Today's Google Doodle

Fuck yeah, I can be a DJ for the first time in my life!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vPutHJ4qCss
youtube.com/watch?v=5L9204LZDUc
youtube.com/watch?v=KbFIGFv4GLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IIFH4XHU228
youtube.com/watch?v=36J6gOkxeNg
youtube.com/watch?v=vtw2-kL32YM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And once again, American hip hop totally disregarded the break and it was only made good in the UK with hardcore, jungle and drum & bass

wait so DJing is just playing two records at the same time? I've never bothered to look up what DJing meant. Holy fuck I'm laughing.

you can screech too

inorite, so simple

youtube.com/watch?v=vPutHJ4qCss
youtube.com/watch?v=5L9204LZDUc
youtube.com/watch?v=KbFIGFv4GLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IIFH4XHU228

This was honestly a total blast to toy around with and highly enjoyable. I hope this encourages others who are new to sampling and turntablism to give it a go. It's fun when you get comfortable enough with knowing what to do that you can make pretty much whatever you want

It looks like that on the surface, but it's incredibly more complex than that. Especially with the raw vinyl cut turntablism, it's a learned skill that's hard to master. You're basically having to manage two songs that aren't meant to go together at once, artfully finding a way to make the two initially incompatible beats come together. When switching records, you have to pre-listen to the track through another headphone channel before playing it over the speakers to make sure it matches up. It's incredibly tricky at first, but the payoff of when you learn how to do it is a blast. Proper placements of looping, cutting, scratching and other miscellaneous techniques can turn what initially would've been two tracks playing at the same time into a brand new composition. It's tons of fun to do, it just takes alot of practice and learning to master.

it sounds a hell of a lot easier than learning a traditional instrument.

well, anyone can play guitar

It's an entirely different skill set with its own set of rules. It might come quickly to you, or it might not come at all. Sampling (sample well, at least) isn't as easy as it looks. It's incredibly time consuming making a finished product out of it, whenever you're not doing it live.

I understand the problem that comes with comparing activities that require different skillsets........buuuuuuuuuut I still think it would be easier for the average person to learn it than learning say the piano.

What do you define as learning the piano?

They teach piano and sheet music to 10-year-olds user.

performing a DJ QBert set would be as difficult as any Tom Waits song, comparing popular music to art music though is stupid, say Sergei Prokofiev

who #808polka here

nice

>Tfw no Kendrick Lamar tribute

Google is for retards.

It was mainly focusing on the early history of hip hop. Kendrick wasn't even born until 1987

Doing both at the same time at different speeds

I bursted out laughing when I saw a polka record there. Are there actual DJs that mix polka with other things? kek

You can sample just about anything if you're good enough at hiding it. The Avalanches sampled Madonna's Holiday as a joke on Since I Left You. It's on Stay Another Season

Just came home from a blond.ish gig
AMA

stop acting coy. you know what I mean.

I'm gonna have to disagree.

>say Sergei Prokofiev
yeah but he was a hack

damn that funky worm

Disagree all you like but you're wrong.

why didnt i thought of that

they sampled cindy lauper and the smiths on GIMIX

I'm literally not though. But hey, keep ramblin on about how some retard with good timing is more talented than a classical cellist.

I already said comparing popular music and art music is dumb

you didn't unlock all the achievements, hehe

Drumming is just hitting stuff with a stick lmao
Playing piano is just pushing buttons lmao

Inagine how much harder a cello would be to play if the pitch was determined by the speed the bow was moving

Compared to using a turntable, a cello is like cheating at music

No. It's mixing tracks in and out of other tracks seamlessly to create a single long live mix.
And it's also beat juggling/turntablism... chopping and scratching beats to create something somepletely new.

