Is the Midwest really as comfy as this album makes it seem?

Is the Midwest really as comfy as this album makes it seem?

Im from a rust belt part of michigan and its mostly just depressing

Michigan here.

Yes if you get into the more rural areas, which is basically 2 hours in any direction from any major city. Surprising amount of Amish.

from suburbs in IL
nah not really
sort of a weird bored vibe pretty much everywhere, ppl aren't content to simply relax but they aren't willing to go there other way

In select pockets of the region

Detroit in Flint are full of poverty or, even worse, the most obnoxious white wannabe-natives. Even worse than Brooklyn.

Something something natural beauty.

Can't wait to leave this state.

Turk here. I never seen USA but Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota are my favorite states. They look so green. They have cool snowy scenery and lakes, river and such.

It's a pretty nice place. Things are flat and spread out, and the region has a tranquil vibe when you're out in the country unlike anywhere else in the States. Cities tend to be more sprawled out so there's a ton of suburbia and perpetual outward development, instead of the more compressed urban spaces that you find elsewhere.

Average people keep to themselves and aren't confrontational unless you really press them. Then there's the occasional meth head screaming at his baby mama inside Wal-Mart, and everyone else acts like he doesn't exist and goes about shopping.

pretty much

Yes, especially upper Michigan.
Lived here all my life, except the one year I moved to Arizona for a change of scenery. was pretty cool there too, but ultimately not for me.
I'll just say that, almost everybody in small town midwest states wants to leave them, until they actually do and end up missing them. Seen it happen countless times now.

I saw Sufjan in concert last year. Was expecting some low key depressing shit but he turned the whole show into a party jam.

I saw him last year and he played Carrie & Lowell in full with a few other sad songs. Crowd was mostly in their very late 20's and older. A lot of people over 60, a lot of people cried.

Was a really good concert.

>the most obnoxious white wannabe-natives
he's right, they had to stop putting hood ornaments on cars because of us. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm finna' blaze and get muh dick sucked

t. white Flint wannabe-native

yeah, suburb Ohio here. There's a few pockets of die hard tea party people but for the most part it's really lovely all year round except the summer.

Yeah, I live in Duluth, MN. It's beyond comfy if you don't mind the snow. The lakes and woods are beautiful when you're out in them alone with some good music. My favorite thing to do is to go bike riding down abandoned logging roads or up the shore and chill for a few hours. That's only my little city though - other places are hurting like hell.

for michigan, the further you go up, the comfier it gets
t. guy who lives right by the border of ohio

sounds fucking sweet
t. masshole

The upper peninsula is the only worthwhile place in Michigan, and man is it worthwhile.
Sufjan should've focused only on it.

True, there's a few alright places in lower Michigan but they're few and far between.
Just be ready to meet lots of junkies and drunkards up north. Plenty of great people here too though, primarily good people actually. Lots of very tight communities, and so much nature to see and explore here. Honestly it may as well be its own territory because the problems of most of America don't exist much if at all here. Just don't make it apparent that you're some yuppie tourist and you'll be treated well by everyone.

>Turk here
stopped there

I've lived all over this country and it seems it's like that everywhere in the rural US. People grow up in a rural area and a lot of the times wonder why in the world anyone would want to even live there. They then move to somewhere more urban or even a big city and are elated at first but soon they realize why. I've primarily lived in rural Vermont since my teens and the amount of people who come back every year after a post-college stint in Boston or New York is incredible.

I sorta disagree. The lower peninsula has
>Traverse City
>Sleeping Bear Dunes (The entire Leelanau Peninsula really)
>Tawas
>The Thumb
>Grand Rapids
>Nice towns on the west side along lake michigan
What I don't like though is that trips up north (from the flint area where I live) can be a bit boring. There isn't much to see along I-75 except a bunch of farms once you get past Bay City.

I hate Massachusetts. I remember going to Boston when I was 12 and thinking it was a bunch of spoiled academic rich cunts. When I got older and traveled more I realized it's the whole fucking state. It's really beautiful in many areas but the people just ruin it for me. It's like the Bay Area of the East Coast. I can see why some would like it but it's really not for me.

