So in the end, what's moo consensus on post-rock: patrician or not?

so in the end, what's moo consensus on post-rock: patrician or not?

my favorite post rock: patrician
your favorite post rock: pleb

Literally the end-game of music.
Nothing will come close in terms of conveying emotion and feeling.

The cars is on fire and ur at the weel, op

yeah nothing more emotional than random voice clips set to mildly depressing music am i rite

THE ROOF
THE ROOF
THE ROOF IS ON FIRE

those crescendos really get the heart beating eh

The general consensus is first wave and some second wave post-rock are excellent but modern post-rock is largely uninspired, boring, and formulaic

The consensus was made years ago m90,
P A T R I C I A N

some albums are
and some albums are not

blanket opinions are for only the worst of plebs

>blanket opinions are for only the worst of plebs
>it's a blanket opinion

first-wave is patrish, second-wave and onward is pleb

C R E S C E N D O

I think you mean mew

Post your favorite feelsy shit that isn't post-rock so I can rate it 0.5 on rym.

Yeah mostly this
I'd argue second-wave is way better than third-wave because third-wave is mostly just Godspeed worship. You can only listen to 10 minute buildup into 6 minute crescendo or 4 minute buildup --> 2 minute crescendo --> back to 4 minute buildup --> final crescendo so many times before it gets fucking boring.
However, in more recent years there's been a resurgence in post-rock infusion and it's been pretty sick.

i'm gonna notice the last person to rate it, then i'm gonna go thru your profile 0.5ing everything you like

>However, in more recent years there's been a resurgence in post-rock infusion and it's been pretty sick.
like who?

moo

Maquinas - Lado turvo, lugares inquietos (Post-Rock, Shoegaze, Spoken Word, some Jazz-Rock)
Tangled Thoughts of Leaving - Tangled Thoughts of Leaving (Post-Rock, some Prog, other sounds not bound by genre)
Suffocate for Fuck Sake - In My Blood (Post-Rock, Screamo, Spoken Word, Sludge Metal)
Tatran - Shvat (Post-Rock, Math Rock)

Just a few examples, the turn of the decade has produced some interesting talent.

I'm the poster you're replying to. I agree with you, I was just using hyperbole when dismissing all second-wave, I mainly have a problem with that Godspeed worship you mention and all that youtube core shit.

Also that's Deaden the Fields by Tangled Thoughts of Leaving, I sperged out and my brain short circuited typing all that out

Elliott Smith has more emotion put in his music than all second and third wave post rock shit put together

I'm gonna listen to this, thanks. For some reason all I find for newer Post-Rock is crescendocore.

Is post-rock even a genre? Most of the bands sound nothing like each other except for the boring GY!BE crescendocore ones.

Post-rock is baby's first "experimental" genre. It's music for easy listening that feigns grandeur through being repetitive to a fault. Much like how pop music has hooks, post-rock has crescendos (which usually are a result of using a pedal to make the sound louder while playing some basic power chord melody) that are meant to reward the listener for sticking through a song, difference is most pop artists aren't pretentious enough as to put the chorus 12 minutes into a song. Post-rock and all genres that it pollutes (black metal, emo, folk) are complete cancer and the tell-tale sign of someone who just got into "weird" music.

It is loosely defined but post-rock is mostly about a lack of emphasis on riffs and powerchords and more emphasis on the use of guitars as a medium for texture. Having the guitar as a tool to create texture is where the term "post-rock" comes from because that is very typically a non-rock purpose for a guitar to be used for.
The only concise definition you can get is by music journalist Simon Reynolds who coined the term while describing the Hex album Bark Psychosis.

Bark Psychosis album Hex***

All I feel is pity. Hope you will know what immersion is one day.

i treat it as a catch all for any rock album that is influenced by a lot of other rock subgenres, but doesn't lean towards any of them enough to be classified as said genre. a lot of post rock is influenced by prog rock, yet they aren't "prog rock" enough to be called prog rock.

the problem with the genre is you get new bands that don't understand what the genre actually is, so they try to replicate the sound of preexisting post rock bands, like gy!be, which is why you get a fuckload of crescendocore in the genre.

this is the modern definition of post rock, which i believe has come as a result of new post rock bands not understanding why the genre exists in the first place.