I finished high school at 13, AMA

I finished high school at 13, AMA

What have you been doing since then?

Not much honestly, it screwed up my life socially and now I'm only ever comfortable when I'm by myself. I work overnight jobs and avoid people because I feel like I don't interact normally

You'd think someone who graduated at 13 would be smart.. What job? You gotta learn to integrate in society and hide in plain sight like Yagami Light and Dexter

Just some security at a couple places downtown, it pays the bills and allows me to read in my down time.
I know man and I do try but I feel like its all kind of pointless. I have a wife and son with another on the way, house and car so I definitely fit in but it feels like a mask.

You could be doing so much more. Didnt you go to college or something? Does your wife know about these, for a lack of a better word, issues?

What would you do? Intelligence and a driving passion aren't always tied together so tightly and more often than not I just pursue what interests me at the moment. I've taken a few courses but nothing cohesive. She catches small glimpses of it on occasion but for the most part I've learned to hide it well

Well Id say you've got a case of the underachiever. Pretty common in people with anxiety because of the fear of failing or something. Idk what I would do, im a below average student and a lazy stoner so, apples and oranges man. I do hate life but thats another story lol

Perhaps, I just feel like we've discovered all that we can and now its just speculating on what we can't test or achieve. It fucks up my perspective in the long term at least in the sense of achieving anything.

Why'd you drop out?

Theres loads of technology we can discover. The 20s of the 21st century is going to explode with new shit. All the old boomers will die and our generation can take over. Exciting stuff user

After freshmen year at 12 it was hell, so I took the ged test during break.

But to what ends? Technology improves but the fundamental use of it remains the same. It seems to me that humanity is just moving towards isolation. At the pinnacle of society I see us locked in our homes in our own little matrix that is perfect for each of us. Its so dreary

So it would be socially acceptable to shut yourself off from the outside world. Hurray for introverts. Cant really isolate yourself if youve got a family. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side, or you're just too pessimistic to see the bright side of life

Maybe but it's already happening, social media has replaced real friendship, online sellers and food delivery services have made it possible to acquire what you need, all that's next is for VR technology to improve vastly and we've become lost

Lost or finally found our place? Fuck people, all we need is dogs

Dogs are pretty legit, I have no counter for this

Cant wait till i can get a job just so I can afford to take care of a dog man shit. Things people are capable of is just shit. Not even talking about murder or rape, but lying and cheating and pretending to be your friend when they're really your enemies with secret identities and disguises that hide their true colour.

Ah so you're a brit, nice.

I did too user, good to see another fellow.

Nope, was just taught british english. I can call it color too.

Goddam MuriKKKans think they're clever.

They do make great companions when you tire of dealing with people, about a year back I was severely depressed because of some family shit and decided to get a puppy, she's always strong by my side and lends me strength when I falter

How's your life been going user?

Sounds good man, cherish her with everything you got. Dogs deserve to live forever, but unfortunately they dont

Did you have one that passed recently user?

Not recently, but grew up with a yellow lab, dumb as a rock but the sweetest creature I'll ever know. Wish he was still alive now that I really need him

Just keep pushing user, perhaps find another doggo companion. It may push you to better your situation

Well, on the whole. Your comments regarding social dissonance chime well; society is somewhere between bewildering and lunatic, and the social development that allows one to accept that was hugely stunted by the age gap.

Nice to hear that you found a wife, I've never managed a lasting relationship, I just end up social engineering and/or manipulating whomever I'm close with, and then getting disappointed when they don't live up to whatever expectations I place on them.

Besides that, got through my undergrad and masters a while back, got over panic attacks, and now I'm almost done with my doctorate.

Cant afford groceries for myself, how could I take care of a dog? I cant let a dog suffer like that just because im a depressed loner

I'm glad to hear that user, I still struggle with the occasional attack but I honestly wish I had your drive towards long term goals. Don't place too much importance on the social dynamics in your life, you've focused on improving yourself and that WILL pay off in the long run, everything in its own time. What were your studies in?

I can understand the logic but take them hunting. Not only is it good for their growth, it is a true bonding experience and it'll give you an opportunity to grow through a new hobby as well

Hunting is not common in my country so thats a no go. Probably be charged with animal cruelty if I do that. Plus he has to grow up first if its a puppy.

>long term goals
Really I think my focus on the doctorate has been an escapism. Academe is a closed environment, it is very safe, and (supposed intelligence and good social tactics) you are a reasonably large fish in a small tank.