DJ Kentaro is one of the best.
youtube.com/watch?v=36J6gOkxeNg

turntablism >>>>>>>>>>> rapping/trap/mumblerapping

Quads don't lie.

turntablism isn't traditional instrumentation to begin with

turntablism, when you are trying to elevate it to compare to a trained classical cellist, becomes less an act of 'good timing' and moreso the innate ability of the artist to find and fuse samples to create something that wouldn't have existed but is still compelling to the listener. It's like asking a random person who can play guitar to write a pop hit that will stay on the charts, some people might just be able to do it while others can't. At least a classical cellist has sheet music to follow.

not necessarily two

youtube.com/watch?v=vtw2-kL32YM

Except DJs haven't used vinyls since the 80s

Did they spin cassette tapes in the 90s?

oh my sweet summer child

lls

So when exactly did turntables become obsolete from the world of hip-hop?

Depends if you consider turntablism hip hop because the main guys are still recording and performing

IMO it's just a different substyle of hip hop like trap or mumblerap.

When hipsters refound vinyl and it stopped being cool. Black music has often been "in opposition", doing stuff no one wants or likes, as soon as it becomes popular and whitey appropriates it people start to drop it.

I mean from mainstream hip-hop

when record labels realised solo artists were cheaper and easier to deal with than groups
about 1985
but it took a while for it to change the culture, about another decade

Are you joking? The number of vinyl hip-hop releases went from 18,000 in 1985 to 70,000 in 1990. The number fluctuated a bit throughout the 90s but held steady around 60,000 from 1998 to 2001 where it reached 62,000. While pirating, digital downloads, CD, and cassette sales had cut into that number, there were still multiple tens of thousands of vinyl hip-hop releases up until 2007. Most major label single releases got a 12" release for DJs as well. There was even a Bet Hip-Hop channel exclusive to Atlanta where in the mid 2000s, shows there feature turntables playing the instrumental verisons of current singles and artists would do a live PA version of the song.

oh of course, but while skratch piklz etc were all enjoying their extensive hashim doubles collection the mainstream hip hop world was closing ranks and converting 'hip hop' into 'rap' where the 'rapper' is one guy

also the real thing that killed turntablism was fucking trick records
no one had any idea what was going on after that, a lot of it became meaningless

True. Definitely solidified when you had the internet become main platform and the likes of Soulja Boy, who used FruityLoops to produce all his music (something pioneered by dubstep and grime and garage artists of the early 00s in the turntable-centric UK rave scene -- though those records were still pressed to vinyl, or at least acetate so DJs could play them out) and avoid the older trappings of turntables and Roland drum machines.

labels don't really like sampling, that's why they got all over kanye, they want publishing on everything
i don't even mind that it happened, hip hop records were never a real thing anyway, putting the rapper front and centre was never the point of it, really the first proper hip hop record is adventures on the wheels of steel

Yeah. I mean Paul's Boutique, Endtroducing, Since I Left You, etc. would not have worked if released by a label in the 20th century.

What? Mo' Wax the label Endtroducing... came out on started and ended in the 20th century.

Sorry 21st

ended being the operative word
speak to some people who were signed to mo wax ask them how their payments worked out

You faggot, it's autosynced. It's not a good representation of what DJing actually is. Even though people use autosync today, it's not the real work that would have to be put in when autosync wasn't a thing. The google doodle is a toy, not even that.

You literally are though. Post a video series of you mastering turntablism. Please do it. If it's so easy. As other posters have said, it's not just about having good timing, that's like saying playing the piano is just about having good timing. Yeah, you can play, but if you don't know any good melodies or have any motor practice it's going to sound like shit and no one will book you.

My advice to you would be to not talk shit on stuff you haven't tried or at least studied. You don't know what you're talking about. I'm not saying DJing is some elevated art form, but it is an art that takes technical skill and musicality to do well. Same with scratching a record, it's not just going "wwvwwvvshsshshchcsh" all over the place, and it's not just about doing it to a certain rhythm.

you can turn autosync off

>tfw modern hip-hop isn't even hip-hop anymore

its edm with rapping

I don't know why I'm so hyped hearing the music and reading about the history of hip hop.

Oh shit, I can do this. I'll just have to buy an extra crossley.