$15 minimum wage?

>pros?

>cons?

discuss

why would i pay you 15$ when i can pay 13$ maintenance cost robot?
where will you work if they all replaced you with robots

Raising wages is an extremely good thing for the purchasing power of a nation. But this must happen in a market conform way.

> For example;
Influx of illegal immigrants creates a huge supply of labour. If demand does not increase equally or more you'll see a drop or stagnation in wages and a decline/stagnation in purchasing power
Which is bad for the economy

If you could make sure the supply of labour would stagnate or fall while making sure the demand for labour stays the same of keeps growing a little bit you'll see something different.
Because there a more jobs than people who want to work, employers will start rising wages to attract employees (producing will still be more profitable than not producing). The rise in wages will create more purchasing power pushing demand higher and higher and thus is good for the economy.

> cont.

kek Raising, i'm sorry Rising*

>Pic Related

Also, raising the minimum wage disposes of unskilled labor while increasing demand for skilled labor (automation/maintenance)

>$15 minimum wage

Pros: You get more money to buy soon to be more expensive products.

Cons: Look at the man on your left and the one on your right, one of them is heading to the unemployment line.

>pros
one step closer to forcing corporations hands into automating everything and bringing on a post-scarcity economy

>cons
a lot

why don't they just make the minimum wage $100/hr? then we can all be rich.

>American
>Get shot
>Can't afford hospital bill
>"Oh well, at least I can buy an extra 0.15 burger"
>Die

Why do Americans even complain about minimum wage? How about you stop working at Walmart, get skilled in some field and look for a job that doesn't pay only minimum wage?

>Just look for a job that doesn't pay only minimum wage

Your query came back with 0 results. Try another search?

Let's say the governement enforces companies to pay $15/hour regardless of the 'market'.
If your influx of cheap labour stops this too will correct itself and turn into something postive because reasons in previous post BUT

If your influx does not stop and companies must pay $15/hour minimum. You'll get this situation.

> average illegal immigrant is poor as shit
> this means he will not consume as we want to
> he can't get a job because he is illegal inside the regulated market with a $15dollar wage.

> meanwhile companies are seeing that while the population grows the demand of their products doesn't really grow.
> $15/hour in a market where production doesn't grows

2 options
> stop business because RIGHT NOW not producing is your highest profit (read: having small losses). All workers are laid off

>Swap all workers with cheaper robots to increase profit margins. All workers are laid off

This. No one should complain about minimum wage. They should apply themselves and find somewhere that pays better. Minimum wage jobs are for teenagers so they can learn that they better not fuck up and end up like his 40 year old coworker doing the same job.

Minimum wage sets a bar that companies just have to meet. If there was no minimum wage the wages would be more competitive.

It's an arbitrary number. Obviously (I assume) it's going to be scale to inflation, so it'll be $15.36 or something by the time it's actually implemented.

Rather than a nice round figure, it would be logical to make it some function of what the market rate would be, so that you could measure the impact on the wider economy of raising or lowering it

People mistake minimum wage with living wage. what the fuck is a 16 year old going to do with 15 an hour? entry level jobs that have shit wages are necessary.

>Pros
-The few people left after everyone else gets fired will be making more.
-Robots will be less annoying to deal with than stupid minimum wage workers.

>Cons
-More retards will be sucking off the teat of welfare

Or being the dicks that they are, agree on an even lower wage

I'm a fan of decreasing public welfare programs and instituting universal minimum wage. The government should be able to afford to put any stupid fuck who can't find anything better to do to work for 7.25 an hour picking up trash on the side of the highway, replacing lightbulbs, cutting laws, or doing paid charity work to better the community.

This makes it so no stupid fuck has an excuse to stand on a corner with a sign, and gives anyone easy access towards experience, referrals, recommendations, and not shitting up your neighborhood.

