What does Sup Forums think of the religion Buddhism?

What does Sup Forums think of the religion Buddhism?

It's good. They ain't hurting nobody.

There are actually a bunch of violent sects of buddhism.

its still better then jews and niggers

and you suck dicks... what's your point?

This.

pics or it didnt happen

Better than the Abrahamic religions, but still totally unnecessary.

buddhism isn't really a religion as such, it was just labelled so by westerners. it's more of a philosophy.

When did Buddhism become a religion? Lol

Came here to post this, Western newbs don't know shit

the pic you got there is not the main, no. one guy in that religion, that is the real budda.

what U got here is the 'laughing budda', a person who also join this following.

this is what the real budda image look like.

Wasn't Buddha a pampered prince?

they're based

>chants aum
>thinks hes a full blown buddihst
>achieving nirvana

I don't necessarily "care" about any religion, Buddhism or anything else. As long as your beliefs are kept to yourself and these beliefs help you with your view of world, at the end of the day, caring that people believe things isn't worth it. When you're beliefs of the making of the world tell you to go yell at people who don't believe the same, that's when I have a problem. Faith should stay as only that, faith. Who am I to tell someone their entire view of the world is wrong? And who are they to tell me, I'm wrong? Obviously they have the right, but it's pointless at the end of the the day

Buddhism is one belief/practice that I respect wholeheartedly even though I'm atheist because it's more about teachings and bettering one's self. Obviously anything is going to have extremists that kill people blindly, but the full teachings of the 'master buddha' is what I can actually respect.

Buddhism began as a philosophy, yes, but there is religious Buddhism, as well. Basically people took the philosophy and turned it into a religion, which is where all the Buddhist gods came from.
If you want to say that Buddhism SHOULDN'T be a religion or wasn't MEANT to be, fine, but Buddhism is a religion that exists in the world now.
Maybe make sure you know what you're talking about next time before you try to be all arrogant and actually end up making a fool of yourself.

I think buddism is 9/11.

here here!

genuinely agree well said

I don't know much about it but if I recall, it's about focusing inward?
I can get behind that

Buddhism isn't Taoism. I'm a Taoist

This is also correct, in a way. Buddha told his followers "don't deify me" and a handful of them still did

I know that nobody will believe me and think im just trolling but i think i might have actually hit nirvana or had a glimpse of it and its intense as fuck. It hits you like a bus.Knocks you on your ass if you arent ready for it,

Nirvana isn't real dummy, you're just meat. No greater than the sum of your parts.

Literally are comitting genocide in Burma. They can be cunts too

Robert Wright? Is that you?

This guy makes a point. Although i wouldnt classify bhuddism as a religion, i can totally see how others would. Like everything in life, theres always the few that get religious about shit. There are bhuddists that you could consider religious about it. So it is a philosophy but treated like a religion by some.

There are doctrines.

I just like it cause it makes sense to me and the its even more interesting because of how old that philosophy is and stood throughout history even despite its passiveness as a collected belief. Typically it goes militant.

There is a sect that would be considered extremists, in Sri lanka due to the tamil tigers but in a way even that does make sense.

Just trying to fight back against terrorists.

>Nirvana isn't real dummy, you're just meat. No greater than the sum of your parts.
>being this dense
The education system really is failing us

I like grunge music too.

HANG UP THE CALL!

it was started as no dogmas or gods necessary
later they started making hindu gods buddhist gods... :/

Thats a bleak way to see life man. I am not really religious. Maybe "spiritual".

No greater than the sum of your parts? Lol.
Who is martin luther king?
Harvey milk?
Wima Rudolph?
JFK?
Abraham Lincoln?
Rasputin?
Even crowley man.

There is something else to us than just "meat". I see it as more like a driver in a car, our bodies being the car, and the driver being our mind. We take the odd turns, and get lost but i assume there is a destination and a reason we were meant to get there.

Thats just my way of seeing it. Looking around and feeling like im in a butchers everyday would leave a cold chill that i just couldnt shake.

Those morons worship a fat man seated on his ass.

Yeah its alright but you have to be in the right mood for it imo.

