Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1850

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

The best DJT threads are made on Sup Forums. I love Gaijin!

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

incubator.duolingo.com/courses/ja/en/status
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#やる(1)
vocaroo.com/i/s0a0MNXz8oDW
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:1000_Japanese_basic_words
mega.nz/#F!NRhQwZBC!UmYhmcQLTBN8w08ew_BVuw
i.imgur.com/tqGdrhK.jpg
mega.nz/#F!xZBCSSKB!VX4380uDNqmyFD36ngHmQQ
i.imgur.com/IMzzoXi.jpg
hinative.com/ja/questions/170872
youtube.com/watch?v=4a5kYYcnEKw&index=21&list=PLKXh-Ws5EDvBLFOUEAepvWPH3U0tGWOui
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

我が大統領たらず

Leave it to an American to be an obnoxious, uncultured cunt.
Good work champ.

Leave it to the Australians to be too dumb to understand the reference and take a joke.

chillax or they'll nuke us

So. Duaolingo. EN->JP.
Make it happen.

incubator.duolingo.com/courses/ja/en/status

Don't let Klingon get there first ffs.

>As the goal of Duolingo is to get people to learn the language, each skill (containing between 1 and 10 lessons) has a "strength bar" that corresponds to the computer's estimate of how strongly certain words or constructions still exist in the user's memory. After a certain duration of time, strength bars fade, indicating a need for a user to refresh/re-study that lesson, or to "strengthen weak skills."

KEK

So, can I get some guidance in pic related?

Thanks for another great thread, Mr. President, and USA-made, too!

される is a passive verb.
>あなたは保護する
You protect
>あなたは保護される
You are protected
に marks who or what the passive verb is being done to the subject by.
>私に保護される
You are protected by me

FUCK, so the verb connects "actively" to the subject, but attaching a passive meaning? That'll fuck my brain for a while, I can tell. But I see the logic.

日本語部分に一番時間掛けてるのはお前だバカ。
アホなのか。

なにこの説明
>「どこで、おほえた、そのセリフ」=どこで、その台詞を覚えたのか
全然倒置になってねえし。
疑問詞が文頭に来るルールが日本語のどこにあるんだ。

「体言止め」は『どこかで覚えたセリフ』とかの文にしろ。連体形の用言使え。
お前普通にバカだな。
『日本文はダラダラ後から付け加えるものだ』とかいう回答も大概だけど、お前の回答も目が腐るわ。

「/(?:.|\r?\n){1000,}/」←これ200文字くらいにしたらお前のpostも消せるのか。

英語学習者とかアニオタが日本語質問に答える趣味を持ちたがるのは、
完全に畑違いだな。。

まあSup Forumsだから当たり前か。

Trump's hair

this post fucked my brain

翻訳の質問があります。

in this thing i'm translating, a group of kids are talking and one says 「俺偉くなって…」 followed a little while after by (for context) 「俺、王様になるんだ!」
someone responds 「王様って偉いの?」

the (generally sloppy) given translations are "i'll become really rich" and "is a king rich?" which i don't think is accurate – but i can see where they're coming from because a "king" is in question. i'm thinking of using 'great' or even just 'famous' but it's sort of hard to capture the nuance that 偉い implies.

thoughts? アザス :^)

I have been recently thinking passive form could be translated into "to get -ed", I am not sure, though.
ex.
犬を噛む
I bite a dog. I will bite a dog.

犬に噛まれる
I am bitten by a dog. I get bitten by a dog. I will get bitten by a dog.

I am not sure which sounds good, "to be -ed" or "to get -ed". But passive form in Japanese sentece stands for the action, I think. So "to get -ed" is more appropriate, I guess.

i'd still call that passive; much less of a clunky name, anyway... didn't even understand you were proposing that as a name for the form (i.e. in place of the accepted 'passive') at first.

在这里有中国人吗?

literally means like
俺偉くなって…俺、王様になるんだ!
I will become a big shot/boy and .... I will become a king!

oh, i know the meaning of 偉い + the connotations in that sense. just curious about how to best translate the word in context, particularly in the「王様って偉いの?」line

>王様って偉いの?

I think its more like "great" than "famous".

in other word, 優れている could be similar

I agree that "rich" doesn't really suit the conversation.

Maybe something like "Do ya really think kings are all that great?"

yeah, i'll go with "great." was leaning toward that as well. thanks!