What I still can't get over is the total lack of satisfaction I get from anything. I receive accolades, and far more funding than other doctoral students I know, but I can't really understand why. I don't think from any objective perspective I've delivered high quality research, compared to research whole, and to what my colleagues deliver.

As such, whenever I think about my next move, I can't help but wonder when I'll be unmasked for the mediocre individual I am - it's sometimes rather paralysing.

My studies are in both the foundations of quantum physics, and predictive quantum physics in the context of modelling quantum computing.

I have to get out of academe though, it's suffocating. Perhaps I can gear myself up to blindly chase money. I told myself I'd do a doctorate in physics when I was around 10, so that worked for more than a decade...

Well then perhaps work towards that as a goal, and it depends on the breed. I took my husky when she was 9 months and she loved it

how old were you when you finished high school?

Yeah but as I said, we dont hunt here. Ill just get a job when im done with school and get a nice dog to take care off. Love huskies, would love to get one like this

>escapism
I can relate to this, after I left high school I really felt alone in my day to day life and spent most of the next decade buried in studies to distract myself from the quiet. Quantum phisics and modeling are great fields to be in at the moment and are of great interest to me as well this year. Mostly as it applies to astrophysics (entanglement and coupling more specifically)
The suffocation is what dissuaded me from long term studies in university, or perhaps just social anxiety but regardless I felt I couldn't grow in that environment. Chasing something so common as money though, I feel might be a waste of your gifts. Buy crypto currency while its low and sell when its high, just try to avoid the bubble pop. Have you considered working with some of these company's invested in quantum computing?

They're ludicrously intelligent dogs and well worth the wait, just be ready, I got my pup when she was young, she was pure white up until about 4 months ago when she started developing a pure black coat. The pup you choose isn't always the one you get haha

Are you decently fit? Join the air force. I guarantee you will find new meaning, and if nothing else, basic training will help you with confidence training.

Looks dont matter anyway, its all about the character.

Thanks for the chat anons, im off to bed.
Good luck OP, cheers to you all

I'm pretty well fit I think, and while I do respect our forces I would never join. I have a 2yo son and a daughter on the way and they are worth more to me than what the service could offer

Cheers mate

If you havent figured out how to be happy even though you are a supposed genius, i have bad news. You arent a genius

Your post shows how little you know of intelligence user. By your logic spongebob has to be Bill Gates.

So that's what they call grade school now?

Thanks for the bump user

Alright gentleman thank you for the converations, I'm going to step out for dinner now.

I've never spent much time reading up on astro, I became fascinated on the axiomatic foundations of quantum, as it's still disputed. There's a general view that there are too many axioms in quantum, and that at least one should go, but less on which one. It's very interesting, remember, of course, that both special and general relativity originate from the removal of an axiom.

I did spend a summer trading forex, and whilst it was easy money that would honestly kill me. Money is a nice sort of goal, as it can accumulate, and there'll never be enough of it. As to how I'd try to get it, high-tech venture capital might be fun, as it exposes you to a lot of novel implementation. I think the commercial side of quantum isn't mature enough to yield any real returns yet. Quantum assisted algorithms maybe, I know of two companies (both Sachs spinoffs) looking at that vis a vis algorithmic trading.

I've never called myself a genius, user, nor would I particularly care to.

Currently happiness isn't really a priority, I mainly try to stave off boredom.

I understand your concern, but I actually joined because of my daughter and wife. The benefits package is something that ensures my wife can go to college and my family will have a guaranteed roof over their head, either free base housing or a paid allowance for housing in addition to my pay if she would rather live off base. More dependents equals more pay, too. We're doing okay and I have zero college to my name, and I can decently support my family. Life is good. I was terribly shy and almost a shut in like you, which is why I'm sharing my experience. I would never force someone to go military if they are truly opposed to it, but I do highly recommend serving. Its not war and guns for all of it. I'm a mechanic and there are desk jobs too. Even a job code exists for the guy that runs the front desk at the base gym lol. We all get paid the same, its guaranteed salary per stripe on your sleeve (more rank is more pay) and having a family means having more pay in addition to that. Nobody is more important than the other. A cook serves a driver who delivers parts to a mechanic who sets up a jet that a pilot uses to defend against terrorism. All connected, all respected, a great culture to be in as well. You will make good friends when the time comes. Good luck in your decisions, either way I wish you well