Less violent than other religions, but there are still violent people who somehow think this rather peaceful philosophy merits killing other people.

I don't see why reality is so bleak you need to make up "spiritual" aspects to it.

Yeah and then he became an ascetic.
So he's tried being very wealthy and very poor.

Buddhism is the only based religion.

As with anything, Sup Forums does not give a fuck. Carry on

Ancient religion for Asian people. Silly meme religion for pretentious Westerners to follow so they can show all their friends how alternative they are.
Also seems to have a phony rep for being a religion of peace when there's been loads of violent Buddhists throughout history.

Its not that its so bleak that i have to make up a spiritual aspect to it. I was just commenting on how i thought looking at it like its a butcher shop is quite a bleak way. Would you look at your children like steaks? Your partner a donner kebab?

I dont know. I encountered someone who essentially looks at it the same way. Like its all a meat market. Theres just a very jaded vibe to it. If were gonna be jaded, id rather it in my own way and so why not the more positive sense.

Why is it so beneath you to believe in something bigger than yourself.

Not the guy you were asking, but what is so great about believing in something bigger than yourself.
I mean if I wanted some old person butting into my life and how I lead it, I'd move in with my grandma.

Honestly , with how much bullshit every other well-known religion has brought upon this stupid fucking planet , i think buddhism is just fine.
No fucking terrorism , opression , scamming , and converting. I think most people of the religion are in it for the way of life , not some sort of divinity , which is the exact opposite of every other religion.
They's cool , is what im sayin.

That guy just sounds like a cannibal. Why do you pretend the only barrier to faith is ego? Why do you think existence is bleak if non-observable phenomena aren't real?

I love that they are killing mudslimes in Myanmar

I think it's not a religion and that it's a movement.

I also think they have some great ideas like the 5 precepts and the perceptions of skillful and unskillful actions.

What ruins it is all the impossible stuff about a virgin birth and afterlife.

The good parts all boil down to the golden rule (do unto others as you would have done to yourself) which has its limitations but it's the best have have right now.

The bad part is that demands that you believe in the impossible don't lead to peaceful regimes.

So the best thing to do is dump the bad supernatural shit and keep the good moral stuff and what do you have? Ordinary secular morality.

As with all religions and movements it's completely pointless.

It can help you deal with other things that are bigger than yourself working against you.Its hard to explain. I guess i had a lot of shit go down in a relatively short amount of time but the way i always got through it was by picturing a better a future. Not just for me but for everyone. I always thought that there must be a reason to still want to do that, despite life trying to make me go the other way.

And its in the moments that ive helped people, i feel truly happy. It wipes away all of people who didnt help me. But there must be a reason to want to do that in the first place and for it to feel naturally right. If were just meat then why do we feel so strongly and why can those feelings actually be so strong that we physically manifest situations, objects (art), songs, etc,..

Btw im not that old. Im 24.

Right? I was about to ask him if he has spare faba beans. Can you rephrase the last question. I didnt sleep much and pretty high so not sure if thats the problem or i just cant understand what youre asking me?

I dont "pretend" the only barrier to faith is ego. its a common one, and usually the strongest one. In that guy's case it seemed to be that way. I sense he had a heartbreak recently. Or a bad one a long time ago that never shook.

Ego is big on who you are seen associating with. These days, that would be the essential nihilistic media. So anyone coming in with a conflicted belief or philosophy, you get called a dummy cause youre wrong cause theyre right.

That is not buddha that is hotei.

Imagine all spiritual beliefs you hold are false. Why is your life significantly worse?

How many people have been burned alive and wars fought in the name of Jesus? Did Jesus advocate violence? They both taught you individually are responsible for your action, Jesus or Buddha aren't responsible for what you do.