He's probably trying to find a way to unfuck this
By finding a grammatical equivalent. And hey, I think it works. Just gotta get used to the fuckton of active/passive verbs, they're hard to spot sometimes when the verbs are conjugated, but taking it easy should do the trick.

What does this say? これはもう 絵の上手い人に 掛ける...しか....

All we can do now is hope for someone who can draw well...

With no context, that's the best I can do.

Thank you. How would I say

"Emilia is for John" in Japanese?

don't forget the しか.... at the end
a

>… only…

ignore the 'a.' hit a key by accident.

you really need to provide some more context here. how is a person for another person?

賭ける じゃないの

Like as a love interest

i wouldn't say that sentence in english, to be honest. like who's assigned this couple to be together, or why is she for him?

多分そうね

It is probably 賭ける rather than 掛ける
賭ける means "to bet".

"Hey asshole, Emilia is for John".

これはもう絵の上手い人に賭けるしか(方法がない)
there is no choice but to bet/expect somebody drawing well (would do well something)

"これはもう~"だしな。
「描ける」だったらビックリする。

the もう means like "now that ....." in this case.

他の言い方で言ったら、「もうこうなってしまった以上、絵の」「こうなってしまったからには、絵の……」

「もう…するしかない」 means like "it is the only thing to do, now that blah blah.
I am not sure my english , though.

エミリアはジョンのものだ
I guess.

>the もう means like "now that ....." in this case.
correction
the もう might be similar to "now that ...".

Thanks

That しか is simply the first part of a しかない. The sentence trails off so the ない is omitted, is all.

>いいえ、あんたやれ
I know this effectively means "no you do it", but what is やれ? It's not a word on jisho that makes sense in this context

Does " 一度出し切ってしまおうか? " mean:
"How about you temporarily exert yourself" ?

Imperative form of やる (do it)?

>Imperative form of やる (do it)?
Oh that would be it
Are やる and する interchangeable or are they used in different contexts? Is やる just a standalone verb and not something that can be attached to the end of certain nouns to turn them into a verb like you do with する?

静かな男子と女子です。

Can the na-adjective here also modify the 女子?

in a name like Tomie, do I pronounce it To-mee or To-mi-ay?

probably.
it's not always an absolute

とみえ

没有

>60% correct on Anki today
Should I take a small break from studying new cards in order to cut down a little and dedicate some time to memorizing the ones I'm having trouble with?

why do I have to look at his stupid fuckface in a DJT thread

djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#やる(1)

Why does it mangle the . Well whatever, you get the idea I'm sure.

I love the Japanese google translate voice

vocaroo.com/i/s0a0MNXz8oDW

Go home, Merkel

Just finished 黒, I highly recommend it. It's an excellent manga story-wise, and as far as reading difficulty goes it felt like a perfect step up after finishing よつばと! It's mostly not too difficult, but there are one or two more difficult pages that offered just enough of a challenge for me (pic related).

Now to find something else to read.

Did you read all 13 volumes of Yotsuba? I'm wondering if it's worth finishing all of them before moving on to something harder.

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to volume 14.
How far in are you? By the end of it, it became my favorite manga I've ever read, it was an absolute joy. There were definitely somewhat diminished returns by the end of it, but I enjoyed it so much that I didn't care.

Just finished finished chapter 24. Laughed like a retard when Yotsuba asked if her father shit himself when he forgot his wallet.
I've definitely seen some improvement with my understanding since the first volume but It still takes a lot of effort for me to read this stuff.

sounds great

Definitely stick with it, then. By the end of it I could read it easily and quickly, the longest it took me to read a page was 30 seconds or so.

Do you guys know a good list of Japanese words with their English translation? I found this one some time ago en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:1000_Japanese_basic_words but I noticed a few mistakes, so I ended up not using it. Learning words by using flashcards just doesn't work out for me and I'd prefer to learn words before learning how to write them.

How to start thinking like a Japanese to finally get into their sentence structure? I can create correct sentences, but it takes me a very long time, figuring out the word order.

Unfortunately there's not really a shortcut for this, no matter which language you're learning.

Just try your best to stop relying on the crutch of translating words before understanding them. It just takes practice and time.

っつーの is supposed to be short for というの, right? If so, is の just explanatory/emphasis?

I don't understand the usage of っつーの here anyways; "I told you I saw (you do it)" wouldn't make sense because he's saying it for the first time. Is just used for emphasis in this case and has no real meaning?

