations, like a slow sus4 to major could mean 'bittersweet' or a flanger could mean disorientation or whatever.

It's not some rote thing. There isn't a book or yt tutorial that will tell you how to write good music, slapping a bunch of effects on random notes will not make it into a banger. All the decisions have to be made with a sixth sense kind of thing that you sharpen with practice. Make something that you would actually listen to, don't just churn out crap and be like look ma I made a music.

>Is dilla, madlib, or knxwledge considered lofi?

i consider dilla precurssor to the current lofi trend- madlib is on some other shit, idg that comparison. what's some good stuff by knxledge? i'm assuming he has to be pretty good for you to name him next to those guys

clyp.it/4hzh0i2p

Main things I know I need to work on is percussion selection and adding in more low end. Still a work in progress, but could use feedback on its current state

It's tough. One thing is to make sure you save multiple versions of projects. if its sounding good, do a final save and then a "save as" so your working in a new project and you can go back if you screw it up. Another thing I have trouble with is that once somethibg sounds good but "lacking"your next instinct shouldn't necessarily be to add something else. instead, try adding variation in the parts you have. Just simple fills, filter or fx sweeps, or dropping the part out for a few bars can "add" to your composition without just adding more sounds

intro is garbo cheese desu

change the kick. highpass some on that snare rimshot. use a different clap.

when the main thing comes in again at 1:03 use a different patch or change the higher pitched thing going- it blends in with the other stuff too much and it would be cool to hear the main theme bigger/as a variation

has potential

I was just listing people who have sample based production. Knxwledge is pretty good. I'd recommend Hud dreams or Kauliflowr

I 'save as' constantly adding a revision number to it and if I hit a point where I hear potential I save it as 'xyz11ok' or if I really like it 'xyz12good'

I usually find that if I go back to the revision I saved as 'good' it's better than subsequent revisions.

lmao this is fucking horrible

thanks

u tryna fite homie i'll reply to u all night bitch

I'd recommend throwing that shit in the trash and going back to the drawing board. it's irreversibly bad.

Don't listen to the people saying this is shit. It IS very bad, but it has some merit. You're just clearly new at producing, but the idea is all right. Get better at everything and come back to that track in a couple of months.

>Don't listen to the people saying this is shit

it's one person. they did the same thing last thread

>start working on a track
>sounding really good
>can't tell if it's just cause I like the smell of my own shit or it's actually decent
Can't wait to finish this one and get told it sucks.

>spent like half an hour looking at vst compressor clones
>distressor emulation by antress
>FREE
>32 bit only and all of the download links are dead anyway

fffffffffffuck my shit up

soundcloud.com/basedlordjorffy

how u like my beats?

If that rim was pushed back, this would be alright

/prod/ how can i record stuff without spending alot of money? i tried using my laptop mic but it barely picked up anything. what should i get?

If you want your stuff to be listenable get an SM58 and a preamp or an interface. If you just wanna dick around buy an usb mic.

This

Also, I'd suggest picking up a decent mixer. I have a couple of Alesis Multimix 8s. One is an older Firewire model and the other is more updated and connects through USB 3.0. They cost about $120-$150 used depending on where you go and are definitely worth it.

Avoid Behringer products. They're low-priced for a reason