According to the history I have read, if it is accurate, is the original Buddha was a prince who found more reason to his life being among common/poor people. His mother died. He was curious about what causes sorrow in life. Then it hit him one day that all the poor people he was studying were suffering from desire, a desire to have and have more. If you can relieve yourself of desire than so your suffering should be no more. You can analyze that as a higher truth that your mind can reach, or you can say he was a rich kid who had everything in life so what did he have to desire. So he got a head start on being able to reach higher mental planes by having all his physical needs met. His enlightenment came through death after meditating and realizing desire for life holds you to suffering as well. Through death is reincarnated as the Buddha or a God or reborn, whatever. This religion or philosophy is actually an adaptation of a much older sort of religion from a secret society. I won't go into the details because the secrets are kept from the general population so the powers that are unlocked in the mind after death are not known to most. My take is that Buddhism in its original teachings was the closest to this ancient secret teaching, of which all religions are adaptations of, and the figure of the Buddha is a good teacher for bringing you closer to unlocking some higher truths in your mind. But it still falls short of the religion that came before it

You dont want to know why mate.

But honestly, ive had them all along. I guess ive just seen too much to not believe. You cant show someone a red card, and then try to convince them that you never saw it.

Maybe once or twice but countless times? You know you saw the red card. You know its red. You know its there, because you were shown it.

Ive literally just seen too much for anyone to ever fully convince me that there isnt something more.

I dont think anyone is fully right and thats why.

The only one out there that really goes with that mentality, is bhuddism because thats kind of the premises. That none of us are right or wrong about what we choose to see and believe. Your life is your world. Its up to you to take what you want from this life. Be it materialistic, emotional, or spiritual. I tried materialism and it didnt really make me feel any better. I tried emotional and it can help but it make it alot worse too. With spiritual i noticed a calm and content i never experienced before.

If you dont want to live that way, i completely get it. Its your life. Its your choice how to see the world and life the way you want, same way its my choice. Thats why we wont really change the way we see it. But i believe by opening the mind and understanding it, even if not agreeing with it. Only serves to help because at least you see another angle to life.

Besides, everything in life is a distraction. Tv, books, holidays, etc,. Its all to distract us from the fact its going to end. So why not just embrace the end. I believe that being spiritual helps ease into that.

If you look it up, religious people outlive non religious people because they arent as stressed about the inevitable end. Theres a few positive reasons to be spiritual. Just dont go over the top like the control freaks that infiltrate every group within society and go militant about it.

Thats why i like bhuddists. Least amount of militants in it and thats because the way it was designed.

There are a bunch of buddhists who believe that a true boddhisattva can kill out of compassion to end the suffering. and I mean like healthy people.

Would you embrace death if an alternative were readily available? Say a pill provided immortality, stopped aging, and cost nothing with no downsides. Would you take it, or are you so certain that your soul lives on?

There is a story of a past life of Buddha where he was a Boddhisatva on a boat full of people. He kills a man who is trying to sink the boat in the effort to save everyone else. He still has to suffer in hell for a long time to burn his killing karma off before he is born again as the Buddha.

It's dumb just like the other religions.

I would not take that. Ever hear about being careful what you wish for? Sure the short term impusle of living forever would tempt you like nothing else. But a reason we appreciate life is because it is finite.

Look at the world, look at all the finite objects and the value placed upon it. Caviar and champagne. Nostalgic memorabilia. Oil.

The more you have of something, the less you savour and appreciate it. I love shrimp carbonara with basil and parmesean but if i was given a lifetime supply of it id fucking hate it after a year.

Thats life. It can be utterly shit at time. But you know its finite so you appreciate it even when its really in the fucking shitter. Because there is a good chance it wont happen again. Which is why you still fight for it. Cause you might not get it again.

As i said, ive just seen too much to not believe it. Its complicated with me. Its like i know i should appreciate the chance i got on this planet to learn and experience as much as i could on it. However, im not that afraid of letting go of it. Because i do have a feeling that, yes, our souls live on. Im not sure how. I cant tell you that. If were in the air. Or a tree. Or a slug. If its pearly white gates with a big bearded white man chilling by his long haired white kid.

For all i know it could be a woman. It could be unisex. It could be an alien. It could be a fucking dog. Fuck if i know.

But i do think that there is something that transcends beyond what our reality is or at least what were taught to see it as.

I guess with me, its like im gonna do what i can to keep my life and make the most of it. But the curiosity about what might come nexts outweighs the fear that there might be nothing.

So yeah, no i wouldnt take the pill. Because youre missing out on an experience, we are meant to experience.