っつーの is short for ての. ての means ての?

UMA

今晩は先輩たち

俺は日本語を聞く事本当に悪い

アニメを見るのが足りない、どうすればいい。

I think ての at the end of the sentence have special meaning.

>Now to find something else to read.
If you are after something in the similar vein as 黒、I recommend
リューシカ・リューシカ
mega.nz/#F!NRhQwZBC!UmYhmcQLTBN8w08ew_BVuw
i.imgur.com/tqGdrhK.jpg

すみっこの空さん
mega.nz/#F!xZBCSSKB!VX4380uDNqmyFD36ngHmQQ
i.imgur.com/IMzzoXi.jpg

What does ての mean anyway?

Is このいいです correct?
I'm still just ankle deep in grammar. I feel like it should be but I'm paranoid over exceptions and fallacies.

「よつばと」は本当に難しいと思うよ。

見てたというのに(『見てた』と言うのに)
hinative.com/ja/questions/170872
多分私も若者言葉から来た言葉だと思います。
I think the reason why it is the second time is that the first time is a voice of his mind.

You mean to say "This good" as in "[thing] is this good", right?
I'm pretty sure the correct way is こんなにいい.

I don't believe so
この is "this _ " and you're meant to follow it directly with the name of whatever you're talking about. If you want to use "this thing that's close to me" on its own, you'd use これ

in which case it'd be これはいいです

Could it be that it means something like "I'm telling you..." ? In other words, it implies non-past tense and not past?

how do you say "a delicacy" in japanese?

戦場で、女一人自分で守れないような奴が...
どうだ、だって?
随分かっこいいじゃねぇか。

Is this is basically saying a guy not able to protect one woman by himself on the battlefield isn't very cool is it?
Why is the last part かっこいいじゃねぇか, wouldn't that mean isn't it cool? じゃない still confuses me at times on whether or not it's meant as isn't it or it isn't.

何がしたい?

Up until yesterday my japanese keyboard layout was the way I wanted which is that if I wanted to type "か" I would type "k" then "a". Now it seems that each button on my keyboard is a separate character. i.e. "t" is "か"
How do I get it back the way it was?

What did you do that changed it?

Restarted my computer? I fucking hate windows. It looks the same but behaves completely different

never mind I figured it out. You have to go to the settings and change Kana input to Romaji input. I have no idea how this changed on its own

youtube.com/watch?v=4a5kYYcnEKw&index=21&list=PLKXh-Ws5EDvBLFOUEAepvWPH3U0tGWOui

>こんなにいい
No, that means "good to this extent." If you wanted to say "this thing is good" you'd say これがいいです or これはいいです

Please don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about, it'll only confuse people.

Reread his post sempai

whoops, looks like I'm the 馬鹿 now.

ありがとう、カナダちゃん

anybody got hanahira raw torrent? I need to practice reading, the version I got is in english.

The 一度 probably isn't "temporarily", but like "give it a shot this one time".
It's unclear who's doing the 出し切る-ing, but I'd assume it's "we" since the ending is "しようか". So the sentence could be translated as "Shall we give it our all?" with the 一度 being implied.

>To-mi-ay
This one. All vowels are pronounced on their own.

Yep, that's right.

>かっこいいじゃねぇか, wouldn't that mean isn't it cool?
You're right. I don't really know what the sentence is trying to say. Sorry.

On second thought, maybe he's referring to the guy's guts, as it were. He's physically unable to protect even one woman, but he's put himself on the battlefield, so he's got to have some serious guts. That would make him pretty cool.

But it's all conjecture.

Wait, the ending isn't the volitional form of "しまう" (making it "しまおう")?

If you're using the Microsoft IME, you can toggle that kana mode on and off by pressing ctrl + shift + capslock.
Maybe you accidentally pressed it when you meant to press just ctrl + capslock (to get to hiragana input).

>the ending isn't the volitional form of "しまう" (making it "しまおう")?
It is, that's why I translated it as "Shall we ~?"

Oh shoot, I think I misread. Thank you.

Can someone tell me the meaning of で in this sentence, and the meaning of と as well? What would the whole sentence be if she didn't cut it off?

I know the traditional meanings of で and と but I don't understand the usage here.

My university is running a course where you go to Japan for two weeks and study there. I'm currently writing a statement of motivation for it and am trying to figure out how to phrase that I find the language and culture really interesting without sounding like a huge weeb. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could say?