/Classical/

Do you guys have any megas that contain Sheet music?

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

classicalmusiconly.com
youtube.com/watch?v=iWzlO7HkF3w
youtube.com/watch?v=wXh5JprKqiU
youtube.com/watch?v=kXSymRTugqk
youtu.be/APGn9uNwQuc
youtu.be/W_z2FZVp8Ns
youtube.com/watch?v=S-GEbbgT5Io
youtube.com/watch?v=ePBB-NO8vKg
youtube.com/watch?v=akk7MuJWIeg
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DJpaxT7wg
youtube.com/watch?v=cobaQ4PFsZg
youtube.com/watch?v=vXZO8HMrF_0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ah392lnFHxM
youtube.com/watch?v=2a2iObc6H00
youtube.com/watch?v=2tB2SLLnPZg
youtube.com/watch?v=hQMbo-WzqDc
youtube.com/watch?v=Yk717tZzKkk
youtube.com/watch?v=Di1F8GUvEtg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Downloaded the first piece in the first link. Didn't work. Downloaded the second, worked. Bartok violin concerto no 2. Literally what the fuck is that? Going to listen to the whole piece with earphones. I'm not used to listen to that type of classical music. I've heard some quartets that are like that too.

Why is he considered "great" again?

Because he wrote feel-goody music for aristocrats.

He wrote the best music.

Fuck off Poly

If you need to ask that, what are you even doing here?

>Because he wrote feel-goody music for aristocrats.
>struggled to maintain a job and died in poverty

You tryin harder than me OP, i just try and get lucky on google searches. Bad time, Id rather improvise and play with scales.

there's a really huge mega link for sheet music called IMSLP.org
good luck trying to find something written in the last 50 years tho

their fucking timer screen drives me up a wall
I wish someone would put up a mirror

i usually shitpost while waiting for the timer

reminder that classicalmusiconly.com is one of the best and most underrated classical music websites

Can someone give me a non meme answer as to why Rachmaninov is bad?

Well both are true mostly. He died relatively poor because he was a better composer than money manager. His widow helped redeem him and turn a profit from him after his death. Aristocrats are fickle, and there were lots of composers vying for their scraps. Mozart was the wunderkind early in his career that everyone wanted but by the end of his life he had fallen out of fashion which is why late pieces like The Magic Flute was more a populist opera for the plebs rather than made for court entertainment.

>Sheet music
sheeeeiiit

Can someone tell me what the music at the start of this is?

youtube.com/watch?v=iWzlO7HkF3w

turned boring superficial music for aristocrats into a high art form for all and everyone

Exploited romantic standards long after the death of romantic art (he was a contemporary of Schoenberg and Scriabin, for god's sake)
But old wealthy American ladies loved it anyway, so who cares, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=wXh5JprKqiU

Thanks senpai

Eisler
youtube.com/watch?v=kXSymRTugqk

He wrote the most beautiful melodies.

nice commie music
but i prefer the soviets

Prokofiev and Shostakovich are pretty good.

huh, they're not just good, they convey the spirit of that age

Do you know any classical music that sounds like these ones:
youtu.be/APGn9uNwQuc
youtu.be/W_z2FZVp8Ns

Just getting into classical, so far I'm digging Xenakis most, with Penderecki as a close second. Any more like this?

Ligeti, Nono, Kagel

Well I don't know much about classical Muslims as I'm only new to it so I'm not at the a level of understanding what is considered good or not.

lol what

*music

youtube.com/watch?v=S-GEbbgT5Io
youtube.com/watch?v=ePBB-NO8vKg
youtube.com/watch?v=akk7MuJWIeg

Autocorrect my dude

If you like it, just enjoy it
we don't enjoy things here, we judge things

More like mind rotted by too much Sup Forums

Is Biber one of the most underrated composers ever? His work for violin is outstanding. He does things that if they came from someone like, say, Bach, many scholars would be wetting themselves and talking about it with no end.