Because you need the Skills to pay the bills.
Try looking for a job in Florida if you're under 50. They hate millennials because they don't think we take the job seriously. Even minimum wage fastfood will slam the door in your face before you can finish "Are you hir-"

Then don't work for them.

It won't work because all government jobs are unionized. Create a min wage work program, it gets a union, immediately complains they don't get paid enough. We have teachers making $70k for working half the year complaining it's not enough

It won't get a union, because the only reason those jobs will exist is because people are willing to work for absolute minimum.

Hopefully this won't replace any current public sector jobs, but will use welfare money to create NEW jobs. Also public sector unions are literally scum of the earth.

>Everyone stop working for companies
Wew

>pros
Sounds good on paper

>cons
Companies will find ways to eliminate jobs. Fast food joints are already doing it. Companies always win in the end. For example when Obamacare happened the company I worked told us under no circumstance were we allowed to schedule any employee more than 20 hours a week aside from management to avoid having to offer benefits. It made for super high turnover rates and a shitty experience for everyone especially for management because we had to work super hard because all the employees were untrained idiots.

the ceo's will never take a price cut raising minimum wage will just make them fire people and raise prices

I an't wait for Trump to abolish Obamacare and reverse NAFTA if he can.

If you don't like the pay go somewhere else. Self employment/independent contractor is also a thing.

The unionized government workers would worry that their job is going to get threatened by these min wage workers. I think a better start is to work in order to keep receiving food stamps, do community service or something for them. They're starting to make you prove that you're at least applying to jobs to keep getting welfare and a lot are failing at even doing that.

MY FUCKING MCDONALD BURGERS WILL COST 5 DOLLARS ITS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

It is bad because some Wendys have employed robots as their workers I heard and we want actual people working.

A $15 minimum wage does not make the lowest skilled jobs in society worth $15, period, especially in the face of automation. Not every job can be completely automated but a number can be and forcing an artificially high minimum wage sooner just makes the breakeven on technology come that much sooner.

Even in jobs that can't be automated, the real minimum wage is $0. If a business can cope with the cost of labor increases they will pass it on to consumers in the form of higher prices; if the job is no longer worth offering then the position will be eliminated and the business will cease or move on to more profitable work.

>OP here

this is what I've gleaned from this thread + speaking with pro $15 minimum wage people I know and my own experiences:

pro arguments
> everyone should have a livable wage
> it will put more money into the economy via "trickle up economics" (I just made that term up)
> supposedly companies won't have to lay off employees because of this influx of money into the economy
> why should someone care what other people make? you should only care about what you make
> wages haven't been raised equally with inflation
> jobs that are already at or above $15 won't get screwed cause companies will HAVE to raise their wages

con argument
> people will be fired
> companies will automate jobs that can be automated
> a minimum wage of $15 will devalue jobs that are currently at $15 (like Abercrombie manager, emt, etc.)
> this won't help the economy, it might just raise inflation
> a higher minimum wage will make it way more difficult to actually get a job anywhere
> jobs that are already at or above $15 will not be raised proportionally (read: at all)

did I get everything?

I think people should have a livable wage thats scaled with inflation, but I dont like the idea of higher education being devalued and the fact that skilled labor jobs that already make $15 are getting fucked over.

that's pretty much the summary list

the people will be fired thing is already happening though, at restaurants, at toll booths, though interactive voice response systems, etc... the past bears out the con side.

nafta benefits the us more than canada or Mexico.

Yes, please abolish it so we can make way more money off of Alberta.

>it will put more money into the economy via "trickle up economics
It doesn't work that way. If it did, a $100 minimum wage would mean prosperity for everyone! What minwage proponents think is that basic economics doesn't apply until you go over $15-20/hr, and then the negative effects suddenly materialize. They have a poor grasp of economics, to say the least. TANSTAAFL.

Another one: Locations throughout the US don't have the same cost of living. While $15 is sufficient in some areas, it's brutal overkill in others. In those locations, you crush local businesses, drive away jobs, or promote lawlessness via under-the-table pay, etc.