I've tried listening to Genesis's early prog stuff and I seriously don't see the appeal...

I've tried listening to Genesis's early prog stuff and I seriously don't see the appeal. Its way too whimsical and wizardy, and I listen to Gentle Giant and Yes so its not like I'm not accustom to that kind of thing.
The only track of theirs that I actually ended up liking was The Musical Box.
Is that the best they have to offer or am I just autistic?

Prog general I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EeZRdd_1b4g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How do you feel about TotTO?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Have you heard foxtrot or sebtp? They are both spectacular and I don't see how anyone could dislike them.

Came here to suggest these two.
Give them a listen, go with Selling England first.

Not even Aelling England? I found that much more accessibble then their earlier ones.

Assuming you mean A Trick of the Tail, I'm listening to it right now and I'm liking it so far, definitely a better sound.

I've listened to some of the earlier parts of the album and about half of Supper's Ready, and it just sounds a lot like Nursery Cryme, which I didn't really like
As for Selling England, I haven't listened to it yet, but I'll go into it with an open mind and maybe come back to Foxtrot later

Even on selling England some songs sound too "whimsical." The only songs I truly found accessible on that album were I know what I like and the cinema show. It grew on me a lot later on though.

From what you are saying I asume you wouldn't like Foxtrot a lot, but give it a try, listen to it with a open mind, it is actually kind of different from Nursery Cryme, also if you have a preference for concept albums you my like The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, it have a more "pop" sound compared to the other albums (without getting really into the pop sound) but it is less "whimsical".

I actually meant Tales from the Topographical Ocean. What you described in the OP reflects a lot of my thoughts on that album

Haven't listened to most of Genesis' stuff (only Selling London so far which I really liked) so I can't really give any comment on their quality

Ohhh okay. Yeah I can definitely see where you're coming from. That album is a bit overboard. I really just like the Yes album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge

Yeah, that seems to be the general opinion. I guess I'll check out the Yes album

The whimsy and theatrics and medieval shit was really Peter Gabriel's thing. They kinda stopped doing that after he left. I really enjoy the 2.5 albums they released after Gabriel but before they turned towards poppy music. Wind and Wuthering is a super underrated album.

Granted I still like the medieval shit AND the poppy shit. Selling England and Duke are both practically flawless albums that have almost nothing in common.

>selling London

i've always thought Gentle Giant is way more "whimsical and wizardy" than Genesis, though i like both a lot

Early Genesis albums generally follow this formula:
>One or two amazing, life affirming epic songs
>Another epic song that's just okay
>A joke song that lets Peter do shitty accents which runs way too long
>A pop song
>The rest is filler

Honestly the early Genesis catalogue is spotty as fuck and is way overrated by prog nerds. As such, their best album is the one that completely breaks away from this template and manages to be excellent throughout, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

>A joke song that lets Peter do shitty accents which runs way too long
Kek

Fuck you though

Lamb lies down is awful though. The only acceptable choices are foxtrot and sebtp. Anything else is purely contrarian.

Maybe it's rated so highly because Yes is even spottier and fucking King Crimson is so spotty they could only release a decent album once per decade.

Have you heard Trespass, or just Nursery Cryme? Because personally I've always really liked Trespass.

I really like this album, but because it's so whimsical. A lot of it sounds like a Grimm fairy tale, where it's playful and whimsical, but also kinda fucked up. Maybe we just have different tastes though

king crimson had like 4 great albums in the 70s wtf

Winds and Wuthering is great. This is my favourite song by Genesis: youtube.com/watch?v=EeZRdd_1b4g

Umm... no, sweetie. They had Red. Larks Tongues is like .5 good albums, sugar plum, but let's not kid ourselves about the rest of their anus output in that decade.

Shit taste. All of their 70s albums are great, of which Red is the worst. Larks' Tongues > Islands > In The Wake of Poseidon > Lizard > Starless & Bible Black > Red
Their 80s output is good as well- Discipline is a classic, but I personally really like Three of a Perfect Pair as well.

Relayer is pure auralgasm

If you think Yes is spotty then you don't know shit and should shut the fuck up

Consistent Yes albums throughout:
>Close to the Edge
>Relayer
>

what about The Yes Album, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Going for the One, and Drama? Those are all more or less consistently good

>The Yes Album
>Fragile

Tales is wank

>wank
Not a bad thing

like pretentious wank. It's definitely not a good thing

no you're not autistic because you don't like a certain band jfc. early genesis does suck tho

TYA is close but no so fast: A Venture and Clap.

Fragile is a joke of an album and I'm not sure how you can't see that. It is choppy and bland and mostly filler. There are what... four actual songs on it? Roundabout is tiring by the halfway mark. South Side goes NOWHERE for a prog song. Long Distance Runaround and Heart of the Sunrise are the only parts that hold up over repeated listens.

It is a shame Fragile is considered their best album because it is probably one of the poorest showings in prog I can think of, outside of King Crimson's shittier material.

Oh my god kill yourself. You don't get to complain about Roundabout just because it's become so damn popular. And south side is a fantastic song. Same with clap. And I personally consider Relayer to be their best album, but that doesn't make Fragile even close to "one of the poorest showings in prog"

Peter Gabriel is shit and Phil Collins is the superior musician, anyone who disagrees is pretending.

I don't know man, a little bit of pretension can be a good thing in my opinion, and TFTO isn't nearly as pretentious as, say, anything by ELP. To be honest, I can't entirely see why people call Tales pretentious- if you ignore the word salad lyrics (which I actually quite like), it's just good, engaging music, only coming close to "wank" on The Ancient. It's actually pretty fun at times, and doesn't take itself way too seriously from what I know.

The idea of the album is probably the most grandiose and pretentious concept for an album I've ever come across personally, so I'd say it does take itself seriously

And Steve hackett is better than both of them.

>Oh my god kill yourself.
Wow great argument wtf I love Fragile now

Nice

Ok, so I looked it up and, though I knew it was about ancient scriptures or something, I didn't know the extent of it. Yep, pretty pretentious I guess. Sorry about not knowing. But still, I don't feel the concept takes away from the music too much. I don't listen to The Downward Spiral or Frances the Mute and think "mmmm that's some good concept". I like them for the music and the music alone, the same can be said for TFTO.

Best album was Selling England, second best is Duke.

Actually, Invisible Touch is second best, unless we're only counting """""prog"""" albums.

Try either Wind and Wuthering or early Marillion