Well he doesn't do much else other than that. It's more like stunt playing, the equivalent of Jimi Hendrix playing his guitar behind his head. He's good and so are his other works, listen to his Batallia, just hasn't the range of Bach.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DJpaxT7wg

So who actually wrote the tocatta and fugue in d minor, and what else did they write?

youtube.com/watch?v=cobaQ4PFsZg

Bach did the WTC.

Jesus fucking christ, what the fuck was going on at 1:44 in this video, holy fucking shit, I can't believe it

Petzold

oh my god my sides are in orbit

lol

Of course, I never meant he's as great as Bach. My point is that sometimes the awesome works from not so well know or not as great (albeit amazing enough) musicians are neglected because of who they are; or, to be more precise, because of who they aren't.
I've been listening this morning to Harmonia artificiosa (by Savall), and I've heard the Rosary Sonatas as well, and I believe it's outstanding music often neglected.

I use scribd for things not on IMSLP, I just make random drawings on paint, convert to pdf and upload it when asked.

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=vXZO8HMrF_0

I love the ludus tonalis

Is there a piece of music comfier than the Goldberg Variations?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ah392lnFHxM

youtube.com/watch?v=2a2iObc6H00

Can you recommend me something like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=2tB2SLLnPZg

tchaikovsky, the list can go on..

his music is often bloated and repetitive, but so's the emperor concerto so who the hell knows

youtube.com/watch?v=hQMbo-WzqDc

now shut up

its supposed to replicate drunk people at a pub singing a bunch of different folk tunes from different countries

who /zelenka>bach/ here?

youtube.com/watch?v=Yk717tZzKkk

Why the hell are these threads being deleted?
Or are they just dying because no one posts in them?

Thoughts on Erland Von Koch?

the bumblebee man wrote nothing worthwhile. prove me wrong.

literally vho?

bingo

I never said he was good at it :^)

>getting into classical
>start with retarded postmodernism

Harry Partch

Koch's music could have been composed by any of the thousands of 20th century composers who did not wish to emancipate the dissonance. It is extremely middle of the road and inoffensive. It is also unmemorable

Neither of those composers is postmodernist. Schnittke, Zimmermann, Cage, and Kagel are prime postmodernism.

sadko's song is great, fuck you

Yes agreed they are Trash. The quintessential postmodernist composer is Berio tho . And yes he is also trash

charles ives gets way too much credit. baroque composers in general were way more adventurous than bach's work would lead you to believe

I like the Sinfonia, but a lot of his music seems excessive to me. I wouldn't say trash necessarily, it just isn't my taste.

Of the composers I listed I probably like Schnittke the least. But I seem to have an aversion to most Russians who aren't Stravinsky, so that may be the real issue.

What would he listen to?

Some gay ass pipe and string shit.

Lick me in the arsch

>starts with classicel
>with Xenakis and Penderecki
Dude wtf

well if wagner's any indication it would be real fucking ponderous

The Golden Cockerel is one of the most important pieces of music ever written

>Scheherezade and spanish caprice
Worthwhile

You really do live in a classical bubble if you don't understand how Penderecki is often a lot more accessible to people brought up on modern music than Mozart and Bach.

some Norse folk?
youtube.com/watch?v=Di1F8GUvEtg

certainly not (post)christian european classical

It really isn't, it's a good piece but I don't know where you are getting this bullshit from.

you really do live in a retard bubble if you don't understand that the appeal of penderecki to pop listeners is they're rebelling against everything that makes pop music appealing. if you give pop listeners a choice 95% of them will choose mozart. I mean goddamn, his name even has the word art in it.

know some good norse folk?
I'm sure there will be some trad lovers present in a classical thread.
that sure is some nice fiddeling.