Apologize for the Armenian genocide already you cunt

The midwest sucks.

- Everybody is fat
- Things are far away
- Most people are of German ethnicity (AKA ugly)
- Most people are Protestant (AKA boring and autistic with zero culture compared to Catholics)
- Food is absolutely disgusting: especially pizza

Michigan is really just... fine. I guess theres beauty in that

IL suburbs represent. I love my suburb its comfy

trips of truth

felt good to play some shitty Detroit club, get paid, navigate the retarded one-ways and roundabouts until I was back home in the country and I could get wasted and scream Queen songs in my garage. I do like the intellectual spaces in the city though, even if the people are up their own ass. I feel like I could take them in a fight

I know Sup Forums hates Queen, but fuck em, their taste blows anyway

all my experience growing up has been in the PNW or Hawaii, and the midwest just seems depressing to me. Maybe it's the idea of being so far away from the ocean.

but at the same time you get kinda tired of the grey and the green hills/trees/hills again of oregon. what would be the best palette change in the Midwest that isn't also a shitty place to visit?

you're totally right
i'd either move north or to the midwest if i could right now

The thumb is the most boring place on earth. The only reason to go there is the beaches. If Bay Cities beach wasnt basically sewage there would be no reason to go out there

I'll take freshwater over ocean any day. I always feel like I just got done swimming in a giant's load after I've been in the ocean

I played a show at a skate park way up there once. There's really not a lot going on. I was amazed there was a skate park

Well this is a convenient thread. I'm considering moving to Michigan to go to community college there and hopefully transfer to UMich. Part of my family lives in metro Detroit but I would never go there. So I would be going there alone. Is this a good idea or not? Also considering Wisconsin or Minnesota.

U of M Flint is a good way to springboard to U of M, but it's in Flint, sooooo...

i'm a vain piece of shit and love what salt water/sun does to my hair. its like my fountain of self confidence

Umich is pretty hard to transfer into. I know UM flint has a guaranteed transfer program for engineering. Where in the state are you looking at moving to?

being black used to get you 20 extra points on admissions

Currently state schools in michigan cannot make decisions based on race, but they can based on economic circumstances, so If your really poor youre basically black.

Isn't the midwest literally hell: the general area?

I mean I did really well in high school. I'm just going to go to community college to save money. I got into UM-Ann Arbor when I applied earlier this year.

>Where in the state are you looking at moving to?
Ann Arbor, Muskegon, Flint, Livonia

>so If your really poor youre basically black.
can confirm, user. can confirm.

also hispanic.

Definitely. I'm not going to lie that I love taking trips on the weekend to New York. I loved Boston when I went to school there. However I couldn't see myself living there anymore.

Mott (Flint) is for retards. I took a homophone test in an English 102 course, also most students didn't know the difference between fiction and non. I honestly don't know how they made it through high school. I wish I was making this up. U of M Flint is a little better and less open to the "locals"

I say avoid Flint, go with something near Ann Arbor, but don't listen to me

>less open to the "locals"

Flint is one of the worst cities in the entire US. The suburbs are ok though. Ann Arbor is nice but expensive. Livonia is basically just a generic Detroit suburb. I dont really know a whole lot about Muskegon im on the other side of the state.

hey, I want to buy the world a fucking coke and sing in harmony and shit, but it just ain't that way. These people are violent nightmares. Every day I open the paper (every other day because we can't afford to print every day) and it's murder, assault, rape, murder assault, rape. I'm not going to pretend to know why; I'm no more a geneticist than I am a social scientist, but it's just like that. There's just some places you don't go

I'm in southeast Kansas (extremely rural) and I feel pretty good about it

can't really stand to be in highly-populated urban areas for more than a few days at a time, it just feels so oppressive and dehumanizing

Live in wisconsin, everybody i grew up with wanted to leave and go somewhere more exciting. Basically the feeling that this is the lamest place.

s/o

>- Most people are of German ethnicity (AKA ugly)

this

I actually grew up in Maine. For what it's worth, I really miss the ocean. Lake Superior isn't quite the same.

