Is Sun Kil Moon's "Benji" the most sincere album since Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"?

Is Sun Kil Moon's "Benji" the most sincere album since Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"?

If not, what is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H7h3bd2YSWs
youtube.com/watch?v=JpvfQU53D3Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Common as Light was like uncomfortably sincere.

does anybody else have trouble taking a musician seriously if they make a song about drumpf

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
start here if you're serious

Trump 2020

Terribly musically though, although I'll say it wasn't as bad as Universal Themes.

Randy Newman made an entire album about him recently and it reeked of "Look guys, LOOK! I'm making fun of him! Can I be in the club? Please?"
Any kind of acknowledgment of Trump is the definition of low-hanging fruit.

I like it better than Benji because it's like its own little world. I could listen to Mark ramble about literally anything for 12 minutes each song for the rest of my life.

Hey I'M! the one who shills that album, not you!

calm down with "shill", what do you think the point of the thread is?

COMMON > UT > BENJI
stop being a pleb

stop being a tryhard

tryhard???
how is seeing the beauty of this song youtube.com/watch?v=H7h3bd2YSWs tryhard?

You picked the best song from UT. I don't like UT as a whole but even I like Birds of Films.

garden is beautiful also
youtube.com/watch?v=JpvfQU53D3Y
ali and rascals suck ass i'll admit. but the rest are amazing.

No I'm not baiting, most threads I see for "music for this depressing feel" I post A Promise. It's my 3rd favorite album

this is one of the least sincere albums ive ever heard

its good songwriting but its not sincere in the slightest

that transition in williamsburg blues is one of his best

Pretty much anything by Jason Molina

I haven't heard that one but my friends have nothing but good things to say about it. This would be my pick.

You could make the trilogy into a giant Quadruple album

Disc 1

1. God Bless Ohio
2. Birds Of Flims
3. I Cant Live Without My Mother's Love
4. Chili Lemon Peanuts
5. Philadelphia Cop
6. Truck Driver

Disc 2

7. Carissa
8. The Possum
9. Dogs
10. I Love My Dad
11. Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes
12. Early June Blues
13. Ben's My Friend

Disc 3

14. Garden Of Lavender
15. Highway Song
16. Bergen To Trondheim
17. I Love Portugal
18. Pray For Newtown
19. Sarah Laurence College Song
20. Window Sash Weights
21. Butch Lullaby

Disc 4

22. Stranger Than Paradise
23. Bastille Day
24. Micheline
25. I Watched The Film The Song Remains The Same
26. I Love You Forever And Beyond Eternity

>hey today i went to panera bread and i love my mom and i needed another song so let me tell you about how im friends with ben gibbard
you can talk down on itaots all you want but mangum is at least a good songwriter with clever uses of allusion and top-tier imagery.

>inb4 it's "stream of consciousness"
nah. ginsberg, kerouac, and burroughs are good examples of stream of consciousness writing. benji is just the ramblings of a boring middle aged white man that comes off as trying way too hard.

lol

This.

I just listened to it for the first time several months ago. Lyrics like "I didn't know her well at all but it don't mean that I wasn't meant to find some poetry to make some sense of this, to find a deeper meaning," on Carissa kind of bothered me. It might have been because I had heard Real Death by Mount Eerie a few days prior. The fact that Phil was so much closer to the situation made me sympathize with him. There are some tracks I really like on Benji, though

listen to 30 Seconds to the Decline of Planet Earth and Yellow Kitchen, you'll get sick of it

>no lily and parrots
>no duk koo kim

Love those songs, but his quadruple album only borrowed from Benji, UT, and Common