Fair enough bubble boy, you stupid kunst.

late Rimsky-Korsakov enormously influenced French impressionism and later modernists, namely Stravinsky. Along with Mussorgsky's operas, the Cockerel signalled a shift from German Romantic canon, paving a way for the young French and Slavic composers
Perhaps without all this French art would remain decent but mediocre, crushed by the Wagnerian wave

CRUDLBUD SAY HI PLEAS

Does anyone have a link the stuff by the Unicorn Ensemble?

I'm specifically looking for this album but I would also like Carmina Burana and Music of the Troubadours if you have it.

citation? rimsky-korsakov certainly wasn't the only anti-wagnerian in town, faure didn't care for him much and satie pretty much crystallized the reaction against him. but the french modernists idolized dukas of all people so I really don't know WHAT to believe

I could see someone who was previously into stuff like noise rock, krautrock, ambient, etc get into modern classical easier than classical era classical

What's the best organ recording of the Art of the Fugue?

yeah that's all well and good, and I've got nothing against penerecki, but as much as it pains Sup Forums to admit this the typical person does not find krautrock, noise rock, or ambient to be appealing music either.

you are correct but Sup Forums wise, I think starting with penderecki, ligeti, etc is reasonable though obviously it depends on how accustomed they are to weird

>anti-wagnerian
Rimsky-Korsakov wasn't anti-Wagnerian at all, no one was, the Cockerel was mostly Wagnerian work, it's those fresh new rhythmic and melodic elements (often inspired by folklore) that made a difference.
>but the french modernists idolized dukas
Debussy owed so much to the Russians, he certainly absorbed some radical ideas unheard of in Western Europe, and mentioned Mussorgsky as his biggest influence, even bigger than Wagner, since it was Mussorgsky whose works showed him a way out of his Wagnerian impasse, moreover, Satie was under the same influence.

I dunno, I think the structure of that kind of stuff must be very difficult to parse for somebody who isn't familiar with the classical style, and there's a tendency to just focus on the sounds and maintain a very shallow understanding of what you're listening to. mozart is sorted into more easily digestible sections. but of course modern stuff is less jarring than it would have been 50 years ago.

satie was influenced by mussorgsky? my impression is he tried to avoid following him. when I spoke of the french modernists I meant the late style, not impressionism but the drier late period debussy style -- think tombeau de couperin or book 2 preludes

Speaking of Rimsky-Korsakov's operas is there anything better than Gergiev's performances?

Modern music cannot all be lumped together. Penderecki is very visceral, superficial and easy to follow where Schoenberg is pretty much nothing but dense contrapuntal motivic development and people find even his early works difficult despite their romantic idiom.

maybe I am in a bubble. as a classical listener I find verklarte nacht much easier listening than threnody for the victims of hiroshima

>satie was influenced by mussorgsky?
definitely
>the late style
Satie collaborated with the Ballets Russes for a good reason

can you give me a concrete example or two of this musical revolution from mussorgsky? because his more well-known works don't seem to have much to do with satie to my ear

I think Penderecki has the advantage for newcomers coming from popular music because his work, at least the avant garde stuff, is noisy and aggressive but has very simple underlying structures, just like rock or much present day hip hop. It also doesn't hurt that he is somewhat well known from his being featured in famous movies, just like the aforementioned Ligeti.

Schoenberg is much more traditional, his music is melodic, harmonic, contrapuntal, it concerns itself primarily with constant development, and its structures are very intricate and difficult to grasp even with multiple listens. If you're used to popular music verse chorus structure and simple riffs/beats, Schoenberg will be difficult to listen to for a lot of the same reason as Brahms or Bach.

that's an experimental question and I think we'd need to have some uninitiated pop listeners to verify it. I strongly suspect that someone who listens to top 40 radio would prefer verklarte nacht to threnody. they would perhaps find VK "boring" but TVH would be "annoying". Again there is the problem that part of the success of this stuff has to do with its "weirdness" rather than the pleasure of hearing it; within the group of fans who come from the pop world there is a strong selection bias for people who want their classical experience to be as far away from what they consider the "mainstream" as possible.