Non-native English speakers: what was the hardest part of the language to learn for you?

Non-native English speakers: what was the hardest part of the language to learn for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1uyEc8jSEvv
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dealing with native english speakers that write and speak like shit.

dont remember, maybe using certain tenses naturally (still can't do it 100% of times)

phrasal verbs

this.

This

Never had any problem with it. I was fluid in written english by age 6 or 7. I still can't speak it for shit, though, because i litteraly never do it. Last time i ever spoke english was on some xbox 360 forza game 10 years ago, and all i said was "get out of my way, faggot".

This

pronunciation and motivation

What's that?

>fluid in written english
Clearly not.

i don't know either

Things like:
see to "I'll see to it"
Break down "The car broke down"
look down on "They don't want to be looked down on"

So verbs that just happen to be in phrases?

our languages basically developed alongside each other due to the old norse influence on both, it's why our grammar and sentence structure is so similar

so it makes sense why skandis find english so easy

I'll answer for them: it's th

Literally 90% of foreigners can't pronounce the sound correctly

Yeah, except you it isn't obvious what the phrasal verbs mean from the sum of their parts. Essentially they are the verb form of idioms.

A lot of Londoners seem to have trouble with it to, don't you fink?

Talking the same language that dumb bongs do.

Th is easy.

No it isnt.

I always thought it dealt more with the metaphorical meanings that prepositions can have than the verbs themselves. I know i have the same problem in German; prepositions are just weird

Can Swedes pronounce squirrel?

Skuirrul

>non-anglos call this "TURD"

>non-anglos pronounce "ball" as "borrrrrrrr"

vocaroo.com/i/s1uyEc8jSEvv

Articles

Skruuuurl :^)

KEK
why don't they just off themselves?

grammar

You mean 3rd!

kek.. can double as a straining sound

TH wasn't an issue for me but I knew for sure it gave a hard time to a lot of my classmates.
Personally I struggled the most with the pronunciation. Watching movies, writing and all this stuff is no real problem but as soon I have to open my mouth the eloquence is pretty much gone. Not like I don't say anything but not in the same manner like you'd expect.
While playing games I'm sometimes with some pals from UK in Discord voice chat and chatting is no problem but after asking for feedback they said I pronounce words not the way they are. I do wonder what would happen if I were to live in London for a few weeks though. In the end it's really just practise.

Countries like Sweden, NL, Crotia all have no dubbed TV so I guess countries like that are 'better prepared' in the end thus most fluency in english from countries like them.

>implying londoners aren't foreigners anyway

t. literally whonduras

>implying it's not the white people speaking like that
Immigrants to London speak better English than the locals

>white people
>london
pick one

Are you Putin? Why eastern Europeans always have to make noises with their mouth.

You spent how many decades, if not centuries, trying to civilize Ireland, and they still pronounce 3 as "tree"?

Britain had the best colonies, but jesus christ the bar is set low.

Its a thousand dollar mic that picks up all mouth noises.

articles, prepositions and idioms, because usage of these doesn't always make sense.

oi

prepositions

this fo'sho

look forward to
back off
hold on
etc...
you can modify the meaning of a verb by changing the next word. I till struggle with that tbf

these seem really obvious if you think about it, tho
maybe that's cause im a native

No they don't, it is just because you are a native speaker. There is literally nothing about "look forward to" that involves the future/time.

it's an enemy language
i still struggle with the fact i'm so good at it, but it gives me joy and pride as a son of the Motherland to be better at it than most enemy native speakers

Russian is a beautiful language, I feel bad for Americans who don't understand it and just see it as retarded gibberish

Russian is one of the best languages this world has to offer.

phrasal verbs
I often make a mistake

it was a joke btw

i won't even hack you if you're mean to Russia on the internet, you don't have to sweet-talk me

but english was easy for some reason

Pronunciation.

Not having articles is what I like about the Russian language. Russian is beautiful. Don't lose the accent Belarus, we native speakers find it sexy.

>fluid in written english
ha
cuck

For me it's the different way Brits use English vs Americans. It feels normal to say "at the store" and "in Tesco" but I've heard people from the UK use "at Tesco" more often. Also past perfect, I get "she had done her homework before she went to bed" but I can't use it on its own, I just use past simple.

I'm relatively fluent otherwise, pronunciation has never been a big deal aside from certain words (writhe, trough, Appalachian, Byzantine)

"th"

>implying English is hard

"at X" vs "in X" isn't necessarily a British or American thing. I'd say I'm "at X" when I'm just generally explaining where I am, while I'd say I'm "in X" if it was necessary that the listener knew I was inside of the building itself.