I've lived in Iowa most of my life, the city I live in is filling up with people from Chicago trying to escape the violence and provide for their families, but along with them come their kids who want to play gangbanger and it's been this way since the floods of '93 and got even worse in '08 after those floods. Small towns are starting to have opioid problems too. The people who aren't shooting each other or strung out on 5 day benders are usually pretty nice though. Rural communities where there aren't major drug problems are pretty /comfy/ though. The state itself is beautiful though when you get out of the major cities and farmlands. I like to take a week or two off from time to time to spend time in some of the state parks and just spend some time off grid and away from everything.

Minnesota here.
I fucking hate this state, these small towns suck and it's almost impossible to get a job around here.
Oh yeah, it's comfy as hell if you enjoy flat featureless landscapes with corn and soybeans as far as the eye can see.
FUCK.

>Minnesota
>Flat

Go further north and spend some time in the hills user. Also what kind of job are you pursuing, that might be the answer to your problem.

>Rural communities where there aren't major drug problems are pretty /comfy/ though

This pretty much encapsulates rural areas everywhere. I'm from Canada and the more "rural" areas outside of metropolises are a strange mix of very family-oriented and filled with scummy low-lifes

I fucking love Maine man, it's probably one of, if not my favorite state.

I'm a paramedic in the city 2 days out of the week and then I run with another service in the northern half of my county on the weekends. It's sad to see some of the communities start to just get consumed with drugs. I definitely feel that mixture though.

Should have specified, I live in Southern MN. Its just spread out tiny towns with a few small-mid size ones inbetween. It's miserable. It's either a bunch of old people or meth heads around here.
As for jobs, I just want something that isn't god fucking awful. All the retail places are full, even. It's getting to the point where I'm gonna need to get into fast food, can anyone gimme a rundown on how those jobs are?
I mean, I didn't go to college, but I'm not horrible. I can socialize fine, I look presentable. But if you're not going in for a medical job, you're gonna have to reach, hardcore.
I hate this fuckung area.

>worst part about shitigan is driving through the ovenmitt just to get to the UP

t. ohioan

I thought I hated living in Miami but all these posts make me glad i don't live in some shitty little small town. How do you even get jobs that aren't super localized? I'm a behavior therapist and it seems like I'd have zero clients, at most 2 or 3.

Same. I love Minnesota, but I get out to see my grandparents out in Maine every chance I get. It's kind of weird, but I love Arizona too. My aunt lives out there, so I go down to Tucson to visit her every so often. I'm a big fan of the mountains down there.

I've worked both retail and food, I disliked both but that's because people that you have to interact with are usually in a rush and think they are above you because your not making as much as them. If you are going to choose between them then I'd say retail. Check Craigslist for jobs, there's a lot of trucking jobs in the midwest if you have or are willing to get your CDL and pass a drug test. Farmhand (after a few years I got paid $22/hr to sit in a gps guided combine and make sure it didn't fuck up) wasn't a terrible job either but it is seasonal. Trade school isn't a bad option, you can usually get a certificate in 1-2 years and start as an apprentice and make your way into a union job. The railroads around your area are usually hiring too, they like guys with CDLs as well.

My dad is from Windsor VT. and I have family scattered throughout the new england are. I try to go visit every couple of years. I'm looking to be a traveling surgical tech out there when I finish classes.

I'm the guy from Duluth. I got my master's in math and moved to one of the regional cities. Most of the jobs are in the small cities that dot the area. It's really sad what's happening to the rural areas. Jobs are leaving the area really fast. In a lot of the areas if you're not working in one of the local industries (that's liable to have been shut down by now), you're working in health care, a city job, you're one of the lucky few to have snagged the other notable jobs, or you're left working in some sort of service industry that keeps your town a pass-through town.

Vermont is gorgeous too. I love the whole NE. It's incredibly overlooked. There is a lot of good local music out there too.