What? You'd say you "look forward to" something if it was impending. "I'm looking forward to that cake", "I look forward to the day that..", etc.

this. weird accents/ gopnik tier slang words.

also you never know how to write/ pronounce words because anglos dn't have their own alphabet
also this

Grammar

can imagine this being hard for non-english speakers

I can have trouble understanding guys the north of England or New Zealand's south island. I know one anglo South African who could barely understand Australians speak and just pretended he was dutch for the first six months he spent here so people wouldn't try to have conversations with him.

Right Preposition > Tense > inflections of verbs > plural > spelling of words and names > Proper translation for a word in Chinese exists but it doesn't come to me

That there was a british aspect to it

Petrol, like hahaha what the fuck? Just call it gas like everyone else

>call petroleum (a liquid) gas
>because that's what America does

Your text really sounds like someone scanned my brain and sorted out what I've been feeling when using English.

The spoken language.
English sounds are so different from italian, even japanese or finnish while grammatically unrelated would be a lot easier.

Can't remember anymore, but I'd guess the orthography. Why you gotta have things like "a" being pronounced like three different vowels, silent letters, etc. other retarded shit

>You'd use word if you meant word
Your lack of comprehension hurts.
Look: view
Forward: physical direction
To: destination

That metaphorically becomes temporal and anticipatory, but the literal construction just says you are actually looking down a physical path at the destination. That literal interpretation of the individual parts doesn't make sense with "I'm looking forward to tomorrow"

You Brits are too dumb to handle synonyms it seems

I'm not joking, I can't think of any other lingual aspect that was even remotely difficult to pick up. English is babby's second language.

I am not British

Your flag tells a different story

I am not British

Methinks it is you who lacking comprehension here. Forward as in "forward in time".

>Thinks gasoline is the same as petroleum
>The nation famous for abbreviations can't comprehend an abbreviation

Pathetic really

Australia is famous for abbreviations?

>british flag in the top left corner
that means you're british

almost every noun is shortened here, we're too lazy to say words in full
I am not British

You may look like a gook, but you still speak english and kiss the british queen ass.

Pronunciation
I guess since English has a lot of loan words you tend to get thrown off by spelling

English is my second language but I technically grew up speaking it, but I still get moments of not knowing that's how a word was said until I hear someone else say it (or until I try saying it myself and someone corrects me)

Before important uni talks too I'd have to google the pronunciation of some words to make sure I'm not making a fool out of myself

I am White

t. zhang/stavros/giuseppe/tawfiq

>pronounce 3 as "tree"

I-I do this.

How is it supposed to sound then?

th-ree

good luck learning how to make a th sound though

>I'm not a Brit
>OK gook
>I'm not Asian I'm a Brit
Get your story straight

>every white is british

oh god is this is the same as 'cecear' in spanish?

They pronounce 'c'(spanish) as 'th'(english) while we pronounce it as 's'.

For this reason alone I can't imitate the castilian accent at all.

wait, I meant s and z instead of c.

Yes, it's exactly that except English has 2, voiced and unvoiced the.

Articles and prepositions, we don't have similar systems in Finnish, so I have to learn all the cases separately.

sometimes I'll literally translate dutch/english colloquialists to English but generally as a dutch speaking person with an IQ over 77 english is easy mode

Don't worry about it. The Irish and various other native English speakers pronounce "th" as either a "t" or a "d". You'll get bullied by pretentious fags on here, but in the real world people won't care if they even notice at all.

English was easy as fuck, there are no hard parts

no one ever bullies anyone for it, it's just part of their accent

Pronouncing words you have only seen written. There's literally no rules at all. Also difference between w/v sounds when I was younger.

Pronunciation is fucking nightmarish
Sort your spellings out anglos

Might add plural/singular verb conjugation, which we don't have in Norwegian, but that is only a problem on 4chinz where I write shit without any thought.

blame the fr*nch for that

ye olde english was more straightforward from what I understand

I still can't be a non-native speaker, I don't know why, maybe learning languages is just not for me. I feel some buthurt when even schoolboys can speak better than I. Even now I have to put this few lines into the google translate to fix it.

this. Learning english made me appreciate how easy spanish vowel sounds are.

Isn't it like that with most languages? Non natives normally speak more carefully and concisely.

>You'll get bullied by pretentious fags on here
>implying I don't go on those vocaroo threads to listen to everyone's adorable shitty accents
It's like wanking but for the heart